PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil Qs: vitamin E and miconazole (monistat/daktarin)

fridgee
June 30th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I have a couple of questions about castor oil that I'm hoping some of you wonderfully informed people can help me with :)

Firstly, I've seen lots of sites that advocate the use of castor oil (for hair, skin and various other things) mention it contains vitamin E, however I've not been able to find anywhere reliable that actually says so, all these sites just seem to repeat what other beauty sites have said. So my question is does anyone know if it does actual contain vitamin E and can you point me to a reliable resource that says so?

Secondly, reading Wikipedia about castor oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil) under 'medicinal use of castor oil' it says that it is an ingredient in miconazole (i.e. monistat/daktarin), so I was wondering, as some people find increased growth using castor oil, if it could be the castor oil in monistat that is causing increased growth rather than the actual medication? Has anyone tried both and only had success with one or the other?

I'm trying out castor oil at the moment and have thought about trying daktarin but am a bit reluctant to put a medicine I don't need and isn't designed for that use on my scalp, especially with the reports of headaches, shedding etc and the cost. It would be great if it was just the natural ingredient in it doing all the work and you could get the same effect cheaply and safely! TIA :flower:

fridgee
July 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
Just bumping this up incase anyone with any ideas missed it over the weekend. :)

Kaelee
July 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I don't know...I'd like to though! People report remarkable eyelash growth with castor oil. I don't know what's different about eyelashes that it wouldn't work on hair. (I use it to wash my face and haven't seen any remarkable eyebrow growth though lol. huh.)

Definitely interested in what others have to say about this!

goldloli
July 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
Interesting.

I looked and it said monistat was made with mineral oil and bha as part of the inactive ingredients. then i saw a lhc thread about mineral oil clogging scalp pores and another about it stopping hair growth in google results.

goldloli
July 1st, 2012, 03:15 PM
Don't know how to edit, but yeah i doubt it, since i just saw this study linked on wiki

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16886507

Allychan
July 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
I had a look for it's chemical composition and could only find that it contained a number of beneficial fatty acids

akilina
July 2nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Ya know my little experience is that my head hates monistat.
I have been using castor oil since before I used henna last month on the 20th and this time when I hennaed I made sure sure sure to REALLY cover every single root I had. I pulled out one of my hairs yesterday and I looked at the roots (super light blond) And the grown out roots were an inch long. I was really sort of shocked and in disbelief but it really did happen.
I do massages with castor oil every night that I am on the computer (almost every night).
I have been hiatus this weekend though no time for the computer.

jacqueline101
July 2nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
I've never used caster oil but love monistat. Currently using it and I've added products to it. I'm going to see if it makes a difference.

fridgee
July 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I don't know...I'd like to though! People report remarkable eyelash growth with castor oil. I don't know what's different about eyelashes that it wouldn't work on hair. (I use it to wash my face and haven't seen any remarkable eyebrow growth though lol. huh.)

Definitely interested in what others have to say about this!

I was considering starting OCM and wondered about whether smearing it all over my face would turn me into a chimp or not, but no one ever mentioned it being a problem so I assumed I was just being silly! Its nice to know it actually doesn't tho! :p

Interesting.

I looked and it said monistat was made with mineral oil and bha as part of the inactive ingredients. then i saw a lhc thread about mineral oil clogging scalp pores and another about it stopping hair growth in google results.

Mineral oil is actually non-comedogenic so won't block pores.

Don't know how to edit, but yeah i doubt it, since i just saw this study linked on wiki

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16886507

Interesting there is actually a study on antifungals and hair growth! Is that a different medication than commonly used on here or just an alternative name? I've still never worked out how someone managed to discover smearing that stuff on your head might increase hair growth, seems a bit of a leap at first thought!

Ya know my little experience is that my head hates monistat.
I have been using castor oil since before I used henna last month on the 20th and this time when I hennaed I made sure sure sure to REALLY cover every single root I had. I pulled out one of my hairs yesterday and I looked at the roots (super light blond) And the grown out roots were an inch long. I was really sort of shocked and in disbelief but it really did happen.
I do massages with castor oil every night that I am on the computer (almost every night).
I have been hiatus this weekend though no time for the computer.

That interesting that you have had success with castor oil but not monistat, so its probably not the same thing happening with both, unless there is something in monistat that your scalp hates more to outweigh the castor oil effects. :shrug: Glad castor oil is working for you, I hope it does the same for me! :)

akilina
July 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah I was kinda bummed it didn't work but oh well. I am not that desperate for fast hair growth (I really am on the inside) But what is it worth? I try to smear chemicals on my head as little as possible. It made my scalp tender and gave me really nauseous headaches.

fridgee
July 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah I was kinda bummed it didn't work but oh well. I am not that desperate for fast hair growth (I really am on the inside) But what is it worth? I try to smear chemicals on my head as little as possible. It made my scalp tender and gave me really nauseous headaches.

That's why I feel so reluctant to try it! It's not worth going thru all that for a few extra inches :flower: