PDA

View Full Version : Any shampoo/conditioner reccomendations for extremely dry coarse hair?

Kilofey
July 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone! Im karen, just found this forum... Im a forum junkie, though the other forums I go to are for my fish and chameleon lol.

Anyhoo, im basically here because im on a mission to FIX MY HAIR!!! I need some serious help. I started a new job in april which is ruining my hair :( I work outdoors on windmills all day. Theres lots of wind, plenty of sun, and constant dust clouds, all of which have helped to completely dry my hair out in a matter of 3 months. In addition, I get my hair permanently straightened once a year (pls dont tell me not to, my hair sucks, so its a necessity... But the product my styleist uses is formaldahyde free)

My hair is so dry that I cant successfully run my fingers from scalp to ends weather my hair is dry or wet. Im looking for good shampoo/conditioner that are totally non-drying and adds an extreme ammount of moisture. Ive been looking into sls free products, as I understand theres some controversy because some sls free products have other drying/stripping ingredients.

I got 3 different ones to try out, giovanni (sls free), organix moroccan argan shampoo (sls free), and chi infra (not sls free).

This week, i tried giovanni and there is some improvement, but I want more moisture! Lol. I also tried organix moroccan argan hair oil for coarse, dry hair, and mizani supreme oil, mizani moisture milk, and giovanni leave in conditioner. If I use little bits of ALL of those, I see the most improvement and since I only use little bits of each, my hair isnt weighted down or greasy... So its working but I dont know much about shampoos and conditioners, so I could use a little help with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Try using a scarf or dew rag to cover your hair while you are at work, it's not glam but it'll keep your hair from whipping around in the wind. I use Dove Damage Control Deep Moisture once a week and Hello Hydration / None of your Frizzyness from Herbal Essences along with a very light pure Coconut Oil post shower we live in a semi arid clime so I dry out fast. Nothing fancy but it's improved my hairs softness and reduced frizzyness a lot, I also water only wash followed with that same light oiling every day that I'm not doing a CWC condition wash condition, there are threads which will explain how to. Hope this helps!

sugarpixie10988
July 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hi, welcome! Maybe you're experiencing protein overload? Whenever I use anything with protein in it, my hair gets SUPER dry and tangly, it's awful. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17) which may help!

Also, I really recommend CO (conditioner only) washes. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)explaining them, and here's the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) with tons more info. Mineral oil has also done wonders for my hair. I have fine hair, and lots of it which LOVES to tangle! Mineral oil moisturizes it and keeps it tangle free like nothing else. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225) about mineral oil!

Sorry for the massive amount of links, but they explain everything much better than I could. Hope this helps!

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
You might also want to try oiling your hair, not necessarily with mineral oil, olive oil or coconut oil should work well with coarse hair. You can either add oil to your shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191), as a leave in (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71), or heavily before washing ( I load my hair with a couple of teaspoons as long as possible before washing).

Zhennni(:
July 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
The de fabulous ginger energizing shampoo is pretty mositurizing, however my hair likes sulphate so I stoped using it. My mom uses it with great results though! it is sls free

Kilofey
July 2nd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hi, welcome! Maybe you're experiencing protein overload? Whenever I use anything with protein in it, my hair gets SUPER dry and tangly, it's awful. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=17) which may help!

Also, I really recommend CO (conditioner only) washes. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=18)explaining them, and here's the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) with tons more info. Mineral oil has also done wonders for my hair. I have fine hair, and lots of it which LOVES to tangle! Mineral oil moisturizes it and keeps it tangle free like nothing else. Here's an article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225) about mineral oil!

Sorry for the massive amount of links, but they explain everything much better than I could. Hope this helps!
Sometimes when im too lazy to shampoo, I do CO, but I feel like it really needs to be cleaned every day. When I say constant clouds of dust, its like white clouds you cant see through or breathe in, its really bad and my hair gets LOADED up with dust. Thanks for the articles, ill get to reading them after I reply to the other person :) im all game for reading at this point, somethings gotta happen!

How will I know if theres protien in it? Does it directly say "protien" in the ingredients or is it some off unpronounceable name? I must say though, with the addition of all those products, my hair has improved a bit, but im not sure ive found the right shampoo conditioner combo

Kilofey
July 2nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
The de fabulous ginger energizing shampoo is pretty mositurizing, however my hair likes sulphate so I stoped using it. My mom uses it with great results though! it is sls free

Great, thanks. Ill research it and look up some reviews online. I think my hair likes sls free because giovanni is sls free and it feels better than dove which has sls

Kilofey
July 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
You might also want to try oiling your hair, not necessarily with mineral oil, olive oil or coconut oil should work well with coarse hair. You can either add oil to your shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191), as a leave in (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71), or heavily before washing ( I load my hair with a couple of teaspoons as long as possible before washing).

I just started using 2 different hair oils a week ago and I really like them. Didnt think about pre oiling my hair, ill try it out with the less expensive oil I have lol.

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
I just started using 2 different hair oils a week ago and I really like them. Didnt think about pre oiling my hair, ill try it out with the less expensive oil I have lol.

For a pre-wash oil plain olive oil works really well.

Kilofey
July 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
Try using a scarf or dew rag to cover your hair while you are at work, it's not glam but it'll keep your hair from whipping around in the wind. I use Dove Damage Control Deep Moisture once a week and Hello Hydration / None of your Frizzyness from Herbal Essences along with a very light pure Coconut Oil post shower we live in a semi arid clime so I dry out fast. Nothing fancy but it's improved my hairs softness and reduced frizzyness a lot, I also water only wash followed with that same light oiling every day that I'm not doing a CWC condition wash condition, there are threads which will explain how to. Hope this helps!

Great idea with the scarf, I cover it up somewhat with my hard hat, but theres still space between it and my head where dirt gets under.

Wow, 4 answers and I feel like im actually getting somewhere... thank you everyone!

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
Great idea with the scarf, I cover it up somewhat with my hard hat, but theres still space between it and my head where dirt gets under.

Wow, 4 answers and I feel like im actually getting somewhere... thank you everyone!
Back when my hair was longer and I was much younger I was a caver, my hard hat never covered my hair so I'd use a dew rag every time I was busy being a tunnel rat :D Or working on cars, or playing paintball or any other rough outdoor type thing.

Nedertane
July 2nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Haha, perhaps I ought to trade you my Organix macadamia oil shampoo. I'm sure it's nice stuff like their other shampoos, but it's just too much for my hair. People who gave it good reviews stated that they had very dry and coarse hair, though, so maybe check it out.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Sometimes when im too lazy to shampoo, I do CO, but I feel like it really needs to be cleaned every day. When I say constant clouds of dust, its like white clouds you cant see through or breathe in, its really bad and my hair gets LOADED up with dust. Thanks for the articles, ill get to reading them after I reply to the other person :) im all game for reading at this point, somethings gotta happen!

How will I know if theres protien in it? Does it directly say "protien" in the ingredients or is it some off unpronounceable name? I must say though, with the addition of all those products, my hair has improved a bit, but im not sure ive found the right shampoo conditioner combo
CO does clean hair. If you're shampooing every day, you're exacerbating the real problem, which is damage from the wind, sun, dry air, dust, and straightening--that is, your hair is dry because it's damaged. You may need to do both protein treatments and moisturizing ones. This article may help you access your hair (they're written for AA hair, but really it applies to any ethnicity):
http://blackhairscience.com/hair_breakage.html

Covering your hair will help with the weather damage. As far as conditioning goes, it sounds like you're really a wavy/curly, so you might look at products aimed at curly hair, since curlies need a lot of moisture. I love the SheaMoisture line; they do have protein in them, but that may not be a problem for you. I'd also suggest cutting down on the shampoo by at least using less and diluting it--diluting allows you to get good distribution with less (SheaMoisture makes a really nice moisturizing shampoo, too).

ETA: You might want to look into a Buff. It's a tube that can be used as a head covering in various ways.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Here's a link to the Buff: http://www.buffusa.com/collections/5. They're fairly thin, so can be worn under helmets, hard hats, etc.

ApatheticFairy
July 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Have you figured out whether you've too much protein in your hair? My hair was super-dry and I realized it was because I had too much protein and not enough moisture since I was using products for damaged hair when it was healthy-ish, but simply dry and not damaged. There's an article on here about it, I'll see if I can find the link.

Kilofey
July 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Back when my hair was longer and I was much younger I was a caver, my hard hat never covered my hair so I'd use a dew rag every time I was busy being a tunnel rat :D Or working on cars, or playing paintball or any other rough outdoor type thing.

U sound like a fun loving kinda girl! Im the same way, boys get to have all the fun, so I like to participate lol

Anyway, im on day # 2 of my hair therapy regimine and it has improved even more. This could actually be working. This morning, I could run my fingers the full legnth of my hair from scalp to tips!!! I think im going to give it a little time to really see before I switch, but Im going to pick up a scarf today after work :) cause thatll definately help

SerinaDaith
July 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
I was and still am a bit of a tom boy, I've gotten older and a little busier but eventually I'll get back to all the fun.

nobeltonya
July 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
I use herbal shampoos from an Indian grocery, currently Nyle Herbals w/amla, reetha, chamomile and lemon grass. I also like Sunsilk, but I'll just about try anything as long as it's just got SLES [no SLS]. The conditioner I've found works the best [after much experimentation] is Aussie Miraculously Smooth. I get the big pump thing of it [like 29.2 oz or something]. And I've been using GF Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth leave-in cream for most of a year now, and my hair loves it. I also oil regularly, pretty much every night [wash daily in the morning]. This routine has worked wonders for my hair, which is also really coarse and frizzy. :disco:

afu
July 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
I'm another one suggesting CO (conditioner only) - when done correctly (see thread on here) it really does clean hair very well without stripping it and drying it out. I too work in a very dirty job and CO works really well for me. I would suggest oiling your hair to protect it and wrapping it in a scarf, then when you get home CO the oil/grime out. Conditioner actually works better than shampoo for removing oil for many people and oiling your hair while it's covered will not only protect it but act as a pre-wash deep oiling treatment. I always bun my hair at work, and buns are great for hiding heavy oilings even if you aren't wearing a scarf over it.

Tootsie
July 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
I have very dry coarse hair as well, uhh well sort of, I mean I used to. I have been using Morrocco Method shampoos (the whole system actually) for about 3 months now. It took a horrific month to detox from all my other chemical shampoos and for that month my hair was worse than ever, but now my hair is so soft and moisturized. I cut off a great deal in order to get rid of damage from a platinum bleach job so I am in the process of growing out a pixie. My hair is about ear length now, sooooo attractive *snort*, but I can actually shake my head and the hair moves! That had never happened to me before :). I definitely recommend his system. You can find it at www.morroccomethod.com. And no it is not the same as morrocco oil.

maborosi
July 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
I use Pantene Ice Shine and it really helps detangle and keep hair sleek. It also might be a good idea to oil and moisturize regularly. I have been using Nightblooming Panacea Winter salve on my ends and it has kept them soft, smooth, and moisturized. After your showers, taking a pea sized amount of your favortie conditioner and smoothing it into your hair can help eith additional moisturizing and detangling.

There are many good oils out there, it really just depends on what your hair likes ^^

~maborosi~

Kilofey
July 3rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
Im going to look up CO and check out moroccomethod.com, right after this reply :) I always like to look up reviews of things before I get them, but who knows maybe CO will do the trick... Lots of things to try, im excited because I already see an improvement!

Rufflebutt
July 3rd, 2012, 09:56 PM
Find a shampoo and conditioner that is made specifically for miniaturization. I recommend Tresseme, since I've had beautiful results with that brand. But not everyone's hair is the same, bear in mind.
Leave in conditioners, oil your hair, ect. Anything moisturizing is your friend!

Kilofey
July 3rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
I have very dry coarse hair as well, uhh well sort of, I mean I used to. I have been using Morrocco Method shampoos (the whole system actually) for about 3 months now. It took a horrific month to detox from all my other chemical shampoos and for that month my hair was worse than ever, but now my hair is so soft and moisturized. I cut off a great deal in order to get rid of damage from a platinum bleach job so I am in the process of growing out a pixie. My hair is about ear length now, sooooo attractive *snort*, but I can actually shake my head and the hair moves! That had never happened to me before :). I definitely recommend his system. You can find it at www.morroccomethod.com. And no it is not the same as morrocco oil.
Morocco method, sounds like a good one, ill research it a bit and check out some reviews :) im always interested in things with moroccan argan.
[QUOTE=afu;2192700]I'm another one suggesting CO (conditioner only) - when done correctly (see thread on here) it really does clean hair very well without stripping it and drying it out. I too work in a very dirty job and CO works really well for me. I would suggest oiling your hair to protect it and wrapping it in a scarf, then when you get home CO the oil/grime out. Conditioner actually works better than shampoo for removing oil for many people and oiling your hair while it's covered will not only protect it but act as a pre-wash deep oiling treatment. I always bun my hair at work, and buns are great for hiding heavy oilings even if you aren't wearing a scarf over it.[:D/QUOTE]
I just read a thread about CO, and im definately going to give it a whirl & see what happens. Im REALLY hopeing it does work well for me because I love giovanni conditioner and i can order it in a GALLON size! Which makes it only 38 cents an ounce! Giovanni conditioner is awesome, but I think ill keep the shampoo and shampoo it once a week or something (itll make me feel better lol). The shampoo gives my hair a squeaky clean feeling yet it doesnt feel stripped and tangly.

Kilofey
July 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
.... Whoops, iono what happened. That was supposed to be a quote :confused:

Kilofey
July 4th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Okay, so I tried CO last night. I read up about it and did it as directed. Today, my hair feels MORE dry. Why could this be? Is it that my hair is adjusting to the new products or could it be that my hair just really likes shampoo? The ends are whats dry, the top is fine, but the ends are significantly more dry after doing CO.

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Okay, so I tried CO last night. I read up about it and did it as directed. Today, my hair feels MORE dry. Why could this be? Is it that my hair is adjusting to the new products or could it be that my hair just really likes shampoo? The ends are whats dry, the top is fine, but the ends are significantly more dry after doing CO.

It might be that you over-rinsed, it turns out the quick conditoner rinse I did after shampoo left some of my conditioner in as leave-in. So now when I've finished my main rinse I sling a bit more conditioner in my length and give it a quick rinse through.

lapushka
July 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM
If the other suggestions aren't an option for you, then you could try conditioning twice after you shampoo (apply conditioner, let sit for a few minutes, rinse, repeat). It might help bring more moisture into the hair. You could also leave some of your conditioner in, or just don't rinse it out that well. Exactly how much you're supposed to leave in, or how much of it you're not to rinse out is something you have to experiment with.

Kilofey
July 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It might be that you over-rinsed, it turns out the quick conditoner rinse I did after shampoo left some of my conditioner in as leave-in. So now when I've finished my main rinse I sling a bit more conditioner in my length and give it a quick rinse through.

That could have been the problem. I thought since the conditioner was all dirty because I was using it as shampoo that it needed to be rinsed out completely. Ill try rinsing a little less.

Jeez, I never realized hair was so complex lol, Im learning alot! Thanks again everyone

Tootsie
July 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I CO washed for almost 10 years. It really was the best for me until I found Morrocco Method. i do need to reiterate that it is not morroccan oil. It was founded/created by a guy named Anthony Morrocco. Just don't want you to be disappointed when you see there is no argan oil, etc. in the shampoos :)

Kilofey
July 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I CO washed for almost 10 years. It really was the best for me until I found Morrocco Method. i do need to reiterate that it is not morroccan oil. It was founded/created by a guy named Anthony Morrocco. Just don't want you to be disappointed when you see there is no argan oil, etc. in the shampoos :)

I see, well im still interested. Is it a grocery store brand or a salon brand? Money is no object, my hair looking and feeling good is worth it

betsb
July 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
maborosi, can I ask which Pantene Ice Shine you use? There were two options, one with silicone and the other revitalizer.

Tootsie
July 5th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I think you can only get it from the website and it is surprisingly not that expensive because it lasts forever. I spent much more when I was a WEN girl.

Kilofey
July 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I think you can only get it from the website and it is surprisingly not that expensive because it lasts forever. I spent much more when I was a WEN girl.

Ugh, I hated WEN! I was so hopeful, I thought it was going to be the answer to all my hair issues. All it did was make my hair feel heavy with build up no matter how much I rinsed