PDA

View Full Version : Covering JUST the gray?

xoerincolleen
July 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I am developing a white streak of hair, and I really don't like the way it looks. While I do think white hair is beautiful, I'm only 20, and I don't want it yet!
My hair is a light brown with a lot of blonde tones in it, so I am hoping to cover it with something that will make it look like a blonde highlight.
Is there a dye that will only color the white and not the rest of my hair? Any advice or recommendations?

I've looked into cassia, but it's too expensive to buy enough to cover all of my hair.

TIA! :)

Arashi
July 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Maybe get a sample size of cassia and only apply it to the streak?

allycat
July 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, I'd try cassia on the white streak too. It sounds like it would be perfect with your hair color. It fades out, but with some practice you could probably do just that one area when it needs it.

I for example use henna on my roots only, just to get the greys about every 2 weeks and I use just a tablespoon per time. My one package of henna lasts forever!

Good luck with whatever you try.

sugarpixie10988
July 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
What about senna? It's really similar to cassia, and a lot cheaper. You can get it from herbco.com

jojo
July 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Cassia made my hair daffodil yellow, it wishes out but it wasn't really for me. I have a white streak that just looks like a deliberate highlight but I'm 43 so understand why as a young lady you wouldn't want this. How about using a wash in wash out dye in the same colour as your natural, I've done this in the past and it stuck to my greys making them look more golden. Loving care does a really good one that only lasts about 6 washes and is fairly cheap.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I agree with Jojo. Cassia was great when I dyed my hair brown for a year but once I went back to my usual colour, cassia did indeed give me a daffodil yellow shade. It was quite appalling, and then I had to dye my hair over again to get rid of it. Nothing else could get it out.

So I ended up dying my hair too much, and causing damage, which has only recently, finally been cut out.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
What about senna? It's really similar to cassia, and a lot cheaper. You can get it from herbco.com
Senna and cassia are the same thing. Prices might vary, though.

There are some herbs that will tint hair blondish--catnip, for example, which also have conditioning benefits. It might be something to look into. Otherwise, I'd look into a demi-permanant dye that won't harm your hair but would last for a few weeks.

jojo
July 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I agree with Jojo. Cassia was great when I dyed my hair brown for a year but once I went back to my usual colour, cassia did indeed give me a daffodil yellow shade. It was quite appalling, and then I had to dye my hair over again to get rid of it. Nothing else could get it out.

So I ended up dying my hair too much, and causing damage, which has only recently, finally been cut out.

I actually did mine the day before an interview and without thinking I wore a yellow blouse, I should have stood there and done the birdie song because I looked like a canary lol! If ever you get the urge to do this, coconut overnight oil gets it all out, I was glad to get rid of mine. :cheese: though it did make my hair fuller and on darker hair would not be a problem!
I did get the job btw way. They just have felt sorry for the yellow haired lady!

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I actually did mine the day before an interview and without thinking I wore a yellow blouse, I should have stood there and done the birdie song because I looked like a canary lol! If ever you get the urge to do this, coconut overnight oil gets it all out, I was glad to get rid of mine. :cheese: though it did make my hair fuller and on darker hair would not be a problem!
I did get the job btw way. They just have felt sorry for the yellow haired lady!
You made me laugh out loud with this. :rollin:

I'm telling you, that stuff was so embedded in my hair that there was nothing going to get it out. I soaked it in every conceivable oil, used honey soaks, day-long conditioners, you name it.

You got off lucky, canary woman.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I wanna see the daffodil hair! Or birdie hair, I'm not picky. :D

xoerincolleen
July 2nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I'm leaning towards a dye but maybe just dying that one section of my hair. I've never colored my hair before (I did try a sample henna/cassia mix on just the white and it didn't work at all, but that's it) and I don't really want to start doing my whole head. I'm not sure though, I'm going to browse around the store and see if they have anything that sticks out.

jojo, that reminds me of the dance scene in Grease where Frenchy comes in with yellow hair and a yellow dress and her date says she looks like a pineapple! ;)

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
I hope you find something, I also have a whole bunch of long white hairs on my left side, that I wish I could disguise without messing my natural color much. I haven't tried a full Cassia application, only glosses. Maybe I should try a full strength dye-released Cassia application? Just on that part of my hair.

Cassia is temporary right, even with dye release?

jojo
July 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
You made me laugh out loud with this. :rollin:

I'm telling you, that stuff was so embedded in my hair that there was nothing going to get it out. I soaked it in every conceivable oil, used honey soaks, day-long conditioners, you name it.

You got off lucky, canary woman.

LOL! Ha ha yeah canary women was me! The things we do in the name of beauty :cheese:

jojo
July 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I'm leaning towards a dye but maybe just dying that one section of my hair. I've never colored my hair before (I did try a sample henna/cassia mix on just the white and it didn't work at all, but that's it) and I don't really want to start doing my whole head. I'm not sure though, I'm going to browse around the store and see if they have anything that sticks out.

jojo, that reminds me of the dance scene in Grease where Frenchy comes in with yellow hair and a yellow dress and her date says she looks like a pineapple! ;)

a oh my good job I had my hair in a bun and not a top pony, how hideous I'd have looked :D

jojo
July 3rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
I hope you find something, I also have a whole bunch of long white hairs on my left side, that I wish I could disguise without messing my natural color much. I haven't tried a full Cassia application, only glosses. Maybe I should try a full strength dye-released Cassia application? Just on that part of my hair.

Cassia is temporary right, even with dye release?

It comes out eventually I had no problem but see franny's post she had problems, an overnight coconut oil removes it. Another thing I've just thought of which does wash out are marigold rinses, makes hair golden does nothing for improving hairs condition but does cause slight changes to the colour and doesn't damage, washes out next wash.