PDA

View Full Version : growing out friz

saffy2yrs
July 1st, 2012, 04:26 PM
What do you do with the little short hairs that are too short to go into your buns/braids/hairdos? I have quite a few short hairs that just turn into friz and drive me nuts! I actually like the day before wash day because my hair is more greasy and they stay where I put them a little bit more.

Any hints other than hairspray to keep your 'do looking good and not flyaway?

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
I baby those little sticky out hairs as they are new growth and future long hairs. They could be breakage to tell the difference new growth has a pointy end and breakage has a blunt end. If its breakage a small trim is the only way to get rid of them.

They can be annoying and due to the common practice of people straightening their hair we hardly ever see them, what your seeing is your hair in its natural state, a little aloe Vera gel or leave in conditioner helps, you don't need a special conditioner your normal one will do, just a teeny bit. Baby oil in teeny amounts also helps with those hairs, just a few drops after washing has worked wonders on my hair.

Madora
July 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Usually I just let 'em be. Perhaps a very tiny bit of coconut oil might help tame them..or a drop or two of mineral oil.

petali
July 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
First off, I believe my hair is very problematic.
I have the same problem! I always have fly-aways, and when I braid my hair, little pieces stick out, even though I've never layered my hair. I don't think I have them because of breakage, but because they either grow slower than my other hair, or they started growing later. I also noticed a lot of the baby hairs are coarser than my other hair; maybe that's why they spring up. I am considering CO washing because washing with a shampoo causes my frizz. Good luck

spidermom
July 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
Using a styling gel or aloe vera gel can help keep those shorter hairs contained, but I have the same problem otherwise.

Talma
July 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM
I get this in the front of my hair all the time. I keep my hair in a single french or english braid and even though I cover my hair at night with a satin scarf or bonnet, I still get the fuzzies in the morning. I just smooth a little water onto my hair and then take a nickel sized blob of conditioner, rub it into my hands with a few more drops of water and smooth that onto my hair. If it looks white instead of clear I smooth on a little more water. This activates my curls and gets rid of all the frizz. I may or may not gently use my soft BBB to give my hair a sleeker look. I try not to brush it as much as possible though. Hope this helps. :)

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM
A super light oiling keeps my frizzies at bay.

cheetahfast
July 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
The baby hairs drive me nuts sometimes. Oil helps or dampening them and gently styling them.
Mine are very tight curls, so if I shape them right they look curly wild instead of frizzy wild, which I can accept.

Silverbrumby
July 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Leave in conditioner then bunning while wet.

neko_kawaii
July 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Light oiling (I use jojoba). Kimberlily's defrizz spray is great, but I live in an arid place and aloe makes my hair feel like straw unless it is a rare humid day.

owlathena
July 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM
I have them, but I don't really mind em. I usually pull a couple pieces out of my do's anyway to make it look a little softer, so they blend in.

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM
The thing is, you can't "grow out" the frizzy hairs, because you'll ALWAYS get new ones in as soon as your older hairs are replaced! This is not a bad thing, of course, you have to replace lost hairs or eventually you'd be bald ;).

Try using a light oiling as others have suggested, or maybe some AVG to help stick the hairs down.

I also have an issue in that I have lots of hairs around the hairline where the terminal length is just too short, and they'll NEVER grow long enough to go in an updo! This is especially true for the hair just above my ears, it's always short, and even when I slick it all back, if I take my glasses off and put them on again, I'll dislodge these hairs and I'll often end up with these short tufty bits at the sides!! Very annoying ;).

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I tend to find a touch of water will slick them down nicely.

saffy2yrs
July 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hm, Oiling sounds like the most suggested idea, but how do you make sure you do not over oil? The greasies are never fun, and my hair is the most fly-away with the short hairs the day of my shower. I normally end up with my hair in an english braid, and I have started using coconut oil on the ends near the tassle, so should I then do a quick swipe over my scalp with the little bit that is left?

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Granted my hair is short but when I oil I use about a drop, rub it between my hands then run it through, I'm sure as my hair get's longer it'll require more oiling to keep it tame, I guess that's up for experimentation :D

neko_kawaii
July 1st, 2012, 10:19 PM
Hm, Oiling sounds like the most suggested idea, but how do you make sure you do not over oil? The greasies are never fun, and my hair is the most fly-away with the short hairs the day of my shower. I normally end up with my hair in an english braid, and I have started using coconut oil on the ends near the tassle, so should I then do a quick swipe over my scalp with the little bit that is left?

I bought a medicine dropper (local herb store had them) to keep coconut oil in so I could dispense it literally by the drop, nine months out of the year it is liquid and the rest of the time I can scrape a tiny amount of the solid stuff out of a jar.

Personally, coconut that close to my face will make me break out, your skin may be different. I use about three drops of jojoba (the smallest amount I can get from the bottle), rub my palms together and then smooth that over damp hair. I'd probably use less, hence my desire for another medicine dropper. I put 3-6 drops of coconut on the length.

As with all things, experiment to find out what works with your hair.