PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo bars and shedding?

Theobroma
June 30th, 2012, 07:25 AM
So I'm one of those people who can't do CO because it increases my wash-day shed to epic proportions. I lost a significant proportion of my thickness in the year and a half that I stuck with it before realising that the amount of hair coming out in every wash seemed like a lot because it actually was a lot.

So I'm wondering: given that CO makes me shed fistfuls, and given that scalp oiling seems to do the same (tried castor oil once, promptly combed out a handful of hair), am I likely to find that shampoo bars will have the same effect?

I'm thinking of trying African Black Soap, because my skin loves it and I know it can be used for hair as well. I'm just rather nervous about just jumping in because I don't feel that I can afford to lose any more hair to a wash experiment...

Myrddin
June 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
So I'm one of those people who can't do CO because it increases my wash-day shed to epic proportions. I lost a significant proportion of my thickness in the year and a half that I stuck with it before realising that the amount of hair coming out in every wash seemed like a lot because it actually was a lot.

So I'm wondering: given that CO makes me shed fistfuls, and given that scalp oiling seems to do the same (tried castor oil once, promptly combed out a handful of hair), am I likely to find that shampoo bars will have the same effect?

I'm thinking of trying African Black Soap, because my skin loves it and I know it can be used for hair as well. I'm just rather nervous about just jumping in because I don't feel that I can afford to lose any more hair to a wash experiment...

Hi Theobroma,

The shedding you experience may have the reason that all the hair that is already loose, rinses of easier with CO and oiling. It might be that you could have lost the hair also through brushing. I hope that was clear...

Regarding Shampoo bars and I guess you are talking about the soapy kind. Some people experience at first more shedding, but many observe a decrease in shedding when using shampoo bars.

caadam
June 30th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Actually, a good amount of people experience increased shedding when CO washing. It's common enough that it's more than coincidence in many cases. Conventional hair products tend to increase shedding.

The only thing that I usually like to remind people of is that if they don't comb/brush every day, and then notice a large shed when they wash, it could very well be all the shed hairs they didn't comb/brush out in between washes. Which is true... but sometimes that's not the case.

I really don't know if a shampoo bar will increase your shedding, Theobroma, because I've only used a shampoo bar once and that was over a year ago. I didn't really like it, only because it didn't seem to wash my hair and scalp very well. But I know it works well for others, so maybe it's kind of a matter of trying it out for yourself? Sorry I couldn't give you any more advice than that. lol :o

Loviatar
June 30th, 2012, 09:00 AM
CO makes me shed a lot, too, Theobroma. However, now as much as sulphate shampoo.

I switched to Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and now I lose maybe 10 hairs per wash.

Wildcat Diva
June 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I have had a similar shed scare with castor oil, and also with CO wash/ SMTs. I just went "wow!' at the hairs leaving. I still SMT weekly, and it hasn't been terrible just slight enough to notice.

I am using shampoo bars for my wash. I use the Chagrin Valley bars and have not noticed any shed experiences like with the castor oilings and SMTs. However, I will warn you that they are mild and will not remove oils like coconut oil very well if you do pre-wash oilings. I use the shampoo bars to activate the coconut oil into my cuticle (per Ktani saying that coconut oil must be washed in or heat activated to penetrate the hair shaft), then I have recently been adding SMT, heat cap, then rinse out after 45 minutes. I have to do the SMT like a conditioner only wash (massage, rinse, add more, leave it, massage rinse) to get all the oil out. I am taking a break from this next month and not doing so much oiling and SMT. I will try clarifying, then shampoo bars, and catnip rinse for a while.

Theobroma
July 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
Hi Theobroma,

The shedding you experience may have the reason that all the hair that is already loose, rinses of easier with CO and oiling. It might be that you could have lost the hair also through brushing. I hope that was clear...

It's perfectly clear! But it doesn't apply. I comb every day and I always detangle before washing, so it really wasn't possible for all the hair coming out during CO washing to be normally shed hair that simply hadn't had any opportunity to jump ship before washing.

Also, I lost significant thickness during the time I was doing CO, and I can rule out any other causes for it. (I had a blood workup done and everything came back completely normal; also, the shedding stopped the moment I switched back to shampoo.)

I really don't know if a shampoo bar will increase your shedding, Theobroma, because I've only used a shampoo bar once and that was over a year ago. I didn't really like it, only because it didn't seem to wash my hair and scalp very well.

Hmm, thanks for this. It's good to be warned that there might be problems getting the scalp really clean! (Length is less of an issue. I don't do heavy prewash oilings, so I could probably get away with even WO on my length. Scalp is another story; it does like to be clean and conditioner wasn't really doing the job well enough either.

CO makes me shed a lot, too, Theobroma. However, now as much as sulphate shampoo.

I switched to Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and now I lose maybe 10 hairs per wash.

Thanks! This is a piece of information I was hoping for -- that people who shed heavily with CO may not have the same problem with shampoo bars. Might be worth a try for me!

I have had a similar shed scare with castor oil, and also with CO wash/ SMTs. I just went "wow!' at the hairs leaving. I still SMT weekly, and it hasn't been terrible just slight enough to notice.

I am using shampoo bars for my wash. I use the Chagrin Valley bars and have not noticed any shed experiences like with the castor oilings and SMTs. However, I will warn you that they are mild and will not remove oils like coconut oil very well if you do pre-wash oilings.

Yay, another person who sheds with CO and doesn't with shampoo bars!

I don't do pre-wash oilings, so that's unlikely to be an issue for me -- but how well do you find that they clean the scalp? With CO I did have some trouble with scalp buildup that the conditioner just didn't seem able to remove. I'm hoping shampoo bars will perform better in that department...

Myrddin
July 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM
I don't do pre-wash oilings, so that's unlikely to be an issue for me -- but how well do you find that they clean the scalp? With CO I did have some trouble with scalp buildup that the conditioner just didn't seem able to remove. I'm hoping shampoo bars will perform better in that department...

In my experience shampoo bars clean better than shampoo. With CO I donīt have so much experiences, because every time I tried my hair wasn't clean enough.

The important thing is to scrub the scalp well though gently. Due to the soap foam it's also easier to massage your scalp. You might have wash and rinse 2 to 3 times at the beginning to get a good sense of it.

Theobroma
July 1st, 2012, 05:43 AM
In my experience shampoo bars clean better than shampoo. With CO I donīt have so much experiences, because every time I tried my hair wasn't clean enough.

The important thing is to scrub the scalp well though gently. Due to the soap foam it's also easier to massage your scalp. You might have wash and rinse 2 to 3 times at the beginning to get a good sense of it.

Great advice. Thank you again! (Honestly, I've grown so used to lathering only once that I don't think it would even have occurred to me to do so twice just because I was using a shampoo bar rather than conventional shampoo! :D )