PDA

View Full Version : Gagging for some dreadlocks!

Shona
July 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
'allo all!

Tonight I've been watching YouTube videos of deadlocks, and I want them so badly right now!
But not my whole head, maybe just a few at the nape of my neck and around in the back somewhere, maybe with some beads or other things. But natural ones that come without washing. Though I'm stumped at how I'd get only a few parts of my hair to dreads on their own while keeping the rest of my hair clean!?

Anyone else having dread cravings?

Oh no! Late night youtube searching is NOT good! :p

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
No dread cravings here, but I would suggest faking it, then your dreads would be the same length as your hair and when you got bored they could be removed damage free.

jojo
July 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Don't act on a whim or you will pay the price later down the road. Dreds are ok but I can't ever say I felt the urge to go and get some, they look nice on some people but for me, I'd scare my patients if I went to give them an injection with dreds in plus I'd be sacked.
There was a member on here a few years back who got dreds, I think she ended up combing them out which I can imagine is quite laborious , so yeah think carefully. Do a dc and take your mind off it, that's what I do when I get urges! I'm lol at your " gagging" wordage, lol x

Desdesdes
July 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM
'allo all!

Tonight I've been watching YouTube videos of deadlocks, and I want them so badly right now!
But not my whole head, maybe just a few at the nape of my neck and around in the back somewhere, maybe with some beads or other things. But natural ones that come without washing. Though I'm stumped at how I'd get only a few parts of my hair to dreads on their own while keeping the rest of my hair clean!?

Anyone else having dread cravings?

Oh no! Late night youtube searching is NOT good! :p

Good luck in whatever you decide. As a person with hip length locs I feel compelled to point out that locing your hair via not washing is a a poor idea. Grime isn't cute on anyone :shake: It is a hurtful misconception and mistake to equate dreadlocks with dirty hair. Some textures of hair may be more difficult to loc, all Locs are not created equal. Hair texture will play a huge role in determining your finished look, but dirt should have no place in the process.

Kerrilynn
July 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
No dread cravings here, but I would suggest faking it, then your dreads would be the same length as your hair and when you got bored they could be removed damage free.

I agree with Tisiloves! You can always do faux dreads and if you get tired of dealing with them just take them out! Voila! A friend of mine use hair wax to dread her hair for a party and they came out really nice. Her hair is naturally very curly and even with the wax in, her hair curled. It was really awesome looking.

You can also look up "Synthetic Dread Falls" on youtube and there are lots and lots of videos on how to make your own fake dreads and then how to put them in your hair.

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Step away from the dreads for at least two weeks, think of the pros and cons and your goal length, if you still want them then go for it.

LaFlor
July 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
I had whole head dreadlocks for a few months in highschool. I ended up getting them out with some dread removing conditioner and a few hours of brushing/combing. My hair actually looked really nice afterwards because I had been putting hemp stuff on them for the whole time and using really gentle shampoo. I'm sure I lost some hair in the process though.

All in all it was a good experience. I got a lot of attention and support from friends. I felt really cool and spiritual.

I really wish I could have kept them, but my mom grew tired of them and made me take them out.

I have made some single locks before underneath my hair. I used the backcombing method and rolled them with some wax. There are a lot of people that are against wax, but I'm not exactly sure why. I can't really remember what I did on wash day though :shrug:

Also, there are salons that do synthetic dreadlocks over your natural hair, leaving your hair intact. They are pricey, but it might be good to be able to try the look on for a while without all of the commitment. I have thought about doing this one day.

Good luck with whatever you decide :blossom:

swearnsue
July 2nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
When I read your title I wanted to open the thread to see what horrible thing you eat or drink to get dreadlocks!LOL

DreadfulWoman
July 2nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have had dreadlocks and brushed them out last year. If you want some I say go for it! If you do them at the nape of your neck they will be easy enough to hide, and you can always cut them off when you're sick of them without really effecting your hair too much overall. (Brushing them out was, as someone already mentioned, quite the process)

I know that someone else already mentioned this as well, but I will reiterate - dreads are not a result of having dirty hair. In fact, clean hair will dread up so much more nicely than dirty hair. Plus, you get to have clean hair that way! Bonus! If you do start a couple dreads back there just wash them with shampoo, and then push them out of the way when you condition, because conditioner (and oils for that matter) will not do new dreadlocks any favors.

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Thank you for being more specific about dreadlocks being clean, I have seen how lovely clean locks can look, the ones from dirty hair look well yucky.

elfgirl
July 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I've been considering/rolling the idea of dreads around for a few years now. My hair is currently just past the tips of my shoulders when down, and I'm planning to dye it in a few weeks. Basically, I'm thinking of taking a break, going non-natural for a while, then later on down the road restarting my journey. It just feels like something I should (and want) to do.

I've seen some girls with shoulder length dreads that looked very well cared for and beautiful. I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull off the same look, but am definitely going to do some research and reading before taking any major steps or making changes. :)

RadiantNeedle
July 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
The two things keeping me from giving myself dreads are 1) I have some scalp issues I think would be exacerbated by the tension/weight/different manner of washing and 2) I want to see how long I can grow my hair while I still have it. Alopecia and other issues are making a shaved head rear itself sometime in my future. I think I'd probably get dreads for a while if I knew I had to shave, but for the moment, I'm too chicken.

RileyJane
July 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
huh, ive never really thought about it....but i do agree, i would just do fake dreads so u wouldnt have to actually dread your hair :p

Amber_Maiden
July 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I love the look of dreads and I want them, but I'll never get them.

elfgirl
July 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
huh, ive never really thought about it....but i do agree, i would just do fake dreads so u wouldnt have to actually dread your hair :p
I thought about it some more today, and I might go this route :) My one friend did synthetic dreads, and they were pretty awesome :) I'll have to ask her about them ^_^

akilina
July 16th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I will always want a full head of dreads but will never do it.
In my mind, the only option to get rid of them is to shave my head or have a VERY short hair cut which I am not willing to do.

I just thought of how one of my hippy friends randomly had a dread lock magically appear on the back of her head where she slept and never really brushed her hair haha it was funny to watch her realize she had a dread for the first time.

long&blonde
July 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Loved the title of your thread. I love,absolutely love, dreadlocks too. Serinadaith, you said it exactly: "Step away from the dreadlocks." Sometimes you so love a wilder style:til you get it. I've scared myself in the bathroom mirror before,with my own variations on this. How bout settling for a local salon,or yourself if that talented,giving you 6 or 8 thick cornrow braids? I love those also,love the feel and the "right out the door"nature. The thick,just 6 to 8, I know you easily can take out yourself, did this a few times last summer.

bekstamonkey
July 16th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I had dreads for six years. One other poster really did a good job of explaining dreads, so i won't reiterate what she said, but I'll add...having a couple dreads at your nape will be problematic for hair around them...especially if you use wax. Dreads do not need wax. The stuff just attracts dirt and fluff etc, traps and sucks all that crap inside your locks...plus, waxed dreads will also pull-in (or try to) surrounding hairs (pretty much any hair that comes into contact with the dreads) that are not locked (which, in your case, you don't want)...now, this will likely also occur without the wax, and you are really likely to need to break those hairs that the dreads are trying to pull-in, to keep them separate...without doing this painful and damaging step (separating my roots was perhaps my least favourite part of having locks lol), you'd end-up with just a huge mess at the nape of your neck as the locks started pulling-in surrounding hairs and got bigger and bigger with no defined base...hope I'm making sense LOL :)

Arya
July 16th, 2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/
^
go here first.

1. dreads should be clean. clean hair dreads faster than dirty hair, because oil gives slip. Slip is bad for dreads. Dreads need to tangle. Make sense?

2. wax is bad for dreads. roll a ball of wax on the carpet and then take a look at it. Do you want that in the centre of your hair? It traps dirt and dust and oil and stank. Not very nice. Don't wax dreads.

3. if you want some dreads and some loose hair, keep brushing and conditioning the hair you don't want to dread. Stop brushing and conditioning the hair you do want to dread. The rip twist method will help them move along quickly. Anyone who tells you you need this product or that product or you need to go to a salon is just trying to take your money.

my sister is a hippie, and many friends had/have dreads. Those who started with wax cut them off a year or two later because they were nasty and gunky. those who didn't start them with wax, cut them off at knee length because they got heavy, and they were sick of having them after 10/15 years. :)

Toadstool
July 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I know someone who has had one dread at the nape/side of her neck for a few years. The rest of her hair has remained separate. I don't know how, but getting just one seems a good idea.

bekstamonkey
July 17th, 2012, 12:33 AM
You'd have to be amazingly vigilant while the locks are forming (few months) to keep non-dreaded hair away from the forming lock, either that or wrap the dread (which I never recommend, seems like it'd be a bit of a mold trap lol) or separate a couple times a day every day until the lock was 'locked' (tight).