PDA

View Full Version : How bad could it be?

ravenreed
July 1st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Have you ever asked yourself that question, and then found out the hard way? I am laughing at myself quite a bit right at the moment, so I thought I would share exactly how bad it could be.

My hair has been very dry lately. I blame the 100+ heat, and lack of any humidity. I have tried the old standbys, including deep oiling, clarifying, and trimming the ends. I decided to do a banana, molasses, oil, and conditioner mask. I am sure you know where this is going.

As I stood at my kitchen counter stirring together this lumpy, brown, snot-looking concoction together, I had doubts... and then I thought, "How bad could it be?" *cue dramatic echo* "How bad could it be... bad could it be?" The answer is, pretty bad.

I have CO'd my hair twice, and still can't get the banana blobs out. I have been brushing with my TT for about 20 minutes, and each stroke I have to rinse the brush in the sink because the tines are coated in banana. I wouldn't care so much, except I have TWO different social engagements today, and was hoping to look my best, not like a failed science experiment gone amok! Ah well, silly me. I know better than to try something new right before I have to run out of the house.

Have a chuckle at my expense, and heed my cautionary tale! :p

Calaelen
July 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
LOL! I did this with an egg wash once. It was really bad too. I recommend putting a good conditioner in your hair and going at it with a fine toothed comb, if you have the time.

ravenreed
July 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM
I just went through it with my fine toothed comb. I think I got almost all of it. The good news is that my hair feels pretty good after the mask. The real test is how it will look and feel in a couple of days. I notice some things seem to work well the day of, but a couple days afterwards, I get terrible split ends. AVG does that to me, as does anything with glycerin. I am hoping that the molasses wasn't a bad choice. Oh well, I am due for a trim anyway!

goldloli
July 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Oh boy, bananas are the worst. After the first time i'd wondered if id done more damage brushing the stuff out than it had helped. I blend with water then pass through a fine sieve, then mix with conditioner now. Tbh i think the pulp is better as a face mask, still leaves bits in my tub though...

EndlessSunshine
July 1st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Thank you for this cautionary tale. I will stick to eating the banana to help my hair from the inside out. LOL

Yozhik
July 1st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Eeek! I've definitely done this before, too!

I can never seem to get it through my head that experimenting with new hair treatments isn't the best idea right before I'm planning some big social engagement. :o

Bunnysaur
July 1st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hahahaha. That reminds me of last semester, when my roommate apparently got it into her head that "Bunnysaur uses coconut oil on her hair, I should coat mine in a regular ol' household product!" and slathered her hair in Vaseline. It was sticky for days!

ravenreed
July 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Oh my! Glad to hear I am not alone in my experimentation!

GoblinTart
July 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
That's too funny. Next time- get baby food bananas. No chunks.

Jing
July 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
And this is why I will never put solid food in my hair again.

Hollyfire3
July 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
I did this while trying a honey+conditioner mask (I microwaved the honey first). Actually, it went pretty great! But now, with the heat, my hair is back to being dry days later, so more conditioner and honey with maybe some greek yogurt, yum! But yes, I say it to myself whenever trying a new hair thing, how bad can it be? Sometimes, VERY bad! lol!:D

Carolyn
July 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM
I did exactly the same thing a few years back. OGM it was so awful. My hair stunk so bad of bananas. It took me a week of daily washes to get all the dried banana bits out. It was so vile. I haven't been able to eat anything with banana in it since them. The smell makes me want to :puke:

Kaelee
July 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
My aunt pulled a similar stunt with egg...washed with hot water and cooked the egg in her hair! :lol:

I tried to highlight my hair with molasses. My mom helped me. Any benefit from the molasses was undone by the clarifying necessary to remove molasses from my hair!!! Mom decided I should start using box dyes and even bought me my first dye and helped me apply it. :D

ratgirldjh
July 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
I did this once with bananas and yogurt. Phew! And since I don't comb until dry lets just say that I couldn't get the comb through my hair because all the little banana fibers dried in my hair...

Once I did comb them out though my hair was nice - but it stank like vomit!!! It took me several washes to get it to stop smelling.

Yogurt does not mix with warm weather for my hair... lol

Oh and once I decided to use fresh giant aloe leaves as a hair wash. Usually I would peel them and then cut them into smaller pieces and squeeze the gel out with an old pillowcase and throw away the fiber.

Well I saw on you tube that you could do it by just tossing the whole peeled chunk into the blender. LOL Same as above but with aloe vera fibers - and they are invisible. Can you say 'soluble' fiber??? :D

dollyfish
July 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM
I once did some horrible conditioner, yogurt, and olive oil deep treatment... I only left it in half an hour but my hair smelled like spoiled milk for DAYS!! :( I don't know how others seem to get away with putting milk products in their hair. I used the strongest combination of different scented things and nothing helped the milk smell...

battles
July 1st, 2012, 02:05 PM
The smell of henna or cassia with Suave strawberry conditioner makes me feel so ill. My head stinks for days. :(

Nae
July 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM
I second the baby food bananas for treatments. WAY easier to remove lol.

prettykitty
July 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM
I've always thought the banana thing was a bit suss! I'm too scared to even use avocado.

strangemeow
July 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
oh geez haha, ive done that, an egg mask that i tried to rinse out with warm water. found bits of cooked egg in my hair for days after. never did it again LOL.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Isn't it amazing how those bits of banana look (and act) exactly like globs of snot? Who knew?

Note to anyone else who might not want globs of snot in their hair--baby food bananas work great and are snot-free. :D

ratgirldjh
July 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
LOL
Great memories...

Once I got the bright idea that if clay is cleansing and fenugreek is conditioning why not mix them together and do a hair mask and get clean and conditioned hair in one go!

Well I mix them together (after the fenugreek powder gelled and the clay was hydrated) and the mixture instantly curdled!

I kept stirring and stirring and I even put it in the blender for a moment and it looked better so I put it on my head.

About 20 minutes later I went to rinse it out expecting clean soft shiny hair and started rinsing and it was absolutely curdled onto my hair!!! I mean water did nothing! It just stuck to my hair!!! I rinsed and rinsed and finally yelled for my dbf to come bring me some conditioner.

He brought Suave TC and I desperately used about 1/4 of the bottle on my head and got all the curds out.

Funny, after I got it all washed out my hair was amazing... but I never knew if it was the curdled mess or the Suave...

Funny how I sometimes think of trying it again :p

prettykitty
July 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM
How bad could it be...I think I ask myself this right before I eat something weird.

jasper
July 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
I am a big fan of that banana molasses oil stuff, AKA: caramel treatment, but I can't get it out with CO. I shampoo it out. Also I use a blender, not a fork, so mine isn't chunky.

chickenetti
July 2nd, 2012, 02:31 AM
Ha, this reminds me of when I tried mayonnaise- the first time I did it, it was great, the second time I must have used too much, because I couldn't get the oil out for several washes. Also, the time I read that you can tint your hair auburn by using a concoction of red onion and vinegar... no dice, but if you want your perfume to be "eau de salad" then it works great! And the little bits of cooked egg in hair, been there, done that.

Natalia
July 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM
this happened to me years ago with an avocado mask took me days of shampooing and scrubbing to get the greaseball look down to a tolerable level. 3 days of finding random green goop and about 2 weeks to get my hair back to its normal and clean texture.

numbernine
July 2nd, 2012, 04:01 AM
I have found if you freeze the bananas then let them thaw out this helps stop the problem with getting lumps left in your hair.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hahahaha. That reminds me of last semester, when my roommate apparently got it into her head that "Bunnysaur uses coconut oil on her hair, I should coat mine in a regular ol' household product!" and slathered her hair in Vaseline. It was sticky for days!

Vaseline is the WORST! I had a "brilliant" idea a few months back to leave a section of my hair out of the henna (to see how silvery it would be, I guess), so I slathered that section in Vaseline. It wasn't even a BIG section but OMG I could NOT GET IT OUT!!! I tried all the remedies, and it still looked greasy a few days later. Needless to say I did NOT try it again.

I have never tried banana, and due to the fact that I have some sort of revulsion to bananas I probably never will :). However, anything that's hard to remove from the hair seems to come out easier with a good mermaid soak, so I'd probably try that to remove it.

Ishje
July 2nd, 2012, 04:46 AM
oh yes, I had that same experience with both banana and avocado XD
banana actually did make my hair feel nice, but it is too much of a fuss to get it out.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Hehe - maybe just try eating them and let them do their work from the inside...less messy!

Ticky
July 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Mayonnaise... Oh mayonnaise :uhh:. Took a while to get rid of it completely.

Lucky_Lucy
July 2nd, 2012, 05:35 AM
Some time ago I tried a variation on SMT(too much honey+too much of a horrible conditioner, actually the worst conditioner I've ever used in my life). Even though I knew that my hair(and me!) hated honey :puke: but of course I just thought "How bad could it be...bad could it be....?":lol:. And yes it was horrible. My hair was so sticky and I couldn't even comb it through...I swear I'll never ever put honey in my hair again!

Heatherzilla
July 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM
I have done that with avocado. Not fun getting green stuff out of my hair. I just eat the avocados instead now.

kaydana
July 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM
I tried banana on my hair about three years ago... I will NEVER put anything like that in my hair again. Took forever to get all the gunky sticky bits out of my hair, it felt disgusting for days no matter how well I washed it.

RileyJane
July 2nd, 2012, 10:42 AM
ive never done this with my hair before, so im deff not putting bananas in it! sounds awful more than helpful

MissAlida
July 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM
I once washed my hair with olive oil soap made in greece.It was recommendd to me by a woman whose hair grew out very densely after she went trough chemo and used the soap. The outcome was tragic. I stood there, with hair like wax, and cried. This was after an exam day, so I was already exhausted. I had to use up half a bottle of really strong shampoo to get it out of my hair. I like to experiment sometimes, but it is never a good idea to do it when you are tired, or must be fit to be seen later on.:)

kitekats
July 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
If you are trying the egg mask, it should be rinsed out with lemon water-just put a juice of one lemon in a washing bowl, add some water and rinse your hair, also vinegar may be used for this purpose, I have tried the lemon, it works for me- most of the egg goes out nicely;)

Lostsoule77
July 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Thank you all for these cautionary tales! I'll be sure to be careful if I ever try any of this. LOL

I do remember mayonnaise in my hair as a teen. I had a massive knot in my hair from picking my perm instead of brushing or combing. My bf's mom used mayonnaise to grease it up and slowly combed it out. I was so greatful, but I had to wash my hair at least 4 times in a row to get it out! I always hated the smell of mayo and I think that made it worse. LOL

ravenreed
July 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I used mayonnaise once as a teen, too. I got the mayo out, but it left my hair very greasy and my hair smelled atrocious for a few days.

Thank you all for these cautionary tales! I'll be sure to be careful if I ever try any of this. LOL

I do remember mayonnaise in my hair as a teen. I had a massive knot in my hair from picking my perm instead of brushing or combing. My bf's mom used mayonnaise to grease it up and slowly combed it out. I was so greatful, but I had to wash my hair at least 4 times in a row to get it out! I always hated the smell of mayo and I think that made it worse. LOL

ravenreed
December 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I went through this old thread again and had a great chuckle! I have since tried banana baby food a few times and it does work much, much better.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
It was my pre lhc days I decided to cut layers through out my hair and I look like I got into a fight with a weed eater.

melusine963
December 4th, 2012, 01:07 PM

shudder: That sounds horrendous. Luckily, the worst I've ever done to myself was using olive oil as a conditioning treatment once, and not realising I'd need shampoo to get it out again. Thankfully I fixed it before I had to be seen in public.

alyaziaaah
December 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Lol how funny! Poor you, but thanks for sharing if I ever use bananas I will get the baby food :tmi:

Rhodugune
December 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Lol how funny! Poor you, but thanks for sharing if I ever use bananas I will get the baby food :tmi:

You sure, how bad could it be?! :P

I remember my first homemade leave in, used avocado, it got very chunky and that very hard to get out... hehe

sumidha
December 4th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Oh nooo I only did the banana thing once, and nearly had a nervous breakdown after half an hour in the shower, afraid I was going to be picking sticky banana bits out of my hair for the rest of my life... After that I decided no more food items in my hair. :)