PDA

View Full Version : Does exercise stimulate the hair metabolism?

SurferB
June 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm wondering if working out has anything to do with my massive hair growth?! I'm doing weight lifting, pilates, and yoga on my cool down days.

letibear
June 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I believe it does. I think that anything contributing to a healthier body = healthier hair. :D

Madora
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yes! Better circulation aids in healthier hair.

SurferB
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Yes, I agree!

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I have always heard that being active will help.
I don't see why it wouldn't. You are making blood flow and stimulation happen.

Tia2010
June 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I believe it does. I think that anything contributing to a healthier body = healthier hair. :D

I agree :D

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Is this a trick to make me exercise? :c

I really SHOULD go jogging or something, I really have no excuse, but I'm just so lazy in the mornings. But your hair grows SO fast, I might try it for a month and see how it does! Besides exercise is good for me and all that stuff...

rock007junkie
June 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I believe exercise leads to better circulation and that increases hair growth. Most of those hair growth aids that most of us use here that's what they do: They increase blood flow to hair follicles. So that's the healthy, natural way to get it done :-)

pink.sara
June 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Exercise does absolutely nothing for my hair growth :shrug:

I was pretty disappointed by this!

Wavelength
June 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I would think nutrition has more of an effect on hair growth than exercise, and most people who exercise a lot also tend to eat well.

SurferB
June 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I eat very well, and exercise daily. I workout hard 3/week. All things combined, my hair is like weeds right now haha.

SerinaDaith
June 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Regardless of increased growth or not, I started working out before I joined LHC so I was not tracking growth rates before, I will keep trying my one "easy" day one "hard" day schedule. I eat better when I am working out because I don't want all that hard work being for nothing so if it does help it will be because I am eating better. I am now measuring everything once a month, hair, biceps, chest, waist, hips, thighs and sadly I am better about measuring because I can't wait to see where my hair is, the other ones I am much less interested in seeing at this point :(

CherrySilver
June 29th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I eat very well, and exercise daily. I workout hard 3/week. All things combined, my hair is like weeds right now haha.
Yep, me, too. The more I sweat working out, the faster it grows. Then again, I eat real healthy, too.

pink.sara
June 30th, 2012, 02:41 AM

Yup, me too.

Split day training 2 on 1 off with my competetive bodybuilder SO. I lift 60Kgs regularly.
And do 45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week and eat like a bodybuilder.

No change.

Enjoy the hair growth. You are very lucky.

Lucky_Lucy
June 30th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I'm wondering if working out has anything to do with my massive hair growth?! I'm doing weight lifting, pilates, and yoga on my cool down days.

Congrats on your hair growth! You're lucky ^^ But I'm sure that both nutrition and exercise help. :D

Is this a trick to make me exercise? :c

I really SHOULD go jogging or something, I really have no excuse, but I'm just so lazy in the mornings. But your hair grows SO fast, I might try it for a month and see how it does! Besides exercise is good for me and all that stuff...

Yeah, I'm lazy too! :))) I've been telling myself that I'm going to start working out from April :)) Well April's long gone and I haven't started yet. I wanted to try jogging too, but most parks are quite far away from where I live, and running on the street is not an option. :lol:
I suggest TaeBo & Yoga - they are really great, my body was in such a better condition when I was doing those regularly. I think maybe you'll like them? After all if you'll never try, than you'll never know.(Coldplay, yes..:inlove:) I've also been thinking of trying Pilates & Stretching.
Good luck!

FrannyG
June 30th, 2012, 05:38 AM
In my experience, yes. I've always noticed a correlation between my level of activity and the rapidity of my hair's growth, even before my LHC days.

Wildcat Diva
June 30th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Yes, this could be motivation to start working out. Possibly.

RileyJane
June 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
completely! i noticed when i started working out regularly that my hair has improved health, and that it grows a lot faster, too!

hafattack
June 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
my only concern is that it is harder to stretch washes when you are working out daily!

SerinaDaith
June 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
my only concern is that it is harder to stretch washes when you are working out daily!
I do a WO wash daily to keep my actual washing stretched, it helps a lot.

jenni0416
June 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Sounds good! Going to push even harder to be consistent with my workouts and maybe my hair will grow at even an average rate because that would be progress for me!! I'll try the WO before washes and see how it works.

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I exercise weight lift and on my off days I do a work out tape for abdominal toning. I've done this since February and haven't seen results in hair growth. I think food has more do with it.

MissCoco
June 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I definitely believe that intensive walking, dancing, lifting weights, yoga, etc. all contribute to optimal hair growth, and, objectively speaking, there is extensive statistical evidence and physical proof for it, so might as well get up and go as frequently as possible! :happydance: Also, even just doing some stretching and relaxation poses with your head upside down work well (I find it particularly enjoyable to do around bed time). :)

IndigoOptimist
July 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have a very active job - lifting boxes of bottles, shifting full kegs, heavy boxes of food, moving furniture, running around, not to mention the constant standing - and I've not seen any change in grow because of it. I think exercise can help with over all well being and therefore hair growth, but I don't think it alone can be held accountable for any hair growth ;)

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Of course it does! When I don't do anything, just browse LHC all day long, my hair stalls. When I go out every evening and have a beer and I go there by bike (20 minutes of cardio) my hair grows 4" that month! I think it's the beer tho'!

mckenzie
July 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Of course it does! When I don't do anything, just browse LHC all day long, my hair stalls. When I go out every evening and have a beer and I go there by bike (20 minutes of cardio) my hair grows 4" that month! I think it's the beer tho'!

you are too funny :D

palaeoqueen
July 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM

Does this mean I can start drinking wine during my yoga class? It does, doesn't it? ;)

PolarCathy
July 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Does this mean I can start drinking wine during my yoga class? It does, doesn't it? ;)

I don't know that but my first choice would be beer, of course organic :D :D because your body really needs the best stuff. No soda :D ;) :beerchug:

bumblebums
July 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM

Just thinking about beer long enough makes my hair grow. And then there are some beverages that will put hair on your chest, so be careful! :p

ratgirldjh
July 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I think somehow it might. Or at least yoga postures that involve your feet over your head. It seems my hair grows faster when I do yoga often. Probably has a lot to do with circulation. Actually I am sure it does.

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 03:39 AM
I don't know that but my first choice would be beer, of course organic :D :D because your body really needs the best stuff. No soda :D ;) :beerchug:
What about homemade organic wine?

I think somehow it might. Or at least yoga postures that involve your feet over your head. It seems my hair grows faster when I do yoga often. Probably has a lot to do with circulation. Actually I am sure it does.

So I need to drink my homemade organic wine upside down? I think I might need an IV drip for this...

PolarCathy
July 3rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
What about homemade organic wine?

I don't know :o I'm not a nutritionist :bounce:

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
I don't know :o I'm not a nutritionist :bounce:

There's only one way to find out then, I'll report back later today with hair measurements *hic*.

PolarCathy
July 3rd, 2012, 04:22 AM
There's only one way to find out then, I'll report back later today with hair measurements *hic*.

Or you can ask a nutritionist :D

Audrey Horne
July 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM

I'm with you on the beer. Will do that while having my hourly headstand. Now that should be such a blast! :cheer:

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM
Or you can ask a nutritionist :D

I would but I already started the experiment and now I'm too drunk.

bunzfan
July 3rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
I would but I already started the experiment and now I'm too drunk.
:rollin::beercheer:

PolarCathy
July 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
I'm with you on the beer. Will do that while having my hourly headstand. Now that should be such a blast! :cheer:

--that's a very good idea, I'll implement that into my routine. So hourly headstands from 7AM - 8PM, maybe having 1/2 bottle of beer every third time, then the 20 min cardio to the pub, 1 or 2 beers, and cardio back home. I think next month I'll report 6"! :cool: :beerchug: :gobblecheese:

browneyedsusan
July 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
--that's a very good idea, I'll implement that into my routine. So hourly headstands from 7AM - 8PM, maybe having 1/2 bottle of beer every third time, then the 20 min cardio to the pub, 1 or 2 beers, and cardio back home. I think next month I'll report 6"! :cool: :beerchug: :gobblecheese:

:thumbsup::beercheer:

ddiana1979
July 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
In my experience, exercise strongly influences hair growth. When I trained for a triathlon last year, I had tons of growth even though I was in the pool every day (despite wearing a swim cap, I was really worried the chlorine would torch my hair AND I absolutely had to wash my hair daily because I was a sweaty, chlorine-y mess every day). Now I do yoga 6 days a week for 75-90 minutes, and run 30 minutes 4 days a week. More speedy growth! :)

Audrey Horne
July 3rd, 2012, 08:53 AM

You can do it! And I'm sure I can report six inches after extra beers and ermm widen my tracks of land :o

SerinaDaith
July 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
Wow guys I like me some beer but what's with the sarcasm? Even if exercise does not increase growth it's good for us. I've had three kids, I have the marsupial pouch and so I started working out because I hate the way I look. If by some weird crazy happenstance I also get some extra growth because I am eating better or because I am doing Pilates then awesome. I guess I am wondering what's with all the hate?

Audrey Horne
July 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Wow guys I like me some beer but what's with the sarcasm? Even if exercise does not increase growth it's good for us. I've had three kids, I have the marsupial pouch and so I started working out because I hate the way I look. If by some weird crazy happenstance I also get some extra growth because I am eating better or because I am doing Pilates then awesome. I guess I am wondering what's with all the hate?

Where do you see hate? :confused: Sarcasm doesn't equal hate. We have our inside jokes... :cheese: It has absolutely nothing to do with people who work out.

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
I thought it was just a bit of sillyness and fun? :confused:

PolarCathy
July 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I thought it was just a bit of sillyness and fun? :confused:

It's ok :) ;)

palaeoqueen
July 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
It's ok :) ;)

Oh good, I'll get back to my wine and yoga now ;)

MrsGuther
July 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Wine and yoga? I'm in! Lol

Dovetail
July 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Haha I'd totally dig wine and yoga! It might make me fall asleep though! Maybe we need a lhc "exercise for the hair" support thread :3

There was some iOS app about couch to 2k or something like that.. Does anyone know what it was?

Audrey Horne
July 4th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Haha I'd totally dig wine and yoga! It might make me fall asleep though! Maybe we need a lhc "exercise for the hair" support thread :3

There was some iOS app about couch to 2k or something like that.. Does anyone know what it was?

Was it really couch to 2k or coach to 2k? I like the first one just as much as the second hehe
I think you are talking about Coach to 5k thread. Somethink like that.

fairystar32
July 5th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have switched to mainly raw food over the last 6 mths, organic grass fed meat and eggs over the last almost 12 mths, do yoga,pilates, dance and weights, reduced dairy and pasta/bread and found NO difference, infact my hair has hardly grown... :(

pink.sara
July 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I have switched to mainly raw food over the last 6 mths, organic grass fed meat and eggs over the last almost 12 mths, do yoga,pilates, dance and weights, reduced dairy and pasta/bread and found NO difference, infact my hair has hardly grown... :(

Sorry to hear this fairystar. But I'm in the same boat... Changed my diet/nutrition and now do massive amounts of hard training and it's still trundling along at 1cm a month mostly :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should get involved with the wine yoga? Or the beer pilates ;)

neko_kawaii
July 5th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear this fairystar. But I'm in the same boat... Changed my diet/nutrition and now do massive amounts of hard training and it's still trundling along at 1cm a month mostly :rolleyes:

Genetics. My mother's hair grows painfully slowly. She had an unfortunate "trim" from about waist length to curls just past her shoulders before I was born. Thirty years later it is TBL. Her sister's hair doesn't grow past, I'd guess APL. There are some things that are just beyond your control.

bunzfan
July 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I think genetics do play a huge role in how fast one persons hair grows my mum had really strong hair which she abuses regularly bleach,hot iron, rollers and her hair still grow's quick i'm told my does to, my grows not quite a inch a month i do get some exercise though i walk regularly. I have found though that when i eat better more fruit,veg etc my hair really does grow especially if i eat eggs.

pink.sara
July 5th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Genetics. My mother's hair grows painfully slowly. She had an unfortunate "trim" from about waist length to curls just past her shoulders before I was born. Thirty years later it is TBL. Her sister's hair doesn't grow past, I'd guess APL. There are some things that are just beyond your control.

I think with me it's the aging process :(

When I was in my teens/20's my hair would grow more than an inch a month every month, I grew from a chin bob at 12 to knee length dreadlocks by 18/19 (and dreads eat up lots of length) then cut to a teenie less than an inch long pixie at 19 and was back at tailbone by 23.

But now I'm in my early 30's although my skin is very good for my age despite smoking and tanning, my hair has slowed it's growth enormously. My Mother in contrast has the skin of a crocodile handbag and hair that has roots after a week ;)

I was hoping giving up smoking, eating like a bodybuilder (preparing additive free, high protein foods from scratch) weightlifiting, roller derby and not drinking would speed growth... alas. Not :p

Guess I'm just getting old. :shrug:

Amber_Maiden
July 5th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Oh good! I've started working out recently! YAY!

Ephemeral
July 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM

When I was in my teens/20's my hair would grow more than an inch a month every month, I grew from a chin bob at 12 to knee length dreadlocks by 18/19 (and dreads eat up lots of length) then cut to a teenie less than an inch long pixie at 19 and was back at tailbone by 23.

But now I'm in my early 30's although my skin is very good for my age despite smoking and tanning, my hair has slowed it's growth enormously. My Mother in contrast has the skin of a crocodile handbag and hair that has roots after a week ;)

I was hoping giving up smoking, eating like a bodybuilder (preparing additive free, high protein foods from scratch) weightlifiting, roller derby and not drinking would speed growth... alas. Not :p

Let's hope that age isn't the factor!! I am fast approaching 50 and would love to celebrate with waist length hair. I have 2.5 years to go (not that I'm counting or anything!) ;)

SurferB
July 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I've got my daddy's blonde hair, and my mom's thickness ;-P

50/50 everything

SerinaDaith
July 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
My hair is thicker than both of my parents and a little lighter in color, the only thing hair wise I got from my dad was silver at 19.

SurferB
July 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I had a friend who also had silver really young! Why does that happen?!

fairystar32
July 6th, 2012, 01:55 AM
I agree. Mine was always fast growing until after the pregnancy of my 4th child, my hair broke, fell out and was awful, all through pregnancy, breastfeeding and still now he is 4!
I have also had health issues recently and lots of stress moving overseas, family health and my health during these 4 yrs too.
So I guess its age ( I am in my late 30's) and stress for me..
My hair was always my best feature and the only thing I liked about myself and I feel its going down hill too :(

kidari
July 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I make a point to eat well and I work out very regularly. I have not always been like this and I do notice that my hair grows faster when I work out harder and I get hungrier and eat more too lol. My growth is about 10 inches a year on average.

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I hope so, I've just started swimming again! I should probably do some exercises which don't involve chlorine though! :D

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Let's hope that age isn't the factor!! I am fast approaching 50 and would love to celebrate with waist length hair. I have 2.5 years to go (not that I'm counting or anything!) ;)
It may be for some women, but certainly not all. My growth is about the same as it's always been, and I started growing at 50. It might be a tiny bit thinner since menopause, but that may also be a perchieved change, because I know how to manage my thickness better.

Teufelchen
August 14th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I think there is a correlation, but only to the point that an overall healthy body does function well and can grow hair at the peak of its genetic possibilities.

That being said, I would prefer an alcohol-free beer to any of those isotonic drinks sold at the gym, as it is way healthier. (I am from Germany where most breweries, stick to the Reinheitsgebot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot))

LoveAngelBeauty
August 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
If hair doesn't inspire me to get out of bed and sweat it up, nothing will :D

Sarahlabyrinth
August 14th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Don't see any hate on this thread, humour yes - now, where's the beer?

BrownEyedBeauty
August 18th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I think that it does because it increases circulation to the scalp. If you are eating properly, this should provide your hair and scalp with the optimum essential nutrients for increased hair growth.

Ginger Kitteh
August 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I don't really notice if it does affect hair growth. Then again, I don't measure. But I was extremely active during soccer training last year. Our coach made us practice up to four hours a day. Maybe that is too much exercise and there is a cap at which your body starts slowing it's metabolism. Then again, Ginger kitteh likes pulling nonsense from her :roll:

I would do some wine yoga with y'all but I'm pretty sure my substance-free dorm would frown upon that :D. Oh okay, maybe a sip and then get at it.