PDA

View Full Version : How do you S & D?

MestizoGypsy
July 1st, 2012, 07:16 PM
My ends are looking pretty bad so I thought I might give it a try, but I don't want to do it wrong. I don't want my ends to look all wispy either. Is there a specific strategy for doing the whole search and destroy thing?

Thanks in advance, y'all are always so helpful :o

AdaClare
July 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
What I usually do when I S&D is take very small sections of hair and snip off any splits I find. :)

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
By holding my hair up in front of a white computer screen and fanning it out.

owlathena
July 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
By holding my hair up in front of a white computer screen and fanning it out.

Yup. I do it while I watch my shows on the computer. Or in sunlight.

MestizoGypsy
July 1st, 2012, 08:16 PM
And then you just clip the split end off? I just don't want to end up with thin ends!

petali
July 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Make sure to use hair cutting scissors or shears. If you use blunt scissors, you can get even more split ends. You can cut 1/8 to 1/4 of the hair above the split. There is a small white ball before the split, so you have to cut that off too, or else the split will come back.
Happy S&D!

MestizoGypsy
July 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Make sure to use hair cutting scissors or shears. If you use blunt scissors, you can get even more split ends. You can cut 1/8 to 1/4 of the hair above the split. There is a small white ball before the split, so you have to cut that off too, or else the split will come back.
Happy S&D!
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

petali
July 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Have fun S&D! (I warn you, it may become addictive.)

Madora
July 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM
I S and D every other day..perhaps 10 minutes worth, and concentrate on the last 4 inches.

To save on eyesight, I only S and D in bright sunlight, with a white background, which makes the splits easier to see.

The gently twisting method never did much for me. I just take a few strands of hair and hold them loosely, and go through them bit by bit, looking for splits. I sometimes find 2 or 3..sometimes none.

To me, spending time on S and Ding is worth it because any damage you can remove is worth it and prolongs the strength of the strand.

Wiggy Stardust
July 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM
If you got as much damage as me, you grab a chunk at random, fan it out, and hack.