PDA

View Full Version : Share you self-braiding method please :)

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 12:19 AM
When I do a single english braid on myself, my arms can never reach, so I obviously have to bring it over my shoulder, but when I do, half of my braid ends up in one direction and the other half in the opposite direction. Does that make sense?
So, can anyone give me tips on how to self-braid without ending up with a twisted braid?
What is your method?

Zhennni(:
June 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I need help on this too. When I try to finish my french briad and bring it over on one shoulder, the briad ends up curving to one side >:(

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I try to kind of pull it over my head. So, when I finish braiding, I flip whatever tail is there and start braiding as though I were going to braid up my head instead of down! I hope that makes sense.... I'm not sure how effective or secure this method is, but I do it anyway! ^.^

white.chocolate
June 30th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I get this too if I'm not careful. What you do is flip the braid that is over your shoulder if you haven't tried doing this before. Hope it helps - it does for me :)

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I get this too if I'm not careful. What you do is flip the braid that is over your shoulder if you haven't tried doing this before. Hope it helps - it does for me :)

^ I do this sometimes too!

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
^ I do this sometimes too!

Ah! What a simple solution!
Both sound very do-able. I will definitely try them. Thank you, ladies. :D

bettylibertine
June 30th, 2012, 01:13 AM
If I have understood the problem properly, I learnt how to fix this from a torrinpaige video (can't remember which one). When you bring the braid over your shoulder, if you're doing an English braid, swap to dutch braiding. And vice versa.

meishkamooshka
June 30th, 2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTL4cvr7q0

^ I think that might be the video you're referring to! She addresses that specific problem at like 4:40. :)

Teazel
June 30th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Honestly, I have no idea. :lol: I've been doing it for so long it's second nature, and I don't have to think about it... I just did an English braid half a dozen times, trying to work it out, and I still can't figure out how I avoid twisting it.

The only advice I can offer is to braid as far as you can behind your head before bringing it over your shoulder, even if it means making a cross or two without it being taut. Good luck!

bunzfan
June 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
The only advice I can offer is to braid as far as you can behind your head before bringing it over your shoulder, even if it means making a cross or two without it being taut. Good luck![/QUOTE]

This is what i do braid behind you as long as you can if i braid over my shoulder to soon it gets twisted .

bettylibertine
June 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks meishkamooshka! That's the one. :D
Hope it helps OP!

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks meishkamooshka! That's the one. :D
Hope it helps OP!

Yes, it helps a ton. Thank you :)

JesusFreak88
June 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Honestly, I have no idea. :lol: I've been doing it for so long it's second nature, and I don't have to think about it... I just did an English braid half a dozen times, trying to work it out, and I still can't figure out how I avoid twisting it.

I know what you mean. When It comes to a three strand braid it is so second nature that I don't think about it. I just started to do four stranded braids now and I begin to have a twisting problem if I don't think when I do the switch to over my shoulder. The only advice I can give is to take a moment once it is over you shoulder to figure out what strand you most recently crossed over. Once you figure that out then and only then start braiding. Once you figure out where you left off you can start up on the pattern again.

torrilin
June 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
If I have understood the problem properly, I learnt how to fix this from a torrinpaige video (can't remember which one). When you bring the braid over your shoulder, if you're doing an English braid, swap to dutch braiding. And vice versa.

The reason why this works btw is that Dutch and English braids are inverses of each other. If you flip over an English braid, it's Dutch and vice versa. I mentally have a hard time if I think of it as "switching", but if I can just keep thinking about working on maintaining the pattern that I started, I do ok.

I'll also often close my eyes or focus very hard on not looking if I pull a braid over my shoulder. If I look, I get tangled and I have to think through the pattern logic very carefully. If I work by feel, I do the braid correctly.

I don't have the same issues if I started out looking. I can watch while I do twin braids just fine. It's switching from working off muscle memory to working visually that screws me up.

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I tend to just go up. I think I would have to video it to show you... Gimme a minute

eta:
Watch a video of Keiky's butt! I mean me braiding my hair. Sorry about the silly fat cat in the way 70% of the time
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23670518

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I tend to just go up. I think I would have to video it to show you... Gimme a minute

eta:
Watch a video of Keiky's butt! I mean me braiding my hair. Sorry about the silly fat cat in the way 70% of the time

Oh wow you went out of your way! Thank you so much. This method looks easy. I'll give it a go. BTW your cat is ADORABLE. Now I miss mine :( :kitten:

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Oh wow you went out of your way! Thank you so much. This method looks easy. I'll give it a go. BTW your cat is ADORABLE. Now I miss mine :( :kitten:

No problem, it was actually very minimal effort and sorta fun

I am sorry for your Kitty Loss! :flower:

woolyleprechaun
June 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM

eta:
Your cat is such an attention seeker! :D But seriously, thanks for the vid. You and your hair look great BTW (Im sounding stalker again, sorry...:o)

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Your cat is such an attention seeker! :D But seriously, thanks for the vid. You and your hair look great BTW (Im sounding stalker again, sorry...:o)

Thank you! And you're more then welcome to stalk me any time. I don't mind and I will live <3:D

lunalocks
June 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I do not braid over my shoulder. I end up braiding with my hands behind my head, with the ends of the hair sticking up, letting the loop of the braid drop and the weight of the loop keeps the braid steady, and then braiding sort of upside down. I have also pulled the half finished braid over my head and continue braiding down in front of my face. I do that, also, for twisting the length before bunning.

ratgirldjh
June 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I recently realized that I can actually braid my just longer than shoulder length hair! I do it the same way as Seeshami - my hair isn't long enough to bring over my shoulder yet though.

Lostsoule77
June 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I just switch from english braiding to dutch when I bring it over my shoulders. I think I learned that from Torrain's video also. ;)