PDA

View Full Version : So cool hair "tricks"!

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hey, I was on youtube looking at hair tutorials...yeah its an issue most of us have, right lol! And found these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxou4Uv20U
The organic bun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtSKXOLG7Yk
The organic ponytail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=W3KCFRADoX8&annotation_id=annotation_132097&src_vid=NtSKXOLG7Yk
The organic braid

Now, I know her channel isn't so hair friendly, and she wears exstentions some times but, these tutorials are pretty cool. What do you guys think? Do they seem damaging? I know sleek or straight/fine haired people may have trouble with it, but as a curly/wurly with semi-coarse hair, i can do most of these except the bun, but that is because of my thickness (not enough ends left at my length to tie the bun together). So, pictures of attempts, opinions, all welcome!

Ticky
July 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM
My hair wouldn't even allow something like that :lala: but it looks like it would be damaging when done on an every day basis.

Madora
July 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the links, Hollyfire3.

That ponytail thingie made me cringe. Way too much tieing for me!

That bun might work for shorter hair, but sure wouldn't work with my length and thickness.

The braid idea is interesting, if you need to braid and have no other options. Don't know if it would be as effective on stick straight hair as opposed to wavy.

You'd certainly need to be extra cautious when taking it out, however.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Yeah, it does look damaging on a daily basis, and you're right, it wouldn't work on straight hair lol.
Oh and Madora, your very welcome, my pleasure! The ponytail thing would probably be good without so many little ties, that made me cringe too!
The braiding looks intresting and would probably ne alright if you needed a braid quickly, but my hair stays braided for a bit by itself and for those whose hair doesn't this might be an option. I would be cautious taking any of them out, but once in awhile couldn't hurt right? I know the bun would only work on "shorter" hair, and thinner hair would be better for it too.

brave
July 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Her hair must have some combination of grabby but not wirey or something. My hair would pop right out of tying any knots like that. They're pretty styles but I'm not sure how well they would hold.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I might be able to get them to hold on 3rd or 4th day hair, but my hair pops out of some knots I tie also, but it is realtivly grabby so maybe...

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Tying my hair in knots for that ponytail...uh uh, not going to happen. She's being too rough for me on that one, although I think you could do the bun or braid gently and it would be OK. Her hair's not that long, but once you get past about BSL, you just don't want to be yanking on your ends like that!

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
That's a good point,you could do looser knots maybe? I would be worried about my ends too.

lmfbs
July 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Couldn't you do the ponytail one by putting the side peices under the hair, crossing over, pulling them on top of the hair and crossing back to underneith, then tucking the ends under the peices underneigh?

That probably isn't the best explaination and I'm not taking my hair out of my 3 dutch braids to find out, but I'm sure it will work.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 06:25 PM
I know what you mean, no need to unbraid, makes perfect sense. This seems like a more hair friendly way to do the style, thank you.

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Never ever going to work on my sepent strands, but for the grippier haired folk, you can bun a cinnabun and then make a pocket in the hairs leading to it and tuck it in, and it'll hold. Also anyone above a 2c probably wouldn't have to tie off their plaits anyway.

lmfbs
July 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
Never ever going to work on my sepent strands, but for the grippier haired folk, you can bun a cinnabun and then make a pocket in the hairs leading to it and tuck it in, and it'll hold. Also anyone above a 2c probably wouldn't have to tie off their plaits anyway.

I'm a 2a/b and don't need to - braids will work their way out in a few hours, but generally, as long as I have 2nd day hair, they'll stay for as long as I need.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm a 2a/b and don't need to - braids will work their way out in a few hours, but generally, as long as I have 2nd day hair, they'll stay for as long as I need.
This is so true. I have even done a diagonal dutch braid (Katniss braid) and had it stay for hours, its kinda neat!

honeybunnie8
July 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Interesting. My hair has to much slip to hold though.

Merewen
July 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Actually, I used to do that bun all the time, only I called it a knot bun. It's really nicely secure on my hairtype. Sure, I wouldn't go to the gym in it, but it's secure enough to run errands or do chores or whathaveyou. Now that my hair's a bit longer, I use a nautilus bun for the same purpose.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM
That's cool Merewen, I will probably use it when my hair's long enough, right now, its a little ways from being able to tie it, despite being nearly BSL.

Seeshami
July 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
I wish I could do those with my hair but the Naughty Mess and I watched the braid video together and he informed me that I am "more then welcome to try but you will have to cut the knot out later. Haha"

I told you all he's a jerk.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
Aww, he can't be THAT much of a jerk lol!!! I worry my hair would knot up too much also, luckily, its pretty short compared to your hair so it might not knot up as badly.

Seeshami
July 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
He's a special sort of monster.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
I'm sure he's awsome! you make me wanna name my mane too...lol

CurlyCap
July 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Yep. Do all three of these with my hair all the time, even with my current short length.

It took me ages to figure out why my straight-haired friends were astounded by it. I had no concept that hair could be "slippery".

Thing is, with my hair, the curls lock into each other and no pulling is necessary. Just make the necessary knot loosely and it holds. I can't imagine having to do all that tugging on a daily basis and not having my hair start to damage.

For all those cringing at hair knots: When I was little my favorite thing to do was to tie my hair in a box knot, like how you would knot shoe strings. And then make another knot on top of that. And so on and so on until all my hair was the size of a baseball. It took about 5 minutes to get out, but it was easy peasy and held lots of flowers easily when I went out to play. Gasp in horror!

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 12:43 AM
Haha my hair would fall straight out of that bun :) it's too slippery! It's actually worse when I leave it for a few days, as honestly if I don't wash it in 3-4 days, even a ponytail in a hair elastic slips out (go figure).

jennkei
July 2nd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Oh, she's added a bun one. -watches- Eh...not really impressed. My hair's too long for that, and other no-pin styles work better for me. :) (Twirl and tuck under loops, or tuck into hair.)

I've seen her braid and ponytail one. The braid one works for me for a few hours..then it gets loose. Convenient for a problem I always have, though. (Too lazy to keep combing my braid so it tends to start to tangle itself at the bottom.) Ponytail one just didn't work for me, too much knotting.

I love anything that doesn't use pins cos I hate pins. :D

Zindell
July 2nd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Very clever hair tricks! I tried the "organic braid", but either my hair is too short or too slippery, because I never got the "mess" at the bottom to pull through a hole :D

Will try it again when my hair is longer.

Thanks for the links! I'll save them.

Iolanthe13
July 2nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
None of these would have worked when I had virgin hair, though I suppose the cones contributed. Now my porous, damaged, cone-free hair grips just fine...sigh. Anything involving tying knots in hair makes me a little nervous.

maria_asa
July 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Haha my hair would fall straight out of that bun :) it's too slippery! It's actually worse when I leave it for a few days, as honestly if I don't wash it in 3-4 days, even a ponytail in a hair elastic slips out (go figure).

This.

My hair just doesn't do buns without pins/sticks/fork holding it and the knotting in the other videos makes my poor strands run away and hide in fear.

Ostelot
July 2nd, 2012, 06:19 AM
Very witty ideas. With my slippery hair they won't work as themselves, but perhaps with bobby pins I could get nice ponytails or buns. At least I'll give them a try.

Seeshami
July 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
I'm sure he's awsome! you make me wanna name my mane too...lol

DO IT!!!!!!!! :cheese:

Lostsoule77
July 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think the ponytail looked nice, but I wouldn't do all that knotting. I cringe at the knot braid. The braid would probably be a horrendous mess & I wouldn't put my ends through that though. The bun is just a knot bun. I've been doing this forever and I've modified it to still work with my almost classic length hair. It isn't pretty, but it sure works for it's purpose. ;)

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Nice tricks, but those knotting makes me cringe, I admit.
I have slippery silky hair, so such tricks are out of the question...