PDA

View Full Version : Are you as meticulous with your skin care as you are with your hair?

Tehillim408
June 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM
We of the LHC go through great lengths (no pun intended!) to take good care of our hair. Some would even call us obsessed!

But what about skin, and even nails? Do you spend as much time on these areas of the body as well? Or is it just having long, healthy hair that you focus on?

For me, it's all three! Hair, skin, and nails. I find that they all go together.

afu
June 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Well I take good care of my hair, and that influences my nails a lot. When I used to shampoo and condition as normal my nails grew very slowly and were flaky and weak - since starting to CO my nails are strong and grow so so fast. CO was all that changed so im thinking maybe the SLS in my shampoos was effecting my nails. However I work with farm animals so I cut my nails all the time anyway.

With my skin I try to us as many natural products as possible to replace 'conventional' (as i also do with my hair). I use honey to wash and aloe vera gel and oils to moisturise. The only makeup I wear is a tinted moisturiser with sunscreen in it

Nae
June 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Well, I pay more attention to the hair. Everything else is pretty much benign neglect. (I do put on lotion every once in a while.)

Amanah
June 29th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I also take care of hair/skin/nails.

I oil my face/hair/body daily.

clean and moisturize my face with a blend of Almond & Jojoba oil.

oil my body with a blend of Coconut/Olive oil.

keep my finger and toe nails nicely filed and clean.

brave
June 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I go through phases. First I was meticulous about nails. Now it's hair. I kind of went through the face phase a long time ago. Each phase kind of served for me to figure out what worked for me, and then I don't tweak it much.

Face: Not much cleaning, tons of moisture, light tinted moisturizer or bb cream. Benzoyl peroxide works better than salicylic acid for my acne. Most of my acne is hormonal, rare, and can't be helped much :(

Nails: PAMPER THE CUTICLES. Learning what worked for my nails helped me a lot when learning about what my hair wants, because the concepts are the same. You have to find a balance of moisture and protein. For me, my nails like protein, but they don't need too much or they become brittle. But my cuticles love moisture and are always cracked and sad. Additionally, massaging cuticles makes nails happy.

Hair: Still learning. A lot like nails.

Edit: Hah, I think my hair is also like my face. Not much cleaning please.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I'm as inconsistent about caring for either, if that's what you mean :p

Sometimes I'm so careful with my hair, deep treatments and wearing it up all the time, other times I'll just sleep with it loose.

Sometimes I wear sunscreen religiously and use retinol at night, other times I...well... forget to go to church, let's just put it that way.

I suppose I'm still more careful with my hair though, I always wash it a particular way.

CurlyCap
June 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I care as much about my skin as my hair.

Thing is, I know much more about HOW to care for my hair than my skin. I'm still trying to find a routine for my skin and face...and I'm nearly 30. Gah.

pepperminttea
June 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Goodness no. My skin thrives on benign neglect. My facial routine is moisturiser twice a week, occasional honey washes when necessary, and even more occasional brown sugar scrubs. The rest of me gets washed in the shower, and occasionally moisturised. It seems happy that way. :) My nails I just keep clean, filed smooth for finger-combing, and short-ish (never more than a millimetre or two past my fingertip). I don't paint them, it looks and feels wrong on me and I've always hated the smell and hassle anyway.

Macaroni
June 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I wear sunscreen and translucent mineral powder when I'm out.
I wash my face with Kiss My Face olive oil soap and exfoliate once a week. In winter I'll add some alpha hydroxy cream.
My nails are short and buffed.

Tristania
June 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I take extremely good care of my skin, better than my hair and nails actually (of course that doesn't mean that I don't take very good care of my hair). My nails always seem to be a bit of an afterthought though. I do weekly manicures and keep them relatively short, but I'm not that high maintenance with my nails, really.

MissManda
June 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I don't spend a lot of time caring for my skin, but that's because it's pretty easy to deal with. As long as I tend to it for a few minutes in the morning and the evening, it stays soft and clear, so it doesn't require as much attention as my hair does. :shrug:

Tia2010
June 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have been meticulous with skincare since about 17, but I'm just catching up in the haircare knowledge department :) So I would say over all my skin was always top priority. My hair was kind of secondary but thankfully benign neglect at the time did wonders for it :)

My nails on the other hand, I don't do anything to at all. They are clean and look nice, but I rarely wear nail polish.

BrightEyes
June 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I feel I'm as concerned for the health of my skin as I am for my hair. It's my nails that suffer, I have a horrid habit of biting them when I am nervous or bored:o. I'm trying to quit but it's been hard.

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Haha no. I out in lotion sometimes if I look dry and scaley. And I shave...sometimes I'll wash my face with that scrubby stuff if it's looking cruddy. Oh and I put sunscreen on my nose/ears if I'm going to be out, since my daddy always told me it was a good thing to do. But that's it really.

Oh, and for my nails, forget about it! I try not to bite them, sometimes I'll polish if I'm bored, but since I have no remover I usually just pick it off after a while. They're thin and fray at the tips so if they get Toni just pull them off. I'm sure someone out there is cringing.

jacqueline101
June 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'm a make up wearer and I moisturize regularly. My nails are long I keep them groomed and clean,

lapushka
June 29th, 2012, 11:57 AM
My hair routine is pretty simple and thrives on benign neglect, as does my skin routine. I love my Nivea (blue tin) as a moisturizer and WO. Sometimes I go with the OCM if make-up comes into play.

Jing
June 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM
My facial skin is terrible, but better than it was thanks to tips I found here. I OCM every other day, make my own night creme, dry brush, do the occasional honey mask etc. etc. The rest of my skin doesn't get quite as much attention. I could do more, and I should.

As for nails, I don't care one bit. Never did. I've always had them fairly long, and they're fairly strong and grow fairly fast. I keep them long for utility - they're great for picking up needles and other small things, scooping coconut oil, scraping off things that are stuck to other things... Every time I cut them short, the increased effort required to do these little things drives me up the wall.

Valorie
June 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
In one word: Yes.
:)

racrane
June 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
My skin and hair like benign neglect so that's what I end up doing. I do wash my face with cetaphil AM and PM, and use coconut oil on my body, but that's about it. Pretty much the same with my hair. I'm too lazy, so I'm glad I have something that works.

I need to apply more sunscreen, though. That's my main flaw.

sugarpixie10988
June 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I take really good care of my skin. After dealing with horrible acne a few years ago, I became really obsessed with making it look normal. My entire lifestyle changed because of it, everything from what I ate to what deodorant I wear. It's clear now, thankfully. It doesn't take as much work now that I know what it needs.

I don't really care about my nails, I keep them clean and neat looking, but I rarely break out the nail polish.

spirals
June 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm very involved when it comes to skincare because I fought acne until I was 26, 27. Now I'm holding off wrinkles. I'm 38 but look 30. I thank vitamin C and retinoids, both of which I have used for 20 years. Also, wearing spackle to cover the acne shielded me from desert sun. I seem to have almost-indestructible hair. It's an even mix of fine, med, and coarse hair. All it needs is plenty of glycerin in the routine. It really helps that I rarely brush it and use non-ammonia color, which I do maybe twice a year for fun.

spirals
June 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I forgot to add that I have a four-sided buffer for my nails. They are so much healthier since I went ovo-lacto vegetarian (3 1/2 years). I o like acrylic nails, but they're not in the budget, and my nails are now evidence of veg*n benefits.

johnnystiletto
June 29th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm meticulous and almost OBSESSIVE about my skin care. Luckily for me, what works best for me ISN'T a lot of crazy products, and pretty much everything I use is all-natural, fairly inexpensive and low-scoring on the EWG SkinDeep website.

My one splurge though? My Clarisonic - worth every penny!!!

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I really don't.
Lately I have really simplified.
I have been washing my face with my moms home made soap (with wonderful results), Followed by witch hazel infused with rose water. It makes my skin soooo soft and firm.

It even has a cute little story on the bottle about how it helped the lady who created it with looking 10 years younger at an older age. If the store keeps carrying it I will always buy it. It is Thayers witch hazel. I don't even have to use lotion anymore. And on top of that, my skin isn't trying to over do it on oil production because it is moisturized and not dry.

My skin is really weird on my face. I have always battled with zits and dryness. I wonder why I didn't use this soap on my face the last 13 or so years my mom has been making it.
Since using it I also haven't had any big zits on my chin like I usually get.

Other than that, if I remember to put lotion on my body I will do it but aside from that I never really do. I guess I should but being in a more moist climate (I was in the desert before) My skin is soft on its own and not all white and flaky.
Even my dogs are really really soft just being here.

ratgirldjh
June 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I also went through a period of trying to find the best stuff for my face and body and wanted something that worked well for everything.

I was happy with my hair and all of a sudden noticed my face needed help.

So I tried a number of oils over the years and finally settled on of all things vaseline petroleum jelly!

I just use a little bit and massage it in like cold cream and either wash it off with a scrubby wash cloth or take some toilet paper and wipe it off.

Then I spray my face with filtered water and add a tiny bit more petroleum jelly to any drier areas and that's all!!!

Occasionally I'll do either a turmeric or clay mask or use my hair soap on my face (before this I didn't use soap on my skin for like 20 years) but I find my skin likes it occasionally!

Since I've been doing only the above my skin looks amazing!!! It is firmer, I actually have color in my face and my pores are invisible! Who would have known?

Can't believe I tried so many much more complicated things over the years when less is definitely more for my skin!

Othala
June 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
My facial skin gets washed twice a day, my hands about 6 times a day and my hair about twice a week. The same applied to regularity of conditioner/moisturiser. So I guess my hands get the most treatment but basically I am a low maintenance type of person and I garden and play with the dogs, etc, and have no desire to wear make-up or have mani-pedis and so on.

I like to be clean and well-groomed but not to the point of obsession.

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty meticulous about my nails and skin. Especially my nails, since I used to bite them horribly for the majority of my life, and only recently quit. I baby them now, and LOVE nail polish because I can finally use it!

Sadly, I have tons of acne because of my stupid birth control, so no matter what I do to my face it seems I can't stop it. I'm going to try and switch to a non hormonal birth control soon. I have an appointment next week and seriously it cannot come fast enough :(

Mayflower
June 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I am. My skin is more important to me than my hair to be honest. Hair you can cut off and start over with, but (premature) wrinkles, sunspots etc. are there to stay. You can't start over with a fresh new skin.
When I was younger I spend a lot of money on different products that never really worked. Now I've found a simple and gentle routine that gives me pretty much the skin I had before I was a teenager; soft, clear, supple, glowy. I cleanse morning and night, and moisturise with gentle anti-acne products. I never go to bed with my make-up on, not even when I'm drunk or half asleep. I use sunscreen on my face and neck every day, I never skip it. Once a week I scrub and massage my face and use a rhassoul clay face mask. I drink tons of water and eat my fruits and veggies.
My body skin tends to dry out so I use a lotion all over and coconut oil on my feet everynight, and on my legs after I've shaved. Use gentle showergels, scrub etc. etc.

Nails.. I keep them clean and short because I don't like the look of long nails. I paint them a lot but every now and then I keep them bare for a month or so, just to give them a rest. Oh and I use hand lotion a lot.

elbow chic
June 29th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yes, I try to keep it simple-but-effective on both skin and hair.

I am a sunscreen fanatic and started retinol in my mid-twenties. Now wear SPF 50 by day and tretinoin by night.

My nails, though... I keep them short and reasonably clean, that's it.

TheMechaGinger
June 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Not me! I actually never wash my face. When I shower I figure it gets clean enough and when I get out of the shower I just put a really thin layer of vaseline on my face and ta-da! That's it. I don't even own a face wash because I don't feel like I need one, I never get any zits or anything. But I also don't wear foundation or anything like that on my skin either so there's nothing to really wash off in the first place. If the rest of my skin gets dry I put coconut or almond oil on it

ETA: I also never wear sunscreen, I know I should as a red head living in the desert but I just never think to. I never get burned either so I'm just really really lazy about it

As for my nails, I do have a huge collection of polish but it's hard for me to grow my nails out long and keep them long for more than a couple weeks. I always end up tearing them up! I've been trying so hard to work on that though

henné
June 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
It's all about my mood. I go through obsessive phases and I go through neglectful phases ... But overall I'm very down to earth, a realist and I LOVE MINIMALISM above all. I think that sometimes too much care can be detrimental for hair, skin or nails and leaving them alone can be the best thing one can do for 'them'. The most important thing no matter what is diet anyway. Everything else is secondary. And even when it comes to diet, I sometimes seriously slack off. I just don't force things. I let things flow.

I like myself like that. Nice and laid back. And I laugh all the time and I sleep with my hair down and I go days without even touching my face :D Oh, btw, stress is one of the worst things to do to your hair, skin or nails ;)

Take it easy ... that's my motto.

Ticky
June 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I find that less is more for me in this case. My skin is on the sensitive side, so I don't do much to it. I wash my face with water and clean it using a solution that a dermatologist recommended for my sister, as it works for me.

For the rest of my body, it is water only for the most part. I moisturize it once in a while, since it tends to get dry. I also try to have a healthy diet, that is never a bad thing.

I don't do anything special for my nails, aside from keeping them at the same average-shortish length. I just let them be.

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I suppose you could say I am a minimalist, unless I get obsessed about something. Most days I remember to comb my hair and put it back in a bun at least once, wash my face with water, and washing the dishes usually takes care of the dirt under my nails.

Ambystoma
June 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I am, in a way, but I'm also a benign neglecter in a way too. I've discovered what works best through lots of experimentation for my skin and nails (and I'm a super manicure obsessive), but once I find a routine I like, I don't change it. I wash my face with pure castor oil, and if it wants a scrub I add some BS. If it needs a little moisture it gets a honey and lemon juice masque. The body and cuticles get coconut oil. I don't wash my skin at all with anything apart from these oils or warm water, and all the "problems" that I had have ceased to be an issue so I'm happy to have a nice simple routine that works wonders :).

I've noticed the cuticles on my hands need no care at all since starting Monistat rubbed into my scalp, so I guess they were a little sad from a sub clinical fungal infection maybe.

NoRush
June 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
My skin loves benign neglect best, I wash it thoroughly when I shower and after I take my makeup off, so basically once a day, then I moisturize and if I need it I have a spot treatment handy.

I used to have fairly bad hormonal induced cystic acne so i tried everything under the sun but when the hormones got under control all that stuff was just too much. It's so low maintenance now, I can obsess over my hair to my heart's content :bounce:

Bianca
June 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
No, not skin, it gets washed when I shower, and thats it. Nails, I keep long and pretty, and love nail polish :D

missmelaniem
June 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I invest WAY MORE effort into skin (face & body) care than my hair. I get TCA peels, glycolic peels on both my face and body. I scrub every day when I shower, I am a militant user of SPF and things like hats, parasols and other sun protective clothing.

I also exercise 4 to 6 days a week, weights and cardio... yeah my hair is easy peasy in comparison... :)

eta: nails.. i keep them short and manicured. I have about 5 natural looking polishes that I use on both my tips and toes plus a few manicuring implements. Thats about it.

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hair: obsessed, but I try to leave it alone.

Skin: currently a mess, usually benign neglect

Nails: They grow too fast to take care of except cutting them back to about 1/4 inch long every couple of days. If I don't cut them every 1.5 weeks at least the white part gets to be over .5 inches long... yikes! My toes are pretty bad right now too.

mckellyn
June 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
For me, it's all three! Hair, skin, and nails. I find that they all go together.

I agree - It's all three for me too! Taking care of my hair, skin, and nails keeps them looking great, and keeps me feeling feminine and confident : )

christyrose
June 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I have just started doing my nails as in filing and painting them weekly, but my face yes I try to take good care of it. I have sensitive skin so I have to be careful what I use on it.

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
No time for skin care with hair

Oksana
July 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
My hair is my top priority but i do care for my skin and spend a reasonable amount of time and money to look after it.

Arashi
July 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
I would say that I spend almost as much effort on my skin as I do my hair. Really, most of the LHC hair methods I use have transferred over to my skincare regimen(to the great benefit of my skin): cone free, sulfate free, oils, an inclination for 'natural' ingredients, etc. As for my nails, I don't do anything for them beyond the very basics- trimming and filing as needed.

lmfbs
July 2nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Goodness no. My skin thrives on benign neglect. My facial routine is moisturiser twice a week, occasional honey washes when necessary, and even more occasional brown sugar scrubs. The rest of me gets washed in the shower, and occasionally moisturised. It seems happy that way. :) My nails I just keep clean, filed smooth for finger-combing, and short-ish (never more than a millimetre or two past my fingertip). I don't paint them, it looks and feels wrong on me and I've always hated the smell and hassle anyway.

Tell me more about this honey wash?!

sweetestpoison
July 2nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
my skin and hair care regiments are pretty much equal in how much work is put into them. I rinse my face off after any exercise. I make sure to wash it every night before bed and remove my make up followed with some olive oil as a night time moisturizer. In the morning i use olay spf 30 moisturizer to protect me from the sun, and don't usually use makeup all over my face, only around my eyes.

Ciridae
July 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
I used to be obsessed with my nails and nail polish: I amassed almost 600 bottles of polish in my craziness. But as I became more eco-aware (and thus, ashamed lol), the madness abated to more 'normal' levels hehe. I now take as much care of my skin and hair as I do of my nails, and treat them as a hobby. This way I don't feel bad if I spend time on 'forum research' instead of in my garden :-)

Ml001
July 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
It's all about my mood. I go through obsessive phases and I go through neglectful phases ... But overall I'm very down to earth, a realist and I LOVE MINIMALISM above all. I think that sometimes too much care can be detrimental for hair, skin or nails and leaving them alone can be the best thing one can do for 'them'. The most important thing no matter what is diet anyway. Everything else is secondary. And even when it comes to diet, I sometimes seriously slack off. I just don't force things. I let things flow.

I like myself like that. Nice and laid back. And I laugh all the time and I sleep with my hair down and I go days without even touching my face :D Oh, btw, stress is one of the worst things to do to your hair, skin or nails ;)

Take it easy ... that's my motto.

Sounds a lot like me!

IvanaGil
July 2nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Not really. My hair is definitely my priority. My skincare routine is basically wash everyday and then oil with coconut oil. That's it. I have very dry skin, so I don't slather it with makeup.
As for my nails, I was blessed. My nails grow disgustingly fast and they're super thick and strong, but I can't stop biting them :)

evieisocoolike
July 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
I try to be, but I can't wear nail polish (not even a clear coat :rolleyes:) at my school, so I just trim them. As for my skin, I wash my face with honey/coconut oil/ sugar and olive oil/ whatever I feel like. I use tea tree oil for blemishes, and egg whites for a pore mask. In addition, I put coconut oil on my eyelashes with a mascara applicator, and put some below the water line, and they've grown A LOT! Yay! :cheese: As for moisturizer, I use aloe vera/ coconut oil as a moisturizer. It works wonders! :D

mrs_coffee
July 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
I do take care of my skin. I cleanse and moisturize, do microderm and TCA peels when necessary. My hair is more benign neglect than anything. I don't do much more that wash it once a week and henna every six weeks or so. My nails are kept short. I transcribe for a living so long/fancy nails are not compatible with my life.

FrannyG
July 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
I am not, but I really need to start taking better care of my skin. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

ApatheticFairy
July 3rd, 2012, 08:37 AM
I benign neglect my skin other than washing and putting on SPF 50 every time I go outside. My hair? Much more attention. I don't do anything with my nails but cut them.

EndlessSunshine
July 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
I do a body scrub 2-3 times a week, pedicure/manicure once a week at home, and I do face masks daily. I want to stop painting my nails. They grow very fast and are strong but I know I am drying them out by painting them every week. Right now they are fire engine red. My face masks are what feels right for the day. Today I feel greasy so probably an egg white mask or an orange juice and baking soda mask. I don't wear make up, I think it ages a person. I will wear a clear mascara and lip gloss.

Shiranshoku
July 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Not yet, especially for my nails... I need to stop biting them. I do keep my hands very clean.

For my skin: I use mostly natural products, and do a scrub followed by lotion once a week or so. My face used to be very oily and I had acne, but since I started using Vichy Normaderm this has improved drastically. I also hardly ever use make up. As I am allergic to the sun, i usually cover my skin, or wear a hat + lots of sunscreen.

I like to think that when I'm older, all those who mocked me with my white skin will be all wrinkled. Seriously, the sun is bad for you.

maborosi
July 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sorta. I usually focus on making sure my skin gets cleaned well at night. I use gentle exfoliation every night and apply Amlactin. For the daytime, I am VERY careful about my skin and the sun- I use a good sunscreen lotion all over and use a sunscreen powder for my face.

~maborosi~

NataschaB.
July 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
No, I take better care of my hair than my skin and nails. I do nothing to my nails besides cutting them. Or well, sometimes I put nail polish on them.
Sometimes I use a moisturizer on my skin, but not daily.

dulce
July 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Yes,after dealing with a skin cancer on my cheek,I use a strong spf sunscreen daily even if I never leave the house plus put a strong spf mineral loose powder above that.

Ebrox
July 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
more so! I suffer from rosacea.. so I take extra care of my super sensitive skin..

humble_knight
July 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
I pay more attention to skincare than my hair. That's only because I haven't reached my hair-goal yet, which will still take a few years. Nails - I keep them trimmed short. Long nails freak me out! I engage in manscaping now and again, too :mrt:

panffle
July 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I pay much more attention to the skincare than my hair. If I don't, I break out in acne...
I keep my nails short-ish and sometimes apply nailpolish.

Words
July 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I pay much more attention to the skincare than my hair. If I don't, I break out in acne...
I keep my nails short-ish and sometimes apply nailpolish.

I do this too. I also love reading about skin care.

Demi-Plum
July 10th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I prefer to take care of all three myself. Mainly because I have a bad form of eczema that requires me to take care of my skin. I do take special care of my face though because I will have to show it off my whole life, so I want it to be as well taken care of as I know how. I also do my nails on a regular basis. I have splits though that I have yet to figure out how to rid myself of. It could be hyperthyroidism that I just won't go get tested for (my grandmother had hers taken out so it's possible) or some other kind of deficiency that I don't know how to fix. So I just keep filing them and polishing them hoping to make them stronger.

Diamond.Eyes
July 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
After learning just how skin works in cosmetology school, I can say that I am very educated on skin and I am a little obsessed with it as well. I try to focus more on nutrition and nourishing the dermis layer beneath the skin by eating healthy, rather than focusing on face masqes and expensive creams that have little effect on the dead cells of the epidermis (top layers of skin). But still, with that said, I do use SPF 50, eye cream, day cream, night cream, an exfoliant, and cold cream or olive oil to remove my makeup. I believe it is very important to let your skin do its own thing. There are oil and sweat glands for a reason, and it is much better to work around your oil and/or sweat production rather than trying to change your skin type and seriously messing up the regulation and PH balance in your skin.

As far as my body, I try to exfoliate my skin every other day then seal in moisture with a rich moisturizer. I also apply SPF 50 to any part of my body that will be exposed to sun.

I don't think my skin routine would be so tedious if I didn't live in such an extreme climate. It is going to be 122 F today with little humidity or sun coverage from the clouds....plus I am pale. :) I don't want skin cancer. :flower:
And the farthest I go with my nails is maybe getting a pedicure once a month and applying cuticle oil once in a while. My nails are thick and healthy so I don't do much with them. :shrug:

Neecola
July 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I agree - It's all three for me too! Taking care of my hair, skin, and nails keeps them looking great, and keeps me feeling feminine and confident : )

Me three! I'm kinda a girlie girl :o but I love to climb trees and play in the dirt too--as as long as I can slather on my vitamin C and sunscreen beforehand and give myself a manicure afterwards :lol:

Dragon Faery
July 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Not really.
My skin doesn't seem to need much, but even so I neglect it. Usually my face only gets a water rinse in the shower. It would prefer that I use a scrub and moisturizer every few days, butI don't currently have a bathroom mirror, so I tend to forget about it. My body would prefer to be practically drowned in lotion, but I hate putting things on my skin, so it rarely happens. I guess I'll pay for it in wrinkles later.

My nails are neglected until they get too long; then I cut them. I used to keep them long, but had to cut them short when learning a new musical instrument, and now it's habit to keep them short. I like nail polish, but I hate how it feels, so I rarely wear it, even though I have a huge collection. :p

kitcatsmeow
July 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I take the simplistic approach to hair, nails and skin. All natural ingredients and as few products as possible. I use a wonderful organic face scrub I found at the whole foods store that makes my skin radiant and fresh and soft! IF I'm out I use honey. I also dry brush daily which is wonderful. I have to say my skin is beautiful. It's never looked better but I honestly think it mostly has to do with my raw, vegan lifestyle.
I usually keep my nails very short but since I haven't been digging in the garden or working outside much I may let them grow. And they get super long!

RitaCeleste
July 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I condition and color the hair so I can let the rest go to pot! Seriously, I color my hair unnatural shades of red on purpose so it looks like I'm making an effort. I expect people to go, "Oh, she dyes her hair at least!" I forget to wear even lipstick. I have long hair. I am so plain and boring otherwise I might be mistaken for being very religious. My nails just grow, I buy the nail polish but keeping that up is such a chore people are more likely to see the remains of nail polish from three weeks ago. My skin, well, its just there, if its really dry on my face, I might rub oily hands over it, you know after I've oiled my hair. ;)

amanda_the_tall
July 10th, 2012, 12:02 PM
i'm a nail biter, so they're not looking too good as of late. they're always short though, because they're weak and get caught on stuff. i take pretty good care of my hair, skin... could be improved. my diet went to crap once i started commuting to school, so i gotta work on it then my skin should be back to normal. i try to not use anything on it, because it hates everything (even sunscreen). i still wear it when i know i'll be outside for more than a few minutes, then deal with the consequences later.

Rocky
July 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think I'm careful with my skin definitely, but no so much my nails. They kind of get forgotten and left alone whereas I make sure to always moisturise/baby oil my body/face. I've never really thought about caring for my nails, but I might start now :D

Face: Not much cleaning, tons of moisture, light tinted moisturizer or bb cream. Benzoyl peroxide works better than salicylic acid for my acne. Most of my acne is hormonal, rare, and can't be helped much :(

Hey Brave have you been to the doc about your acne? Mine was quite bad and I was put on a range of antibiotics, each for 6 months, but none of them seemed to work. Discovered the acne was purely hormonal and I was put on the pill - Dianette - which really helped in sorting out my acne. I still get a few break outs the week before my period, but I don't have acne any more. Hope this helps!

guns1969
July 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh, I'm definitely obsessive about all 3 .. or maybe not so much about my nails as they are healthy and usually well-manicured. I'm just not obsessive about having my nails painted all the time, so long as they are neat and tidy. I've been a long-time member of a skincare board as well as natural healthcare :)

elfgirl
July 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'm a violinist, so I keep my nails very short. As far as skincare goes, I don't mousturise as often as I should (I'm working on doing it more again :) ), but I generally use tea tree oil if there's acne issues, wash with natural soaps, and keep my skin as happy as I can. Hair is a regular, of course ^_^ :p

lechatn0ir
July 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Lol i care about my hair and my skin mostly. They all grow extremely fast.

Hiriel
July 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Benign neglect works as well for my skin as for my hair, yes ;)

ravenreed
July 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, my skin is as finicky as my hair. I do what I can to make it happy.

earthnut
July 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I spend about as much time on my hair as my skin. Not much time at all. :tongue:

Natalia
July 10th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I spend many times more effort on my skin than on my hair but i have problems that require it. nails im trying to pay more attention to but i have to remind myself, i need to be better about keeping them polished even if only in clear. honesty as much as i adore my hair it actually requires the least attention.

missdelarocha
July 11th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I go through a roundabout of phases, at the moment I'm not obsessing about the hair as much, benign neglect and a bit of end lightening where my black hair dye was which probably ain't helping.

I'm all obsessed with having a cool manicure at the moment.

I like anything fiddly that I can do really.

I'm fairly lucky with my face skin as I don't have pimple problems, use a bit of goat milk soap on it in the shower and moisturise when needed.

I don't think anybody in our family has some sort of body skin routine, I try to but it isn't a habit yet.

Rose Petal
July 11th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Skin gets about the same as hair I guess. Wash face twice a day (second to remove makeup and I never stint on this otherwise it's instant breakout), moisturise once a day, toner if I am wearing makeup (which now I have more work is back to about five days a week). Scrub face once a week. Sunscreen, hat and parasol fanatic. Should probably scrub and moisterise the rest of the body more often. Wax rather than shave, for better and longer lasting results, but only get fanatic about keeping up with it in summer (especially armpits). Get eyelashes tinted (so worth it!). Nails, well, sometimes they look nice. Hardly ever wear polish but buff them occasionally. They do tear easily though, sometimes because they get a chip, and I don't buff in time, and sometimes, bad I know, I tear them 'cause I'm bored.
Hair is mostly wash, condition, bit of leave in conditioner, a mask or treatment of some kind about once a month I guess, mostly for fun and something different to do. Sand D once every couple of months.

woolyleprechaun
July 11th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Naaaaaah. My nails are short and unpainted always, and I barely even wash my face, let alone give it treatments. It has a splash of plain water twice daily, and my body gets a daily soaping with whatevers in the shower at the time.
I have oily, problem skin that absolutely detests attention of any kind. Its a benign neglect job for me :D
I can grow my nails very long and strong, but I find them an inconvenience.

Bopoluchi
July 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM
benign neglect all round for me, although i'm not remotely interested in my nails so long as they're short and clean.

after years of fiddling around, i've found that my dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin thrives when i leave it alone, nothing, no moisturiser or cleanser or anything. its been fantastic for my acne, surprisingly. occasionally when i get the fancy i'll smother it with honey. and on the rare occasion that i wear make-up i'll remove it with oil. but thats it really. best skin regime ever.

i'm on a NW/SO routine with my hair which rocks. my hair and scalp are a little dry at the moment so i've been applying oil as needed. i've been keeping my hair in a french braid for as many days as it lasts, putting it up for the day and letting the braid down at night, and that's been a fun experiment in minimal handling.

yeah so basically benign neglect all round, but i spend a bit of time on my hair (finger-combing, oiling, rebraiding etc every couple of days) compared with practically nothing on my skin and nails.

Amber_Maiden
July 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM
With my skin, yes- especially my face. My nails, not so much.

sakuraemily
July 11th, 2012, 06:36 AM
It goes in phases. From the past few days i'v been obsessively caring for my hair and have tried not to neglect my skin. For 2 months before that it was the reverse.

vamq
July 11th, 2012, 06:38 AM
To be quite honest, I think I put less effort in my haircare than in my skincare, especially my face. I have a acne-prone skin and on bad days I look like a pizza, ugh.:eek:

My nails however, I couldn't care less. I work at a butchery, so long, fancy nails aren't allowed anyway;)

velvetvenus
July 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Skin-yes definitely. Prevention is better than cure so I've started young as I don't want to have to take drastic measures later on...

joflakes
July 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM
In a word, no.
My body I wash in the shower and occasionally moisturise.
My face I use vitamin E face wipes and an SPF 15 moisturiser on morning and night. I rarely use a face mask...even though I have a swanky Dead Sea one that was very expensive! :o

Zesty
July 11th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Yes, I'm just not as vain about it, so I don't think about it as much. My nails are kept long and filed into a nice shape, and I make sure to moisturize my cuticles. My feet probably get even more attention than my hair, with daily or near daily foot soaks and scrubs with the pumice stone (and I'm also careful to not let them get dirty), because if I don't they start peeling and stuff. My skin is dry and requires either minimal intervention (I stretch washing my skin as well as my hair) or lots of moisture. I just like to do things with my hair more, and I like that from my hair I get progress from the maintenance, whereas with other things it's just maintenance.

alyanna
July 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Not really. My hair is kind of problematic, and not my nicest "feature", so it needs extra care.

My fingernails are naturally beautiful (I'll claim that!), so I don't need to do anything to them. They grow quickly, are bright white and naturally look like they've been filed. People always think I've got fake nails. I do file them occasionally and love nail polish, so I'll indulge in that when I'm not too busy and for special occasions.

On the other hand, my toes and toenails are horrible. Just horrible. I should take better care of them, and I do try, but sometimes I can't be bothered.

My skin is often neglected as well, but I do try to regularly wash with a light product and moisturize before bed. I try to moisturize after showering too, but that doesn't always happen.

Curly Hermione
July 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think i'm as meticulous with my nails and skin. Don't get me wrong, I take care of them, but in a much simpler way. I use minimal makeup, and cleanse tone and moisturise every night with some good, skin friendly, not full of rubbish products. I exfoliate about every other day, and maybe do some steaming/facials every few weeks. (Although i've not had time to do that recently, consequently my skin is a disaster zone right now, needing some TLC).
As for nails, I don't paint them very often, I file them regularly, that's about it. I actually get lots of compliments on how long and healthy they are, so that seems to work well. and for the rest of me, it's shower gel and lotion once a day. Seems to be working out ok, but not as complicated as my hair! :)

RubyTuesday
August 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM
I have always paid more attention to my skin until recently and now I really take care of my hair and have stopped using sulfates and cones and use leave in conditioners and coconut oil etc.

I have tried all sorts on my face over the years and have come to realise that creams don't do a huge amount. The main things is sun protection and some kind of retinol to counter wrinkles and age spots. I now always use spf during the day. I live in grey England so sometimes only use spf20 but in summer I switch to spf 50. Clinique City block is great because it has a bit of shimmer and colour and looks like you are wearing a primer or illuminating foundation - people often comment on my skin when I wear it.

At night I use Retin A 0.5% about 4 or 5 times a week and the nights when i don't use it I use an oil (Rosehip, Argan, Jojoba etc) or an Oil of Evening Primrose night cream that I found and love and is super cheap!

I wash my face in the shower in the morning with a cucumber face wash and normally use Olay eye cream. I always wash my face at the end of the day too and take off any make up I might be wearing. Nivea is good for taking off make up, as is baby lotion. I body moisturise about once a week with whatever I have. I love Palmers Cocoa Butter - smells divine!

My nails are a mess though. I have bitten them all my life and every time I stop it never lasts. I used to wear fake nails a lot when I went out but I have stopped bothering these days. Oh the shame.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM
No, I don't put anything on my skin except soap and water. I rarely wear make up either. My hair gets much more attention!

millyaulait
August 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM
No, I try to keep my skincare super simple.

I just use a AHA moisturiser, wash with water + muslin cloth, remove makeup with micellar water.

PinkyCat
August 21st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Yes absolutely.
It has taken me just as long to figure out what to do with my oily, moody skin as it has with my curly moody hair.

And may I say they both look dayum good. Hard work, trial and error, no luck about it.

Go. Me. :cookie:

DinaAG
August 21st, 2012, 07:52 AM
i neglect my skin and obsessed with my hair :(

Dang3rousB3auty
August 21st, 2012, 07:53 AM
In my opinion my skin is so much more important to me then my hair is. I can chop off my hair and restart growing it out if i had to, but my skin is not so lucky. My facial skin is especially important for me because that is what I have to look at and everyone else does. I can't hide it like I could hair. If I had to choose between hair or skin I would choose skin every time. I don't use tons of products on my skin..honey, baking soda, rose water, jojoba oil and aloe vera. I used to kind of be obsessed about trying out every new product on my skin that was organic/natural, but since then I have figured out my skin likes simple and easy.

My body usually gets a wash, scrub occasionally and I always always moisturize. I went through this phase when I was younger where my skin on my legs was so damn itchy, that I would literally claw at my legs in my sleep. I would wake up with bloody legs and it was not pretty. As soon as I started using lotion on my legs the itchy went away. So I don't skip it! I usually use oils to moisturize, but I really want to try toadstool's body butter as soon as I run out of the stuff I already have.

My nails I don't really like. I rarely paint them because they just chip in a day. They like to peel a lot and my nail beds are so small I can't really have long nails. When I have used a nail oil or butter in the past consistently my nails have been much stronger, but i usually forget. My toe nails, I usually always have them painted. The color stays for weeks, and I don't really like the look of my bare toes.

Amygirl8
August 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
I care about my hair a LOT.
I know next to nothing about skin care, and I've given up on my nails because I have a habit of picking at them and whatnot.

Kilandra
August 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty particular about both hair and skin care (not as much on the nails). I use coconut oil as an all over moisturizer, jojoba oil on my face and I use a natural deodorant. For hair, I C/O wash daily and wash with shampoo twice a week, no blowfryers and use wooden combs.

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM
Well I take good care of my hair, and that influences my nails a lot. When I used to shampoo and condition as normal my nails grew very slowly and were flaky and weak - since starting to CO my nails are strong and grow so so fast. CO was all that changed so im thinking maybe the SLS in my shampoos was effecting my nails. However I work with farm animals so I cut my nails all the time anyway.

With my skin I try to us as many natural products as possible to replace 'conventional' (as i also do with my hair). I use honey to wash and aloe vera gel and oils to moisturise. The only makeup I wear is a tinted moisturiser with sunscreen in it

That's interesting... I wonder if my shampooing has anything to do with my nails being as thin as paper and peeling? I only shampoo like once every week and a half, but perhaps it's still making an effect?

I find it harder to grow nails also because you can't put them up out of your way like you can hair. Everything you do and touch, they touch it too and get chipped and scuffed and bent and abused.

I try to take care of my skin but basically with healthy neglect, the way I do my hair. I use St. Ives Apricot scrub every few days and try to extract whiteheads whenever i see any forming. My skin is pretty good.

CaitlinMarie93
August 22nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I really just focus on my haircare. Of course I want nice skin and nice nails but for me, haircare is number one and probably always will be. But at the same time, I do not neglect my skin and nails. Most of my time and energy is put into my hair!

spookyghost
August 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Yes I am! I do meticulous steps to my skin in the am and pm. I have been mistaken for being 20 years younger than I am but I have always taken good care of my skin. My hair and my skin get special attention!;)

victorian girl
March 4th, 2018, 04:49 AM
My skin gets more attention than anything, definitely - especially now when I'm not wearing make-up anymore (got a bit tired and frustrated with it lately). Also, it's more of a benign neglect regimen, too. With my hair I understood, that most convenient thing for me is to find a couple of affordable, quick and easy to use products and techniques that suit me well and stick to it - now I'm trying to do the same with my face. Mild soap, rose water, a good moisturizer, some almond oil for occasional massages, a spot treatment and something to exfoliate once in a while, some occasional treat like a serum or a mask (a teaspoon of honey is enough) - that's it. And keeping it natural - it just makes me feel more relaxed, and the products smell so nice! When I feel lazy, I can always survive on soap and water, though - these are the staples. As for my hands, I try to keep them well-moisturized in winter and my nails short and clean, nothing fancy.

hayheadsbird
March 4th, 2018, 06:01 AM
I use a pretty much j&k product based skin care routine. So low pH cleanser, lots of layers of light moisturisers, and a high protection sun screen. I don't bother with make up much though!

Milady_DeWinter
March 4th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Nop, just basic care of nails and skin for me :)

Margarita
March 4th, 2018, 06:31 AM
I actually care my hair way more, ofcourse i also love my skin and i care about, however i do not do any harmful things such as smoking to destroy my skin :)

nycelle
March 4th, 2018, 07:31 AM
I care for my skin more. It tends to be on the dry side, so keeping it supple and protecting it from the elements is very important to me.

With my hair, as long as it continues to grow I'm fine.

Dendra
March 4th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I'm way more into haircare. I use extremely basic cheap moisturiser for my face and body. I do body brush before showers, and I use mineral oil over my moisturiser most of the time but that's it.

My skin doesn't need a lot of help. My hair's way more delicate!

Caraid♫
March 4th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I think I'm the most into haircare of the three, but I have recently being caring for my skin a little more. And for nails, I don't do a single special thing to take of them, I never even think of them for some reason!
For skin, I use a generic brand cleanser, I use a retinol cream at night ( I was skeptical about the usefulness of one since they are a bit pricey, but my complexion honestly noticeably better than before. The one I use is 20$ and lasts a few months so not too bad) and generic moisturizer for day. To exfoliate, I'll occasionally make a scrub out of coconut oil and coffee grounds! And I try to remember sunscreen, maybe not always in the winter though :)

Hair is the funnest to take care of I think because doing different things can really wield noticeable results! Also the process of being able to see its' growth is half the fun!

chomsky
March 4th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Yes I'm very much into skin care! I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has a family full of clear, supple skin (I was the first in my family to have spots on the regular as a teen and my mum got her first spot at 36), and I don't want to test it. We grey very early in my family (mid teens onward) but we look young! :lol: It doesn't need any help when I just ignore it though, I'm very grateful for my skin type.

I've got a nice simple 3-step regime: cleanse, tone, oil. My body is cleane, exfoliate, moisturise. My skin leans towards preferring natural products over commercial ones, for example, ditching moisturiser for oil. I hope to include more natural products, and diys on mask days, as my others run out to see how that goes.

QuoteTheCrow
March 4th, 2018, 12:04 PM
I find that the more I ignore my hair, the better it does. That's not the same for skincare, though!

I just placed an order through Rodan + Fields. I've never tried a fancy skincare program, but the older I get, the more sensitive my skin is getting. It's painful in the winter when the air is cool, and then we luck out and get some sunshine and it's painful from that, too!

I think it's probably eczema, but I'm not sure. It took me seven months to finally get up the courage to order the expensive skincare - I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on my face.

I guess I'm glad my hair just likes the occasional oil and some nice shampoo/conditioner every now and then!

wannabe-rusalka
March 4th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I am more meticulous about my skincare than my haircare! Hair is easy- if it doesn't look good you can just throw it up and hide it but I don't wear makeup really so I can't do the same with my face. My skincare routine is really simple though.

I only layer on some moisturizer in the morning and moisturizer and oil at night. I can't really have fun with it too much or try fun or pretty smelling products either since I get an awful bright red eczema rash under my nose, around my mouth, and on my cheeks if I do. I looks like I have cystic acne when this happens but nope its just good old eczema. The same thing happens when I forget to moisturize in the morning or the night or even when my skin just gets too dry from being outside.

Otherwise, my skin is completely clear. I only get the occasional pimple along my jaw where you can't see it during that time of the month. Everyone in my family is blessed with really good skin in general- just very sensitive skin.

wispe
March 4th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I have (severe, lifelong) eczema and sensitive skin so skincare is actually top priority to me, even over hair. I can benign neglect my hair care, but I can't with my body. In fact, I half classify hair care as an extension of my skin care routine, since all my hair products/methods/tools etc have to be non-irritating to my scalp and whatever skin they touch. I do go through phases of being more enthused about skin or hair care over the other, but again, everything I do has to agree with my skin. I can't switch up part of my skincare routine at the same time as I switch up part of my hair care routine, since if I react to something I wouldn't be able to tell which product it was. Last time I (did that and) wasn't able to identify the irritant quick enough, my eczema had flared up on my scalp and I couldn't calm it before some hair loss occurred (oh, and it left burns on my face that took months to heal). It was a tough lesson to learn!

QuoteTheCrow
March 4th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I have (severe, lifelong) eczema and sensitive skin so skincare is actually top priority to me, even over hair. I can benign neglect my hair care, but I can't with my body. In fact, I half classify hair care as an extension of my skin care routine, since all my hair products/methods/tools etc have to be non-irritating to my scalp and whatever skin they touch. I do go through phases of being more enthused about skin or hair care over the other, but again, everything I do has to agree with my skin. I can't switch up part of my skincare routine at the same time as I switch up part of my hair care routine, since if I react to something I wouldn't be able to tell which product it was. Last time I (did that and) wasn't able to identify the irritant quick enough, my eczema had flared up on my scalp and I couldn't calm it before some hair loss occurred (oh, and it left burns on my face that took months to heal). It was a tough lesson to learn!

Hello, wispe! I've never suffered quite as much as I have this year with painful skin. I don't have any visible marks, but my skin (particularly around my mouth and chin) often feels very angry and sore.

Have you found a product that works and lasts all day?

I am a teacher: I don't wear much makeup, but I'm never really in a position to go reapply lotion during the day. I've heard oatmeal lotion is recommended, but other than Aveeno, I can't find another lotion specifically for the face. If you had an over the counter recommendation, I'd love to try it out! Thanks, and best of luck to you!

lithostoic
March 4th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I'm not meticulous with either lol. I just do what feels right. I do try to lotion my face and hands every day though, since my skin is so dry.

Antrax23
March 4th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Now I care more for my skin, I used to ignore it and it ended up pretty bad, break outs and dry patches all over, so I make sure to keep it happy now, I have very sensitive skin too.

QuoteTheCrow
March 4th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Ahhh!

The ad in the upper right corner of my page has now changed from an online clothing retailer to a skincare ad - that always creeps me out! :couch:

Aredhel
March 4th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I care quite a decent amount for my skin. About as much as I do with my hair (which is not too much honestly). :) I used to have insanely terrible skin when I was a teenager who only indulged in junk food... where my face/arms/back/chest would be covered in cysts and pimples constantly. Thankfully I grew out of that, but perhaps along with hormones stabilizing, it may have a lot to do with my vastly improved diet, physical activity and the copious amounts of water that I drink now. :)

Aside from my diet, the only thing I do differently now is I cleanse, moisturize and tone twice a day... all with oil-free products, since my skin is naturally very oily to begin with, and I also have eyelash extensions which can't come into contact with any oil. I used to wear a lot of thick foundation and heavy makeup, but lately I've only been relying on Dr. Jart BB creams (their products are amazing for my sensitive skin) only when I go out, as well as a tiny bit of eyeshadow. My skin has really been agreeing with the "less is more" approach. ;)

lapushka
March 4th, 2018, 03:33 PM
ATM, I'm using a hyaluronic acid (HA) underneath my moisturizer(s) day & night.

My face gets washed with plain water when I get up. Then I use a HA dropper bottle, then a moisturizer with HA, then my Nivea.

At night, no wash. Just a moisturizer with HA, a second moisturizer with HA, and my Nivea.

It's working great for me! I've been doing this for over 3 months now. All skincare, except my Nivea from Aldi & Lidl. Yes they have moisturizers with HA there!

wispe
March 4th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Hello, wispe! I've never suffered quite as much as I have this year with painful skin. I don't have any visible marks, but my skin (particularly around my mouth and chin) often feels very angry and sore.

Have you found a product that works and lasts all day?

I am a teacher: I don't wear much makeup, but I'm never really in a position to go reapply lotion during the day. I've heard oatmeal lotion is recommended, but other than Aveeno, I can't find another lotion specifically for the face. If you had an over the counter recommendation, I'd love to try it out! Thanks, and best of luck to you!

I am not much of a makeup wearer either; am a pale girl tired of turning orange while using the lightest shade of any foundation or bbcream. Any makeup I wear is usually just on my eyes and brows. I also am not usually acne prone (just hormonal acne on my jawline or cheeks on occasion, though I haven't had any new acne since tweaking my routine this past 2 months). Unfortunately when I was trying to treat that burn on my face I started out using products that were too heavy for my skin (usually my face is balanced/normal while my body is dry), so I broke out like crazy and ended up on a bare-bones routine of CeraVe Hydrating cleanser in the mornings, stridex on my acne, CeraVe Healing Ointment on my burn. My skin was too sore for much else. If you can stand the feeling (which, I hate normally but with such irritated skin it was a lifesaver). I would rinse my face and slap a whole layer of that ointment on it at nighttime and feel like a total slug, but I swear it was like night and day how fast things improved after that.

Now I follow reddit's r/skincareaddiction and r/asianbeauty and use a mix of their methods/routine order on my face now. Here's my current routine (I know it seems like a lot, but it takes like 5 minutes of my day to slap stuff on and I think of it as treating/pampering myself so it's like, something I actually look forward to every day. LOL) I do switch things up or leave out steps occasionally if I don't feel like I need them that day (say, leave out my actives step or double up on my moisturizing steps, etc)

AM: Wash with water or with CeraVe Hydrating cleanser, pat dry. Then, in this order: CosRX Galactomyces 95 essence (was just renamed from 'whitening power' to 'tone balancing' I believe), CosRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power essence, First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer, Eucerin Daily Protection Face Lotion SPF 30

PM: SoftyMo Speedy Cleansing Oil (to remove sunscreen and any makeup), CeraVe Hydrating cleanser, pat dry. Then either Stridex pads or Pixi Glow Tonic (usually, alternating days), and wait ~15 minutes for that to soak in and dry down. Then, again: CosRX Galactomyces 95 essence, CosRX Snail 96 essence, CosRX Honey Ceramide Full Moisture Cream. (and if I'm feeling dry lately, a thin layer of Cerave Healing Ointment. Again, I hate how this feels but it's a lifesaver for me)

I occasionally use Skin Food black sugar wash-off mask while I'm in the shower (like 1-3x every 2 weeks) and sometimes I use a konjac sponge with my CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, very occasionally I pick up a sheet mask in like, aloe or green tea varieties to use but usually I'm too lazy for that.

I used to just use the Eucerin lotion with spf as my morning moisturizer but it wasn't enough moisture for me, so I added a moisturizer underneath. Was originally using the CosRX cream but it's a bit too tacky under the spf, so the FAB face moisturizer is a new (this week) addition that's been working really well for me, and I would recommend it thus far. A tad pricier than I prefer but not terrible. I don't usually reapply any moisturizer during the day, only the sunscreen if I'm outside for extended periods. First Aid Beauty also has an ultra repair cream, an oatmeal mask, are pretty non-irritating etc. I found them at Ulta or on Amazon but I think they're also at Sephora? I'll probably be trying the Ultra Repair Cream next winter, since the face moisturizer is pretty lightweight and the sample of the cream I tried at Ulta was nice! CeraVe has some good lotions that are great for my body but every CeraVe product I've tried on my face (PM, lotion, cream) has caused acne, so I don't use them on my face any more. Vanicream and Eucerin tend to be pretty good, non-irritating options for me, Cetaphil is another option recommended by my dermatologist but I find they feel a bit silicone heavy on my skin. I also (obviously lol) like CosRX, which is a Korean brand. I also have some gold bond and TriDerma eczema/soothing oatmeal type lotions in my stash (the triderma even says for face too) but I've only ever used them on my body where my eczema is (it's not usually on my face).

Cool so that was really long but hopefully some form of helpful.

Wendyp
March 4th, 2018, 06:36 PM
oh absolutley! At 53 i feel probably 35 and i want to look like i feel. I think its paid off. I think i got the skin care thing figured out much quick than the hair thing. Skin care is rather straight forward, hair can be tricky, there are so many variables with hair.

Glitch
March 4th, 2018, 07:53 PM
I care a lot more about my skin than my hair. I've always had sensitive skin issues and it was a massive insecurity for so long, whereas I always had the option of easily frying the hair and it appearing healthy. Only now is my skin finally clear (it's been almost a year) and even has a healthy glow -I really never want to experience the past in that sense again so there's not a day I can go without caring a lot for it :rant:
While I do still love my hair, I'm not sure it'll ever get the same level of princess treatment :p

cathair
March 4th, 2018, 10:00 PM
No. My skin is really dry because I can't stand getting goop on my hair. It's something I need to work on.

shaluwm_agape
March 5th, 2018, 01:31 AM
ever since I went no makeup everything else followed and now that I am bare faced all the time I needed to really focus on my skin. I wasn't being as good as I could have been but I do feel that skin, hair, brows, lashes and nails are all just mixed in one big pot. I cant do one without the others

Stray_mind
March 5th, 2018, 04:19 AM
I use benign neglect both for my skin and hair. I don't use too much product on my skin, just wash it in the morning and put on a light layer of moisturizing cream. I feel like having too much products on your hair and skin weighs it down...

I try to keep my body healthy from within, by making sure it gets enough water and all the nutrients it needs.

Hairkay
March 5th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I've had to have good skin care regime since childhood due to eczema and allergies. My skin is a bigger priority than my hair. As soon as I have a bath/shower (ten minutes is the recommended limit by docs) I pat dry and put moisturising cream on from head to foot. The driest most vulnerable parts like my face and hands get top up cream at intervals throughout the day. I also need to avoid allergens.

Ophidian
March 5th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Not at all. My skin seems to do best when I mostly ignore it, just washing my face with water and following up with a little oil (I've been liking rosehip a lot lately). On the rare occasion I wear makeup or my face feels really grimy I'll do a heavier oil cleanse, or if I feel like exfoliating I'll use a homemade clay scrub but that's it. I'm almost entirely WO on the rest of my body. I use soap as needed, but it makes my skin feel dry and irritated if I use it all over so I go as mild as possible and use as little as possible. After bathing I use a lot of avocado oil all over because I overly enjoy my hot showers and long baths, and my skin doesn't appreciate it so much. I feel like what my hair and skin prefer aren't all that different really, but I put a lot more effort into protecting my hair.

Mandyk
March 5th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Yes, I'm actually more obsessed with my skincare than I am with hair care. I was moderately careful with my hair (washing only 2-3 times a week, lots of leave ins, sleeping in a braid, using a tshirt instead of towel, etc) since high school, but it's only this year that I started researching and paying attention to ingredients and trying to establish a hair care routine.

I've kept a twice a day full skincare routine for going on 2 years now. I do an Asian beauty focused routine. I do about 8-10 steps in my night routine, including double cleansing, with 6-8 of the steps being Korean or Japanese brands.

I am paranoid about only using second cleansers with a pH appropriate for skin. I wear sunscreen every day. I used to have a Curology subscription, but this year I switched to ordering my tret and Clindamycin from India since it's much cheaper. I'm pretty good about patch testing and only introducing one new product at a time and testing it for 1-2 weeks before adding something else (unlike with my hair).

I frequent r/asianbeauty and enjoy reading science focused articles on skin care. I check ingredients in most products (I'm bad about not checking ingredients in luxury brands like Sulwhasoo or History of Whoo). I know ingredients that my face likes, and aim to include multiple steps that feature those ingredients.

It's actually my obsession with my skincare routine that caused me to branch out to more thorough hair care. It seemed like the next logical step.

Mandyk
March 5th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I think I'm the most into haircare of the three, but I have recently being caring for my skin a little more. And for nails, I don't do a single special thing to take of them, I never even think of them for some reason!
For skin, I use a generic brand cleanser, I use a retinol cream at night ( I was skeptical about the usefulness of one since they are a bit pricey, but my complexion honestly noticeably better than before. The one I use is 20$ and lasts a few months so not too bad) and generic moisturizer for day. To exfoliate, I'll occasionally make a scrub out of coconut oil and coffee grounds! And I try to remember sunscreen, maybe not always in the winter though :)

Hair is the funnest to take care of I think because doing different things can really wield noticeable results! Also the process of being able to see its' growth is half the fun!

Just in case you don't already know, retinols increase photosensitivity, so make sure you are wearing sunscreen daily. If you need suggestions for good ones for your face, I enjoy the Biore Uv Perfect Face Milks (I've tried and liked both the white bottle and pink bottle) and Missha All Around Safe Block Essence Sun (pink tube).

You might also want to consider using sugar instead of coffee grounds in your face scrub. Sugar is gentler because it will dissolve. while coffee grounds are more jagged and will not dissolve and will cause more micro tears in your skin. I'm not a fan of physical exfoliation personally, but I know some people like the polished feeling. But the general consensus among skincare junkies is you should only use dissolving materials (so no St. Ives Apricot Scrub or coffee grounds or the like) on the sensitive skin on your face neck and decollete.

RedStripe
March 5th, 2018, 01:11 PM
I have a long history with skin care because when I was younger I had fairly bad acne that was very persistent, and for a long time various strategies including those prescribed by dermatologists did not do much good. When they came out with benzoyl peroxide products, that was my salvation -- only thing that ever helped get rid of my acne. In conjunction with that, I worked out a system of keeping my skin clean and not-too-oily. This included cleansers that were effective but relatively mild, and also staying strictly with "non-comedomic" options for anything that would I would put on my face, such as makeup or moisturizers.

I also started using moisturizers with sunscreen pretty much as soon as they hit the market. (This was because my nose used to get really sunburned in the summer, even if I only spent a little bit of time outdoors, so I always had to put sunscreen on it anyway.) That has been helpful in staving off the aging process -- i think that protecting your skin from the sun is one of the most important parts of caring for it.

Now that my skin is starting to show its age, I've been diving into the world of obsessive skin care again. I've found a serum I like with hyaluronic acid and vitamins C and E, and I've been experimenting with retinol creams, although I haven't picked a favorite. And of course there's always eye cream.

AutobotsAttack
March 5th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I don’t have a choice but to keep an extremely bare and simple skin care routine.

I have eczema. And the weather/products are what tend to trigger a flare up. Sometimes bathing too often does it too.

It’ll start with just skin sensations. Ones that make me think I’m losing my mind because they feel like something is creeping and crawling across small, but multiple sections of my skin. Anywhere from the backs of my ears, to my stomach, to sides of my legs. And they will be persistent until I bathe whatever the irritant is completely off. Then it’ll slowly progress to itching. It’s persistent, and will grow and grow until I’m scratching off my skin trying to find relief. This happens with products. Sometimes the non scented stuff will do it to, and it was like I playing rushing roulette when I went to by something for my skin.

If it’s due to mostly dry weather, the same thing happens, and my skin will try to over produce oil to compensate leading to a vicious cycle.

So I bathe every other day (the days where I’m not training for sports and I don’t sweat I’ll just towel blot the important lady areas clean and apply a small amount of butter/cream. On the days where I train I shower. I use African Shea butter or coconut oil broken down with a bit of white wine vinegar, and mix it with a small bit of Dove soap that’s been diluted. Just enough so that it suds. I use quite a bit of it sense it isn’t a super leathery soap, but my skin feels very very nice.

The real MVP, is Shea butter or coconut oil. Before I started using Shea butter I mainly used cold pressed coconut oil. After getting out of the shower I pour some coconut oil over my skin while it’s still dripping wet, and then dry with a towel. The oil seal in all the moisture, and it’s enough to keep me moisturizer without too much product. No scents, no irritants, and creates a barrier to all the irritants brought on by the weather.

I don’t wear makeup anymore, and I mostly break out due to my hormones( mainly when my period begins to start). It’s not too bad, but it’s just apart of being young. I also cleanse my face with the same soap I mentioned earlier and use Shea Moisture or coconut oil. I just have to cleanse my face twice a day since I sweat a lot. I don’t use deodorant, I use a paste mix of baking soda and Shea butter. Works pretty well on my training days. Deodorant irritates my skin as well.

I really do like fancy and good smelling products. They smell amazing, and my favorite brands always come up with new things when I see them in stores, but I just can use them. Most I can use is hand lotion. That’s it.

I’m glad this has worked for a while because when I was younger, all up until Highschool I struggled so much with my eczema and thought this would just repeat itself every year. All the doctor prescribed steroids and creams, and high end products scented or non scented just didn’t work. It was the technique that was the most important. And it’s allowed me to simplify everything and so far I haven’t had a bad flare up in about a year. Wanting to see how long I can go.

Sorry for the ramble. But my skin care is even more simplified than my hair care.

Caraid♫
March 5th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Just in case you don't already know, retinols increase photosensitivity, so make sure you are wearing sunscreen daily. If you need suggestions for good ones for your face, I enjoy the Biore Uv Perfect Face Milks (I've tried and liked both the white bottle and pink bottle) and Missha All Around Safe Block Essence Sun (pink tube).

You might also want to consider using sugar instead of coffee grounds in your face scrub. Sugar is gentler because it will dissolve. while coffee grounds are more jagged and will not dissolve and will cause more micro tears in your skin. I'm not a fan of physical exfoliation personally, but I know some people like the polished feeling. But the general consensus among skincare junkies is you should only use dissolving materials (so no St. Ives Apricot Scrub or coffee grounds or the like) on the sensitive skin on your face neck and decollete.

hmm I 'll to reconsider the coffee grounds :hmm: I like the way my skin looks after using them but I obviously don't want to be causing inadvertent harm! I've tried sugar and I dont like they way it feels for some reason but maybe I could give it another shot. I only exfoliate every 1 or 2 weeks

I have heard the increased photosensitivity- part of why I'm lax with the spf is because I hate the one I currently have (makes my eyes water!!) so thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try one out!

Mandyk
March 5th, 2018, 04:14 PM
hmm I 'll to reconsider the coffee grounds :hmm: I like the way my skin looks after using them but I obviously don't want to be causing inadvertent harm! I've tried sugar and I dont like they way it feels for some reason but maybe I could give it another shot. I only exfoliate every 1 or 2 weeks

I have heard the increased photosensitivity- part of why I'm lax with the spf is because I hate the one I currently have (makes my eyes water!!) so thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try one out!

Using a Konjac sponge can be another good option for a gentle physical exfoliate. Or those silk finger cocoons. Or you can Google other gentle physical exfoliate options. Or continue to use the coffee grounds but super super gently. If you baby you skin after and only do it a couple times a month, it probably won't cause much harm.

I don't have an issue with eye irritation, but I've seen threads on r/asianbeauty for suggestions for people who do. Can't recall any off the top of my head though. You could probably Google it though.

I always avoided sunscreen when I was younger because they always seemed so heavy/greasy/pore clogging. But I find that Asian sunscreens I've tried feel a lot nicer on and have a nice finish that plays well with my makeup. I'm sure there are western sunscreens that are also good, but they are probably a lot more expensive than the Asian brands I use (which are around $7 or so).

nycelle
March 5th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Exfoliating is one of the best things I can do for my dry skin. It leaves it softer, smoother, and gets rid of the dullness the dead skin causes. I do it twice a week on my face, and every day when I shower for my body. I very gently use those mesh, bath sponges on my face without any kind of facial cleanser or other scrub. It's enough to exfoliate on it's own.

Mandyk
March 5th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Exfoliating is one of the best things I can do for my dry skin. It leaves it softer, smoother, and gets rid of the dullness the dead skin causes. I do it twice a week on my face, and every day when I shower for my body. I very gently use those mesh, bath sponges on my face without any kind of facial cleanser or other scrub. It's enough to exfoliate on it's own.

Lots of people need gentle physical exfoliation to gently lift off the flakies and such. The mesh bath sponge is also a good suggestion for a gentle physical exfoliation.

Oh, I almost forgot I also gently shave my face with a fresh clean men's razor 1-2 times a month. That's also a gentle physical exfoliation, and I can't wax due to the tret, so it helps with my lady 'stache (thanks dark hair genes), and removes the baby fine cheek hairs for a smoother feel and smoother makeup application. (Contrary to some popular belief, shaving doesn't cause hair to grow back thinker or darker and when I go a few months between shaves I notice no difference in hair growth)

littlestarface
March 5th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Yea I actually take and put more attention on my skin everything from feet to face more so than my hair but I pay attention to both.

Ligeia Noire
March 6th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Not even close. I do apply a moisturizer every time I shave which is like once a month. I am trying to drink more water and apply a face and neck spf/moisturizer every day which I have been succeeding so far but exfoliating and putting lotion on my body I, very rarely do. :S

lapushka
March 6th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Here lotion only goes on my legs, not my arms or body. I use glycerine and almond oil/olive oil soaps that are very moisturizing and barely need lotion, but on my legs I do (dryer).

I use several moisturizers on my face when I get up, and at night.

gustavonut
October 23rd, 2018, 04:32 AM
The only thing I do currently is wash my face with garnier cleaner, BB cream, and maybe a powder foundation to “set it”.

illicitlizard
October 23rd, 2018, 04:54 AM
I'm obsessive and inconsistent with both hair and skincare :P

My skin probably gets more love though, hair I kinda ignore mostly. Skin is so PICKY I have to be conscious of what I put on it or I'll break out. I only just found a body wash/soap alternative that doesn't make my skin itch and I'm 22 lol. I do try and keep skincare simple though, right now I 'only' cleanse, tone, moisturise and occasionally chemically exfoliate. I should wear sunscreen more often too tbh, I'm gonna age so quickly haha.

StylishConfetti
October 23rd, 2018, 05:28 PM
I do WAY more for my skin than my hair. I guess I feel less "attached" to my hair because it grows out. 2x a day I use cleanser, toner, chemical exfoliant, retinol, and moisturizer (with SPF during the day and an eye gel at night). That being said, I'm not trying to achieve great length with my hair, so I'm not so concerned about its health, and am pretty low-maintenance with its care. (And I'm lucky my hair is easy and basically does what I tell it to.) For body skin I do very little, I shave every other day and use lotion after shaving, and I wear sunscreen when I leave the house. Ok, so maybe that's not "very little", ha! I guess I'm a beauty junkie!!

curlily
October 23rd, 2018, 09:02 PM
Lots of people need gentle physical exfoliation to gently lift off the flakies and such. The mesh bath sponge is also a good suggestion for a gentle physical exfoliation.

Oh, I almost forgot I also gently shave my face with a fresh clean men's razor 1-2 times a month. That's also a gentle physical exfoliation, and I can't wax due to the tret, so it helps with my lady 'stache (thanks dark hair genes), and removes the baby fine cheek hairs for a smoother feel and smoother makeup application. (Contrary to some popular belief, shaving doesn't cause hair to grow back thinker or darker and when I go a few months between shaves I notice no difference in hair growth)

Doesn't this make your peach fuzz feel prickly as it grows back?

Ylva
October 23rd, 2018, 09:11 PM
I got into serious skin care a bit over two years ago, I think. Then I went through some phases of taking really good care of my skin and other times I just washed and moisturised it and that was it. Now, for a good few months, I've stuck to a "complicated" skin care routine, and I have a feeling that's not going to change anymore.

My nails I couldn't really give two ****s about. Sure, it looks nice when they are done and all, but I appreciate practicality when it comes to my hands. Perhaps I'll bother with them again at some point, but I will definitely not grow them long!

Kat
October 23rd, 2018, 09:25 PM
Ohhhhh no. Unless you mean trying to stave off my dry hands in the winter as much as possible (success = they're not cracked and bleeding in multiple spots), I don't bother with really anything. Nothing I do for my skin will reduce the big ugly pores, make it less oily, or get rid of the seborrheic dermatitis that keeps it flaky and disgusting (well, living somewhere humid helped the last, though it made me oilier, but I have no control over where I live). It's the same no matter what i do to it, so why waste time or money.

(I have to exfoliate. Harshly. I have way too much extra-skin buildup from the SD otherwise and it's nice to get rid of it when I wash my hair (the shower when the skin softens enough to really remove it). (Yes I know people say being harsh to it makes SD worse. For me it's the same no matter what, so I might as well get rid of the icky crap once a week. And if I use something "gentle" it's like trying to strip paint with a cotton ball... I'd be there all day.)

My nails? No. They get cut when they get too long. (When I'm good about practicing guitar, they're down to almost the quick on my left hand or they get in the way of some chords.) It's pointless to bother with much more... my personal record is chipping my nail polish within an hour of applying it. I'm not gentle with my hands, nor do I want to have to be.

nycelle
October 24th, 2018, 06:46 AM
I've always been more concerned with skin on my face, but recently became obsessed when I had some kind of reaction (I think) to something and my face became extremely red, dry, and felt like it was gonna crack with every facial expression.

My usual moisturizers failed miserably, and I went through at least 5-6 new ones (drugstore and high end) before finding something that worked. My face still isn't back to normal, but it's much better.

kph12
October 24th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Absolutely! Equally obsessed with skin and nails I'd say. These are your natural features that you wear every day. Especially your skin! I protect my skin from harsh chemicals, elements, and wear and tear just the same as I do my hair.

elfynity
October 24th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I take meticulous care of my hair, skin and nails as well as what I put into my body and do with my body. Its a full package deal for me!

zashin66
October 24th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Naw. I'm a minimalist. Plain water to my face. Moisturize once in a while. I try to not touch my face too much. Don't really do the make up thing. Just mascara and eyebrow pencil when I do feel like dressing up a bit or for church. Most people guess me a few years younger than my 52 years. I think some of that is due to me having had my children later than the average mother. I was 38, almost 39, when DD came along and then just a month after hitting the big 40, my DS came along. They are 14 months apart. Still not too many wrinkles for my age. How ever DD just turned 13 and next summer DS turns 13 so we will see in 6 or 7 years just how many wrinkles they give me.:):gabigrin:
Nails will always be thin and as a nurse I have to keep them trim and short. So nothing to be fussy or meticulous about there.

Ylva
October 24th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Most people guess me a few years younger than my 52 years. I think some of that is due to me having had my children later than the average mother. I was 38, almost 39, when DD came along and then just a month after hitting the big 40, my DS came along.

Why do you think having children later affected your aging process? I find it fascinating and would love to hear more about your view. :)

Milady_DeWinter
October 24th, 2018, 02:18 PM
i barely remember that I've got a skin :p

I try to put cream every night in my face, and before the make up. I also clean so much my skin if I've used make up that day. And I try to remember to put lotion on my legs, as my body skin is pretty dry -my face is a mix of dry and normal, prone to eccemas but i haven't had any lately, just acne from estress some months ago.

No, I'm sure I treat my hair MUCH better :wacko: Anyway all the people seems to think that I'm at least 7-8 years younger than I am - I'm 32 now. Genetics, my mother looks at least 10 years younger than she is too.

lapushka
October 24th, 2018, 04:17 PM
No, I'm sure I treat my hair MUCH better :wacko: Anyway all the people seems to think that I'm at least 7-8 years younger than I am - I'm 32 now. Genetics, my mother looks at least 10 years younger than she is too.

You are kidding! I thought you were 26, tops! :shocked:

ArabellaRose
October 24th, 2018, 04:26 PM
My devotion to skincare wavers based on mood or if I've got a night out planned. I've found products that work for me (Naobay gel to milk cleanser, Boots microdermabrasion for exfoliator, and Revolution Rose Hip Gold Elixir oil for moisturiser). Like Lady Dewinter I'm very lucky in that I look younger than my age. I'm 31 and most people place me in my teens to early 20s.

It's just more fun looking after your hair, isn't it? :D

Milady_DeWinter
October 24th, 2018, 04:30 PM

LOL, see? I'll be 33 in April! I'm an adultz now :p

lapushka
October 24th, 2018, 04:42 PM
LOL, see? I'll be 33 in April! I'm an adultz now :p

:lol: You do look young though! Which is a good thing! :D

Milkchocolate
October 24th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Yes!! Just like hair needs moisture, skin needs moisture. Moisture is key! Head to toe, literally! I cant emphasize that enough!

sophia_
October 24th, 2018, 05:50 PM
In a way, yes. I used to spend a lot of money on skin care products, but I learned that they weren't doing anything for me. Now my skin is perfectly fine using only Cetaphil moisturizer and Dr. Bronner's bar soap.

Simsy
October 29th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Yes and no. Product wise, my hair gets way more. Between treatments and oils and actual care taken; my hair sees a lot more gentle care and attention.

Time-wise, on the other hand; skin wins. My face gets scrubbed clean every night, and I rarely use makeup or products on it. I sometimes use moisturiser; and I’m drinking a lot more water these days.

Joules
October 29th, 2018, 08:12 AM
My skincare routine is pretty minimalistic, but I think I can say I'm just as meticulous about it as I am about my hair. I wash and moisturize my face twice a day, without fail, I never ever sleep with my makeup on, and I always protect my skin from the sun. I'm lazy with masks, but I'm not a big believer in masks in general to be honest, I can use them when my skin needs extra pampering, but most of the time nice toner and moisturizer with hyaluronic acid are enough for me.

AshtangiPNW
October 29th, 2018, 10:30 AM

Haha! Me too, actually! I would have guessed 24, maybe.... :o :blossom:

As for my skin care, I have to be pretty careful. I seem to have pretty sensitive skin. I've just found that using micellar water followed by Cerave PM both morning and night and a physical sunscreen (in the AM) works best for me. I don't really change the routine now that I've finally found something that works for my skin type! So I'm relatively careful, but not exactly meticulous. My routine is really simple, and I don't even wear makeup anymore. :o

Beckstar
October 29th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I take great care of my skin, benign neglect my hair.

lottiealice
October 29th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Nails: Nope. I bite them, or keep them cut very short. No whites showing at all, please. I can't be bothered to paint them either.
Skin: I have some hormonal acne that I take anti-biotics for but other than that I'm obsessed with skincare. I've tried a LOT of different things. Retinoids, creams, oils (never will I ever put coconut oil near my face again!). I care a lot about my skin and am very worried about ageing and spots.

Natalia_A00
October 29th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Not really. Sometimes I apply some creams and other treatments, but I usually forget about it. I don't enjoy taking care of my skin as much as I do with my hair. For me, taking care of my hair is fun and easier (and more rewarding), whereas I don't have a lot of knowledge about skincare and my skin is a mess regardless what I do :rolleyes: I must say that I'm never lazy for hair care, but I'm VERY lazy for skincare

Spar
October 29th, 2018, 08:55 PM
YES! I love skincare. It's the first thing that introduced me to the "beauty world".

I use a retinoid every night, sunscreen every day, Vitamin C + brightening products, hyaluronic acid serum, and lactic acid to exfoliate. On my body I use lotion/oil after every shower.

I have been getting into nails as well. Shaping, buffing, and painting a clear protein polish on every day. Right now I just keep my nails a natural color, but I'm thinking about colored polish and possibly gel manicures in the future.

Jesmonster2
October 30th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I have a pretty good skin care routine. I double cleanse, use an aha serum or a Retinol and vitamin c serum, and I top that off with a thick layer of CeraVe moisturizer every night. I use CeraVe with SPF 25 every day.

Jesmonster2
October 30th, 2018, 09:28 AM
If you have sensitive skin, be sure to rinse after using micellar water. It can leave an irritating residue. I just recently learned about this.

BuddhaBelle
January 15th, 2021, 07:07 AM
Wanted to start this thread back up as I really enjoy taking care of my skin as much as I take care of my hair.

I go through phases of which I'm obsessed with more, currently, it is my hair but I'm on a quest to find the perfect products for my whole body. :eye:

I am also a fan of nail care and usually have loooooong nails but unfortunately, they have been more prone to breakage at the moment. :(

Feral_
January 15th, 2021, 08:37 AM
Hmm well I probably do more for my skin than I do my hair because I’m not using hair products lol. But even with skin I don’t buy brands (except sunscreen and a natural deodorant), and I don’t wear make up. I use natural oils and butters for cleansing (OCM) and moisturising, also use a body brush to exfoliate before bathing. Nails are short and polish-free for work (physio).

blackgothicdoll
January 15th, 2021, 08:38 AM
I have very easy going face skin. Drug store face wash works great, and then pretty much any standard cocoa butter lotion. Occasionally deep clean with astringent. That's basically it. If I had a more difficult facial routine I would likely pay less attention to my hair, as my face skin is more important to me.

The rest of my skin likes a salex cloth for washing followed by lotions with mineral oil and or shea butter. I'm actually allergic to fancy things with perfumes, so I can't use scented lotions.

Yes, I wish my hair were this simple. The worst thing that has ever happened to my skin is me being at a hotel and not having any Dove soap or cocoa butter lotion.

Begemot
January 15th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Pretty much, yeah. Sometimes I focus (obsess, potato-potato) a bit more in skin or hair but still keep a steady routine for both. I'm not very interested in nails though, probably because my nails are not pretty lol. They are pretty strong and can grow long but they have ugly shapes and long nails feel a little impractical to me. I prefer to keep them short and wear no polish or just clear base and/or natural polish. I mostly care about tidying my cuticles.

Linden
January 15th, 2021, 10:05 AM
As someone who is very prone to acne, I definitely work harder at my skincare. For me skincare is something I have to do, but haircare is something I do for fun. No one will notice if I didn't oil my hair before putting it up in a bun, but they will notice a big collection of pimples of my face.

JasminxCat
January 15th, 2021, 03:06 PM
I pay more attention to my hair than skin. I don't have any special routine for my face and couldn't care less about my nails. But I do take care of my extra dry, sensitive skin on the rest of my body so I soak up in body lotions, oils & special creams everyday. Not that I like to do it, but have to for the sake of my eczema

illicitlizard
January 15th, 2021, 06:25 PM
I'm obsessive and inconsistent with both hair and skincare :P

My skin probably gets more love though, hair I kinda ignore mostly. Skin is so PICKY I have to be conscious of what I put on it or I'll break out. I only just found a body wash/soap alternative that doesn't make my skin itch and I'm 22 lol. I do try and keep skincare simple though, right now I 'only' cleanse, tone, moisturise and occasionally chemically exfoliate. I should wear sunscreen more often too tbh, I'm gonna age so quickly haha.

Well, past me just needed to chill.
Now I cleanse with the same ultra gentle drugstore cleanser, exfoliate with a face washer, moisturise daily with cheap moisturizer and wear sunscreen. I'm not super fussy about skincare now I've found something simple that works.

I'm also way more patient and chill about my hair (and nails) now :)

Iyashikei
January 15th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Yes. I use prescription stuff because of my eczema.

stardust lady
January 16th, 2021, 03:45 AM
I'm definitely more into skincare than haircare, but I try to have a very relaxed and low-maintenance approach to both. I was a sun worshipper for most of my life, despite being a fitzpatrick 2 and living in southern California, and ended up with premature aging. My parents thought that sunscreen was bad for you, despite being of Swedish/English and Irish/Scottish descent, and taught me that sun exposure would prevent skin cancer. For real. I believed it, and then my dad started getting skin cancer. And then I started getting a sagging neck, fine lines, wrinkles, yellowing skin at 28 years old. As vain as it is, I was really depressed about my looks. So I did a lot of research on skincare and reversing sun damage, and now use tretinoin, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, lots of moisturizer, LOTS of sunscreen, and exfoliating acids. Thankfully it only consumes about 5 minutes of my day total, and my skin has improved a lot in the last couple years, and people started saying I look younger than I am. I'm blown away by the changes, it's been well worth the effort!

Entangled
January 16th, 2021, 06:11 AM
My first thought was No Way! But then I realized with my current benign neglect, then...yep, my routines more or less match, though I’m even less involved with my skin than hair. Skincare is mostly taking care of problem zones (picky scalp, hands prone to peeling). I don’t have a care routine beyond that. Nails are soooo bad...my fingers don’t hurt right now from picking/biting, so that’s better than average.

BuddhaBelle
January 16th, 2021, 07:48 AM
Hmm well I probably do more for my skin than I do my hair because I’m not using hair products lol. But even with skin I don’t buy brands (except sunscreen and a natural deodorant), and I don’t wear make up. I use natural oils and butters for cleansing (OCM) and moisturising, also use a body brush to exfoliate before bathing. Nails are short and polish-free for work (physio).

i love making my own skincare products/using oils on my skin to cleanse and moisturise. i have a body brush but I don't use it regularly! i need to get back into it.

I have very easy going face skin. Drug store face wash works great, and then pretty much any standard cocoa butter lotion. Occasionally deep clean with astringent. That's basically it. If I had a more difficult facial routine I would likely pay less attention to my hair, as my face skin is more important to me.

The rest of my skin likes a salex cloth for washing followed by lotions with mineral oil and or shea butter. I'm actually allergic to fancy things with perfumes, so I can't use scented lotions.

Yes, I wish my hair were this simple. The worst thing that has ever happened to my skin is me being at a hotel and not having any Dove soap or cocoa butter lotion.

i see what you mean! skincare is my original obsession so hair is an addition to me, especially in lockdown i find doing both so enjoyable. haha I remember I went to a hotel room and forgot my makeup remover, had to try and get it off with hand soap :doh:

Pretty much, yeah. Sometimes I focus (obsess, potato-potato) a bit more in skin or hair but still keep a steady routine for both. I'm not very interested in nails though, probably because my nails are not pretty lol. They are pretty strong and can grow long but they have ugly shapes and long nails feel a little impractical to me. I prefer to keep them short and wear no polish or just clear base and/or natural polish. I mostly care about tidying my cuticles.

ooo i feel wrong when my nails are short! steady routine for both is best.

As someone who is very prone to acne, I definitely work harder at my skincare. For me skincare is something I have to do, but haircare is something I do for fun. No one will notice if I didn't oil my hair before putting it up in a bun, but they will notice a big collection of pimples of my face.

i see what you mean! totally the same. if I leave my hair it's pretty happy but if I leave my face alone it goes crazy :draw:

I pay more attention to my hair than skin. I don't have any special routine for my face and couldn't care less about my nails. But I do take care of my extra dry, sensitive skin on the rest of my body so I soak up in body lotions, oils & special creams everyday. Not that I like to do it, but have to for the sake of my eczema

similar but my eczema is on my face and hands so that's where my focus is!

Well, past me just needed to chill.
Now I cleanse with the same ultra gentle drugstore cleanser, exfoliate with a face washer, moisturise daily with cheap moisturizer and wear sunscreen. I'm not super fussy about skincare now I've found something simple that works.

I'm also way more patient and chill about my hair (and nails) now :)

haha! oh I know what you mean I think patient is the most important thing with hair/nails. skincare works a bit quicker.

I'm definitely more into skincare than haircare, but I try to have a very relaxed and low-maintenance approach to both. I was a sun worshipper for most of my life, despite being a fitzpatrick 2 and living in southern California, and ended up with premature aging. My parents thought that sunscreen was bad for you, despite being of Swedish/English and Irish/Scottish descent, and taught me that sun exposure would prevent skin cancer. For real. I believed it, and then my dad started getting skin cancer. And then I started getting a sagging neck, fine lines, wrinkles, yellowing skin at 28 years old. As vain as it is, I was really depressed about my looks. So I did a lot of research on skincare and reversing sun damage, and now use tretinoin, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, lots of moisturizer, LOTS of sunscreen, and exfoliating acids. Thankfully it only consumes about 5 minutes of my day total, and my skin has improved a lot in the last couple years, and people started saying I look younger than I am. I'm blown away by the changes, it's been well worth the effort!

oh god this made me cringe! :( I am a religious user of spf and anti-aging products. any suggestions??

My first thought was No Way! But then I realized with my current benign neglect, then...yep, my routines more or less match, though I’m even less involved with my skin than hair. Skincare is mostly taking care of problem zones (picky scalp, hands prone to peeling). I don’t have a care routine beyond that. Nails are soooo bad...my fingers don’t hurt right now from picking/biting, so that’s better than average.

hahaha that made me lol! i think skincare involves so much more than haircare so it definitely takes more effort. :o

lapushka
January 16th, 2021, 09:08 AM
I'm into both, about equally as much. Very picky with skincare, even though it's all very very affordable (Lidl or Aldi brand) and then my Nivea blue tin, and dark blue bottle moisturizer for the body.

I also have the Tena no rinse "wash" for my legs (very sensitive). It's very nice. I wonder if that's not great for eczema, since it is a no rinse wash/lotion at the same time.

ioanaxena
January 16th, 2021, 10:47 AM
I am very meticulous with both my skincare and haircare. I am seeing so much improvement in my skin quality since I started using the right products! And from this forum I gained a lot of knowledge on how to take care of my hair - I still have some things to ”fix”, but all in all, everything feels and looks better now :).

Jane99
January 16th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Nivea cream is heavenly :)
I take OK enough care of my skin. Ever since using a vitamin C toner, I’ve found my complexion has incredibly improved. I also more recently started using moisturizer with SPF. I try to go as organic as feasible. Just my preference.

The Lizard Wife
January 16th, 2021, 12:03 PM
My skincare's gotten much better now that I've learned more about my hair, because my scalp and my skin are the same (and my actual hair is pretty tough and doesn't really need pampering). Also because both of my routines are basically neglect, hah. My skin doesn't cope with being washed; if I wash my face regularly I get the terrible skin that washing and moisturizing is supposed to prevent, and if I don't stretch my hair washes I get flaky itchy scalp. The only thing I've ever found that's gentle enough for cleansing my face is micellar water, and even that doesn't make for great skin. My skin wants to be oiled and scrubbed at a bit with my fingers to exfoliate the dead skin cells off. I generally use coconut oil but it wasn't cutting it for the winter, but I just found a body butter with mango butter, cocoa butter, and various oils, and it's perfect! I know everyone else is probably crying at the thought of putting a body butter on your face, but it's what works for me so it must not be wrong.

There is no hope for my nails. They're probably actually really amazing, if I could stop biting them long enough for them to grow, but. They're a casualty of my autism and I haven't managed to redirect it yet.

Feral_
January 16th, 2021, 12:48 PM
I think I can remember when nivea did in fact come in a little blue metal tin, maybe early 80s? Really wish they’d do that again, everything is in plastic, which saddens me. In fact haircare in general is a LOT of plastic - just look at the Use My Stash Up thread :( Yes, I know it can be recycled but it would be nice if companies stopped putting it in plastic to start with? The oils and butters I use for skin care are in glass bottles / jars which I transfer to a recycled deodorant tin or aluminium bottle, when I make my own.

sapphire-o
January 16th, 2021, 01:27 PM
I think I can remember when nivea did in fact come in a little blue metal tin, maybe early 80s? Really wish they’d do that again, everything is in plastic, which saddens me. In fact haircare in general is a LOT of plastic - just look at the Use My Stash Up thread :( Yes, I know it can be recycled but it would be nice if companies stopped putting it in plastic to start with? The oils and butters I use for skin care are in glass bottles / jars which I transfer to a recycled deodorant tin or aluminium bottle, when I make my own.

Nivea creme still come in metal tins here. Haircare can be plastic free if you really want to. I only use shampoo bars, and sometimes an acidic rinse, no conditioner.

For the original question: no I'm not meticulous with either skin care or hair care. I wash my body with soap bar and water. Only use face wash and creams sometimes because people keep giving them to me as gift. My face feels fine if I don't use those products. It's soft and dewy if i just leave it alone.

JasminxCat
January 16th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Removed.....

Kwolf248Mane
January 16th, 2021, 03:50 PM
I usually take care of both from time to time because of laziness but started to be meticulous since beginning of year. I only use hyaluronic acid cream for my face and a cheap body moisturizer from a supermarket and I can see a change in my skin.

lapushka
January 16th, 2021, 06:15 PM

It is still in a metal tin. Yes, you can get it in a plastic tub as well these days, but they don't sell that as much. They still sell that blue tin, more than you realize. I guess it's where you get it, that matters.

ETA/ The "soft cream" is in a white tub, and that has always been plastic! Always. But they recently have started doing the blue "tin" in a same plastic tub (but dark blue). Still, the metal tins aren't gone.

Arciela
January 16th, 2021, 10:14 PM
For me I don't do anything special with my skin. I "wash" it with plain water in the morning when I shower, use cerve moisture or skin aqua sunscreen if going outside no matter if it's winter or summer.

I can't get a suntan on my face due to a health condition so I've never had a tan and always used sunscreen on my face since I was a kid.

Other than that that's it. I don't have any wrinkles or dry skin, it's balanced and clear. Less is more with my hair and skin, that's for sure. :flower:

lapis_lazuli
January 16th, 2021, 10:28 PM
I'm more meticulous with my skin care. I can go a few days without even touching my hair, but never my skin.

I don't do much with my nails, no polish or anything. I always let them grow out super long until one breaks and then I'll even them out.

WavyWannabe
January 17th, 2021, 01:43 AM
My skin care routine is basically non-existent. I did have one two or three years ago but quit due to laziness.
I also keep picking at my skin whenever I'm stressed or frustrated, scanning for any bumps, zits or any irregularities really, and then picking at it like there's no tomorrow...
As a result I end up with tiny scars/blemishes and ugly skin, but when I simply leave my skin alone it looks great! :(
Thanksfully I don't do that to my hair. I wish I were as nice to my skin as I am to my hair!

stardust lady
January 17th, 2021, 02:08 AM
oh god this made me cringe! :( I am a religious user of spf and anti-aging products. any suggestions??

Yeah it was a huge shock for me. I'm still not quite used to how thin and crepey my skin is (especially the sensation of it), but I have to admit I don't feel as bad about it as I did last year. I feel like I can still be attractive and confident despite the fact that my skin isn't as tight anymore, and at least it's a sign of maturity. I wasn't a fan of being in my 20s and dealing with creepers, so it's not an enormous loss.

As far as suggestions, the anti-aging holy trinity is Sunscreen, Tretinoin, and Vitamin C.

For sunscreen, I highly recommend at least an SPF 50, preferably a European sunscreen. There's been studies that show that many American and Asian sunscreens don't provide the level of protection that they advertise. I actually had the unfortunate experience of using a Korean sunscreen (Purito) for the first year of my tretinoin use (sadly while working an outside job in southern California) that was advertised as SPF 50+, and it was recently tested as SPF 19. HUGE letdown for me. I've recently started using Daylong Extreme SPF 50 and even in a few weeks I've noticed an improvement. I think La Roshe Posay (not purchased in the US) also makes some great sunscreens.

For vitamin C, I use C, E and FA by Timeless, and it's very affordable. I only started using it a couple months ago and I still have a lot of the bottle left and use it pretty generously. I need to incorporate a pH preparation step, since vitamin C needs juuust the right pH to make the magic happen in your skin. But just applying on clean skin, my skin tone has improved significantly over a couple months, and I've noticed a very subtle amount of thickening and tightening. As a bonus, it also helps prevent and reduce sun and environmental damage, so it's best to use it in the morning before sunscreen and moisturizer, and I let it soak in for a little while after applying.

For tretinoin, I use 0.05% with a couple drops of hyaluronic acid and niacinamide mixed in, for a couple reasons. It helps improve the consistency for spreading it all over my face, but also niacinamide helps reduce the side effects of tretinoin and helps it work better, and hyaluronic acid helps bring moisture into your skin from the environment (though I wouldn't recommend it if you live in a dry environment, I only started using it when I moved to the south in the US).

Feral_
January 17th, 2021, 03:38 AM
It is still in a metal tin. Yes, you can get it in a plastic tub as well these days, but they don't sell that as much. They still sell that blue tin, more than you realize. I guess it's where you get it, that matters.

ETA/ The "soft cream" is in a white tub, and that has always been plastic! Always. But they recently have started doing the blue "tin" in a same plastic tub (but dark blue). Still, the metal tins aren't gone.

Thanks Lapushka I’m going to look out for the tin next time I’m in town, think it’ll be in a chemists, as it’s just plastic pots in the supermarket. I never got on with the nivea soft, felt ‘odd’ on my skin, can’t describe it. Original thick cream for me :)

lapushka
January 17th, 2021, 04:40 AM
Thanks Lapushka I’m going to look out for the tin next time I’m in town, think it’ll be in a chemists, as it’s just plastic pots in the supermarket. I never got on with the nivea soft, felt ‘odd’ on my skin, can’t describe it. Original thick cream for me :)

My mom has normal skin and loves the soft version. My dad also uses the dark blue tin, sometimes, when he gets a tiny bit of dry skin aka a tiny bit of razor burn from shaving, helps hugely.

And me? I've just used that blue tin since age 3; 48 now, so that's 45 years, yes: non stop even through my teens (I just was dry all the time even though there was a stint with acne products here and there). I think I could be the biggest ambassador for that tin. :lol: ;) My cupboard is stocked up with it. I have about 10 in my stash. Doesn't go bad for years. And I go through them like crazy anyway, so they won't last. I think one (250ml) lasts me about a couple months.

LadyEliza
January 20th, 2021, 03:33 PM
I have rosacea so I have to take care of my skin. I have to stay cool, but not cold, and no direct sunlight. I feel like a vampire! My nails were good until 2020 then I cut them off as there was no use having lovely nails if I wasn't going out.