PDA

View Full Version : Going to bed with damp hair - end up with bent ends.

MissHair
July 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
I've noticed that when I go to bed with damp hair my ends bend or break, pretty much all of them. I dont wear updos or braids when in bed and I thought I could just leave it as it is after a shower from a long day and go to sleep. But today I pretty much had to S&D/trim all of my ends. Does this happen to anyone else?

johnnystiletto
July 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I can't go to bed with damp hair without it being bunned or braided, or else I end up with insane tangles and breakage.

I part my hair down the center, and do two three-strand braids (plain ol' regular braids). If I leave the ends alone, they end up all 'wall-eyed', so I use a roller paper (actually, I buy rolling papers from the gas station since they're a LOT cheaper than the perm/roller papers at the beauty supply), and roll my ends, with the papers, on old-school foam rollers. No more wonky ends!

MissHair
July 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
When putting hair up in an updo when damp, doesn't your hair or head get that bumpy wave when you remove it? Thats what I have a problem with.

johnnystiletto
July 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
When putting hair up in an updo when damp, doesn't your hair or head get that bumpy wave when you remove it? Thats what I have a problem with.

I *DO* get some waves, but, since I usually wear my hair up, they don't bother me. IF I'm planning to wear my hair down, I will re-dampen my hair with a bit of water in a spray bottle and kind of finger-comb (gently!) the waves out to define them and make them look a little less weird.

I also always use fabric scrunchies to hold my braids while I'm asleep instead of the ouchless elastics; that way I don't end up with a defined "elastic line", though sometimes the area covered by the scrunchie stays a little bit wet.

My hair also holds twist waves amazingly well; I can dampen my hair, just twist small sections into a coil (as if I was going to bun), and let them air dry. That way, I end up with these loose spiral-y waves.

MeowScat
July 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
This has happened to me hundreds, maybe thousands, of times. Very frustrating.

A bun on top of my head helps as long as I don't use a scrunchie. That bends even my dry hair. Spin Pins solved that problem, they're awesome. I think I paid seven dollars for two large ones. I love them so much!

ddiana1979
July 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
I do it a few times a week and have never had trouble, but I also sleep on a silk pillowcase and don't move much in bed after I fall asleep. I basically just blot most of the moisture out with a towel, add a few drops of oil (Nightblooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil, usually) to the length, then very, VERY gently comb with a wide toothed comb before going to bed. I've done it since I was a kid (I had WL+ hair until I went to college), since I've always hated the hair fryer.

Diamond.Eyes
July 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
I never go to bed with wet or damp hair. It can have very damaging effects. Have you looked into maybe purchasing a sleeping cap?

Demi-Plum
July 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Mine doesn't, but I take my hair and I throw it over my pillow. I didn't start this because of breakage, I started doing it in summertime when the weather got hot a very long time ago. Now I just do it every night and nap as long as I'm in my bed. It keeps it out of the way and I hardly ever wake up with strands on my pillow. I'm also a side/stomach sleeper (yes I sleep with half of my body on it's side and the other half flat against the bed, don't ask I don't know how I do it either) so that might also help.

Madora
July 3rd, 2012, 11:47 AM

Personally, I'd much rather have bumpy waves than breakage from leaving it down!

Hair is at its weakest when its wet.

To prevent breakage you might want to consider some kind of sleeping cap or snood to contain your hair at night. I keep my hair in a loose braid bun on top of my head. Hardly any tangles in the morning.

spirals
July 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM
I'd just grab a spray bottle full of water (if you're 1 or 2) or curl refresher and mist the ends lightly and airdry.

Lostsoule77
July 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I've started wearing my hair in a braid or bun when I sleep to prevent breakage. I don't ever do it damp though. If you want to do it damp and not bun or braid it you should look into a sleep cap or get a silk pillowcase.

MissAlyssa
July 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Interesting, my ends always feel so much softer when I go to bed with damp hair. when I wake up I have some nice waves and my hair is super soft and has not tangles. It's really convenient to do it this way during the week when I have to wake up early

Sarahlabyrinth
July 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
I don't usually go to bed with damp hair. I wear a sleeping cap which does put kinks in my ends next morning, so I just lightly spritz the ends with water next morning and allow to air dry. Solves the problem. And if you wear a sleeping cap of satin you really don't get tangles at all, which is great.

lilliemer
July 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Yes my hair bends in whatever direction I have slept in and seems to be splittier if I go to bed with it damp. Strangely it also gets this way with damp bunning. It loses all of its wave/curl. I have to let it dry 100% before going to bed or putting it up, or else I will be really sorry with a flat coarse scratchy texture and sticky-outty ends. Happened on the way to work today actually :(

ratgirldjh
July 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
LOL
I usually do a twisted type bun for bed and have noticed that especially if my hair is damp - that if I don't get it perfectly round that I will end up with very bent bumps everywhere!

Once I thought it was all wavy and nice and my friend asked me why my hair was all bent in weird angles ;)

grrr