PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever get tempations?

Rufflebutt
July 1st, 2012, 07:32 PM
I love growing out my hair.. but every now and then I get the temptation to do damaging things to it. Like give myself big bouncy ringlets like Zooey Deschanel: http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com//2010/09/zooey-deschanel-hairstyle.jpg

Or give myself monster volume with teasing. Or some other kind of styling to make it look all poofy and pretty.
But as pretty as it is, I cringe when I think about all the damage adding up. I used to do styles like this every day and while my hair held up pretty well, I want to get a nice thick hemline and make my hair longer and healthier.

But then I look at my sad little bun in the mirror and I feel really discouraged about keeping up this whole "natural" thing. How do you guys do it?

Do you ever get urges like these? How in the WORLD do you suppress them? Will they stop with time?

I NEED MOTIVATION TO KEEP GOING

owlathena
July 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM
I used to heat style my hair all the time. At first when I swore off it I'd be tempted all the time. Now it doesn't happen nearly as often. Because I've gotten rid of those bad habits, but also because my hair is much longer and in much better condition, so I don't need to torture it into looking good. The most important thing though for me is to have fun with it (I do this with hennaing, different updos, bangs, etc). Whats the point of growing it out if it feels like a chore?

Vanille_
July 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM
I love choppy layer filled cuts like Alice in the first Twilight movie. I actually cut my hair a few years to match it. I loved it. That's my biggest temptation.

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM
Every single day I look in the mirror and I see my silver hairs cropping up more and more, another comb and another batch of silver, I have about 2.5 inches of natural hair and every day I think of that box of black dye in my bathroom cabinet, it would be soooo easy to give up this natural stuff and go right back to the dye but I really really really want my natural silver to be long and healthy. I know that if I do another dye job I am killing the last five months of work and self control in thirty minutes. I have to keep my goal in mind, I have to realize that if I want long pretty hair I have to give up the things that will damage my hair. I already know that my mom's hair has not grown in three years and she's just past BSL so I know that I have a chance of that being my terminal length. I also know that my mom is addicted to her blowfryer and heat curls and that her hair is a lot finer than mine. I know if I treat my hair well I can have something to be proud of at any length. *rant over* I want the hair in my siggy back at the very least.

battles
July 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Have you tried sockbun curls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y)? There are quite a few different heat free curling methods you can always try.

ETA: My temptation is cute pixie cuts. There is no in between, I need either long hair or nearly no hair.

Rufflebutt
July 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM
I used to heat style my hair all the time. At first when I swore off it I'd be tempted all the time. Now it doesn't happen nearly as often. Because I've gotten rid of those bad habits, but also because my hair is much longer and in much better condition, so I don't need to torture it into looking good. The most important thing though for me is to have fun with it (I do this with hennaing, different updos, bangs, etc). Whats the point of growing it out if it feels like a chore?
I guess I just like the act of preening and making myself feel pretty. My hair does have a nice bit of volume on it's own and it's quite shiny. But I don't want to damage my hair anymore. Yet if I see some really nicely styled hair, I start to think,"Oh once in a while won't hurt..." and then I have to slap myself silly until I stop thinking those thoughts.
I feel like a drug addict, taking things one day at a time.. XD Okay, maybe not AS bad as a drug addict...

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
I just accept that curls aren't for me and discovered henna. Generally I just cultivate helpful laziness :p

carrieavaught
July 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
I get the temptation to flat iron. Really bad sometimes. My hair isn't straight, or curly, but its a little bit more than wavy. Its humid where I am, so my hair frizzes. Normally I don't mind cause I don't go out much. But when I do go out, it would be nice if it were either or. However, I've figured out that my hubby can zipper braid. I can have him do that, and sleep in it all night, and wake up with pretty curls the next morning.

Alvrodul
July 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Sometimes, a bit - but it's so long now since i have used any heat on my hair (years) that I really don't think about it any more.
There are times, when I look at a hairstyling video on Youtube that I get a bit tempted to try a style that needs backcombing and hairspray, I have found that the cure for this is to go look at some vids with more hair-friendly styles! ;)
As for making growing out your hair fun - I'd suggest looking into pretty hairtoys for your updos!:D

Long_hair_bear
July 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Purple hair is my ultimate temptation. Unfortunately, I have to bleach it heavily to get the desired effect. I just look at long hairs' pics and the urge to bleach goes away. :)

Rufflebutt
July 1st, 2012, 08:23 PM
Every single day I look in the mirror and I see my silver hairs cropping up more and more, another comb and another batch of silver, I have about 2.5 inches of natural hair and every day I think of that box of black dye in my bathroom cabinet, it would be soooo easy to give up this natural stuff and go right back to the dye but I really really really want my natural silver to be long and healthy. I know that if I do another dye job I am killing the last five months of work and self control in thirty minutes. I have to keep my goal in mind, I have to realize that if I want long pretty hair I have to give up the things that will damage my hair. I already know that my mom's hair has not grown in three years and she's just past BSL so I know that I have a chance of that being my terminal length. I also know that my mom is addicted to her blowfryer and heat curls and that her hair is a lot finer than mine. I know if I treat my hair well I can have something to be proud of at any length. *rant over* I want the hair in my siggy back at the very least.

I had this same temptation at first when I stopped dying my hair. I used to buy dye in bulk so that I always had a box of dye handy when my roots started to show. But then I decided to take my unused boxes of dye to the store and I returned them. It's so much easier now that I don't have the thought looming over me of,"Well.. I could do it right now if I want.."

jellycatty
July 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
My hair is like her's and I hate it. Always tempted to straighten my hair. Tempted to get a straight perm too ):

Carolyn
July 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yes I do. I give in to a lot of the temptations. I have my hair colored to my natural blonde as I don't like my silver. I tease the crown now and then. I wear ponytails. I wear it down. I even *gasp* blow dry and flat iron sometimes. I got really tired of never having fun with my hair. So now I do. No guilt and no big deal if I do a little damage.

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM
I had this same temptation at first when I stopped dying my hair. I used to buy dye in bulk so that I always had a box of dye handy when my roots started to show. But then I decided to take my unused boxes of dye to the store and I returned them. It's so much easier now that I don't have the thought looming over me of,"Well.. I could do it right now if I want.."

I don't know that I could return it, I bought it in January then my husband brought a box of "nicer" dye home as a "treat" for me so I used it instead then decided that while I love the black I really want to stop dealing with it. I'll probably find a friend who is still a dye addict and save them a few bucks.

RileyJane
July 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
i mainly just try my best and ignore my urges to :P cuz all i think of is my ends just breaking off inch by inch....thats enough for me. i also look up ways to do non heat styles, but in all honesty my natural hair has some really good wave in it so i dont really plan on doing anything crazy to it :P just try to resist!!!

poppy81
July 1st, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've been so good not using heat styling/blowdryer since joining LHC but I think sometimes I will straighten my hair for special occasions as I want to enjoy my hair too. I also do colour my hair.

Rufflebutt
July 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
I don't know that I could return it, I bought it in January then my husband brought a box of "nicer" dye home as a "treat" for me so I used it instead then decided that while I love the black I really want to stop dealing with it. I'll probably find a friend who is still a dye addict and save them a few bucks. I decided that when I quit, I simply just didn't have any use for any more dye so I got rid of it. It's easier to stick to my plan of quitting cold turkey because I can normally talk myself out of it before I can get to the store. And it's not there whispering to me in a way that chocolate cake whispers to someone on a diet.
Plus, I got all of my money back so it was extra change in my pocket.

blondebazinga
July 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I know how your feeling! It's tough but you must persivere in order to get the beautiful results. I love checking out tumblr for heat/damage free updoo's and braids to mix things up a little! Good luck and happy growing :blossom:

honeybunnie8
July 1st, 2012, 10:03 PM
I do a sock bun overnight for awesome curls.
I learned a long time ago that heat styling doesnt work for my hair. It stays in for all of 10 min and I have no skills anyway so it never looks that great.
Sometimes I wish my hair color was different but its a fleeting thought.

Madora
July 1st, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sorry, never tempted. I spent many years cultivating the health of my hair. Not gonna mess it up just for the sake of change.

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM
I decided that when I quit, I simply just didn't have any use for any more dye so I got rid of it. It's easier to stick to my plan of quitting cold turkey because I can normally talk myself out of it before I can get to the store. And it's not there whispering to me in a way that chocolate cake whispers to someone on a diet.
Plus, I got all of my money back so it was extra change in my pocket.

I'll have to give it to a friend since I don't have the recipe and it's been months since I bought it. I will however get it out of the house soon!

Wiggy Stardust
July 1st, 2012, 10:21 PM
I just treat my hair like garbage whenever the urge hits me. So far I've bleached it white, teased, straightened...

Its getting out of my system, weirdly enough. I regret nothing; hair grows and people die. If you get weird hair cravings, the thing that culls the urge for me is wigs. Wigs always look good! You can get long (even human) hair in the style you like with like no effort. And then you have your every day hair that you baby.

Just don't be like me and develop another hobby to sink money into. :(

prettykitty
July 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty lazy....never really bothered doing much to my hair, so I don't get tempted to do damaging things. That'd involve effort. Meh.

kidari
July 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
You can achieve curls like that heat-free. Instead of backcombing you can just gather bits of hair and pin it in place to give it volume at the top. I do get the temptation from time to time to use hairspray and other "damaging" styling aids as well as heat styling and teasing. The longer I go without and the more ways I figure out how to achieve the same look minus the damaging methods, the easier it gets.

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah I get tempted from time to time, it's been pretty cold here in the UK so I've twice blow dried my hair but on a medium setting and I straightened last week for my siggi photo, I'm good the rest of the time and see blow drying as a rare treat, hairs to be enjoyed as long as 90% Of the time your kind to it, it's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy it and be naughty once in a while, it's hair it grows regardless, so you may have to trim a little it's not the end of the world!

ariesfairies
July 1st, 2012, 11:59 PM
Bleaching up my hair to get it white blonde.
My dream hair!... Maybe I will do it, maybe I wont. It's definitely something I'd do after I leave home lol

Tota
July 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM
Right now I'm too lazy to get tempted. It's also too hot here to do anything else with hair than to put it in a top knot and forget about it. In this heat I hate the feeling of styling products in my hair so I don't even scrunch. Maybe I'll get temted when summer's over

SongofLove
July 2nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
Haha, I agree with many others here---I'm simply too lazy, so even if I get tempted, I'll never bother to actually do any bad hair stuff.

I do very much admire some teased hairstyles, like bouffants. But I know that generally involves backcombing, and I don't know how to do those hairstyles anyway, so...meh :D

lis_sing
July 2nd, 2012, 01:49 AM
I occasionally curl my hair with a clipless curling iron so that I can have pretty waves for a few days. I don't use heat protectant but I do deep condition before every shower wash and my hair returns back to its straight 1a self as it air dries :)

Zesty
July 2nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
My temptation actually has to do with laziness... Every once in a while I think, "Wouldn't SL or APL be so much easier?" and imagine how cute I would look with a long bob. But then I think, "I'd totally have to wash it more," and out goes that idea. :laugh:

4C4rly4
July 2nd, 2012, 02:03 AM
The past 2 days I've been really tempted to straighten my hair, but I'm trying hard to fight it! I keep reminding myself that it will be worth it in the end.

Bagginslover
July 2nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
I am constantly tempted, especially when I have a posh dinner or party to go to.

This Saturday is the big ball for this years leavers at the school where I work. Its very formal, and I'd love to do my hair in cascading curls in some sort of a half up do. Sadly, my hair is 1B, and only holds a curl if loaded with product and heated within an inch of its life, but I am STILL tempted!

I keep thinking 'just this once won't hurt...' but then I know I'll think that next time too, and then the next time....

I have always said I want to still enjoy my hair, and do 'nasty' things to it occasionally so that I can enjoy it. But since I had to do a small trim, and spend 4 hours SnDing my whole head, I'm leery...

Maybe I'll try for bun waves instead.....

Ticky
July 2nd, 2012, 04:46 AM
I think that we all get them sometimes. At times, I am very tempted to dye my hair red. This very specific red that I have in my mind. Then I remember that it would fade, cost, have to be dyed monthly... Aaand the urge goes away :p I am too lazy.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2012, 05:28 AM
I am constantly tempted to get cute haircuts that I see around the Internet. The only thing that stops me is knowing that I don't look like the people in the photos. Not even remotely.

As far as hot rollers or curling irons, well, I just remember those split ends that I used to have when my hair was even shorter than shoulder length, and that stops me. Some people have sturdy hair that can withstand a lot of mistreatment. I am not one of those people.

Even though I colour my hair, I don't have any splits, and believe me, that's a treat.

Ambystoma
July 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Urgh - it's winter here so I get the frizzies and I get so tempted to marinade it in coney heat protectant serum, flat iron then curl to have perfect big silky curls. Also it's reddish but not that amazing vibrant pre-raphelite red so sometimes I want to dye it too. I'm sticking with sock bun curls and herb rinses though.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I get tempted to flat iron my hair. In fact, I posted a thread about this just yesterday.

Kittyxx
July 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
blowdrying -_-
I still give in occasionally for events and important meetings and such - it just looks so much neater and more polished

still - I give in far less than I'm tempted

IndigoOptimist
July 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I love choppy layer filled cuts like Alice in the first Twilight movie. I actually cut my hair a few years to match it. I loved it. That's my biggest temptation.
This is definitely a HUGE temptation for me also! I loved having really short hair, but I'm always trying to grow it, and have been since I first cut it at 12.
I also want to keep dying my hair, however combat thing by using different toner/tints which are wash-in wash-out kind of things :)

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I get urges to tease my hair sometimes and straighten it...my hair is curly/wavy so I really want to see its true length! Just keep on growing and staying away from damage as much as you can :o I know it's hard but it will be sooo worth it when you get to your goal in a healthy state! Hang in there ;)

Jing
July 5th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I don't get such urges, thankfully. I look terrible with flat ironed hair. Hair dressers have done it to me twice in my life, and if anyone ever tries it again there will be loud objections. I only had my hair teased once for halloween to make a royal mess of it, so I don't associate that with prettiness, either. But I do still blow dry my hair a bit every time I wash it.

jacqueline101
July 5th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I have temptation to dye mine too at times and to the heated tools.

longhairedleah
July 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM
sock bun curls give crazy volume! try that out :)

UltraBella
July 5th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I guess I am not going to be much help, because I do these things when the temptation strikes me. I curled my hair with a curling iron yesterday and it looked really lovely. I have highlights and a razor cut too. For me, I don't see any damage adding up. My hair seems pretty immune. I have been doing all these things for a LONG time so I am confident my hair will be okay.

For you, just keep reminding yourself of what your end goal is, hair wise. Remind yourself that you are working towards a hair milestone and these temporary temptations will just slow down the progress.

LaFlor
July 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM
When I first started it took me a while to completely give up my curling iron... I really love the look it gives me. Sometimes I still get the urge to use it, but I know it isn't worth it and I am much lazier now than I used to be. I also know I can get similar results by using curlers overnight or bunning without all the heat and trouble.

I still get highlights though, I don't notice much change in my hair because of it so I don't plan on giving that up.

Nae
July 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Me not so much, mostly because I can't be bothered to mess with it. I also really, really dislike the look of straightened hair, the ends look so bad to me. Naturally straight hair is one thing and looks.....well, natural and nice. Straightened hair? *shudder*

What I end up doing if I want to mess with it (which is not often) is I go to Torrin's youtube channel and find a style I can adjust for my length. http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

MrsGuther
July 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I love growing out my hair.. but every now and then I get the temptation to do damaging things to it. Like give myself big bouncy ringlets like Zooey Deschanel: http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/celebsalon.sheknows.com//2010/09/zooey-deschanel-hairstyle.jpg

Or give myself monster volume with teasing. Or some other kind of styling to make it look all poofy and pretty.
But as pretty as it is, I cringe when I think about all the damage adding up. I used to do styles like this every day and while my hair held up pretty well, I want to get a nice thick hemline and make my hair longer and healthier.

But then I look at my sad little bun in the mirror and I feel really discouraged about keeping up this whole "natural" thing. How do you guys do it?

Do you ever get urges like these? How in the WORLD do you suppress them? Will they stop with time?

I NEED MOTIVATION TO KEEP GOING

Oh yes, there are temptations to do destructive things. I always remind myself of how sad and pitiful my ends will look if I give in and flat iron my hair.
On another note, have you tried pin curls perhaps? They can give you nice big bouncy waves/curls without heat tools. :)

Amber_Maiden
July 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I get the urge to go and get an actual chemical dye to colour my hair a bright Ariel red. I also get the urge to straighten my hair and have it look amazing. :(