PDA

View Full Version : Brushing up

BlackbirdFly
July 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've been hearing lately that wood brushes and wide tooth combs are best for detangling long hair without damage. Should I get one? Or do you guys have any better ideas? Help me...I'm new.

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Personally I favour the Tangle Teezer, the key to any detangling implement is that it should be seamless (most injection molded plastic has seams which can shred hair) and that it should be used in a manner which doesn't rip the hair.

Rufflebutt
July 2nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Not necessarily a wood brush, it it still has ball-pointed bristles then it's useless. I think a boar bristle brush is best. Keep in mind that BBB don't detangle, they're used to get dust and dirt out of your hair. And they distribute oils. I use one along side a wide-tooth comb.

Madora
July 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
A wide tooth comb is used for detangling, never, ever a brush.

Boar bristle brushes are the closest thing in nature that mimics hair structure and are best suited for keeping your hair healthy and shiny and soft (unless you're a curly, in which case a wide tooth comb is more curly haired friendly).

HOW you brush, and the brush that you use, determines how well your hair will look.

Here's an article I wrote (based on 40 yrs. experience):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

Always, always, always, detangle your hair before brushing! Your hair will thank you.

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I use a spray in detangler then my wide tooth comb and it works wonders.

MeowScat
July 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Definitely use a seamless, smooth wide tooth comb for detangling. I have a seamless one made of plastic and I love it. Wood combs are better at distributing oil than plastic.

100% Boar Bristle Brushes are great for distributing oil. I just bought one at Walmart for about five dollars. Others can cost a LOT more though.

I have a Tangle Teezer (cost ten dollars) and I'm undecided about it, honestly. It does detangle and smooth my hair but I could swear I hear snapping. Use it gently at first just in case. But don't go by my opinion on that one since many others here ar LHC absolutely love it.

At least start with a wide tooth comb. I have two, one in my bathroom and one in my purse. Just remember to start combing at the bottom and work your way up to your scalp. It has saved me from ripping out and breaking off so many hairs it's unbelievable.

Happy shopping! :D

Tia2010
July 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have a wide tooth wooden comb I use for detangling my wet hair and I have a wooden/bamboo brush (all wooden including wooden /bamboo bristles, not plastic) that I use when I want to brush my hair (I only use a comb when my hair is wet, after my hair is dry I use a brush) ... I bought them both at "The Body Shop".

The wooden brush feels wonderful on my scalp and doesn't damage my hair at all. I also have a BBB that I bought at Sally's (it was only like $5 I think...and it's all natural BBB) I use it at night before bed.

HintOfMint
July 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
A wide-tooth comb, I've found, was best for detangling and a boar bristle brush for styling and smoothing.

I've used a wooden pin brush before. While it felt good on my scalp, I wouldn't use it for detangling any more than I would use a plastic bristle brush for the same purpose--that is, to say, not at all.
I can't recall if it left a different finish on my hair than a plastic bristled one.

BlackbirdFly
July 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for all the help, guys!!

battles
July 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
I've bought a wide tooth horn comb and a tangle teezer.

I only use the tangle teezer now. The wide tooth comb is painful to use when trying to detangle, it won't even go through my hair.

KittyPTY
July 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I use a tangle teezer but now i bought a seamless wide tooth comb for wet detangle, i'm not sure about using tangle teezer on wet hair, is it bad?

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I use a tangle teezer but now i bought a seamless wide tooth comb for wet detangle, i'm not sure about using tangle teezer on wet hair, is it bad?

I find that it works just fine, but it depends on your hair. A wide toothed comb is probably better for combing through with conditioner.

afu
July 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I use a tangle teezer and for me it works better than any comb (I hate combs with a passion!), i always check the accumulated hairs and they are always shed ones (with root) not broken ones. The sound it makes is a bit odd to start with but it's just the bristles pinging away from tangles instead of ripping through rather than breakage occuring. I'm a curly so can't use a bbb without major frizz.

I use my TT on wet hair or damp hair (not normally on dry hair because brushing ruins curl pattern), it's great for an in-shower scalp massage :)

KittyPTY
July 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
I find that it works just fine, but it depends on your hair. A wide toothed comb is probably better for combing through with conditioner.

Someone told me that tangle teezer has a usage life, that it start breaking hair ends when it is old, i don't know if this is true?????

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Someone told me that tangle teezer has a usage life, that it start breaking hair ends when it is old, i don't know if this is true?????

Never heard of that, I know some people replace theirs if/when the bristles get bent, and maybe that damages hair, but it's about being sensible.

KittyPTY
July 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I use a tangle teezer and for me it works better than any comb (I hate combs with a passion!), i always check the accumulated hairs and they are always shed ones (with root) not broken ones. The sound it makes is a bit odd to start with but it's just the bristles pinging away from tangles instead of ripping through rather than breakage occuring. I'm a curly so can't use a bbb without major frizz.

I use my TT on wet hair or damp hair (not normally on dry hair because brushing ruins curl pattern), it's great for an in-shower scalp massage :)

It does ruin curl pattern, but it kind of leave my hair a lil bit wiry, but i use it to detangle (its so fasttttt!!!!!!!!!!!) , and then i oil and bun, then i go to sleep and i wash in the morning. I can't really use it in between washes =p

Sarahlabyrinth
July 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I use a wide toothed comb on my wet conditioned hair in the shower, then I allow my hair to air dry, and polish it daily (always with dry hair) with a BBB. Love the way it makes my hair shine and massages my scalp beautifully.