PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your left-overs?

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
As I've been trying several products, I have also been hoarding so many bottles half full.
I know some people just finish the product, but if my hair doesn't like it or it does nothing for me, what should I do with all of these left-overs?
Do you hand them over to your relatives or just toss them out?

swearnsue
June 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I use them up as much as I can or use on the dogs. I have 3 dogs that need a bath about once a month and dogs for some reason need tons of shampoo and conditioner.

Arashi
June 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM
As for shampoo and conditioner that doesn't work for me: I'll give it to relatives, use on the dogs, repurpose as laundry soap, or repurpose as body wash. I don't personally do this, but I've also heard that conditioner can be used to replace shaving cream, if one is inclined to shave. If it's a shampoo or conditioner that I really don't like for some reason or another, I'll just dump it out and recycle the container.

As for oils and the like, any oil that doesn't work well for my hair usually can be put to good use on my skin.

dollyfish
June 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
This reminds me, I have an entire box filled with old hair care products (hair spray, gel, that sort of thing) that I really want to get rid of. I'm never going to use any of it ever again. It didn't work, and now that I know what damage those kinds of products do, I doubt I'll ever want to take up the ol' hairspray.

Perhaps I can thrift it to my friends :laugh:

Otherwise, I have yet to experiment with a LHC product that didn't "work." I don't use coconut oil as often as almond oil, but I still use it on my ends every once in a while, and in deep conditioning treatments. I prefer my olive oil shampoo to my bars, but I use the bars every once in a while when I feel like something stronger, etc.

EDIT: I realize I do have old ordinary shampoo that I never use anymore, but thankfully my DBF uses it, so it's no big deal.

Amber_Maiden
June 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I freeze and then eat!

longhairedwolf
June 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Depends. I try to give away what I can, and throw out what I can't. Sometimes if it's a good product but I'm just bored with it, I'll blow through it by using generous amounts each time I wash. I'm also getting more careful about what I buy so I don't end up with lots of stuff I don't want.

EndlessSunshine
June 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I re purposed this cleansing conditioner that was full of cones that didn't work for me as a shaving cream. Works great like that! I also use the conditioners as shaving cream or on my nails when I do manicures. The conditioners I didn't like contain too much protein or cones but I figure they may make my nails stronger.

Jing
June 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I once had some horrible shampoo and conditioner that both I and my husband hated, but I don't remember what we did. I think we used them up. Right now I'm using a bottle of bad shampoo as bodywash.

AnqeIicDemise
June 30th, 2012, 01:02 PM
My unused conditioner goes in the wash.lol usually its given away or saved for emergencies like when we run out of soap and payday is Weeks away

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM
If they worked I liked them mix them with another product create my own blended product.

luxepiggy
June 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM
If I think it's a hairtype issue, I give them away to friends who might like them better. If they're just awful products I toss them.

Kyla
June 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM
You can always donate it to shelters and what not, instead of throwing it out. :)

Ticky
June 30th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Usually, I give it to someone else. Might work for them.

Kristen121
June 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Shampoos I don't like DH will use if they aren't really girly/flowery scented. Otherwise I will try them on DD's hair or use them to handwash delicates or for washing my make-up brushes.

Conditioners I will use on DD's hair if they aren't too heavy. If they won't work for DD, I donate them to the nursing home I work at. The facility only provide a cheap "conditioning shampoo" for residents and I know a lot of the ladies appreciate having some conditioner to use afterwards when they get their hair washed.

longhairedwolf
June 30th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Will shelters and such accept half used bottles of product, or must they be new? I'd think they'd be leery of accepting half used stuff.

prettykitty
June 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
It depends how bad it was...and how expensive. Sometimes I'll try to mix it with something else to make it work, or use up conditioners in SMT. I sometimes switch from cones to no cones, so I just store the coney stuff when I get sick of it and pull it out if I need it. I like to switch around methods because I get bored pretty easily, so it all gets used eventually. If its truly awful for my hair, it gets gifted to someone with short hair or I get hubby to use it up.

Tisiloves
June 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I tend to repurpose them as shaving cream/ laundry soap/ for the dog/ etc. My hairspray and gel I save as stain remover/ for crafting projects.

Roscata
June 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm a huge product hoarder and I clean out every now and then. At that time I either give them to family and friends, put them up on the LHC swap board, or both. I just don't like wasting or throwing away things, so I try to give them to someone who will use them and minimize the garbage I throw out.

Sewas
June 30th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have some cheap shampoo that is the best cleaner for all of our hair brushes and all of my makeup brushes. The sulfate free shampoos made my coarse hair dry and tangled so I used it to wash my beagle and it worked wonders. She is so glossy and her fur is so soft now. The beagle gets more compliments on her fur than I ever do for my hair! LOL!

GoblinTart
June 30th, 2012, 09:49 PM
If a shampoo doesn't work for me, honestly, I return it to the store. I can tell in 2 washes if it'll work. I keep all my receipts. If i lost my receipt, I give it to my mom to either use on herself, or use on the dog.
Conditioner- if it was expensive, I return it. If it was cheap, I use it as an in shower moiturizer. Get clean, smother conditioner all over my self, then rinse off. My skin loves it.

Kyla
June 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Will shelters and such accept half used bottles of product, or must they be new? I'd think they'd be leery of accepting half used stuff.

I honestly don't know, since I don't try new products very often and hence use all of mine. :p Just an idea I was throwing out, I'm not actually away of the policies on that. Does anyone else know?

Also, I always found in a pinch diluted shampoo could make an okay body soap, and I use it occasionally for shaving cream.

battles
June 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I use conditioner for shaving lotion, and I haven't figured out a use for shampoo yet. I'll probably try the body wash idea, because I have SO MANY bottles of shampoo that are full of protein. I couldn't figure out why they weren't working for me, and then I realized what protein sensitivity was. :rolleyes:

Natalia
June 30th, 2012, 11:36 PM
my sister is going through an expeimenting stage so ive been emptying my stash to her.

julliams
July 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM
Shampoo can be used as a body wash - I find this works really well. Some conditioners can be whipped up with other ingredients and used as a treatment.

As for those gels and hair serums, Just keep them on hand unless you have doubles. It's a case of "one day you will need it". Unfortunately it takes time to find what works for your hair and once you do, you will start using products to the very end and be able to recycle the bottle.

Arden
July 1st, 2012, 12:18 AM
I keep my recipts and return it. The people at Ulta probably hate me by now.. LOL
:D

ladonna
July 1st, 2012, 12:27 AM
I have 3 kids and dh, none of us have the same hairtype so any thing I do not like seems to work great on someone else.

Dovetail
July 1st, 2012, 06:41 AM
I'll probably give them to my sister-in-law she has very thick hair curly hair and can use more product then I can.

silverpiper
July 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
I use the conditioners I don't like to make fabric softener. It works really well.

lapushka
July 1st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Shampoo that's no good is used as handwash soap over here. As far as conditioner goes that's just too light, it gets used up just the same (triple treatments instead of double).

missmelaniem
July 1st, 2012, 11:55 AM
I swap.. usually on makeupalley. I've gotten a lot of things that I need for things I dont.