PDA

View Full Version : Natural hair masks

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 02:27 PM
I like natural hair masks, any one else with me on this? I have recently done one with alot of honey and some of my normal conditioner (mostly natural ingredients in that too) and have over time done masks with mollasses, eggs and various ingredients. But, I am not quite sure about which ones to use when. For example: my hair is dry and brittle, a bit frizzed out right now because of the excess heat and humity and because I used (stupidly) some protein heavy products last week. Would a mask of greek yogurt, honey, and olive oil work (possibly some cocoa powder for a color boost?). Or would something else be great for brittle, dry hair? Also, what is YOUR favorite natural mask for your hair and for what volume, protein, moisture, shine, color and so on) do you use it for?

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I love mixing half an avocado (for my medium length hair), olive oil, honey, and leaving it in for a couple of hours. It really makes my curly/wavy/frizzy/dry hair shiny, bouncy, moisturized and pretty! :o

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I like natural hair masks, any one else with me on this? I have recently done one with alot of honey and some of my normal conditioner (mostly natural ingredients in that too) and have over time done masks with mollasses, eggs and various ingredients. But, I am not quite sure about which ones to use when. For example: my hair is dry and brittle, a bit frizzed out right now because of the excess heat and humity and because I used (stupidly) some protein heavy products last week. Would a mask of greek yogurt, honey, and olive oil work (possibly some cocoa powder for a color boost?). Or would something else be great for brittle, dry hair? Also, what is YOUR favorite natural mask for your hair and for what volume, protein, moisture, shine, color and so on) do you use it for?
My guess is that yogurt will add even more protein so you may want to avoid it for the time being. What about honey and coconut oil mixed with conditioner? i did this last week as a moisturizer/SMT-variant and really liked it. I microwaved the honey to heat it and then added the coconut oil to the warm honey in order to melt it. Once everything cooled down a bit I added the conditioner and left it on for an hour. My hair felt a lot better afterwards. You could also try substituting olive oil for coconut oil in this mixture. I have found that olive oil makes my hair a lot softer than coconut oil...so soft that it actually loses volume and becomes flatter. You may appreciate this effect if your hair is brittle, dry, and poofing out all over the place. It looks like we have similar hair types although yours is thicker.

I also have tried soaking in coconut milk which I like although it does have protein which you may not want at this point.

good luck!!

Henrietta
July 5th, 2012, 05:09 AM
My DBF have found an article in a newspaper and he cut it out for me :crush: A cool list of natural hair masks, that are easy to made at home. Most of them are really easy, you don't need to go out of the house. It's important, because, well, personally I get angry when I'm looking for "quick and easy homemade hair treatments" and I find some crazy stuff on the list, like goat's milk. I don't know how about you, but where I live, goat's milk is not something everyone has in their fridge :D

I haven't tried any of those yet. Please don't make me responsible for any side effects, allergic reactions or things like that. I'm just reposting an article from a popular newspaper.
Anyway, here it is:

To add shine:
1. 2 tbs honey, 3tbs EVOO
2. 2 eggs, 3 tbs EVOO
3. juice from 1 big lemon diluted with water

To add softness:
1. almond oil + vitamin A&E (well, that's something I would have to leave the house for)
2. nettle leaves and boiled wine vinegar

To resist split ends:
1. egg yolk, a few drops of castor oil and lemon juice
2. 1 tbs of honey, 1 tbs of vinegar, 2 tbs of wheat oil (also something I'd have to get)
3. tea: horsetail and nettle

afu
July 5th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I would avoid anything containing protein for sure, no eggs or milk products

Personally i love to use a mixture of conditioner, sweet almond oil and aloe vera gel :) kind of an SMT variant (ive worked out my hair hates honey and comes out feeling like a wire brush). If you want softness sweet almond oil is amazing (and you can get is pretty cheap, i recently bought 500mls for £5, aromatherapy quality), sweet orange essential oil added in small amounts also gives a lovely shine