PDA

View Full Version : Hair toys for slippery hair?

sunflowers24
July 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hey everyone :)

I have a claw clip, kinda like this one http://www.cardiogirl.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/claw-clip.jpg

I usually wear that when I have to go out and about. Usually after my shower, take my hair down from my turbie twist, let it air out a bit and then wrap it up, clip it, and go. My hair is pretty long that at least 4-5 inches of it (when dry) will hang off and flop around. So I'm not even sure it looks all that great from the side. lol

But I notice that a lot of the time, when my hair is slippery, I am always having to pull it up because it starts sliding out of the clip. Or I have to take it down and redo it entirely.

Is there anything that holds better? THis claw clip is pretty much the strongest one I've found locally, all the others I've tried didn't have a strong enough grip. Is there anything that you all would suggest that I try?

Thanks!

Lady Neeva
July 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
I have Houdini hair and I use a Ficcare, which has a very strong grip.

Libbylou
July 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
I have slippery hair. If the style you are using your clip for is a peacock twist, I use a french twist comb. I have a plain one from Sally's for about $5. I have ordered a couple fancy ones from Amazon. These combs hold like a rock, I have even slept in them on occasion.

sunflowers24
July 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I'm looking on the ficcare site (as well as searching on here). I will read up about what size might work best for me.

I will look on Amazon/Sally's for the french twist comb!

Nae
July 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
You are quite a bit straighter than I am and wave/curl level can really effect slip so take this with a grain of salt BUT cones make my hair very slippery. I have a lot of trouble with my hairtoys and have to readjust my updos much more often when I am using cones. So you might check your conditioner and see if it has anything that ends in -one and see if that might be the problem.

Lady Neeva
July 2nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
You use DermaOrganics, yes? Cones is not much of a problem there.

Long_hair_bear
July 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Larks curly Qs hold like an f'in rock!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LarksHairSticks?section_id=7129787

They screw in as opposed to weave in like a normal hair stick. They hold my hair firmer than anything I've ever tried!

lapushka
July 2nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Is there anything that holds better? THis claw clip is pretty much the strongest one I've found locally, all the others I've tried didn't have a strong enough grip. Is there anything that you all would suggest that I try?

Ficcares and Flexi8s are awesome. Ficcares have a strong spring and hold like no other.

I still (I'm past hip) use a claw clip on most days, though, in a folded peacock twist. My claw clip is big and *kind* *of* looks like these ones (the third on the left first row, or the first on the left, second row). Mine has flat teeth, it grips better and it's way bigger than these. Shame I can't show you it properly. The claw clip you've showed typically slides out, happens to me too with those ones!
http://www.google.be/imgres?um=1&hl=nl&sa=N&biw=1160&bih=589&tbm=isch&tbnid=BQpQsaEs86kGPM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gd-wholesale.com/wholesale-dir/a28c/e1565f/beauty-set-s-1.html&docid=1afzrCiBOk01xM&imgurl=http://www.gd-wholesale.com/userimg/28/1565i1/claw-clip-item-338.jpg&w=480&h=360&ei=7C7yT-OnCYKZ-wa-x4SvAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=554&vpy=282&dur=3795&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=120&ty=115&sig=117723636939569330199&page=2&tbnh=127&tbnw=169&start=19&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:19,i:183

sapphire-o
July 3rd, 2012, 01:01 AM
The only thing I found that always works for me is Ficcare. I also use shampoo bars, and don't use any oils or conditioners so my hair can have enough drag to wear hairsticks or forks. High humidity also helps (if you want to mist your hair) hair sticks stay better. My son's hair is exactly the same. He never even comb it and it always looks like those hair on shampoo commercials. Nice to look at but impossible to do anything with.

Alienor
July 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
For my slippery hair, I have the best hold with a Ficcare too (any size : S,M or L), the flexi 8 are very nice but not the best for me.

herdaughter77
July 3rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
I have very slippery (straight and fine) hair and I use an octopus--or claw-- clip daily. I always put my hair in a bun, so that would add to holding it up. I don't know about just flipping it up and it staying like that......

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
The double combs attached by elastic work really well.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
The double combs attached by elastic work really well.

Those slide right out (my hair's too slippery and thick). It's probably the worst hair accessory I've used so far. :o

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
Those slide right out (my hair's too slippery and thick). It's probably the worst hair accessory I've used so far. :o

I have a really awesome one that I got years age where the comb tines are 3.5" long, it holds like a rock and I can't find another one anywhere:(.