PDA

View Full Version : Hair Type Help?

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Hello!

So, I finally got around to doing a clarifying wash (and boy did my hair hate me...:pins:....calling me dirty names behind my back...). By that I mean, I used clarifying shampoo with no conditioner. :shake: Yes, it took me almost two years of being on the LHC to finally do this and try to get an accurate hair type. Chronic procrastination, that's me! :thumbsup:

ANYHOW, I am a failure when it comes to hair typing, especially when it comes to myself. I was hoping you hair experts could help me determine my hair type! :D

Here's the picture. Sorry for the lame pictures. They're the best I can do right now because my camera is broken...that makes me a :( :panda:.

:crazyq:......Oh right, picture...(s)....I can never just take one.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/MeishkaMooshka/Hairtype-1.jpg

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads through my nonsense and responds. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Let me know if I can provide anymore information. By the way, once my hair dried it felt less like straw and more like hair (odd, right?), and I was able to comb through it just fine.

The hair in my signature is after washing without cones, but still using a SLS shampoo, air dried (not brushed)...I think.

This picture I thought might be worth sharing. I washed with cones and SLS shampoo, air dried, but combed it out while damp because I was going to braid it....and the result:

http://i.imgur.com/F8ibI.jpg

GlennaGirl
June 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I would say 2a, there are definite waves there.

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I would say 2a, there are definite waves there.

That would make me so very happy! I could probably tear up right now....:pray:

PolarCathy
June 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
My opinion is 2a too

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:09 AM
My opinion is 2a too

:inlove: :crush: :heart: ohpleaseohpleaseohplease, let it be so, magical hair fairies!

PolarCathy
June 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM
:inlove: :crush: :heart: ohpleaseohpleaseohplease, let it be so, magical hair fairies!

I think you can chill, it's def not 1. :)

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I think you can chill, it's def not 1. :)

I don't mind 1....but I've always wanted to be a wavy...and well, my hair always seemed to be a 1. I'm excited. :happydance:

GlennaGirl
June 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM

Ha ha, you may as well thank genetics instead. :p Pretty pretty hair!

PolarCathy
June 30th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I don't mind 1....but I've always wanted to be a wavy...and well, my hair always seemed to be a 1. I'm excited. :happydance:

I don't mind 1 either but I used to be a 2c/3a, with 3b around the nape so it would be really ... interesting for me. On me, I prefer waves. Actually I prefer curls but they're gone.

I was hesitant to say 2a because I think you have so definite waves that maybe with the right routine you could be even wavier. Who knows.

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'm not good with hair typing either, but I would definitely consider you to be a wavy-haired :D

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Ha ha, you may as well thank genetics instead. :p Pretty pretty hair!

Hahaha, true. My mom is a definite curly/wurly/something and my dad has some curls as well. But, you see, when I use cones and sulfates and brush my hair it comes out straight like this:

http://i.imgur.com/F8ibI.jpg

...so I'm very confused most of the time.

I don't mind 1 either but I used to be a 2c/3a, with 3b around the nape so it would be really ... interesting for me. On me, I prefer waves. Actually I prefer curls but they're gone.

I was hesitant to say 2a because I think you have so definite waves that maybe with the right routine you could be even wavier. Who knows.

I prefer curls, too, but sadly....*sigh* I would love to be even wavier. Perhaps my next thread will be searching out how to define my waves!

I'm not good with hair typing either, but I would definitely consider you to be a wavy-haired :D

Yay! Perhaps as PolarCathy suggested, I could be a wavy like you if I found the right routine....well, your waves could never be replicated, but I can hope right ;)

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Yay! Perhaps as PolarCathy suggested, I could be a wavy like you if I found the right routine....well, your waves could never be replicated, but I can hope right ;)

:flower: You are too kind. There are some wave enhancing leave-ins. I just started using Aveda's curl enhancer and it works pretty well for me.

pink.sara
June 30th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Haha you are Sooooo not a 1b!!

That's a 2a I'd say. Also it would be interesting to see how your waves reacted to a curly girl trial.

They are very pretty and I'm glad you're pleased :cheese:

Quixii
June 30th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I also agree with 2a.

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Pretty pretty hair!

Where are my manners?! I forgot to say thank you...Thank you! :) :o

:flower: You are too kind. There are some wave enhancing leave-ins. I just started using Aveda's curl enhancer and it works pretty well for me.

I'm just honest. ;) Hmm...I might have to give that a go. I haven't quite settled in on a routine yet, so this may be a good time to start trying stuff out!

Haha you are Sooooo not a 1b!!

That's a 2a I'd say. Also it would be interesting to see how your waves reacted to a curly girl trial.

They are very pretty and I'm glad you're pleased :cheese:

:o:o:o Well...I mean...my hair always looked straight to me when I took pictures (see above). I don't know what the hell...lmao.

Thank you for the compliment, dear! :D I definitely need to start researching the curly/wurly recommendations on this site because I'd love to see even more waves if I could!

I also agree with 2a.

Thanks for the input! :)

Lucky_Lucy
June 30th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I'd say 2a! Definitely not any of the 1s. :)
Your curls look really pretty and I agree that you could maybe do something to enhance them? :D Cones(well actually lack of them) seem to make a difference and if your hair likes them it's even better. :D(I tried a cone-free conditioner and my hair hated it...but during that time I actually had a lot of curls!Maybe I should just try another one, like another brand or sth. :) )
Good luck! :)

lapushka
June 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Another vote for 2a. :)

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 08:55 PM
=Lucky_Lucy;2187351]I'd say 2a! Definitely not any of the 1s. :)
Your curls look really pretty and I agree that you could maybe do something to enhance them? :D Cones(well actually lack of them) seem to make a difference and if your hair likes them it's even better. :D(I tried a cone-free conditioner and my hair hated it...but during that time I actually had a lot of curls!Maybe I should just try another one, like another brand or sth. :) )
Good luck! :)

Another vote for 2a. :)

Thank you both for your responses! :D

lucky_lucy, I'm not sure entirely how my hair feels about cones. I used them for a very long time and didn't have problems until more recently, but I don't know if that's the fault of the cones really, so I haven't completely written them off! I'm excited to start discovering more ways to enhance them because I'd really love to be a wurly! Thank you for the compliment and feedback! Good luck to you, too!

Bunnysaur
June 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I say 2a too. I love that random green chunk you have at the bottom!

battles
June 30th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Pretty hair! I'd agree with 2a. :)

I have a similar hair type and have also been wanting to try CG.. I wonder if there's a thread specifically for a challenge sort of thing, or if we should start one? :hmm:

meishkamooshka
July 1st, 2012, 12:21 AM

I have a similar hair type and have also been wanting to try CG.. I wonder if there's a thread specifically for a challenge sort of thing, or if we should start one? :hmm:

Thank you so much. I appreciate the response! ^.^

I don't know about a challenge sort of thing, that might be fun. Like, try the CG method and post your results sort of thing. But, I did just discover a thread for the wavy/wurly. Not sure if you are already subscribed, but I just did and they're already super helpful!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563

I say 2a too. I love that random green chunk you have at the bottom!

Hahaha. Thank you! It is the last remaning kool-aid from my dip dye! Surprisingly the red didn't turn out as well...and I thought it was the most staining....xD

BlazingHeart
July 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM
I'm a bit wavier than you, but if I brush wet and smooth my hair, I can get down to the 1b area. Even if I wait and brush dry, I'm at most in the 1c range. So don't put too much weight on what your hair looks like if you brush it out. It changes things a lot for most wavies, which is part of why so many of us (myself included) thought we were straighties until we let things dry untouched so that we could be hairtyped.

~Blaze

GlennaGirl
July 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
OP: Cones can definitely pull waves out. :) But whoa, your hair is gorgeous straight as well. Pretty! :flower:

meishkamooshka
July 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm a bit wavier than you, but if I brush wet and smooth my hair, I can get down to the 1b area. Even if I wait and brush dry, I'm at most in the 1c range. So don't put too much weight on what your hair looks like if you brush it out. It changes things a lot for most wavies, which is part of why so many of us (myself included) thought we were straighties until we let things dry untouched so that we could be hairtyped.

~Blaze

That's good to know, and it makes sense! Thank you for sharing! Is there any detangling method that enables you to keep your waves in tact?!

OP: Cones can definitely pull waves out. :) But whoa, your hair is gorgeous straight as well. Pretty! :flower:

I'm glad to know I'm not crazy! I thought I was imagining that comes we're affecting my waves. Well thank you! You're too kind! ^.^

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 11:35 PM
A very pretty 2a for sure!

NataschaB.
July 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Pretty hair!

ravenheather
July 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM

I'm just starting cg right now hoping for more waves.

meishkamooshka
July 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
A very pretty 2a for sure!
Thank you very much. So sweet of you to say! :) :flower:

Pretty hair!
Thank you! You're kind. :blossom:

I'm just starting cg right now hoping for more waves.

Good luck to you! I'd love to hear how that goes! :)

Lostsoule77
July 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
[quote=meishkamooshka;2189943] Is there any detangling method that enables you to keep your waves in tact?!
quote]

I detangle before the shower, then again in the shower with conditioner in. I also apply some conditioner as a leave in so I finger detangle when I apply that while my hair is still dripping wet. Then I avoid touching it as much as possible while it's drying. I learned this mostly from GRU. :D

It only works for day 1 hair, but my hair is so much wavier when I do this (check the sig.) If I comb it while damp or dry I pull my waves right out to a 2a or even straight! I bet trying this would help you too. :)

meishkamooshka
July 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
I detangle before the shower, then again in the shower with conditioner in. I also apply some conditioner as a leave in so I finger detangle when I apply that while my hair is still dripping wet. Then I avoid touching it as much as possible while it's drying. I learned this mostly from GRU. :D

It only works for day 1 hair, but my hair is so much wavier when I do this (check the sig.) If I comb it while damp or dry I pull my waves right out to a 2a or even straight! I bet trying this would help you too. :)

Thank you so much! I'll definitely give this a try and see what I come up with. This was incredibly helpful and informative. Thanks again! :)

Lostsoule77
July 2nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
You're welcome! I hope it works for you as well as it has for me. :D

meishkamooshka
July 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
You're welcome! I hope it works for you as well as it has for me. :D

I'm going to try this method tonight and see what happens! I'll post pictures id successful! :)