PDA

View Full Version : Hot head! Any remedies for summer?

ladyshep
June 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Does anyone else notice that with longer hair you are more hot than you were with short hair. I am. It feels like I am wearing a wool hat and it makes me feel ill.

Does anyone have any summertime remedies?

Vanilla
June 30th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I try to keep my hair wet from swimming as much as possible in summer. It helps to keep my head cool.

swearnsue
June 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I just discovered the BEST way to keep your scalp cool, but not sure how it would look going out. Last time I shampooed I put my hair into 4 braids, starting up close to my scalp, and then letting them dangle. Ohhhh the fan blowing air over my scalp felt like heaven on that hot day!

longNred
June 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
The "itchies" from the sweat is what really bothers me. Ugh, I end up letting it down, shaking it out, and using my fingers to aerate it as best I can. It doesn't really help all that much though.

saffy2yrs
June 30th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Lots of little braids do feel good, since you get to feel the breeze better, and still have hair to play with :) I just need to find a friend willing to spend an hour braiding my hair in little braids!

Tisiloves
June 30th, 2012, 09:45 PM
For a temporary fix try hanging your head off the edge of something, it lifts the hair off the top of the scalp and lets you get a breeze.

ladyshep
July 1st, 2012, 05:18 PM
O.k. I'll try all of the above. Thanks for the advice y'al

lapushka
July 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Does anyone else notice that with longer hair you are more hot than you were with short hair. I am. It feels like I am wearing a wool hat and it makes me feel ill.

No suggestions. For me it's the other way round. Shorter hair hangs down mostly, and gets in your neck (sticks to it). No way! I'd much rather have it up into an updo.

pepperminttea
July 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Try French/Dutch braids. They'll expose more of your scalp than an English braid, so you should feel a bit cooler. :) Just be careful to avoid getting your scalp sunburnt.

Natalia
July 1st, 2012, 08:18 PM
peppermint mister!

Carolyn
July 1st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Damp buns and pretty much any kind of an updo work for me. My theory is wet, sweaty hair can be put up in a bun and look nice. Short sweaty hair is just that. Short sweaty hair.

blondebazinga
July 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
I am in love with the new 'artsy' braids that are so popular over Tumblr, Pintrest, Instagram, ect. So cute for summer! :)

chickenetti
July 2nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
peppermint mister!
Ooooh, that sounds nice! I use a spray bottle of plain water, that way I can spray my toddler with it if we're outside in the heat. That, and keep your neck cool- a little bandana that's been wet and wrung out is great, and you can swing it around in the air for a few seconds to get it cold! If your neck is cool, your whole body feels cool.

Ticky
July 2nd, 2012, 06:32 AM
I know a girl with very thick hair, and she said that putting it in many little braids really helps, as I see it was already suggested. It does make sense, unfortunately the 'making dozens of braids' part is just so boring.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Damp buns and pretty much any kind of an updo work for me. My theory is wet, sweaty hair can be put up in a bun and look nice. Short sweaty hair is just that. Short sweaty hair.
This. I couldn't agree more.

Madora
July 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
A crown lace braid helps keep my hair up and neat:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/63012crownbraid_edited-1.jpg

Mahealani
July 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Agree. Any updo is a good one.
Oh and when washing your hair, the last rinse with colder water, it feels damn good.
(Just washed my hair and enjoying the dampness with the fan on.)

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
I mist water on mine let air blow on it.

dollyfish
July 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
No suggestions. For me it's the other way round. Shorter hair hangs down mostly, and gets in your neck (sticks to it). No way! I'd much rather have it up into an updo.

Funny, I immediately agreed with OP, because to me "short" hair is how my hair was before I started growing it out... pixie or bob length! Much cooler :p

No advice either. I just like seeing what others' ideas of "short hair" is.

ladyshep
July 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Funny, I immediately agreed with OP, because to me "short" hair is how my hair was before I started growing it out... pixie or bob length! Much cooler :p

No advice either. I just like seeing what others' ideas of "short hair" is.

Let me rephrase..."shortER" :lol:

Oh wow Madora, that's gorgeous!

Great advice everyone!!