PDA

View Full Version : Hair grew 1 inch in 3 days, wth???

RileyJane
June 30th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sooo i tried the monistat challenge after doing an initial spot test a week ago( i have absolutely no side effects) and its been literally 3 days since I put it all over my head, and I already have an inch of growth. And its not weak hair, either. Its shiny, strong, and the healthiest ive ever seen my hair since I was very little and still had completely virgin hair.

Basically, Im completely astounded at the growth and as I only planned on using it for one or two months EVER ( i just wanted to see if it worked) Im giddy that Ill reach my 4 inch goal of new growth by September sooner :D

(never thought Id have Rapunzel hair )

hafattack
June 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Jealous! couldn't get monistat to work for me, whey protein was the trick but congratulations and enjoy your new growth!!

Rufflebutt
June 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
WHAT? Are you sure that you didn't measure your hair inaccurately? If this is true, I might have to try this myself. Holy cow. :O

RileyJane
June 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM
i measured, re-measured, then measured again too i was completely stunned. :P i even took pics of right before and currently to make sure that my tape measure wasnt wrong. deff a good, strong inch. although i doubt itll continue with the same growth, an extra inch or 2 a month would be very nice :) and yeah still in shock over here

HumanBean
June 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Ya know, I have some leftover Monistat from a yeast infection last month, maybe I should try this.

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Okay I have seen this posted all over around here but what's the mix? Is it just straight monistat or is there a special concoction? Is this a daily treatment or weekly or monthly? I figure on trying whey protein first but this will probably be on my list of crazy things the awesome hair ladies do that I try.

pink.sara
July 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
An inch in 3 days? Sorry but I don't think so.

Unless you have roots to measure by, I'd say your measuring is way off.

PolarCathy
July 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM

Why? I grew 6 inches last month. :rolleyes:

dollyfish
July 1st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Do you have before and after pictures? Maybe the monistat just relaxed your hair a bit, or maybe you really were measuring weirdly?

I'm kind of hoping this is for real, even if I know it's physically impossible. :laugh:

ladyfey
July 1st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking that's physically impossible.

Ticky
July 1st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Oh wow! That sounds... Painful :p or itchy.

MrsGuther
July 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM

I agree. I presume you measured incorrectly. I don't think it's possible to grow an inch in three days.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
I think it's quite possible to grow an inch suddenly, because hair doesn't necessarily grow evenly from day to day. I've certainly had instances where my hair was considerably longer in the span of several days (but maybe no apparent growth for a couple of weeks prior). But I doubt it was due to the Monistat, since that's something that has to be absorbed into the bloodstream and usually drugs take a while to have an effect (and Monistat is a drug).

ladylowtide
July 1st, 2012, 05:04 PM
If you hair isn't pin straight it could be variation in your hair's waviness that caused a good amount of growth to look like a lot. Your hair could grow a lot in a short time, but I think maybe your hair was probably straighter when you measured after three days. But it doesn't mean your hair didn't grow!

ClassicalBlonde
July 1st, 2012, 05:22 PM
Oh wow, I wish my hair would grow that fast! :)

Addy
July 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've dabbled with Monistat recently and in the last 2 weeks from applying straight from the tube, my bangs went from nose length to lip length and I have a lot of wild n crazy silvers that sprung up. Monistat has worked for me but has never given me an inch of growth in 3 days.

Dated pics please... or it didn't happen! :p

carolinaberry
July 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
It is perfectly possible to grow an inch in 3 days. My hair has done this more than once. Now, that doesn't mean it grows an inch every 3 days...I will show no growth for a couple of weeks, then BAM! I get up one morning and have an extra inch. I have posted picture proof when I first noticed such a spurt. So, OP, don't expect that you'll grow 10 inches a month! You might just be a spurt grower. There are a few of us on these boards.

I'm really surprised at how everyone is basically calling this poster a liar. There is a post on the forum where the girl talks about her unreal growth and shows "proof" with obvious extensions in her hair, and no one calls her out, just ooohs and aaaahs.

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think the OP is lying, but I AM skeptical that hair can grow that fast (uniformly... I am sure that individual hairs can occasionally have crazy spurts, but even so 1" in 3 days is REALLY fast). It's the fact that ALL the hairs would have had to have this spurt in such a short time.

Honestly, I think it's fantastic if it's true! But if just doesn't seem quite feasible.

Sorry for my skepticism ;) I'd love to see concrete evidence of this though! Honestly, I think it'd be awesome if my hair would grow 1" a month let alone 3 days!

firegypsy
July 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Holy carp! People, do we know the mechanism by which monistat works? I may start a thread...

I'm pretty sure that most people that have had success with something (whey protein, monistat, biotin etc.) have an underlying reason for it working....that's why things don't help *everyone* across the board. I just can't figure out why monistat would do this! I'd love some thoughts or information.

Kaelee
July 1st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Firegypsy there are one or two threads already on the monistat....I'm afraid to try it myself as I don't know what the long term effects are. But a lot of people have great success with it!

firegypsy
July 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
yes, I've poked my nose in but I'm still curious as to the WHY. (that's how I can better evaluate whether or not I want to try it. ;))

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
yes, I've poked my nose in but I'm still curious as to the WHY. (that's how I can better evaluate whether or not I want to try it. ;))

Some say it's because of the antifungal nature of the monistat, and that maybe there is some fungal growth that may prevent hair growth, and when the antifungal is added the fungus dies thus allowing hair to grow faster (or at least that's how I understand it).

Either that, or there's something in the chemical makeup of the miconazole (sp?) which stimulates the hair follicles to produce hair faster?

I am actually going to start using Monistat more frequently on my bangs area (not because I want to grow them faster, but because the hair seems to be thinner there and I'm trying to stimulate some hair growth). I do use it sporadically, but not regularly enough. As it's bangs, it should be easier to measure too. So anyway I put some on last night (which was 1st July here) so I'll measure today and then measure in one month and see if I get any faster growth there!)

firegypsy
July 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
interesting. a lot of people certainly do have fungal issues on their heads. that could be. of course biotin is also antifungal. I wonder if there are people that have done both together.....

Mesmerise
July 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
I've recently re-started a skin, hair and nails supplement with biotin, so maybe that will have some effect too. Castor oil is also supposed to speed hair growth, and is considered anti-fungal, so it's quite possible that it could be fungal growth (which isn't necessarily bad enough to see) that inhibits hair growth.

owlathena
July 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've been thinking of trying monistat again. I tried it last year, but wasn't very regular about it and I don't think it made any difference.

lmfbs
July 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
I wonder if it will help with my seborrheic dermatitis....

Audrey Horne
July 2nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Bold claims! ;) I'm very skeptical. Pardon me if I've missed that but are we talking about new growth or the length? It's different.
If Monistat and the hairgrowth is just about the fungal infection that prevents growing then wouldn't, let's say, tea tree oil or eucalyptus make your hair grow faster?

Allychan
July 2nd, 2012, 03:23 AM
Besides the antifungal theory, here's another theory: The nitrates widen and relax capillaries which improves blood circulation. Increased circulation equates to better nutrient delivery to the hair follicles stimulating growth

furnival
July 2nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Bold claims! ;)
If Monistat and the hairgrowth is just about the fungal infection that prevents growing then wouldn't, let's say, tea tree oil or eucalyptus make your hair grow faster?

I've often thought this. Also, if the supposedly slower-than-average hair growth is caused by a fungal infection, why don't the supposed benefits remain after stopping Monistat application? If there was a fungal infection and you treated it, surely within a week or so it would be gone and your hair should continue growing at the faster rate. A trip to the doctors' might be a good idea if you think you have an incurable fungal infection that is slowing your hair growth.

I think that hair growth is such a random process in so many ways- spurts, uneven growth, stalls etc- and measuring hair is tricky to get exact, that there are just too many variables to be able to say for definite that Monistat actually works.

I've also heard theories that it works by increasing blood flow and therefore oxygen to the scalp, which I am dubious about. It would be more likely that the massaging motion of application would have this effect. If increasing blood flow to the scalp is desirable, applying warm water to your head would have the same effect as it increases blood flow at the surface, hence the pink skin in a warm bath.

I also think that if it were true, companies would have seized upon this side-effect and started marketing products containing MN as hair growth enhancers- imagine how much money could be made from such a substance!

I'm sorry to be so sceptical about something that causes great excitement for so many- I mean, who wouldn't want to believe in a cream that made your hair grow faster?:o

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 03:40 AM
I also think that if it were true, companies would have seized upon this side-effect and started marketing products containing MN as hair growth enhancers- imagine how much money could be made from such a substance!

This!!! :horse:

Audrey Horne
July 2nd, 2012, 03:47 AM
I've often thought this. Also, if the supposedly slower-than-average hair growth is caused by a fungal infection, why don't the supposed benefits remain after stopping Monistat application? If there was a fungal infection and you treated it, surely within a week or so it would be gone and your hair should continue growing at the faster rate. A trip to the doctors' might be a good idea if you think you have an incurable fungal infection that is slowing your hair growth.

I think that hair growth is such a random process in so many ways- spurts, uneven growth, stalls etc- and measuring hair is tricky to get exact, that there are just too many variables to be able to say for definite that Monistat actually works.

I've also heard theories that it works by increasing blood flow and therefore oxygen to the scalp, which I am dubious about. It would be more likely that the massaging motion of application would have this effect. If increasing blood flow to the scalp is desirable, applying warm water to your head would have the same effect as it increases blood flow at the surface, hence the pink skin in a warm bath.

I'm sorry to be so sceptical about something that causes great excitement for so many- I mean, who wouldn't want to believe in a cream that made your hair grow faster?:o

I agree. And the growth IS random. I remember I had a veeery nice spurt last year at about this time (July). Over a week. But then it doesn't mean it will continue to grow this way every month. I will have a stall someday, let it be January. At the end it will be always the same amount, more or less.
I think that scalp stimulation is a way to go but then I'm afraid that you might overstimulate which could potentially result in a hair fall(?)

"I also think that if it were true, companies would have seized upon this side-effect and started marketing products containing MN as hair growth enhancers- imagine how much money could be made from such a substance" - oh yes!

pink.sara
July 2nd, 2012, 04:36 AM
I'm really surprised at how everyone is basically calling this poster a liar. There is a post on the forum where the girl talks about her unreal growth and shows "proof" with obvious extensions in her hair, and no one calls her out, just ooohs and aaaahs.

I must have missed that one... I'd have called her out too.

It gets really old when people join, try one of our LHC experiments MN/MSN/castor oil/Rooiboos/Biotin you name it and proclaims to have grown 3 inches in the blink of an eye. I'm not trying to be snippy to the OP. Just stating my opinion on it. It's easy to see a difference and get carried away.

Don't get me wrong, I've tried them all too and Monistat did make a difference to my growth over the course of a month when applied regularly. But I've been tracking my monthly growth by bleaching for years and can confirm my 7mm to 10mm of growth went to 14mm. Hardly worth bothering.

Also unless you have a defined root line to follow, measuring is a very inaccurate practice.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 04:45 AM
Also unless you have a defined root line to follow, measuring is a very inaccurate practice.

Yup, this is what I think too. It seems more likely that someone has measured inaccurately than that they've actually had 1" growth in 3 days. I don't think it's about lying as much as it is about just not having measured properly the first time (you can't go back in time and re-measure, after all!)

And on that note... I don't recall the one where someone had obvious extensions in!! At least, if I saw it I must not have realised it was fake lol.

However, it's an easy mistake to make. If you SEE evidence of growth you're more likely to believe it (even if it happens to be fake) than if you read something that doesn't seem reliable or possible.

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM
Yup, this is what I think too. It seems more likely that someone has measured inaccurately than that they've actually had 1" growth in 3 days. I don't think it's about lying as much as it is about just not having measured properly the first time (you can't go back in time and re-measure, after all!)

And on that note... I don't recall the one where someone had obvious extensions in!! At least, if I saw it I must not have realised it was fake lol.

However, it's an easy mistake to make. If you SEE evidence of growth you're more likely to believe it (even if it happens to be fake) than if you read something that doesn't seem reliable or possible.

I saw a recent post like that but I'm not sure if it's the one carolinaberry meant. What I saw is just that there was a huuuuge difference in thickness between the two pics. Like a 100% increase. I didn't say anything either because whenever I do say something to claims like this, it turns out to be rude because I loose my mind when I see all these claims. It's the one and only situation (apart from the burqua treads which I don't even open anymore) where I get mad.

pink.sara
July 2nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
...... Wanders off to hunt for extensions in recent threads..... :draw:

Fairy tale
July 2nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Besides the antifungal theory, here's another theory: The nitrates widen and relax capillaries which improves blood circulation. Increased circulation equates to better nutrient delivery to the hair follicles stimulating growth
I definatley think monistats sucess has more to do with blood flow. I have tried it in the past and I could feel like a pounding sensation in my head I am pretty sure it was added blood flow. I am really bad about keeping track of length so I don't know if it really made my hair grow but something was going on with my head.

furnival
July 2nd, 2012, 05:45 AM
I definatley think monistats sucess has more to do with blood flow. I have tried it in the past and I could feel like a pounding sensation in my head I am pretty sure it was added blood flow. I am really bad about keeping track of length so I don't know if it really made my hair grow but something was going on with my head.

If you want to increase blood flow to your scalp, there are easier, cheaper and safer ways that are scientifically proven to do do, rather than coating large areas of skin for months at a time in a medicine that was not designed for the purpose.
It is a fact that heat, applied directly to the skin surface, draws blood to the surface in that area. That is why we are advised never to give a hot water bottle to a hypothermic patient- the heat would draw blood away from the vital organs where it was needed and towards the area where the heat was applied.
Rubbing, massaging or generally stimulating the skin in a particular area will also have the same effect, which can be seen as a slight reddening of the area caused by the increased blood flow. It may be that the massaging action of applying the cream is what causes the increased flow that people claim to experience.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM

Errm think I found the thread, but it doesn't look like extensions to my (admittedly untrained) eye. It just looks like insanely fast growth. Like shoulder to almost waist in 6 months!

If that's not the thread then I'm wrong ;). But honestly... it didn't look artificially extended. Just much longer!

SerinaDaith
July 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
I would think measuring roots while it would measure growth would not be a good indicator of actual length, that's all I'm really after but if the length is getting longer then that would also indicate growth. Granted I'm a stitchin witchin lady so measurements are kind of "my thing" so I think my length measurements would be a good indicator of length and therefor growth. Since none of us can go to this gal's house and see for ourselves I guess we can like it or lump it.

Mayflower
July 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM

I saw that one too (I think she has multiple threads even) but I don't bother saying anything about it. I just don't join the @ss-kissing either.

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
now ya'll are making me want to see that thread. I'm not sure I could spot extensions if they bit me in the patootie.

Amethyste
July 2nd, 2012, 09:13 AM

My hair DID grow 12 inches in 2 hours, my hairstylist is amazing and I got a free rub on the Genie Bottle. I have extensions (it even says that I faked under my profile picture) but I could NEVER pass my exensions as my "real" hair. I do love how it looks and how easy it is to care for my hair in this busy time of year... I am not a liar, and wouldn't start that bad habit with my hair!

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
I have grown an inch a month.

moon2dove
July 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mine just grows, no half inch, one inch or more, just boring 'normal' growth. Don't even know exactly how much a month it grows. I'm just happy its still growing!

Think i'll stick to my routine and scalp massages.

Good luck to the OP.....

Wish you could put up the photo's you mentioned, just for the record . It would help you know :)

pink.sara
July 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Errm think I found the thread, but it doesn't look like extensions to my (admittedly untrained) eye. It just looks like insanely fast growth. Like shoulder to almost waist in 6 months!

If that's not the thread then I'm wrong ;). But honestly... it didn't look artificially extended. Just much longer!

I saw that one too (I think she has multiple threads even) but I don't bother saying anything about it. I just don't join the @ss-kissing either.

Yup, found it. And the other 3. And I can't help the overwhelming sense of nausea/anger I get witnessing such smugness.

Seriously. I don't particularly want to rock the boat but oh god SHUT UP!!!!!!
I get it, you're healthy, know everything there was to ever know about nutrition/supplements, you work out (harder than anyone else alive apparently) your hair grows faster than the speed of light blah blah.... *sigh*

End rant/hijack.

Ephemeral
July 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Why? I grew 6 inches last month. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh!!

firegypsy
July 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Yup, found it. And the other 3. And I can't help the overwhelming sense of nausea/anger I get witnessing such smugness.

I get it, you're healthy, know everything there was to ever know about nutrition/supplements, you work out (harder than anyone else alive apparently) your hair grows faster than the speed of light blah blah.... *sigh*

End rant/hijack.

ah. now I think I know what thread we're talking about.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 12:32 PM

If a company were able to genuinely produce a product to grow hair, there would be controlled studies out the wazoo and a TON of publicity. I think it's entirely possible that Monistat may help some people, but I doubt it's that effective in the long run for a majority of people.

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure my hair grew about 2" very quickly (within weeks) about a month ago, but since I'm sloppy and don't measure and it was more like a guesstimate, I can't really toot my own horn. Anyway, I didn't do anything different, so I can't say it was due to some magical supplement or anything else. Hair grows the way it wants to, IMO, and sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow. As I said, I believe someone could grow an inch in a few days, but I doubt it's due to anything but the hair's own fickleness.

Ephemeral
July 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
ah. now I think I know what thread we're talking about.

I have to keep in mind that there is a certain amount of trust involved when we post. I could say that my hair grew 12 inches and supply pics. I have pics from years ago when my hair was longer. I could post those and y'all would never know. But I am on here for advice and to learn and to celebrate my little goals. And to post false pics or give false information would be counter-intuitive.

My point is, even if pics are supplied, we have no way of knowing when they were taken. They could be months/years apart, even if the date is on there. They could be photoshopped, there could be extensions involved. Just because I wouldn't do that, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. And be self-promoting and smug about it.

bumblebums
July 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
It's a measurement error. Hair length measurements are really error-prone. Have a look at this article.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the laugh!!

You're welcome. I hope no one believed it :D :D

CurlyCurves
July 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
It's a little concerning that people are making indirect comments about another member on here (regarding the shoulder to waist reference and other things). That's not very nice. How do you think she'll feel if she comes onto this thread and sees it? Can't rude comments either be kept to oneself or, at the very least, discussed over the privacy of PM? Just a thought.

mckenzie
July 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM

End rant/hijack.
I don't want to perpetuate this, but thank you, I thought I was the only one.....

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
OMG I looked it up too. It really is fake. Hilarious. Why would anyone do that? Why??

midsummernight
July 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
I think I saw the other thread you guys are talking about. If we are indeed talking about the same thread I think you misunderstood what she wrote. Her total growth was from shoulder to waist but her monthly growth according to her post is something between 1in to 2in. I dont think that is impossible. And about the hair extensions, I only saw it in the before pic (when her real hair was shoulder length, but it is obvious that she did not pretend that the rest was hers) not the after pic. I am sorry if we are talking about completely different threads.

Mesmerise
July 2nd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Honestly, I couldn't care less if someone lies about their hair growth. Why? Because the only person they're actually cheating is themselves. Why lie about something if it's just not true? Sure you'll get compliments galore... BUT you know yourself they're not REAL. How can that make a person feel good about themselves to know that what everyone thinks about them is a lie?

(Note: I'm not talking about the OP here... I am assuming she made a measurement error and isn't actually lying about her hair... I'm talking about those who use pictures to prove their growth, and the pictures don't show the whole truth).

MrsGuther
July 2nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
I think I know what thread y'all are talking about...

RitaPG
July 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
OMG I looked it up too. It really is fake. Hilarious. Why would anyone do that? Why??
I saw that thread earlier today, I don't care why people do things like that, it's most likely an attempt to get more attention. What shocks/ saddens me the most, is how many people fall for it :rolleyes:

Now back to the topic; I need to go check the monistat threads. I'm super curious to see how that works. I know that some people are more prone to fungal issues, which can cause slower hair growth, and treating it maximizes the natural growth potential. But I wonder if there's anything else in the ingredients that helps, besides the anti-fungal properties... Not that I'm considering using it, but I'm super curious about those things :D

evieisocoolike
July 2nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
I know what thread(s) you guys are talking about. I would just be wary of practically gossiping about other users, it doesn't seem within the guidelines, never mind being sort of rude. Also, who cares if they are faking their length? It's most likely to get attention, and it doesn't matter/affect you how much attention they get, anyway. I would just ignore their threads/posts if it really bugs you.

Amethyste
July 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ok perhaps they are hurting themselves by trying to get attention, but in my opinion it is a deceitful way to lure people to buy extra stuff to make their hair grow faster... By respect of others and yourself, I think that being honest is the best policy...

carolinaberry
July 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM

I'm not gossiping...I was just pointing out how people react differently to similar claims on here. The thread I mean shows obvious extensions, with the different stages having new tracks of extensions added in. The extensions are a different color and texture than her real hair, and the different track layers are even obvious. Her real hair is clear to see, and it has actually grown at a fast rate, just not miraculous. I'm not naming names, and there are soooooo many threads on here about recent growth that I think I'm being generic enough to protect their privacy.

The only reason I mentioned anyone else's thread here is not to jab at the girl with fake hair--it is to stick up for the OP of THIS thread, because everyone told her she was wrong. MY hair DOES show 1/2-1" of growth in a matter of a day or two, because it grows in spurts. So, I will have a few weeks with no measurable growth, then BAM! An inch longer. I told the OP to not expect an inch every 3 days, because if she's a spurt-grower two, it will only happen once or twice a month or so.

I'm just saying, there is no reason to be so negative towards one member and so supportive towards another.

carolinaberry
July 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
It's a little concerning that people are making indirect comments about another member on here (regarding the shoulder to waist reference and other things). That's not very nice. How do you think she'll feel if she comes onto this thread and sees it? Can't rude comments either be kept to oneself or, at the very least, discussed over the privacy of PM? Just a thought.

I think I was generic enough in who I spoke of. There are tons of recent hair growth threads, with pictures. If the girl who is trying to pass extensions off as miracle growth comes on here, maybe she will see it isn't so nice to lie to people and continuously be so condescending towards everyone. If one of the many others who have recently posted growth pics on here come on here, they know their hair is real or not. There are plenty of recent threads where members are showing off extensions-only they don't lie about it.

The only reason I mentioned that there is such a thread is that I was horrified at how not nice people were being to the original poster of THIS thread. How would you feel if you had an inch of new growth and you were so excited so came on here for support and everyone said it was impossible? Asking for pictures is fine but for pretty much everyone to say it is impossible without seeing pictures?

carolinaberry
July 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I'm pretty sure my hair grew about 2" very quickly (within weeks) about a month ago, but since I'm sloppy and don't measure and it was more like a guesstimate, I can't really toot my own horn. Anyway, I didn't do anything different, so I can't say it was due to some magical supplement or anything else. Hair grows the way it wants to, IMO, and sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow. As I said, I believe someone could grow an inch in a few days, but I doubt it's due to anything but the hair's own fickleness.

I really can't say if Monistat increases growth over the long run. But from my experience, and what I've seen from a few other people starting something like Monistat or MTG, there IS often an initial spurt. Or, like has been with me for the few months I've been measuring, the OP's hair might always grow in spurts. I have a dye line so it is easy for me to look in the mirror and see growth.

I've also read online that curly hair, and to a lesser extent wavy hair grows more under the scalp (saw this on another forum with pictures of the follicles)-so maybe that's why the new growth that shows is like 1/2-1" in a matter of days vs/ a fraction of a millimeter every day?

I just thought the response to the OP was a bit unsupportive, compared to some other threads.

carolinaberry
July 2nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
Some say it's because of the antifungal nature of the monistat, and that maybe there is some fungal growth that may prevent hair growth, and when the antifungal is added the fungus dies thus allowing hair to grow faster (or at least that's how I understand it).

Either that, or there's something in the chemical makeup of the miconazole (sp?) which stimulates the hair follicles to produce hair faster?

I am actually going to start using Monistat more frequently on my bangs area (not because I want to grow them faster, but because the hair seems to be thinner there and I'm trying to stimulate some hair growth). I do use it sporadically, but not regularly enough. As it's bangs, it should be easier to measure too. So anyway I put some on last night (which was 1st July here) so I'll measure today and then measure in one month and see if I get any faster growth there!)

I'm not sure why it works. But, in my hairline area, I have so many new baby hairs filling in now that I'm using it consistently. I'm interested to see if the baby hairs grow into regular hairs.

leilasahhar
July 2nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Yay! I believe it..Theres another product (Redwood Roots hair mist) and it has a list of ingredients one of them being pine bark extract.. it claims to boost hair growth (which I believe has) It explains how pine bark is nitrogen rich just like the active ingredient in Monistat are nitrates. Its really interesting how this all ties together like fertilizer for soil, which is also nitrogen rich that is best for growing plants etc. Manure is nitrogen rich, coffee is nitrogen rich, HAIR is nitrogen rich :)

carolinaberry
July 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Yay! I believe it..Theres another product (Redwood Roots hair mist) and it has a list of ingredients one of them being pine bark extract.. it claims to boost hair growth (which I believe has) It explains how pine bark is nitrogen rich just like the active ingredient in Monistat are nitrates. Its really interesting how this all ties together like fertilizer for soil, which is also nitrogen rich that is best for growing plants etc. Manure is nitrogen rich, coffee is nitrogen rich, HAIR is nitrogen rich :)

Hmmm....coffee is nitrogen rich? I wonder if a hair masque/scalp treatment of coffee grinds would work...haha...just kidding. I do wonder if it works, but that's one mess I couldn't deal with!

maborosi
July 3rd, 2012, 12:04 AM

I've actually heard about the Redwood Roots product before. I wonder if anyone's done a review of it? Looks kinda insteresting.

~maborosi~

Debra83
July 3rd, 2012, 12:06 AM

I totally miss these things all the time!!! I'd probably walk past a 100.00 dollar bill on the sidewalk. sigh.

Audrey Horne
July 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Hmmm....coffee is nitrogen rich? I wonder if a hair masque/scalp treatment of coffee grinds would work...haha...just kidding. I do wonder if it works, but that's one mess I couldn't deal with!
It doesn't really... It sort of make one's hair shed less for a little while but them bam and you might end up with an increased shed. If you add too much you might experience some funky heart beat. But I'm talking only about myself, IDK about the others.

Silverbrumby
July 3rd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I've actually heard about the Redwood Roots product before. I wonder if anyone's done a review of it? Looks kinda insteresting.

~maborosi~

Used it but briefly. Not long enough to tell but it felt like I was using water.

maborosi
July 3rd, 2012, 12:22 AM
Used it but briefly. Not long enough to tell but it felt like I was using water.

Hmn, pity. How did it smell? I see pine bark extract in there, and I imagine it smells like a forest.

~maborosi~

Silverbrumby
July 3rd, 2012, 01:06 AM
Hmn, pity. How did it smell? I see pine bark extract in there, and I imagine it smells like a forest.

~maborosi~

Not much smell. The label looks like it's cheaply printed. I got it off amazon and I think it's snake oil. I'll use it but with my halo problems from my natural curl I'm not sure when unless I want to be walking around with a constant halo if I use it everyday between washes.

Seriously though, the only thing I've noticed that's made my hair grow a bit faster is Whey protein at the moment.

I've done monistat, biotin, biosil, tea rinses, rosemary rinses, rooibos, green tea etc. I think my hair shafts have thickened on monistat because of it's effect on the hormone receptors near the hair shaft. Biotin helped me grow amazingly strong nails so I'm thinking it must have helped grow better, stronger quality hair. Just hasn't grown all the way out yet. Only 7 inches or so.

But whey helped, I think. Oh, I don't eat enough protein so maybe that's why.

Nae
July 3rd, 2012, 05:14 AM
I am pretty sure I had a growth spurt like this happen to me once. I was measuring weekly back when I was around shoulder and in one week I had an inch of growth. I was spastically measuring and it really did happen but it never happened again lol.

Or at least not that I have noticed since I put the tape measure away after NOT growing for a while.

To the Original Poster, I am so happy for you that you got a bit of a growth spurt, that is wonderful.

TropicalBreeze
July 3rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
To be honest, I had a crazy growth spurt like this - one inch in a week. I was taking diatomaceous earth, MSM, fish oil and biotin and that's why I had the spurt. After that my hair grew at it's regular pace which is over 1/2 inch a month. So this kind of growth can happen but it's just a fluke.

As for that thread with regards to the extensions, I just found it now. All I can say is wow, did that poster really think that it's possible to grow hair that quickly and expect everyone to believe it? Clearly she has extensions.

evieisocoolike
July 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
I agree with all of you, the person obviously has some attention-issues. Someone mentioned on this thread what she said (or their interpretation of it), and I immediately remembered the person's threads. I don't think it would be hard to find a recent, new female member who talks about her exercise and diet quite a lot. Even if it is LIKE OH MY GOSH IT'S SO OBVIOUS THOSE ARE EXTENSIONS, it doesn't affect me/you (the people who are bothered by it), so I would just ignore it, rather than dwell upon it and get mad. I hope I didn't offend anyone! :blossom:

ApatheticFairy
July 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hmmm....coffee is nitrogen rich? I wonder if a hair masque/scalp treatment of coffee grinds would work!

I use coffee grinds in my condish and leave it in for a few hours about twice each winter. It gives me warm lowlights that help my winter pasty skin look prettier. It makes it sooooooo shiny!

Debra83
July 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
I'm going to say here, what I said in another thread, and what I've been saying since I joined 3 years ago....

I also grew from shoulder to waist plus - in a two year period. I was pregnant the first time...had the baby, hacked off my hair....then nursed and it grew just as fast again. I was eating way better, probably hormones helped, vitamins, ponytails....the works....yada, yada, yada....

My mother, last year, cut to chin. She is catching up to me this year. Her hair grows, and has always grown EXTREMELY fast. Frustrates the heck out of me because I didn't inherit that ability. I grow quite a lot quicker than most of my friends though....would've been even faster if I had hidden those scissors!!!!

Bunnysaur
July 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM

End rant/hijack.

I was reading this thread and I was like "who ARE they talking about!??!!?" and then I saw your post, and I was all "oh. Right." :p

I think I was generic enough in who I spoke of. There are tons of recent hair growth threads, with pictures. If the girl who is trying to pass extensions off as miracle growth comes on here, maybe she will see it isn't so nice to lie to people and continuously be so condescending towards everyone. If one of the many others who have recently posted growth pics on here come on here, they know their hair is real or not. There are plenty of recent threads where members are showing off extensions-only they don't lie about it.

The only reason I mentioned that there is such a thread is that I was horrified at how not nice people were being to the original poster of THIS thread. How would you feel if you had an inch of new growth and you were so excited so came on here for support and everyone said it was impossible? Asking for pictures is fine but for pretty much everyone to say it is impossible without seeing pictures?

I at first thought you were talking about me :o I posted the "From APL to Waist in five minutes!" thread a few weeks ago, and I'm reading this thread and thinking "hmmm... I did mention they were extensions in my thread, right!?" :p
I agree, but the whole "lying about growth for attention on a hair care board" thing just confuses me... Why?!

jeanniet
July 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
I grew chin to waist in a little less than two years. I don't know how many inches that is, because I don't measure. No trims, but I did several microtrims/dustings. No supplements, nothing special. It just grows the way it grows. The magical answer to growing your hair is just waiting it out. Anyway, I'm having a good time along the way. I wouldn't want to have long hair overnight. The anticipation is half the fun!

McFearless
July 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
I've had crazy growth with monistat within a few days during the periods I used it. It doesn't keep up but if I take breaks and start up again it happens. Congrats to you OP!

As for the rude, passive aggressive comments about another member, you guys aren't subtle.

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 04:20 PM
OK I am coming a bit late to this thread but for those of you who are wondering about a possible mechanism for miconazole working, it is an androgen (male hormone) blocker. Androgen over-stimulation with the testosterone metabolite 5-DHT is believed to be responsible for male pattern baldness (the prescription drug Propecia works to stop hair loss by blocking 5-DHT). Ketoconazole, which is a cousin of miconazole or Monistat, is used to suppress testosterone production in men with advanced prostate cancer. Miconazole has similar hormonal effects and is available over the counter, so someone probably guessed that miconazole might be able to stop hair loss. However, this therapeutic effect may only apply to people with hormone-related hair loss (which is far more common in men than in women) and does not necessarily mean that miconazole can make hair grow faster. Now, the antifungal effects could possibly also help with hair growth, but as far as I know there haven't been any studies to say that miconazole or any other antifungal makes hair grow faster. If only!

RitaPG
July 4th, 2012, 04:30 PM
OK I am coming a bit late to this thread but for those of you who are wondering about a possible mechanism for miconazole working, it is an androgen (male hormone) blocker. Androgen over-stimulation with the testosterone metabolite 5-DHT is believed to be responsible for male pattern baldness (the prescription drug Propecia works to stop hair loss by blocking 5-DHT). Ketoconazole, which is a cousin of miconazole or Monistat, is used to suppress testosterone production in men with advanced prostate cancer. Miconazole has similar hormonal effects and is available over the counter, so someone probably guessed that miconazole might be able to stop hair loss. However, this therapeutic effect may only apply to people with hormone-related hair loss (which is far more common in men than in women) and does not necessarily mean that miconazole can make hair grow faster. Now, the antifungal effects could possibly also help with hair growth, but as far as I know there haven't been any studies to say that miconazole or any other antifungal makes hair grow faster. If only!

I don't think antifungal ingredients make hair grow faster per se, but fungal issues on the scalp are very common and tend to slow down hairgrowth, so antifungal creams and shampoos, by fixing the problem, maximize one's natural hairgrowth potential.
Now that I think about it, my mom had severe scalp issues until she started using Ketoconazole shampoo last year, and her hair looks much, much better now.
I had no idea about the hormone blocker properties though, thanks for sharing!

Debra83
July 4th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I grew chin to waist in a little less than two years. I don't know how many inches that is, because I don't measure. No trims, but I did several microtrims/dustings. No supplements, nothing special. It just grows the way it grows. The magical answer to growing your hair is just waiting it out. Anyway, I'm having a good time along the way. I wouldn't want to have long hair overnight. The anticipation is half the fun!

Kinda like Christmas, eh?!!!! :p

Mesmerise
July 4th, 2012, 06:34 PM

This is interesting! I hadn't realised it was an androgen blocker, but in that case it makes sense why it may help fill in thinning hair (thinning hair in women can be similar to thinning hair in men, but is usually not as pronounced... but in many cases it does have the same mechanism).

Audrey Horne
July 5th, 2012, 04:40 AM
:cool:

I had no idea that Monistat is a hormone-blocker. I don't think it is sold here under this name. I recall reading about some meds that you apply to your scalp which is an androgen-blocker. But it is prescription-only, so you can't easily buy it here. And tbh, without any knowledge of my androgens status I wouldn't...
Wouldn't it mess up someone's hormones if used over some period of time (if this person's hormone levels are fine)?

Silverbrumby
July 5th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I'm pretty sure it's working for me because of my age. Hormonal shifts.

lilliemer
July 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
:cool:

I had no idea that Monistat is a hormone-blocker. I don't think it is sold here under this name. I recall reading about some meds that you apply to your scalp which is an androgen-blocker. But it is prescription-only, so you can't easily buy it here. And tbh, without any knowledge of my androgens status I wouldn't...
Wouldn't it mess up someone's hormones if used over some period of time (if this person's hormone levels are fine)?
I don't think miconazole is sold as a male-hormone blocker specifically anywhere. Ketoconazole is the only drug in its class that is actually labeled for use as an androgen blocker; the other drugs like miconazole show anti-androgen activity in the lab, but I don't think these effects have ever been demonstrated in humans (in fact I don't think this question has ever even been studied).

There is not much if any data that I could find on the systemic hormonal effects of miconazole. Probably most of the hormonally mediated effects on hair loss/growth, if there are any, occur where the medication is applied at the hair follicle. Although it is theoretically possible that one could absorb enough of the medication through the skin and into the bloodstream to have an effect on circulating or body-wide hormone levels, topical (i.e. applied directly to the skin) miconazole is labeled as safe for use during pregnancy which suggests to me that the systemic hormonal effects are minimal. Of course, this is with a short course of the drug applied to a relatively small area for a yeast infection and not slathering it all over your scalp for long periods of time, which could lead to higher doses of the drug being absorbed. In summary: no one really knows the answer to your question which is a logical one. This is just one of many hormonally active or endocrine-disrupting chemicals we are exposed to every day, but it is an easily avoidable one if you are concerned.

proo
July 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
So if it's an androgen blocker, how about hair where you don't want it, like your face?
Would if reduce facial hair?

Audrey Horne
July 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I don't think miconazole is sold as a male-hormone blocker specifically anywhere. Ketoconazole is the only drug in its class that is actually labeled for use as an androgen blocker; the other drugs like miconazole show anti-androgen activity in the lab, but I don't think these effects have ever been demonstrated in humans (in fact I don't think this question has ever even been studied).

There is not much if any data that I could find on the systemic hormonal effects of miconazole. Probably most of the hormonally mediated effects on hair loss/growth, if there are any, occur where the medication is applied at the hair follicle. Although it is theoretically possible that one could absorb enough of the medication through the skin and into the bloodstream to have an effect on circulating or body-wide hormone levels, topical (i.e. applied directly to the skin) miconazole is labeled as safe for use during pregnancy which suggests to me that the systemic hormonal effects are minimal. Of course, this is with a short course of the drug applied to a relatively small area for a yeast infection and not slathering it all over your scalp for long periods of time, which could lead to higher doses of the drug being absorbed. In summary: no one really knows the answer to your question which is a logical one. This is just one of many hormonally active or endocrine-disrupting chemicals we are exposed to every day, but it is an easily avoidable one if you are concerned.

I think the reason why I thought of it is progesterone gels. Now I know that it is an entirely different story! But it is also a gel and it gets absorbed, etc. I used some anti-rosacea gel awhile back and it wasn't adviced to use it over a period of 3 monthes, so I've always used that one sporadically (1,5 month of using, a month of not using, etc.). I suspect that Monistat wouldn't cause much problems if used for like 2 weeks (IDK how long the yeast infections are usually treated) once in awhile(?) I don't plan to get it because I couldn't get it in my area anyway, I was mostly curious. Thanks for your answer!

Silverbrumby
July 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM
My dad has male pattern baldness and I definitely have his hair type. I really have found the front areas filled in with this cream plus the strands seem thicker which makes sense because the male hormone 'shrinks' the follicle. The hair at the scalp seems to be less fine. Started using it March '12