PDA

View Full Version : Adding coconut oil to condish?

Cocoa_Crema
July 1st, 2012, 09:27 PM
I love coconut oil, but I know that I was overdoing it not too long ago. I was very tempted to slather coconut oil into my hair daily, and it was starting to look quite greasy. So I've stopped doing it as often.

However, I added about two tablespoons of the oil to the new VO5 Shea Cashmere conditioner.

Do any of you add coconut oil or other oils into your conditioner?

How does it feel? Does it give good results?

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
I used a tablespoon or so of olive oil in my last deep treatment, it was great! no frizz in my wurls at all! I'm suprised it wasn't greasy at all! I think that using the oil in conditioner is a wonderful idea if your hair loves coconut oil (mine HATES it with a passion).

Cocoa_Crema
July 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I added it directly to the bottle and then shook it up. Now when I shower I will get an infusion of coco oil.

Holly, did you add the olive oil to the bottle or just mixed in during your shower?

Thanks!

firegypsy
July 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM
Great question. The article I read said the benefits are significant (if your hair likes coconut oil...mine does, but not as a leave in) if you shampoo it in. I was going to add it to the poo for now, until I wean off of it for good. Maybe adding to the conditioner would be a good move...

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have heard that coconut oil in your shampoo will help the oil penetrate your hair better I know there is a whole scientific dissertation on it somewhere on this site it had something to do with breaking down the oil molecules so that they absorb better. I do a VERY light oil every day after my WO wash and so far a month later I just have shiny hair with better defined curls.

HintOfMint
July 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
I've found that it's just as easy to overdo coconut oil in conditioner as it is to overdo it when styling or deep conditioning, so I would be careful. There's just as much trial and error in not only the first wash, but the ones after as well.

But when it works, my god does it work.

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
I put it on before my final condition so it mixes with conditioner on my hair. It helps the conditioner wash out and makes me extra sleek.

lmfbs
July 1st, 2012, 10:05 PM
How do you keep it liquid? My coconut oil is solid almost all the time?

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
I keep mine in a sunny window.

Cocoa_Crema
July 2nd, 2012, 01:09 AM
I live in Arizona and it is usually liquid year round. if the oil is too cold it gets rock hard. If it is at room temperature it might by kind like butter and you can easily spoon it out. You can heat it up with your palms.

I love coconut oil too much!

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
it melts at 76 degrees. I guess whether or not it's liquid depends on your house temp!

Jing
July 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
I put a bit of coconut oil in a mister bottle with distilled water and spray my hair when it's halfway dried after a wash. Hadn't done it for a long time before today, actually.

kitschy
July 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
I slather on VO5 conditioner, then add a few good squirts of Mineral Oil and leave on my head while I soap and shave, then I rinse it out, reapply conditioner and rinse. It does wonders for my curls! I'm going to keep doing it once or twice a week for as long as it works as well as it has been for the last couple of months.

(I know, I know!! But isn't Mineral Oil bad for your scalp, hair, environment, etc. etc. etc.....)

Xxanderia
July 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have added vitamin E oil to both my shampoo and conditioner bottles. I've done this for years and it helps so much. I've found (as tedious as it is) that for some reason the capsules work better for me than the already made oil version. It just takes forever to puncture the capsules and squeeze them into the bottles. Worth it though!