PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get coconut oil?

Rufflebutt
June 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Can I find coconut oil in the grocery store? What isle would it most likely be in? Would it be where you find vegetable oils and stuff?

Also, how much of a difference does S&Ding with specialized hair shears make for you? And how much time will it be before my hair starts to feel better? Would it be days, months, years?

GoblinTart
June 30th, 2012, 10:42 AM
It's with the cooking oils. In our frys store though, It's with the organics section.

Rufflebutt
June 30th, 2012, 10:44 AM
It's with the cooking oils. In our frys store though, It's with the organics section. Thankyou! I plan on buying some as soon as I can get a ride. XD

Lucky_Lucy
June 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Well I've been searching for coconut oil for ages! It just doesn't seem to exist in my country :(
So when I went on a trip to UK, I tried desperately to find it. But guess what, when I searched for it where all the other oils were, it wasn't there. So I searched the whole store(ASDA) for it and I finally found it in the hair care section(along with amla, shikakai, henna, indigo, hair dyes etc).
I hope you find it in your grocery store! I'm sure you're going to love it! ^ ^

Also about S&D: It's a great way to get rid of split ends, but it might be a little time consuming(especially if you're as meticulous as I am). Using specialized scissors would definitely be better, because if they're not sharp enough, they'll just create other split ends. And the amount of time until you start noticing a difference depends on how damaged your hair was to begin with(i.e. if you hair was really damaged before you started S&Ding, it will take some time to remove most of the splits).

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hair scissors are stupid sharp, yes you want to use them on hair. If you use something that is dulled it gives you an evil white dot at the end on your hair and it just splits again. Or at least that is what the Naughty Mess does.

ladyofrohan
June 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I got my coconut oil (http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Energy-Endurance/15673-EfaGold-Coconut-Oil.aspx) from Amazon.

I use a pair of scherenschnitte scissors to S&D, but I'm lazy so I don't do it often enough to really see that much of a difference, I guess.

Diamond.Eyes
June 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I get mine from a local health-food store. :)

czech it out
June 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I've seen plain coconut oil in the "organic/health food" section of my grocery store and also in health food markets. I prefer to get mine online though, because I like it to be scented and made specifically for hair/body use.

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Whole Foods :)

Bronzepikzi
June 30th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Glad someone else asked! I was wondering that one too :) Wally world didn't have any. Amazon.com, here I come!

Lostsoule77
June 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I got mine in the grocery store in the organic section I think. I tried the oil & hair section and couldn't find a thing.

As for doing S&D, if you're not using hair scissors there is no point. If you are using regular shears you are just going to get a damaged edge that will most likely later split. Some people do use other shears like kitchen or sewing, but they use them strictly for their hair. If that is the case you should be ok.

sharonluvscats
June 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Can I find coconut oil in the grocery store? What isle would it most likely be in? Would it be where you find vegetable oils and stuff?

Also, how much of a difference does S&Ding with specialized hair shears make for you? And how much time will it be before my hair starts to feel better? Would it be days, months, years?

I looked in several supermarkets and I finally found a jar at Shoprite in the cooking oils section.

Astraea
June 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Whole Foods, or any 'organic' market. It can be found in bakery aisles in conventional chains and probably in Caribbean-Latino and Asian markets as well.

FrannyG
June 30th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Definitely get some hair scissors, and use them only for your hair. Hide them somewhere so that no one else has access to them. Seriously.

dwell_in_safety
June 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I bought mine from Walmart. lol. There should be some in with the other cooking oils. :)

momoftwo708
July 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I actually found mine in my grocery hair department it's called root stinulator organic coconut oil it's more like Clear cream is it suppose to be like oil?

Amber_Maiden
July 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Health food store.

Dee38753
July 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I got mine on the grocery isle....

now for a totally newbie question: What is S&D?

spirals
July 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
My Walmart has it in with the cooking oils on the baking aisle. The brand is LouAnna. I have also found it in asian food stores or on the asian aisle of the grocery store, but it wasn't refined, so it smelled funny and was more likely to go rancid. The health food aisle will have organic, which is more expensive. You can also order from soapmaking suppliers online, like fromnaturewithlove, but of course there's a shipping cost.

Sophiatrist
July 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Glad someone else asked! I was wondering that one too :) Wally world didn't have any. Amazon.com, here I come!
The last jar I bought was from Wally World. It's organic even. It was in with the other "specialty" cooking oils.

HintOfMint
July 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I bought mine from Trader Joe's. It's virgin, organic, cold pressed, etc. The good stuff, basically.

PixxieStix
July 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I buy the organic extra virgin cold pressed Nutivia brand from GNC. :)

missmelaniem
July 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM

I get mine at Ralphs and its usually near the shortening.

bubblyredhead
July 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Walgreens carries extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil in the vitamin isle! but i normally get mine from a local whole foods store since i avoid work at all costs unless i am being paid to be there just feels strange to give them back their own money

umbrellabones
July 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I found mine at kroger

AstroGoob
July 7th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Mine's the refined organic brand from Walmart, but so far it's worked great! I do wish it smelled more like coconut, so next buy (in, what, a year or so? This jar is going to last forever!) I'm going for the unrefined organic stuff I see at the hippie food store.

:disco: