PDA

View Full Version : Impossible?

berr
August 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
First, thank you to flaxen and heidi for the information on oiling in the tutorials section. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71 Don't put coconut or any other kind of oil in the search box. Holy moly!!

I've been experimenting with oils. I started with a cone coconut thing but I really didn't like much. I know my hair loves cones in the short term but it gets crunchy in the long term. I tried some jojoba but it really didn't give me any real slip. Then I tried coconut. When I bought it, it was hot outside so it it was basically a lumpy-ish runny liquid when I opened it. I doused my length in it and kept it up over night. I've been putting rather a good bit (quarter size) in my palms and running it over/though my length wet before I braid. Then after I braid I put a teensy bit in my palms and melt it and smooth over. Oh my gosh. My hair feels lovely.

Now the impossible part. Two inches of growth? I don't think so. Could it be my hair was so dry that all this moisture has given me some elasticity I didn't have before? It's only been THREE days. But my hair went from tailbone length to about 2 inches below my tailbone.

My quest for knee length hair is renewed. :magic:

Thanks for the info. I'm a daily washer, too. I'm just amazed at the difference. Hopefully, I can slack off on the amount of oil after my hair gets used to it. For now it doesn't look oily at all. Time will tell if this will let me continue. I thought I was at terminal length due to the breakage.

PS: I had a fear of coconut oil, I thought I'd smell like a tanning salon at peak season. There is virtually no scent. That or my nose is really off.

cindy58
August 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
That kind of growth does sound impossible, but you just talked me into putting some coconut oil in my hair and braiding it!

freznow
August 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Measuring tapes can be really off sometimes, for no apparent reason. Sometimes you can take multiple measurements in the same minute and get such variation as that.

I'm sure the oil/elasticity/etc plays a small factor, but the measuring tape is wrong often enough that I'd wager that's the major part of it.

berr
August 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm sure it IS impossible. Elasticity & moisture is the only idea I have for the difference. Hair shinks as it dries doesn't it? All I know is I am very happy at the moment. Whoo hoo and a little jiggy dance.

berr
August 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Measuring tapes can be really off sometimes, for no apparent reason. Sometimes you can take multiple measurements in the same minute and get such variation as that.

I'm sure the oil/elasticity/etc plays a small factor, but the measuring tape is wrong often enough that I'd wager that's the major part of it.

Probably so. I don't use a tape. I've never gotten the same measurement twice with a tape. I comb my hair out and measure it against my body before I get in the shower. I try to stand in the same erect posture when I gage. Slumping and head position forward makes it seem shorter.

ETA: I'm trying to remember my hair type. It's 'almost' stick straight and a tiny bit coarse. I think I'm a 1b.

I'll pay close attention for the next couple of weeks and try to get a tape on it.

Golden21
August 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
That is awesome! And your nose isn't off, by the way. My coconut oil has no scent either.

podo
August 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Some coconut oils smell more than others. Every time I tried to get some it had a heavy odor, but I finally found some that doesn't and I now see why everyone spazzes about it!

Hypnotica
August 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Some coconut oils smell more than others. Every time I tried to get some it had a heavy odor, but I finally found some that doesn't and I now see why everyone spazzes about it!

I think that depends on if the oil is virgin or not (but I can be in the dark here).

I also find that my hair is "shorter" when it's in the dry and crunchy state and for me it have to do with bent ends.