PDA

View Full Version : Question about hair sticks and airport security

kaydana
June 30th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't flown since I was a child so I'm not sure exactly how airport security is these days.

I have to wear my hair up because leaving it down or braiding it would result in it getting caught in bag straps. Since breaking my plastic stick, the only metal free thing I can secure a bun with is this: http://i.imgur.com/3IvHL.jpg

It's fairly thick (9mm), blunt, and not excessively long (17cm). My fears are probably unfounded, but I'm a little worried they might decide to confiscate it and leave me with nothing to hold my hair up. Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of it happening?

Madora
June 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Someone here has had their hair toy confiscated. Better to braid it than lose your toy. You never can tell with airport security.

Ebrox
June 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I've worked at many airports and I would say that as long as it's not metallic and sharp/pointy you shouldn't have a problem, but as Madora says.. you never know. :(

caadam
June 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I say better play it safe at the airport. Maybe bun your hair with something different? Just for getting through security and the flight.

Lostsoule77
June 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I would think you should do a braided bun. That way if they do confiscate it you'll still be ok. If you value the stick I would use something else though. Perhaps an unsharpened pencil or a chopstick?

longhairedwolf
June 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with the above. Play it safe and avoid the hairsticks.

Kaelee
June 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yea, dont risk it. What about a claw or octopus clip?

truepeacenik
June 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I've had the occasional request to send a ficcare through the X-ray, or hand it over for inspection.
I've not lost a hair toy. But I get through without remembering to put the 311 bag in a bin (it is always in a side pocket) so I have good security karma.

I did stop using hair toys when I realized I was stressing my neck with a bun at all!

trolleypup
June 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Never had a problem using a chopstick...a hollow stainless steel one at that. I just walk on though. I would avoid using one with non-stainless or lots of shiny decoration.

bumblebums
June 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM
The last two times I flew on an international flight, I had hairsticks in my hair. Nobody said anything.

Well, that's not true. A woman standing in line behind me said, "I like those hairsticks." I turned around and saw that she too had hairsticks in her bun. It was a lovely longhair moment.

PolarCathy
June 30th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm sure mine would get confiscated (the ones in my signature) ;)
For this very reason I'm gonna order two more ASAP because knowing myself, one day I will forget about it and try board with these (I fly a lot).

But normal wooden sticks... nah.. what about pens? :) You see, except for Germany (don't remember which airport) I've flown all across Europe with a huge photo tripod (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7474593122_07f89245fc_b.jpg) that has 3 legs plus a heavy ballhead, I can kill 4 people at once with that, three with the legs plus one with the ballhead.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7474593122_07f89245fc_n.jpg

luxepiggy
June 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM
This is when those disposable plastic ballpoints come in very handy (^(oo)^)v

Kherome
June 30th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I fly pretty regularly, and I've never had a problem with hairsticks. Mine are all wooden though.

ladylowtide
June 30th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't do the sticks. But then I never press my luck the two times I have flown since they but in the body scanners, I have been scanned twice :confused:

I would just braid it. Better than wearing it through security, having them see it in the scanner, and getting flagged for a cavity search or something. Just saying. but then again I always get additional screening and I am petite young woman, so I am very weary of the airports.

Tisiloves
June 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Could you try an all plaited updo like interlaced braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zA37CREatY&feature=plcp), Amish braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjPreADHpvY&feature=plcp) or even a crown braid/ hair taping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P7MiC_GvHY&feature=plcp).

MinderMutsig
June 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'd say get something cheap that you don't mind losing and is easy to replace, like bent knitting needles, cut down and sanded chopsticks or just use an everyday item like a pen or something to keep it up.

My sister recently went through security with a bent knitting needle in her handbag. They asked about it but when she said it was a hairpin for french twists it was fine. This was in Europe though. The Netherlands-UK and back.

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
There is an Indian braid that uses yarn that you then bun up, you could leave the yarn tail long enough to wrap your hair up into the bun and skip the stick perhaps? I can't remember the name of the braid bun. I memorized the style then bought new yarn and put it into my hair drawer so that when I hit BSL I can do it though... If anyone can remember the name I think it starts with a P?

Tisiloves
June 30th, 2012, 07:07 PM
There is an Indian braid that uses yarn that you then bun up, you could leave the yarn tail long enough to wrap your hair up into the bun and skip the stick perhaps? I can't remember the name of the braid bun. I memorized the style then bought new yarn and put it into my hair drawer so that when I hit BSL I can do it though... If anyone can remember the name I think it starts with a P?

Paranda/parandi :)

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Paranda/parandi :)
Yay for someone being able to sort out my crazy ramble!

teela1978
June 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I've never had a wood hair stick confiscated... I don't have any metal ones anymore (I liked them, but they've all disappeared with time). I do consistently get my bun patted when going through security though. If you can deal with a simple braid I'd go that route.

Tisiloves
June 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yay for someone being able to sort out my crazy ramble!

No problem. I suffer from aphasia (my brain forgets the word I was going to use at the start of the sentence) so my friends and family have got pretty good at interpreting what I want to say from the frantic waving of my hands.

kaydana
June 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably spend this week playing with different styles (and lots of pretty ribbons :D) to find something comfortable, but if I still need the stick then I'll wear it and hope for the best and shove some elastics in my bag just in case. If I lose it it's not the end of the world, it has no sentimental value and would cost about 20p to make a replacement. My main concern is having my hair comfortably up and out of the way during the flight.

For this very reason I'm gonna order two more ASAP because knowing myself, one day I will forget about it and try board with these (I fly a lot).

But normal wooden sticks... nah.. what about pens? :) You see, except for Germany (don't remember which airport) I've flown all across Europe with a huge photo tripod (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7474593122_07f89245fc_b.jpg) that has 3 legs plus a heavy ballhead, I can kill 4 people at once with that, three with the legs plus one with the ballhead.

The ones in your signature are gorgeous. Where did you get them?

I'd say get something cheap that you don't mind losing and is easy to replace, like bent knitting needles, cut down and sanded chopsticks or just use an everyday item like a pen or something to keep it up.

My sister recently went through security with a bent knitting needle in her handbag. They asked about it but when she said it was a hairpin for french twists it was fine. This was in Europe though. The Netherlands-UK and back.

I'm in Europe (and flying within Europe). I should probably have mentioned that in my original post, sorry.

I actually made a couple of those but no matter how long it is I can't seem to get it to hold by itself. Is there some trick to this that I'm missing?

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I have no idea, my hair is only mid neck length at this point and I found out about the Paranda/parandi after I joined this sight, right after I had frustration chopped my layered APL into a blunt Bob. I figured that I would leave the tail long enough to do a loop around then tuck any tassel left behind rather than sticking it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/235232/thread/1336324524/My+paranda-parandi Here's a few pictures and there are way more on google with better instructions.

Falcore
June 30th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I would not risk it unless you don't care about the possibility of losing your hair stick. I take mine out and just do a side braid.

MandyBeth
June 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Having flown very frequently, both US domestically and international, and taking my hip lengthed haired hubby and daughter along - being up isn't comfortable for a flight.

I Dutch lace braid pigtails that are very close to the side of my head vs central for myself, DH wears a fast English braid that's pretty loose but his hair is locced so his hair doesn't slip and J wears what starts as a ponytail that's split into 9 braids, which then braid to 3, which then then into a single braid. All of this braiding is post TSA except J's 9 starting braids. It's easier to leave hair loose for any searches.

If we've got long airport time, I throw the minion's braids up with a few implant grade titanium sticks that we have the reports for composition on, they don't trip the metal detectors, and meh, they get lost, they are cheap and easy to replace since it's just what hubby has on hand for custom body jewelry. Her hair is way longer braided than loose thanks to her uber curly hair. Down would just catch way too much.

xoerincolleen
June 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I would use a pen or just put it up with a hair tie or braid it if you're worried about it. I feel like you would be fine with that stick flying within Europe though, from my experience their security is a lot more lax than in the US, which has pretty strict security.

Dovetail
July 1st, 2012, 06:40 AM
I haven't been to europe, so I don't really know, but I took turpintine and oil paints as carry on, on a US plane, as well as knitting needles and they didn't mind. They did want to scan them though. I think if it's wooden just put it in your hair and walk on through. Maybe do a braided bun in case they ask you to take it out? If you also are checking bags then you can just put it in one of those.

Zesty
July 1st, 2012, 06:52 AM
I don't even know how to count the number of times I've flown in Europe within the last few months. My usual drill is to wear my hair in a plain braid through security, and store a hair stick or two in my carry on with my pens (they're roughly the same size). Then on the other side, if I want to bun my hair, I pull a hair stick out and put it up. I've gone through security once with a wooden hair stick the same color as my hair in, and no comments, but I usually play it safe and don't wear them. Also, the time I wore it through was in Spain, which in my experience has more lax security checks than any other place in Europe. As other posters have said, though, you can never tell what they'll be suspicious of.

dulce
July 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM
How about a "caterpillar braid" held with some soft fuzzy scrunchies,I find this very comfortable and easy to take apart and redo if need be?

Tikilon
July 1st, 2012, 12:13 PM
I normally wear the cheap plastic ones just in case but I've never had an issue. I've also used a pencil or ink pen.

rowie
March 28th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Oh my effing gawd! Security just made me take out my Ficcare clip cause they wanted to run it through the ex-ray! Like I really want to conceal a weapon in my Ficcare or even my bun! Ughhhh end of rant. Now I know I can at least bring a Ficcare Maximus, but I have to make sure to put it in the tray.

lydiajo
March 28th, 2013, 08:39 AM
My dd flies unaccompanied 5 times a year. That's a minimum of 10 trips thru security. I put my hair up with a pencil. No real loss if some jerk wants it.

truepeacenik
March 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Rowie, see post #8.
I stopped wearing the ficcare through security. No issues with it in my carryon. (A Kelty daypack, so it's clipped in the lacings)

Since that post, I've had. A few flights, and I've yet to have a hair toy confiscated. An unopened bottle of pepper sauce, yes, but not hair toys.

I don't have weapon look-alikes, I don't take favorites, I expect a search but rarely get them.
Oh, for the benefit of other fliers, what airport, Rowie?

Mine are: Denver, Oakland, SFO, LAX, DFW, ft. lauderdale, Montego Bay, Salt Lake City, and Islip (long Island).

Upcoming flights will have me at JFK and O'Hare..

Vrindi
March 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Hahaha! I fly with film gear too, and wonder how some of it gets through.

If the woman on the plane across the aisle from me could bring her knitting needles, I think it would be stupid to confiscate your hair stick. I guess it depends on which line you get in at security, or how many other suspicious items you have with you.

Cirafly24
March 28th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I've had no trouble with wooden sticks, although my bun always shows up as a foreign object on the scanner, so it gets squeezed and probed (usually loosening so much that it falls apart, grr). Once, the elastic at the bottom of my braid showed up as a foreign object and they had to feel around on my stomach, which I thought was pretty funny because I was pregnant at the time and one of the babies kicked the agent's hand. There's your foreign object right there!

I've flown with my entire hair toy collection in my carry-on, which included wooden sticks, plastic sticks, wooden forks, metal forks (not sharp), ficcares, metal hairpins, etc. and there was no issue. I wouldn't worry too much about hair toys being confiscated, but you can never be too careful with your favorite pieces.

The airports I use: Milwaukee (MKE), Green Bay (GRB), and Appleton (ATW) in Wisconsin and JFK, LaGuardia (LGA), and Islip (ISP) in New York.

piffyanne
March 29th, 2013, 08:16 AM
At O'Hare someone decided to squeeze my braid once.

I just looked at him, like "it's Classic-length hair. Does it LOOK fake??" In the end they made me un-braid and re-braid just to check.

In case you were worried, they didn't confiscate any of it.

But that's the only thing I've ever had happen there, and I use O'Hare ALL THE TIME.

humble_knight
March 29th, 2013, 08:35 AM

I just looked at him, like "it's Classic-length hair. Does it LOOK fake??" In the end they made me un-braid and re-braid just to check.

But that's the only thing I've ever had happen there, and I use O'Hare ALL THE TIME.

An airport with a name like that is surely used to hairy folk travelling through :)

gossamer
March 29th, 2013, 06:44 PM

WHAT. O'Hare is ridiculous. I always have my hair in a braid going through security - it's when I have it in a bun that I've had it frisked before (elsewhere - at LAX and GRR).

So, I've never had anything hair related happen there. One time I forgot to take my bag of "dangerous liquids and gels" out of my bag and they never even noticed. Which only reinforces my dim view of the security there.

Seeshami
March 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I have only had them pat my head, I have never had a stick taken.