PDA

View Full Version : Long hair gives the illusion of more shedding?

MissHair
July 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM
I discovered recently that I've been shedding what in my opinion is alot. Especially in the shower and I have to take out big balls of hair from the drain. But come to think of it, doesn't the hair balls naturally get bigger as the hair gets longer? So maybe in fact Im not shedding more than usual, I just shed more lenght?

bumblebums
July 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, as your hair gets longer, the volume of shed hair will increase just because the strands are longer--even if nothing changes about your shed rate.

If you are really worried, you can start counting your shed hairs. For a precise count, you'd have to wear the hair up all day and night and save all the hair you comb out in the morning.

But really, you should only worry if you notice bald patches or your ponytail thickness (circumference) decreases noticeably.

Kizuna
July 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
I thought I was shedding a lot, so one day I counted all hair that fell out when I brushed.. it was 20 hairs, but it looked like a lot!

PolarCathy
July 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
I counted it this morning, because it looked so "many", it was 27. LOL. yes it must be the length (and in OP's and my case, of course the color makes it more visible)

MissHair
July 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Good idea. I think I may do this. I think I shed alot when combing and washing. But yeah I thought so, that the hair balls get bigger when strands get longer.

Jing
July 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it's rather annoying, that. I try to keep an eye on my shedding so I don't end up surprised by increased mass.