PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Trend

biggeorge
August 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
My DD16 will be a junior in high school here just south of Houston, TX. She made the school dance team this year, and during their summer performance I noticed that most of the girls had hair APL or longer. Although they don't "require" it, it is highly recommended that they let their hair grow for the dance team. Several have hair from BSL to waist. They have to serve at least their freshman year on the "B" team, and that gives them time to let it grow.

I just found this interesting since styles seem to be shorter in the conservative area in which I live.

SchnauzerMom
August 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
That is interesting, I wonder why. Dancers do seem to have longer hair, at least in the photos that I have seen they do.

berr
August 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
That is interesting, I wonder why. Dancers do seem to have longer hair, at least in the photos that I have seen they do.

I've wondered this myself. Ballerinas in particular. I'm not sure their hair is longer than average, how would one tell since it is so secured? It seems to have to be at least long enough to get into a bun.

I wondered if it was to:

(a) keep the hair out of the performers way
(b) keep the hair from distracting from the dance
(c) tradition
(d) some other reason I hadn't thought of

papillon
August 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
It makes it easier to style and if the dancers' hair are all one length, it looks uniform and neat. When I was on a dance team awhile back, we weren't required to have long hair either, but all the females did anyway. It's so much easier to create a look. For us, it was usually curled or in a bun.

xrosiex
August 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
I think it's a great idea. Long hair really is alot easier. :)

Magdalene
August 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Buns are required for ballerinas, so we all grow our hair long. Plus it's more fun!

Riot Crrl
August 2nd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Do you know the reason that buns are required? For some reason I think it's to do with the importance of being able to visualize the neck tendons. But I can't remember where I read that. It may have been a V. C. Andrews novel. :silly:

WritingPrincess
August 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Buns are required in class so that the teacher can see that you are holding your neck correctly, and (I suppose) so that your hair isn't whipping around. I don't know about performance, though, as I don't take dance classes.

Tap Dancer
August 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
It makes it easier to style and if the dancers' hair are all one length, it looks uniform and neat. When I was on a dance team awhile back, we weren't required to have long hair either, but all the females did anyway. It's so much easier to create a look. For us, it was usually curled or in a bun.

I was about to post the same thing. Most of us at my old studios had long hair. It doesn't have to be "one length," but long enough to go into ponytails and buns (even if you have to use a ton of hairspray and bobbypins).

Tap Dancer
August 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Do you know the reason that buns are required? For some reason I think it's to do with the importance of being able to visualize the neck tendons. But I can't remember where I read that. It may have been a V. C. Andrews novel. :silly:

You're thinking of "Petals on the Wind" by VC Andrews. ;) It's my favorite book, which I re-read every fall.

Nyghtingale
August 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
You're thinking of "Petals on the Wind" by VC Andrews. ;) It's my favorite book, which I re-read every fall.

Oh, I love those books!