PDA

View Full Version : To brush or not to brush

Angellocks
June 30th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi,
I have a qustion. For good hairgrowth it is necessary to brush the hair. But iI have wavy, curly hair and my hairdresser warned me if i brush it, it will start to frizz. (And its true if I brush it looks frizzy) now i brush it before i wash.
What would be best for me?
Thank you!

Finnenna
July 1st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Try a wide tooth comb very gently in the shower when your hair is conditioner-full. Also wide tooth comb very gently when dry then lightly spray down with some water?

Arden
July 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi,
I have a qustion. For good hairgrowth it is necessary to brush the hair. But iI have wavy, curly hair and my hairdresser warned me if i brush it, it will start to frizz. (And its true if I brush it looks frizzy) now i brush it before i wash.
Thank you!

What brushing does is distrubute the sebum down the length of the hair. Which is good for it. The problem with curlies it seems is that because of the way the hair falls the sebum has a hard time comming down..

I'm not a curly (3 or 4) ..I'm a wavy (2a) .....but what I've found for me is if I brush I brush before my wash... with the goal in mind to disperse the natural oils down my head and to loosen anything at the scalp that needs to be washed out.

When I wash I finger comb in the shower to detangel and when I get done I try not to brush again until wash day comes around again....

If your a type 3 or 4 skip the brush all together and go with a comb. Wide toothed or curl specific...

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 12:21 AM
Brushing isn't necessary for good hair growth, and in fact if you have curly hair you may damage it by brushing. If you need to detangle, use a wide toothed comb, and detangle very carefully and gently.

Yozhik
July 1st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Seconding everyone else's advice -- I also have wavy hair, and when I was younger, I would brush it and it turned into a poofy mass.

It's best if I finger-comb or comb it with a wide-toothed comb. You can also detangle it in the shower, and then let the curls dry naturally without brushing at all after it dries. :)

Phalaenopsis
July 1st, 2012, 02:42 AM
I find brushing damaging actually and I would never use it to detangle. Only for updos when I need a sleek result.

Madora
July 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM
Curlies, because of the structure of their hair, should use a wide tooth comb, not a brush.

I have slightly wavy hair and brush daily, and have for years. I believe brushing is good for my hair's health because it removes dead cells, lint, plus brushing exercises the hair follicles and distributes the hair's natural sebum down the ends. I've never had any problems with "pouf" or "frizzies" because I always follow each swipe of the brush with my other hand to cut the static.

catamonica
July 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM
I use combs. I only brush for one minute. That is just enough.

swearnsue
July 1st, 2012, 10:11 AM
To brush or not to brush is a question I'm dealing with myself. I have straight hair but just a tiny bit of brushing makes my hair oily in 10 seconds. This then leads to washing a day earlier than normal. I'm thinking that if brushing stimulates the follicles, then I can do that by gently massaging my scalp. I haven't brushed in about a week and my hair stays "cleaner" but I miss brushing my hair. I've made up for it though by brushing the dogs and cat but they don't really appreciate it! From what I've read, curlies do better without brushing.

Arden
July 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Curlies, because of the structure of their hair, should use a wide tooth comb, not a brush.

I have slightly wavy hair and brush daily, and have for years. I believe brushing is good for my hair's health because it removes dead cells, lint, plus brushing exercises the hair follicles and distributes the hair's natural sebum down the ends. I've never had any problems with "pouf" or "frizzies" because I always follow each swipe of the brush with my other hand to cut the static.

I've used this trick. It can work pretty well. When I brush without followiing with my hand I get a big poof... following with my hand seems to help distrubute the sebum that the brush pulls down from your scalp... helps it lay better... When I was wearing my hair stright this was my go too method and it would look really sleek and shiney... The only problem is that I had to wash daily when I did this otherwise my head would look like an oil slick by day two....

Lostsoule77
July 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM
If I use a brush I frizz. I've switched to combing while in the shower with a wide tooth comb and finger combing the rest of the time. If I do use a brush it's before I'm washing my hair just to get any lint or anything out. Probably more because I'm used to brushing though. ;)

If you have wavy or curly hair you definitely should stay as far away from a brush as possible. :)

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I have curly/wavy hair and my hair hates a brush! Lol my sisters can get away with brushing their hair but I can not. What I do is I finger comb my hair before I shower to get tough tangles out by pressing my thumb through them...then I brush my hair softly with either a wide tooth comb or plastic brush. I need a boar bristle brush but am on a tight budget right now. If I brush my hair while it is dry and washed already it looks poofy and frizzy so I stay away from a brush as much as I can!

PrincessIdril
July 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I think you should just go with what YOU think feels better for your hair. The standard advice does not work for everyone.

I'm a curly/wavy in that I get gorgeous curls when my hair dries which settle into waves once I comb/brush. I personally feel that brushing is better for my hair as my waves are more defined and neater looking when I brush rather than comb. Also I find that my brush is better for detangling than any comb I've ever used, I find that combs pull my hair a lot and I can hear the hair breaking. This never happens when I brush.

Mahealani
July 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Hi,
Thank you!
For good hair growth its important to have healthy diet, get good night sleep, and foremost being kind to your hair and scalp. Beneficial effects of brushing aka depositing natural hair oils have been already mentioned. If you mean brushing aka in massaging your scalp, well you can do that with your finger tips as well (no nails!) while you shampoo or before or both or just because if feels darn good anytime you have few min to spare.
If you insist on brushing, then would suggest doing in in sections and against your palm of your hand so you would minimize the frizz/puffiness. Start at the ends up, so there are less tangles. So for de-tangling I would suggest using seamless comb as well.
When I make/have curls, I use brush sometimes, but as I have mentioned from bottom up and in sections and extremely slow and gently.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'd be very careful. I'm curly, and I often hear *snap* when I dry-brush my hair. I do it occasionally if I need to brush my hair to put it in a style, but only very gently. But even gently, I hear that sound. By the way, *snap* is the sound your hair makes when it breaks :(