PDA

View Full Version : What type of highlights should I ask for?

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I've been considering going lighter for the longest time now. I have been planning to get some lighter highlights put in, but I'm unsure of how to convey the look I want to the stylist.

Here is my hair: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487299_4153059714930_671459846_n.jpg
Here is the hair I want: http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Huffington+Post+Pre+Inaugural+Ball+FFoOtzk4oi5l.jp g

I feel like Shakira's hair in this picture is very close to the color I have, but she obviously has some lighter pieces in.

I was just wondering what I should ask for as far as highlights go... heavy, thin, whole head, through the top, etc. ? I can't really take this pic. with me to the salon so I would like to know how I could explain the look to the stylist in a way I could get the desired result.

I hope some of the LHC hairdressers and others knowledgeable on color will chime in :flower:

P.S. - I currently have some highlights in my hair, and I love them and don't plan on giving them up.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'm no color expert, but it seems like with Shakira, she has thin, very light ashy blonde highlights interspersed evenly throughout her hair.

ETA: learning that her hair is naturally black, damn, that must take some serious processing. You're lucky you have blonde hair to begin with!

afu
June 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I would say that because you hair is naturally quite light you could easily get away with just a half head of highlights (or even a T section) and it still look good and natural. If you want a more natural look ask for thin highlights rather than blocky ones

BrightEyes
June 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I would agree with doing just the top half of your head. I also suggest getting the highlights weaved very finely (meaning taking thin sections and weaving each section very finely). With fine hair it can be really easy to get a chunky result if the stylist isn't meticulous doing the weave. I've found this to be true with my own fine hair and also doing hair on clients (I'm a stylist).

It looks to me as if in the picture she might also have a low-light weaved in too. Not sure though. That is what I do so I don't go too blonde.

I also suggest putting coconut oil in your hair a couple hours before you go to the salon. This can help prevent some of the damage from the bleach.

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I personally would also do a partial highlight for many reasons.
One is that often in my experiences, when you do a full head highlight, it can tend to make the ends look not as thick and with your F/M density, I don't know that you would want it to appear any thinner. :)
Your color in between the highlights naturally might do just fine without doing any sorts of additional low lights.
Another reason would be so you would have that depth of a slightly darker color underneath your hair.
I would ask for a mixture of chunky and fine highlights but not too chunky. Bright Eyes is right completely about the foils and the sections of hair weaved out. So hopefully you have a great hair stylist.
If done right though I really like the look of chunkier/fine highlights mixed. I really don't care for super fine highlights. Unless it is what someone asks for, then I do it because it is what they want :). Some hairdressers will just do what they want and that is why some people come out so unhappy.

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Can be honest. Both the pics in terms of color look exactly the same to me. (PS: I have been blonde before so I am not like color blind). I think that with your blonde you could easily get highlights be being out in the sun for week just saying.

Diamond.Eyes
June 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I am a cosmetology student and have done many colors. First of all, do NOT ask for ash blonde hair. In hairdressing terms, ash means green undertones and Shakiras hair is definitely golden, not ash. Second, I would ask your stylist to take a few slices, or large sections, throughout the hair and apply to lightener to those sections. Shakiras hair definitely has light blonde slices throughout, not tiny streaks of blonde. Your hair is already light, so processing time shouldn't take very long at all, which will result in your hair not being as damaged as someone with darker hair than you.

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks so much to everyone :flower:

I'm going to go to the same stylist who did my highlights before. She did an amazing job last time, the results were so natural looking that no one really noticed what I had done, just that my hair looked brighter. People still ask me if it is my natural color because it doesn't look streaky like a lot of highlights they have seen.

Any idea as to what I should call Shakira's shade/tone or maybe what number lightness it is?

Diamond.Eyes
June 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM
To me, it looks like a level 7 with warm or golden/honey undertones. It is definitely in the 'warm' spectrum of blonde undertones. Tell her you want some warmth in the blonde but don't want it to look brassy.

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Okay, so I found this super old magazine at the thrift store (2006) with this EXACT picture on the back of it...:

http://cdn.theatermania.com/article/33925/2.jpg

Do you think this picture would convey the same look to my stylist as shakira's hair above? It's pretty much the only thing I could find similar in print.

Diamond.Eyes
June 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I think it would. It looks like the same highlighting technique was used on both ladies. I think you should bring the picture in but also be sure to tell the stylist what you like/ don't like about the picture and what you want/don't want out of the service. I think it is just a good idea to be very clear about what you would like to achieve. :)

SurferB
June 29th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Don't get ash blonde. It does have greens in it. You'll need something with a golden undertone. I get highlights and I just say blonde... They always turn out amazing. One time I had low lights, and they turned out black instead of brown ^_^

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM

I feel much better now about being able to get the results I want. I was getting so nervous about not being able to accurately describe what I wanted!

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Usually every hair dresser I know uses something with a violet to tone the blond. This is very common, and usually every time anyone gets highlights, we just tone it and don't even really talk about it. I think you should always tone highlights. It can fix any brassiness.
This is not "ash" or "green" whatsoever.
It just makes a really pretty nice cool tone.
I have the perfect toner for what you want. It has the violet hue in it, but also gold. It turns out so very nice :)
Saying "warm without being brassy" sounds like a good idea.
I wouldn't try to go into the technicalities of trying to tell her what level you want it to be. Let her take care of that part.

SurferB
June 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Toners do work very well. Just don't use them a lot of your hair will look blue-blonde ;-P I did that one time lol

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
My stylist actually brought out the toner swatch book last time I went and let me see what options I had :D She said with my particular hair color I could go cooler or warmer, whichever I wanted. At the time I was clueless and let her decide, and she went with a golden color. I really do believe she knows what she is doing... but I know I have to be clear as to what I want or else she will be forced to try and read my mind!