PDA

View Full Version : Reducing/Preventing Shedding

MaraJSkywalker
June 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I believe my hair may have started another shed (Noo! :(). The last shed I had lasted quite awhile, and I lost a lot of my hair. As I definitely do not want to repeat that, I was wondering if anyone might have some tips for reducing or preventing shedding?

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Monistat when used keeps hair from shedding.

Fairlight63
June 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Coffee or tea rinse helps my hair when it starts to shed.

irisheyes
June 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Have you made any changes in your routine lately? Some members have had problems with shedding when trying CO. I have lost half of my hair recently because I switched to sulphate free and silicone free products for 6 weeks. I saw my hair shedding like mad but I still had alot of fluff when it dried, so I didn't worry about it. I thought I was doing something good for my hair! I never really believed a well known brand name shampoo and conditioner would do this to my hair. I didn't realise what had happened until I used a different shampoo while on vacation last week. I only shed a few hairs then and I saw my hair was flat and horribly thinned out when it dried. I think the product that caused the shed coated my hair so that I never noticed it was losing thickness. So I know how you feel...good luck and I hope you can find a solution to this problem.

MsBubbles
June 30th, 2012, 11:42 AM
This is a multi-faceted subject! There are so many reasons for shedding. Also when you say 'shedding' do you mean the difference in say 10 or 20 hairs per day all the time, or something like 100 - 200 hairs per day for about 3 weeks (telogen phase)?

For me, prevention is key, as is knowing my triggers. Since becoming "LHC-aware" of my hair over the past 4 years, I have noticed it takes 14 - 16 weeks from the dates of my shed-triggers to when I start to shed (100-200 hairs or more per day for about 3 weeks). For me, these are mostly diet and thyroid/illness related, so it's just really important for me to stay on top of all of this stuff.

But some people claim certain oils and topical applications stop their shedding, which I haven't tried. For me, I think my follicles have already given up the ghost long ago by the time my shedding starts, so I don't think at that point any oils or other stuff poured onto my scalp will stop the hairs from falling. I think if it's an internal trigger, you just have to wait it out and then grow it all back in again.

However, things such as diet, illness, malnutrition, fatigue, stress, anxiety, shock...all play a role.

EndlessSunshine
June 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
My hair sheds but I try not to stress about it. It is a natural part of the hair cycle. Eat healthy, exercise, and manage stress and if the shedding gets really bad then see a doctor.