PDA

View Full Version : Protein

Ml001
July 2nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
I thought I might have a problem with protein because when I used certain products I would have a horrible rats nest. I stopped using conventional shampoo a year ago and I do use conditioner but I am selective. I've had occasional minimal issues here and there in the past year but I only recently learned of the protein issue so Ididnt know to look for a connection. The tangles also were nothing like what i used to get. Regardless, tonight I decided to try an egg wash as it seemed like many people obtain great results and the general consensus was the protein in the egg wouldn't affect the hair the same (something about larger molecules I think). Of course I also wasn't positive protien was really a concern anyway. I used an egg, honey and a little lemon juice. I meant to add a couple drops of jojoba oil but forgot. I did get a bit of the egg on an area of my length at the crown and it sat for a moment before I realized it had poured out more than I thought. After, I had the familiar rats nest I used to get on conventional shampoos. I did follow with an ACV rinse and it helped a little. However, even after then doing an SMT I had tangles in that area and had to apply a leave in. Does this likely mean I have a problem with protien in my products...? Based on the other ingredients I used, could there be another cause?

Allychan
July 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Did you use a whole egg or just the yolk. The white of the egg are really sticky and drying therefore should not be added to the protein mix. I eat the whites in an egg white omlette and use the yolk for my hair.

And to answer your question, yes some hair does not like protein. Protein hair masques are good for rebuilding hair structure like if your hair is overprocessed from bleach and perming solutions. Deep conditioning treatments are for people with dry hair ie if you are constantly using heat tools.

Lastly, did you follow your protein treatment with a deep conditioning? Hair always needs heaps of moisture after protein treatments.

ps my hair hates protein

Ml001
July 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I did use the entire egg. And I did a deep condition right after (with protein loaded conditioner lol). I haven't permed or colored my hair in probably three years now. I have done a little more reading up on it too and it does really seem protein is the problem. I also realized the conditioner and leave-in I have been using consistently have protein and my hair has gradually been more and more 'dry and damaged feeling' plus I have lost my curls (I realize that could be from other reasons, too). Anyway, today I clarified with a BS wash and followed with an ACV rinse and another deep conditioning treatment. It feels and looks much better but does still have room for improvement. I realize it probably won't be a quick fix. I am just going to avoid protein products for a while, deep condition often, and see what happens. Always an experiment, this hair thing. :shrug:

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find the post after I hit submit and thought some glitch happened and it hadn't actually posted. Shrugged it off because I'd typed it on the iPad and wasn't going to do it again. Found it quite by accident tonight.:)