PDA

View Full Version : Fresh washed hair and tangles

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
The last time when I wash my hair with the CWC method I really have enormous tangles in my hair. Its also dry as hell :(. After I used a mask or conditioner it will not better. I try anti tanglesspray but the tangles are so heavy that it did not work for me. I have to comb when it is still wet,otherwise I can't get those out of my hair. I really lose much hair right now,also from the combing of my hair.

Should I cut it and begin all over? :(

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
You have really lovely hair! The shampoo you're using may be too harsh for your hair. Try using just a tiny amount (1/2 teaspoon) diluted with about 4 oz. of water (sorry, I know you probably use the metric system). Diluting helps to distribute it better, and you can use less. Also try using a richer conditioner for the second condition stage. If you're still having trouble, then I would try CO rather than CWC.

The other problem may be that you need to clarify, or that your water is hard (full of minerals). If you haven't clarified in a while, that might be a good idea.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
What is the overall condition of your hair? Is it otherwise healthy, or is there a lot of damage? If it's not damaged, there's really no point in starting over, because your hair isn't going to magically change its tangleness! If it is badly damaged, then maybe it is worth getting a cut.

However, maybe instead you should look at the products you're using. When you wash your hair, how much do you mess it up? I always brush my hair before showering, and in doing so I avoid much tangling at all. The worst I have is maybe one or two knots that take a couple of moments to remove. My hair always feels slippery after washing!

What sort of conditioner do you use? Are you avoiding cones, for example? I find cones add extra slip. Some people are against them, but I find they make my hair nicer and easier too!

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
You have really lovely hair! The shampoo you're using may be too harsh for your hair. Try using just a tiny amount (1/2 teaspoon) diluted with about 4 oz. of water (sorry, I know you probably use the metric system). Diluting helps to distribute it better, and you can use less. Also try using a richer conditioner for the second condition stage. If you're still having trouble, then I would try CO rather than CWC.

The other problem may be that you need to clarify, or that your water is hard (full of minerals). If you haven't clarified in a while, that might be a good idea.

Thank you for your advice. I will dilute my shampoo and looks what it do. A Co method I tried at the past but my scalp is not happy with this and is gonna be itchy to. I have many hair loss also from a CO.

It is true that the water is very hard here.. I clarified past week but it did not help me out. it was with vinegar (apple).

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
What is the overall condition of your hair? Is it otherwise healthy, or is there a lot of damage? If it's not damaged, there's really no point in starting over, because your hair isn't going to magically change its tangleness! If it is badly damaged, then maybe it is worth getting a cut.

However, maybe instead you should look at the products you're using. When you wash your hair, how much do you mess it up? I always brush my hair before showering, and in doing so I avoid much tangling at all. The worst I have is maybe one or two knots that take a couple of moments to remove. My hair always feels slippery after washing!

What sort of conditioner do you use? Are you avoiding cones, for example? I find cones add extra slip. Some people are against them, but I find they make my hair nicer and easier too!

My hair has always been dry but not as worse as now..There is no markable damage but I had color it in the past with henna and I have dark lenghts,so that could be another reason for cutting it.
I try to not mess it up very hard but I want the shampoo all over my scalp because otherwise it wis be itchy because my scalp is fastly greasy. Now I used a mild shampoo but its the same. Maybe I should try very thick conditioners. I do not watch if there are cones in my products. I use them too.

In the past my hair was also very slippery after washing it..I wonder if the honey bleach has damaged my hair :s

Silverbrumby
July 2nd, 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm thinking that if you put in the conditioner say 2 hours before washing then wash the conditioner will act as a very gentle clarifying agent. Then shampoo with sulfate free and condition again.

I'm loving the LOreal range at the moment and it's not too expensive. Also like the Aussie 3mm Conditioner for a deep conditioner. I use the Garnier leave in conditioner and I'm pretty tangle free. But my hair isn't long so that might be it.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM
Thank you for your advice. I will dilute my shampoo and looks what it do. A Co method I tried at the past but my scalp is not happy with this and is gonna be itchy to. I have many hair loss also from a CO.

It is true that the water is very hard here.. I clarified past week but it did not help me out. it was with vinegar (apple).
ACV doesn't clarify. You need to use shampoo for that--something with SLS, but no conditioner or cones in it. But since you have hard water, I think that may be your problem. Can you get a chelating shampoo there? Joico makes one, but I have no idea if you can get it in Belgium. If you can get citric acid (it's a powder), you can also do citric acid rinses that will help with the hard water (1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water as a final rinse). I have hard water, too, and the citric acid rinses have really helped my hair.

I hope you can understand this OK--I know English isn't your native language. If you don't understand anything, just ask.

sazzie88
July 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
I had exactly the same trouble for a long time. Dry and tangly hair it drove me crazy! What did help was oiling over night before a wash. I tried coconut oil, I tried caster oil but what did work was good ole sunflower oil. But don't do your roots it will never come out. I put conditioner on my hair first then the oil and left it. The following day no more tangles!

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
ACV doesn't clarify. You need to use shampoo for that--something with SLS, but no conditioner or cones in it. But since you have hard water, I think that may be your problem. Can you get a chelating shampoo there? Joico makes one, but I have no idea if you can get it in Belgium. If you can get citric acid (it's a powder), you can also do citric acid rinses that will help with the hard water (1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water as a final rinse). I have hard water, too, and the citric acid rinses have really helped my hair.

I hope you can understand this OK--I know English isn't your native language. If you don't understand anything, just ask.

I have searched for the Joico,it will cost me 18 euro for a bottle of 200 ml. I think that's way to much...

Maybe I must have take a look from the citric acid powder.. Should they sell it in nature stores?
:)

gracenotes
July 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hard water can really be awful for hair! I lived in an area with very hard water for several months and found that a very weak dilution of lemon juice (1 drop per cup of water--less is definitely more!) was the best thing for my hair in that environment. The citric acid in lemon juice helps chelate minerals in hard water. You can use fresh lemons, but I found that it was much easier to just buy bottled lemon juice.

If you're interested in trying this, here is what I did:
1. Fill a pitcher or large glass with water. For every cup of water, add 1 drop of lemon juice. It is a very, very weak dilution. More lemon will not make this work any better, it will just make your hair more dry!
2. Saturate your hair with the lemon water
3. (I am going to assume you are using the CWC method) Apply shampoo and conditioner.
4. Rinse out shampoo and conditioner with more of the lemon water and finish your CWC. The key is to not let the regular water from your shower touch your hair at all unless it has been mixed with a tiny amount of lemon juice. You're basically just washing your hair in lemon water instead of shower water.

This sounds very labor-intensive, but it really saved my hair when I had hard water!

Some things to be aware of:
1. Even in small amounts, lemon juice can be drying, depending on your hair type. You might not want to use this method every time you wash your hair, or you might want to try a heavier conditioner if you feel like the lemon is too drying.
2. I can't stress enough how important it is to use as little lemon as possible!
3. Lemon juice can have a lightening effect on hair. If you don't want to risk it, avoid using lemon juice.

Other things that might help are Joico chelating shampoo and/or occasionally soaking your hair in club soda/soda water.

Good luck!

Sundial
July 2nd, 2012, 02:37 AM
Hi! I CWC too but I dilute my shampoo before use :) also, maybe you can try a conditioner with silicone for your last C? I previously used Giovanni for both my conditioning, but when I started to CWC more I realize it is too dry for me and causes a lot of tangles. I switched my last C to Loreal EverSleek because I still want to be cone-free but the conditioner still gives me enough slip to reduce tangles

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
Yeah,the club soda was something i would like to try but here in Belgium we don't sell the 2 club soda waters that Ktani had mentioned in another topic.

Madora
July 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
You also might want to consider how you are using your fingers when you shampoo and condition.

You can eliminate a lot of tangle problems by:

1) detangling your hair before getting it wet
2) dividing your hair in two sections and keeping them separate
during the entire time
3) using your fingerpads in one direction at a time...I mean, shampoo from the top of your head down the right hand side, then the left hand side, then from the back of the head to the nape
4) then use your fingerpads on your scalp from front to back

A cold rinse after conditioning might help too

You also might try diluting both your shampoo and conditioner

Lastly, Mineral Oil (also known as baby oil) is a great detangler.

It works best on damp hair that has been clarified first. The mineral oil should only contain mineral oil plus a fragrance.

Application:

Put 2 or 3 drops of mineral oil in a dish
dip a Q-tip into the oil
Take the Q-tip and apply it to your palms and fingers
Run your fingers and palms down through your hair several times

Finger comb
Detangle gently and slowly with a wide tooth comb

Hope this helps!

spidermom
July 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Try not to mess your hair around too much when you wash it. I comb out my dry hair in the position I'm going to wash it, most often standing up straight with my hair hanging down. Then in the shower I dilute my shampoo in warm water in an empty conditioner bottle and squirt it all over my scalp. I wash by running my fingers in one direction only - from the face backwards toward nape of neck. I never use a scrambling motion that will mess my hair around and tangle it. Then I rinse that and apply conditioner to length only, never scalp. Sometimes I comb the conditioner through with my shower comb, sometimes with my fingers. Then I rinse and leave my hair alone until it's dry.

The tangles aren't too bad when I do it that way.

Tisiloves
July 2nd, 2012, 07:48 AM
Try adding a touch of oil to your last C and fingercombing it through, The fewer tangles you have in the shower the fewer tangles you should have wen you get out.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
I noticed in one of your albums that you've used ColorB4. Did the dryness start after using this, or did you have dry hair before? It might have something to do with it.

I'd try pre-oil treatments, or something else equally moisturizing on your hair. Make sure it's well-conditioned and slippery (even if you have to use cones). Instead of CWC, you might try washing it first, then conditioning twice, or using a heavy mask on it.

Amygirl8
July 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I find that the only thing that works for me is slathering my hair in conditioner.
When I was younger and my mom was in charge, it took her ages to comb through my hair after washing. Now I just detangle quickly with a wide tooth comb and fully comb it out with a fine-tooth comb, and have no tangles.
Our hair type seems fairly similar, except mine is more fine. I just use a bunch of conditioner, and that seems to work.

Aveeno has an excellent line of wheat-based shampoos and conditioners. I have yet to see them mentioned on this forum, but after nightmares with Pantene, Herbal Essences and L'Oreal shampoos, it became my Holy Grail XD
(I also do a CWCWC method when I wash my hair. I need to use both Dandruff and regular shampoo, because by themselves they create terrible dandruff)

Wildcat Diva
July 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Clarifying might be a big help to you. Just my thought.

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'd say clarify and then try diluting your hair care products. Try a spray in detangler then comb the knots out.

summergame
July 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
I noticed in one of your albums that you've used ColorB4. Did the dryness start after using this, or did you have dry hair before? It might have something to do with it.

I'd try pre-oil treatments, or something else equally moisturizing on your hair. Make sure it's well-conditioned and slippery (even if you have to use cones). Instead of CWC, you might try washing it first, then conditioning twice, or using a heavy mask on it.

No it was not right after using it that my hair becomes dry and full of tangles,its about a month now...

I find the chelating shampoos very heavy priced... maybe I should try the lemon method to clean my hair.. Thank you guys! I hope that something will work for me!