PDA

View Full Version : My hair type

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2012, 06:25 AM
Have finally done it - if you go to my user profile and look at my photo you might like to venture a guess as to my hair type. (Washed and left it untouched especially for you guys). My ponytail is 4.5 inches around. Hairdressers tell me that my hair is fine but that I have a lot of it and they grumble at how long it takes them to blowfry it...:D I think possibly a 2b/c, there are a couple of large ringlets hiding in the under layers, you can't see them in the photo. What is your verdict?

SongofLove
July 1st, 2012, 06:37 AM
How come you put ii/iii? I would think 4.5 inches circumference is a solid iii. You have beautiful hair!!

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
I vote 2b, but with a 4.5inch ponytail you are definitely a iii. Sectioning is definitely your friend.

lapushka
July 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM
I vote 2b also. I agree, with a 4.5 inch circumference you are a solid iii!

Lostsoule77
July 1st, 2012, 11:53 AM
I would say 2b also and definitely a iii!

spidermom
July 1st, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yup, agree with the iii thickness.
It looks 2B to me, but ringlets (even if I can't see them) gives you claim to 2C.

torrilin
July 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Nthing the iii thickness. It's a measurement, so it doesn't matter how you feel about it. What matters is that at 4.5 inches on your ponytail, if *I* tell you I can do a figure 8 bun at BSL... your correct response is to giggle. Coz I've got a 3" ponytail, so you need around a foot more length than I do for a lot of buns. And it can easily work out that you need rather a lot more! People who have full on i thickness can often do stuff at shoulder that I need BSL for too.

Having thick hair doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel like your hair is thin. You're used to it, and you see all the flaws in a larger than life way. But the reality is your hair *is* thick and you do have a lot... and you get all the downsides that go with.

Dittoing Spidermom on the 2c, and adding in that you might find treating your hair as curly means the wave pattern gets tighter or even goes to full on curls.

dollyfish
July 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hmm...if that's a 2b, I think I must be a 2b as well. My hair isn't as wavy as I'd like it to be, so I always place myself at the 2a/2b mark. And I have a few tiny ringlets, though they are delicate and often fall out soon after my hair is fully dry...does that mean I'm 2b/2c? That seems way wavier than I am :o

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'd agree with the votes of a solid 2 b, I can't see any spirals but that might just be the photo, going off your profile yup a 2 b .

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Well, it never feels very thick to me...

ladylowtide
July 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm not expert on the wavies. but congrats on the iii hair!

petali
July 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
Does your hair get tangled easily? Because I also have fine hair, and even though I only have a 3.75 ponytail circumference, my hair gets tangled very easily.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
Nthing the iii thickness. It's a measurement, so it doesn't matter how you feel about it. What matters is that at 4.5 inches on your ponytail, if *I* tell you I can do a figure 8 bun at BSL... your correct response is to giggle. Coz I've got a 3" ponytail, so you need around a foot more length than I do for a lot of buns. And it can easily work out that you need rather a lot more! People who have full on i thickness can often do stuff at shoulder that I need BSL for too.

Having thick hair doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel like your hair is thin. You're used to it, and you see all the flaws in a larger than life way. But the reality is your hair *is* thick and you do have a lot... and you get all the downsides that go with.

Dittoing Spidermom on the 2c, and adding in that you might find treating your hair as curly means the wave pattern gets tighter or even goes to full on curls.

I don't know what my exact circumference is, and at hip+ I still can't do a figure 8 bun. I've learned to manage my thickness so it's not so overwhelming, but updos are still a challenge.

ETA: Whoops, forgot to chime in on hair type. I agree with spidermom that it looks 2b, but if you have ringlets underneath that makes you 2c. Also agree on the iii thickness!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
If I wear a ponytail or go out in the wind it does tangle pretty easily, so if I'm going out I usually put it in a peacock twist, a bun or French braid, then I have no problems with it.

Once upon a time I went to a hairdresser for a trim, they washed it - vigorously- then found themselves with one great big tangle like matted wool, they turned to me and declared that they wouldn't be able to untangle it so they need to cut 6 inches off and see if that helps. Well this made me FUMING mad and I told them they weren't to cut anything off and that they Had to detangle it. Two hours and a pulled scalp later I walk out of the salon with uncut, pulled and split hair.
Have never been happy about going to hairdressers since, though if I do I wash and detangle it myself and arrive there with it wet, have the trim and walk out with it in a braid, I'm sure they think I'm strange. Anyway, rant over. Once my hair gets a little longer I will do my own trims.

It's about 14 months since my last one.

Hehe, can you tell, the thought of going to a hairdresser still gets me hot under the collar?

I know there are good hairdressers out there and I don't mean that they are all ignorant of how to treat hair. It's just that I am -cautious- after having that happen to me.