PDA

View Full Version : So Sad about my hair. Any advice?

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I used to bleach my hair a lot and noticed that my hair started to thin at the front of my scalp. There is no scar tissue that I know of. I have stopped bleaching but my hair has not filled in.

I have started using Monistat and Nizoral about 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any new hair. I'm so so bummed about my thinning hair. Here is a pic of the thinning that can be seen at my part. That small mole you can see in my part near my forehead has never been visible til now :(

https://col118.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=168ed09c-c3e8-11e1-a059-00237de49fac&Aux=814%7C0%7C8CF260C053FF570%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7 C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxJTUcwMTMzNS0yMDEyMDcwMS0xOTQ2LmpwZ3xpbWFnZ S9qcGVn

And the back view - sorry about the toilet in background :o The back does not look bad luckily (I will start micro trimming to fill in the hem and get rid of the layers slowly.)

https://col118.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=cfb5abbf-c3e9-11e1-8376-002264c1d61c&Aux=814%7C0%7C8CF260DB6861480%7C%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7 C%7C&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att&blob=MHxJTUcwMTM1OC0yMDEyMDcwMS0yMDAwLmpwZ3xpbWFnZ S9qcGVn

Any words of wisdom, advice, and comfort you can offer?

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I can't see your pictures White Lavender. How did you insert them? I think it only works if you link to a photo sharing site or something (at least that's what I've done in the past).

As far as thinning hair at the front of your head, I was just posting in another thread how I'm using Monistat to try to get my hair to regrow there as well, so you are not alone!!! I've only really noticed over the past few months how my scalp is much more visible at my hairline than it used to be. I was so self conscious of this that I cut bangs to try to hide it (and I don't like bangs on me... and it turns out I can't wear them well because I just move them off my face, because they're annoying!).

I have considered using Rogaine to try to combat the issue, but I'm a bit scared, as I've heard that you have to keep using it forever or the hair will just fall out again. I would really like to resolve the issue naturally if I can.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Don't lose hope, but you will ned to be very, very patient. The bleach has likely damaged your hair enough so that it was breaking at the hairline, especially if there was any additional stress there (hairband, etc.). You'll have to grow all the damage out, but if you're careful with the new growth, you'll have healthy hair within a few years. Unfortunately, growing hair isn't a speedy thing, but it will happen. :)

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hi, Mesmerise, I used the 'insert image' and then used the pics's web address when I emailed them to myself. That's funny, I can see them in my post, but you can't

petali
July 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
What is Nizoral? Where is your picture? But anyway, to prevent further thinning, you should finger-comb only or use a wide-tooth comb, be very gentle with your hair, because styling products such as hair gel and hairspray can make your hair fall out. Can you notice your hair falling out, and is your hair still thinning at a big rate? I have no previous experience with bleach, but I know there are some shampoos that help with thinning: see this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742d0W-2T-k

Good Luck!

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
Can you see this pic?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2127/img01335201207011946.jpg

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM
and here's the back:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9127/img01358201207012000.jpg

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 09:05 PM
What is Nizoral? Where is your picture? But anyway, to prevent further thinning, you should finger-comb only or use a wide-tooth comb, be very gentle with your hair, because styling products such as hair gel and hairspray can make your hair fall out. Can you notice your hair falling out, and is your hair still thinning at a big rate? I have no previous experience with bleach, but I know there are some shampoos that help with thinning: see this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742d0W-2T-k

Good Luck!

Nizoral is a anti-dandruff, anti-fugal shampoo that is used off-label to regrow hair.
Thanks, I do use a wide tooth comb and try to be gentle.

I don't really notice it falling out. It seems like normal amount of shedding. These days I am paying attention and I would say it is about 50 or less hairs a day. So hopefully that is a good sign.

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM
I think your hair in the back looks lovely. I bet your scalp will grow in better with good care plus time. Spend some time on here, make some gentle decisions. And you will start seeing progress. Good luck.

petali
July 1st, 2012, 09:31 PM
Don't worry, your hair looks fine, and just give some time, your hair will grow back.

Rufflebutt
July 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Get it checked out by a doctor if you're really worried. It's possible that the bleach may not be the cause for your thinned hair.

owlathena
July 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hang in there! I know it feels like forever, but three weeks isn't a very long time. Sometimes my hair wont grow at all for a couple months, and then it'll grow really fast for a couple months. Its a mystery to me, but thats how it works for a lot of folks. Just keep being nice to it, and try not to dwell. I dont really have any advice for the thinning though, except maybe to take a look at your diet and make sure you're not lacking anything?

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Get it checked out by a doctor if you're really worried. It's possible that the bleach may not be the cause for your thinned hair.

Thanks, Rufflebutt,
I have an appointment to get my blood and urine checked this week to see if my diet is hurting my health / hair. I'm doing a low carb diet on weekdays and I eat whatever I want on weekends. My doctor knows about my diet.

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hang in there! I know it feels like forever, but three weeks isn't a very long time. Sometimes my hair wont grow at all for a couple months, and then it'll grow really fast for a couple months. Its a mystery to me, but thats how it works for a lot of folks. Just keep being nice to it, and try not to dwell. I dont really have any advice for the thinning though, except maybe to take a look at your diet and make sure you're not lacking anything?

Thanks, Owlathena, I hope it starts to grow; I can easily see thinning and small bald spots near my hair line. I will keep being nice and gentle to my scalp and hair from now on :)

My diet is lacking a lot since I'm doing low carbs on weekdays but I take a lot of vitamin and mineral supplements. Anyway, I will get my blood/urine checked this week to make sure.

blondebazinga
July 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM
I can't see the pictures since I'm a newbie, but I'm in the same boat as you. I bleached my hair 3x :( and I found nothing worked for me. I tried everything, and when I say everything I really do mean every remedie or routine. What I have found to work: Since bleached hair is very porous and usually lacks protein M&T has worked wonders on my hair. When I do deep treatments I love 'Hollywood Beauty Castor oil with Mink Oil'. With the Hollywood Beauty you have to be extreamly consistant, 2x a week should be efficiant. Your hair is going to be disgusting after you massage it into the scalp think vasoline like look. Considering that your hair is bleached it should absorb relatively well. Overnight oilings with EVOO are also great, but being blonde it is extreamly hard to get away with oily locks. Good luck :D :blossom:

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Owlathena, I hope it starts to grow; I can easily see thinning and small bald spots near my hair line. I will keep being nice and gentle to my scalp and hair from now on :)

My diet is lacking a lot since I'm doing low carbs on weekdays but I take a lot of vitamin and mineral supplements. Anyway, I will get my blood/urine checked this week to make sure.
Supplements won't make up for a diet that's lacking in nutrients--pills just can't provide all the micronutrients in food. If your diet isn't healthy, I would work on that rather than taking supplements.

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Supplements won't make up for a diet that's lacking in nutrients--pills just can't provide all the micronutrients in food. If your diet isn't healthy, I would work on that rather than taking supplements.

I know this is true. I am doing a low carb diet to lose weight. Luckily, I am close to my goal now. In a couple months I will be at my weight goal then I will start to incorporate foods that are now lacking.
Also, there are more healthy choices I can make now - more salads and veggies and less fat and meats. Thanks.

Silverbrumby
July 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Things you might want to get tested if it's covered:

1. Thyroid function

2. Iron Levels

What is your wash routine?

What products do you use?

What supplements do you take?

Do you still use heat on your hair and if so how often and what kind. Blow Fry? Hot Iron?

Has your scalp changed e.g. sore or flaky lately?

Is your hair snapping off or is there a little bulb on the end of the shed hair?

BTW I shed way over 50 everyday and over 100 on wash days.

momoftwo708
July 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
Don't loose hope I don't think your hair is all that bad
My hair is awful, I dyed my hair a tons of times the past two months and my hair is thinning and the ends but a few things I started to do since I join this forum is egg olive oil hair treatments cut off heating tools and washing everyother day and monistat, but I'm sure the doctor can help you about your scalp. Don't stress out like I said your hair doesn't look that bad

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM
Things you might want to get tested if it's covered:

1. Thyroid function

2. Iron Levels

What is your wash routine?

What products do you use?

What supplements do you take?

Do you still use heat on your hair and if so how often and what kind. Blow Fry? Hot Iron?

Has your scalp changed e.g. sore or flaky lately?

Is your hair snapping off or is there a little bulb on the end of the shed hair?

BTW I shed way over 50 everyday and over 100 on wash days.

Yes, my lab requisition has thyroid and iron levels checked off (as well as many other tests.)

I used to do everything damaging in the book til I found LHC! I washed and blow dried daily and to get my hair to look decent - flat ironed daily. I used to dye and highlight my hair every month or 6 weeks
But now - I was only wash 2-4 times a week doing CWC. I only air dry now and don't use my flat iron. Haven't coloured my hair since February and have used Cassia the other day to add some gold tones naturally.

The shed hairs don't have any bulbs on them.

My scalp is not flaky or sore or itchy.

Silverbrumby
July 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, my lab requisition has thyroid and iron levels checked off (as well as many other tests.)

I used to do everything damaging in the book til I found LHC! I washed and blow dried daily and to get my hair to look decent - flat ironed daily. I used to dye and highlight my hair every month or 6 weeks
But now - I was only wash 2-4 times a week doing CWC. I only air dry now and don't use my flat iron. Haven't coloured my hair since February and have used Cassia the other day to add some gold tones naturally.

So you stopped the damaging practices a month ago or so? Just getting a feel for the when.

Also forgot to ask. Are you dieting and have you lost a lot of weight recently? Stress? Both of those things can lead to hair loss.

If you have only just stopped doing those things then all your hair except the inch or so damaged. You can baby it and if it's strong it will get better but it can't reverse whats been done. Trims will eventually get rid of the damaged areas. The longer the hair the more damage it's been exposed to.

I'm wondering if you have switched to a sulfate free shampoo? I found this made a big difference to the health of my scalp.

Supplements I've used to help with my hair thinning are:

1. Monistat - squeeze out 1/2 an inch or so after every wash and rub it through scalp. It's helped with increasing my hair thickness.

2. Biotin - Seems to have really helped my hair and nails.

3. Evening primrose oil, can't hurt I figure.

4. Vit D when I don't get much sun.

5. MSM

tinywife
July 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Your hair really doesn't seem thin from the back, so that's good news!
Have you been pulling it into tight styles? Wearing the same part every day? Those will both cause thinning in a particular spot.

tinywife
July 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Forgot to say - castor oil helped me regrow my over-plucked eyebrows. There's a thread about it somewhere.

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
So you stopped the damaging practices a month ago or so? Just getting a feel for the when.

Also forgot to ask. Are you dieting and have you lost a lot of weight recently? Stress? Both of those things can lead to hair loss.

If you have only just stopped doing those things then all your hair except the inch or so damaged. You can baby it and if it's strong it will get better but it can't reverse whats been done. Trims will eventually get rid of the damaged areas. The longer the hair the more damage it's been exposed to.

I'm wondering if you have switched to a sulfate free shampoo? I found this made a big difference to the health of my scalp.

Supplements I've used to help with my hair thinning are:

1. Monistat - squeeze out 1/2 an inch or so after every wash and rub it through scalp. It's helped with increasing my hair thickness.

2. Biotin - Seems to have really helped my hair and nails.

3. Evening primrose oil, can't hurt I figure.

4. Vit D when I don't get much fun.

Yes, about a month since I stopped my hair damaging ways.
But, I've been using sulfate free shampoo for about 3 or 4 months.

Yes, I am dieting to get into bikini shape :o I am almost at my goal weight. I have been dieting (low carb / med to high protein / high fat for at least 6 months (and eating whatever I want on weekends.) This is a slow diet (maybe lose 2 to 5 lbs a month) but you also don't count or limit your calories.
Stress? not more than usual.

The length is not too bad considering everything - I will do micro trims to get rid of the layers I got in Feb and to fill in the hem.

It is the visible scalp near my forehead that worries me.

I am applying Monistat right now. I was diluting it the first two weeks but this week I've been applying in full strength from the tube. Maybe it was too diluted before.

Thanks to you and to everyone! I feel a bit better. I was just worried my hair would never grow back but now I have some hope that it might grow back :guns:

White Lavender
July 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM
Your hair really doesn't seem thin from the back, so that's good news!
Have you been pulling it into tight styles? Wearing the same part every day? Those will both cause thinning in a particular spot.

No, I never wear tight hairstyles as I find them too uncomfortable. I occasionally wear my hair in a loose bun with the ends tucked in to hold the bun in place (no clips or anything used.)

I change my part all the time to give myself a different look. Unfortunately, there are now certain parts I cannot do or you see scalp :(

I will look for castor oil and I also heard mustard oil is good.
Cheers!

Miss Maisie
July 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Part of the reason I joined LHC/stopped using flat irons/etc is because I felt like my hair was thinning at the front. It's taken a year, but my hair looks 100% better. Things I changed:

Gave up flat ironing completely (was doing it daily)
began oiling my hair
Started taking multivitamins
I began handling my hair/scalp much more gently
stopped dying my hair

Like I said, it's taken a year. I know it's tough, but try to be patient. It took a while for my hair to thicken back up, but it is.

Good luck!!

EvaSimone
July 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
Okay here goes. Your hair looks damaged and dry, your hair isn't thinning because you have a health issue it's breaking because it's badly damaged.

I used to dye my hair and I started to thin too, it took me completely stopping the dye and heat styling and gradually trimming off the damage to get my hair to grow back.

Three weeks isn't enough... most likely it will take you a full year to make a substantial change and 1-2 more after that to get rid of all of the damage.

It took me around 3 years to cut off all of the damage and I now have virgin hair about 2" above tailbone. So it's possible to rehabilitate your hair but it takes a lot of time, patience and dedication. The problem with the beauty industry now-a-days is that they try to tell people that years of damage can be fixed with only one special treatment of something or other and that's simply not true.

My advice would be to do one final dye using a no ammonia, gentle dye. Sallys Beauty sells them for ethnic women with coarse hair. Dye your hair back as close to your natural shade. Then stop dying or bleaching it, you might end up needing to do a second dye treatment later on because the bleach makes your hair porous.

I'd invest in a good leave in and try going sulfate and silicone free. Start doing deep treatments regularly, use a leave in every day and start protective styling your hair. No more heat and no more blow drying. That's what I did with my hair and it's paid off quite a bit.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Okay here goes. Your hair looks damaged and dry, your hair isn't thinning because you have a health issue it's breaking because it's badly damaged.

I used to dye my hair and I started to thin too, it took me completely stopping the dye and heat styling and gradually trimming off the damage to get my hair to grow back.

Three weeks isn't enough... most likely it will take you a full year to make a substantial change and 1-2 more after that to get rid of all of the damage.

It took me around 3 years to cut off all of the damage and I now have virgin hair about 2" above tailbone. So it's possible to rehabilitate your hair but it takes a lot of time, patience and dedication. The problem with the beauty industry now-a-days is that they try to tell people that years of damage can be fixed with only one special treatment of something or other and that's simply not true.

I agree that hair damage can cause thinner looking hair, because the hair breaks, BUT her problem isn't that her hair is thinner itself, it's that it is thinning AT the scalp, and as she said in her first post, the hairs don't seem to have started to grow back in yet. It's one thing for the actual thickness of hair to go down due to breakage, and quite another to have thinning at the scalp where you can see the hairs growing much more sparsely than they should

If her hair had just broken off at the scalp, it would be different. I had hair damaged so that it broke off at the scalp, and I could feel all these stubbly bits!! The stubbly bits looked bad, but were a good indication that the hair was going to recover. That's different to the way my hair is now, where I can see a lot more scalp at the crown area AND I haven't done anything damaging to my hair for a good 18 months!

When there's thinning at the hairline, I would definitely consider a health issue rather than a hair damage issue.

Silverbrumby
July 2nd, 2012, 01:40 AM
I agree that hair damage can cause thinner looking hair, because the hair breaks, BUT her problem isn't that her hair is thinner itself, it's that it is thinning AT the scalp, and as she said in her first post, the hairs don't seem to have started to grow back in yet. It's one thing for the actual thickness of hair to go down due to breakage, and quite another to have thinning at the scalp where you can see the hairs growing much more sparsely than they should

If her hair had just broken off at the scalp, it would be different. I had hair damaged so that it broke off at the scalp, and I could feel all these stubbly bits!! The stubbly bits looked bad, but were a good indication that the hair was going to recover. That's different to the way my hair is now, where I can see a lot more scalp at the crown area AND I haven't done anything damaging to my hair for a good 18 months!

When there's thinning at the hairline, I would definitely consider a health issue rather than a hair damage issue.

I helped reverse some of the thinning at the with monistat around the temples. It was male pattern like when it first came in, now it's gone. I think I had age related linked to the fact my estrogen descreasing

...The hormones with the most direct effect on hair growth are androgens, the male sex hormones that include testosterone. Both men and women produce androgens--a gender just produces more of one and less of the other. Facial and body hair are considered secondary sex characteristics that form in response to androgens. Sensitivity to and overproduction of androgens in women can lead to hirsutism, or excess body and facial hair. Sometimes the extra effect is due to a condition such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, in which excess androgen production is a symptom, and in other cases no specific cause is apparent. Androgens also contribute to male- and female-pattern baldness, somehow preventing hair follicles from transitioning out of their normal resting phase.

For me I found that monistat helped. It was talked about how the effects of monistat might turn the male hormone receptors off at the folical in a news article on you tube by a dermatologist. How it might counter the hormonal shift in women at the scalp.

In the ops case she has been dieting for over 6 months. I lose hair when dieting, shed more than usual. I'm thinking there might be a connection. Only when she gets to goal weight and goes back to maintenance eating will that show as being the issue.

Toadstool
July 2nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/289301-low-carb-diet-hair-loss/

I googled low carb and hair loss and found LOTS of links. Some said it was the body using available nutrients for more essential functions, others that it affected a thyroid hormone but not one that would show up in a normal thyroid function test.
http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too-fast-may-trigger-thyroid-troubles-and-hormone-imbalance/

You may have to decide between losing weight and not losing hair. i would forgo the diet, but obviously YMMV. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. You have nice hair btw.
ETA Also of course, if your diet is making you lose hair, it is obviously bad for your health in general.

White Lavender
July 2nd, 2012, 02:15 AM
http://www.livestrong.com/article/289301-low-carb-diet-hair-loss/

I googled low carb and hair loss and found LOTS of links. Some said it was the body using available nutrients for more essential functions, others that it affected a thyroid hormone but not one that would show up in a normal thyroid function test.
http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too-fast-may-trigger-thyroid-troubles-and-hormone-imbalance/

You may have to decide between losing weight and not losing hair. i would forgo the diet, but obviously YMMV. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted. You have nice hair btw.

Thanks, Toadstool. Hmm, the only other time I had hair loss was when I was heavily dieting in university. But that was a hard core low calorie diet. Perhaps this is the way my body responds to long term diets (I don't have hair loss when dieting short term.)
My hair did regrow after I stopped that university diet so hopefully that will be the case this time.

For now, I will eat more veggies / salads which are allowed on my diet but I haven't been eating much of.
Will eat lots of fruit on weekends which I haven't been doing.
Will see what my lab results are and, if they are abnormal, just get off this diet completely.
Will see if the supplements I'm taking are hurting more than helping? I'm taking a LOT.

EvaSimone
July 2nd, 2012, 03:47 AM

I suppose so. Her length shot looks highly damaged which is why I think its more likely damage. I didn't feel stubbly bits with my hair when it was growing back so I personally think its possible to have hair grow back without any obvious stubble.. I also had thinning at the scalp, I believe the frequent dying was breaking my hair off very close to the scalp. In her picture her highlights are barely grown out...Perhaps its a combination of damage and another health issue?

Louise148
July 2nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
I used to bleach and flat iron my hair and noticed the same thing...my hairline was looking thinner. Eventually I had a small bit of my front section of hair snap off to about two inches. That was the turning point for me, when I knew I had to be more gentle with my hair. So I dyed it back to my natural colour and had it cut short (it wasn't actually long it was probably about 5" or so) into a pixie which was about 2" all over.

I am now in the process of growing that out. It's been about 5 months snice I last colored it or used the flat irons and I hardly ever blow dry it (about once a week) and I am starting to see very small hair collecting around my hairline now which I am hoping are new healthy hairs growing back. :)

Give it some more time and lots of TLC and hopefully you'll start to see improvements as the months go by.

Lou x

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
I suppose so. Her length shot looks highly damaged which is why I think its more likely damage. I didn't feel stubbly bits with my hair when it was growing back so I personally think its possible to have hair grow back without any obvious stubble.. I also had thinning at the scalp, I believe the frequent dying was breaking my hair off very close to the scalp. In her picture her highlights are barely grown out...Perhaps its a combination of damage and another health issue?

The stubble for me was because I had a lot that had broken off (or melted off or something horrible!!) at the scalp line. At first I couldn't figure out why it felt weird :rolleyes:.

I've also had hair break off from damage, and there was no stubble in that case, as the breakage occurred much lower down, rather than right at the roots.

Anyways, I'm sort of assuming that the OP's hairline is a bit like mine right now, and is just not growing hair as densely as it used to. .

And back to the OP... if your diet has changed your body could be reacting to that change. Definitely see what the tests reveal, and then consider changing your diet. I think some supplements are okay, but many are probably unnecessary (try whole food supplements rather than straight vitamin/minerals). Even having a low carb diet you should still be able to have plenty of colourful vegetables, which are really important to good health.

Heatherzilla
July 2nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Castor oil is amazing. I've been using some on my scalp and my hair has been growing way faster than usual. Even the little bit I have in my oil mix for OCM is making my eyebrows grow in faster after I pluck them. You might want to try a bit around your hairline. I leave mine overnight a wash it out in the morning. It's a little sticky and gross, but it works well.

Aside from that, baby your hair and definitely get your doctor to check you out. My brother did a diet like that and ended up feeling a bit blah towards the end of it. He didn't notice any hair loss, but he has so much hair I doubt it would be noticable if he did. He lost a heap of weight though so it did work well, but probably not the best thing to do long term.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
I've read through the thread, and you've been given any and all advice that I would give you.

Just wanted to say that I had a similar issue with my hair at your exact age (but worse), and within a couple of months, my hair was coming back fully. Lots of new hairs grew in and they just blended in with the rest of my hair.

Do make sure that you follow through with all of the tests with your doctor, just to be on the safe side.

I wish you well. :blossom:

RileyJane
July 2nd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Hey, i feel your pain :/ i bleached my hair too, even thou my natural is a dark brown. that was back in 2009, early 2010 thou. What will help is: CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION! make sure you condition your hair, and treat it as if its going to fall out, with the utmost care (it wont fall out thou) and try to slowly wean it back to your natural. My hair had a lot of shedding when she bleached it :( but after a little while of caring for your scalp ( your scalp is prob burned, even if it shows no physical signs ) as well as you can, they will grow back. my lost hairs are now a few inches long, but its only a few strands of hair, as I didnt really lose that much. just try to keep up with scalp massages, AVOID heat and color at all costs, and snoop around here for some at home remedies and such if you get bored with your conditioner :p and patience my friend, your hair WILL be back to normal soon enough, just relax and enjoy :)

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I'd see a doctor.

meteor
July 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM

From this post and from your photos, I think your problem is severe breakage and not shedding. So Monistat and Nizoral are not going to address the issue (your scalp is healthy). But conditioning your hair A LOT with lots of oil, aloe vera, glycerine and such would be very helpful. Your hair cuticle is probably really roughed up, porous and damaged after all the old abuse. Just make sure you are super-gentle with your over-processed hair and keep it contained. Detangle only with something giving you tremendous slip (mineral oil, etc), because otherwise you will be losing more hair. Oh, and choose your detangling tools carefully... maybe only your fingers and a wide-tooth comb. I wouldn't be using a brush at this stage. Using very gentle shampoos (no SLS) might also help.

White Lavender
July 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thank-you to all for your words of wisdom and encouragement!
I will be following your advice and will try to give updates on my progress including pictures.

Does anyone know where I can get castor oil in western Canada? Does Walmart or Superstore carry it? or is it a health food store item?
As for mustard oil, I bet I can find that at an East Indian shop?

White Lavender
August 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hello again, thought I'd give an update:

Good News: my hair loves Cassia and is getting thicker and healthier looking.

Bad News: I did a root touch-up (Herbatint) and a few highlights (Revlon Frost and Glow) and had a big shed afterwards. My hairline looked thinner afterwards.

No News is Good News: had thorough blood work and urinalysis done and haven't heard anything. In Canada (at least in my province) you don't get a copy of your lab results. You also don't hear from your doctor unless there was something abnormal about your results. So my medical tests were all normal.

Also, have noticed some baby, halo hairs but not sure if they are broken hairs from the hair dye or if they are new growth?