PDA

View Full Version : When to dye my hair for the last time

momoftwo708
June 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone I posted on here a couple of times. My question is I have to dye my hair one last time I will be going to the salon this time instead of box dye.
My hair went thru a lot this year it was WSL and I cut it last month
I have many layers which I am upset about, I'm about half inch maybe not even that much away from top of bra strap I have a few split ends always did and I think I always will my hair isn't in great condition, the only reason I'm dying my hair is because it's not one color and I am getting married the end of summer and this will be the last time I dye my hair I actually stop using heat on my hair last week and been doing tons of hair treatments at home. I'm just not sure if I should wait one more month or do it sooner my wedding is in September .

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM
One week or so before the wedding? You don't want too much in the way of roots at your big day and you wouldn't want that much fade factor either.

momoftwo708
June 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Sounds good I forgot to add I'm dying my hair my natural color

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I still notice fade when I dye to over something else, I am all patchy now and just growing it all out. *grumble grumble grumble*

lapushka
June 30th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sounds good I forgot to add I'm dying my hair my natural color

I would pamper my hair for now, if I were you. Dyeing it now is way too close to the other damage you did to it. I'd go with what a previous poster said, one week before the wedding sounds good. That way you can grow out your roots some and the hairdresser is going to be much more able to see what color she should dye it with the least possible transition for you.

Mesmerise
June 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I would agree with doing it closer to your wedding, as even when you're dying your natural colour, it's sometimes really difficult to get the dye exactly right, and you don't always get the full range of colour that your natural hair possesses (by this I mean, most people's hairs aren't all identical colours, some are lighter and some are darker, which is impossible to perfectly replicate in a hair dye, no matter how good it is).

So my advice would be to dye it close to your wedding so your hair is as perfect as possible then. Afterwards slight differences in colour probably won't matter too much. My hair is hennaed, but even so there's a distinct difference in the henna over my natural hair and the henna over my previously dyed hair... it's really only obvious in the light though, but *I* can tell the difference over the length of my hair (it does help let me know how much healthy hair I've got though :D).

torrilin
June 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM
If you've been doing box dye, you should have a very good idea how difficult or easy it is to get your hair to your desired color. If you know the process is kind of tricky... do it yourself.

The salon process won't be entirely identical. Same chemical reactions happen, but box dyes are put together to be pretty idiot proof. Salon dyes expect that the stylist knows more and it is possible to have errors. If you know your stylist does a *lot* of hair dye, awesome. But if you are very particular about your color, or if you're using a somewhat nonstandard process with a box dye, you might prefer the results if you do your own hair the last time you dye.

On my hair if I want the "best" dye look, I should dye about 2 weeks in advance of the special occasion. Waiting longer means I've got too much time for roots to grow, and less time means my hair might not be back to feeling normal so any styling I plan to do might go wonky.

momoftwo708
June 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks I guess I will be dying it few weeks before the wedding
I am so addicted to hair dye I have to stop myself I hate my color right now but its more important for me to pamper my hair for month and half then dye.