PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone LIKE their layers?

sharonluvscats
June 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
One of the top complaints that I've seen in LHC is how much everyone who has layers hates them. I'm just wondering if there are any people on here who have layers and like or love them. Personally, I like my layers some of the time. I hate how they pop out of my braids but I like how my hair looks down. I like that my hair doesn't feel quite as heavy and that it looks wavier. So do any of you like your layers?

Sammie_holms
June 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I like the way they look but not in braids or updos. But that's okay because I like wearing my hair down anyhow

shutterpillar
June 29th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I do enjoy a few very long layers (no more than 3-4 inches up from the hemline) but the last person that cut my hair nearly 4 months ago put in a LOT more layers than I wanted. And on top of it she decided to put in the face-framing variety as well, so my hair is a mess right now. It would be cute if it were closer to shoulder length like it was 4 months ago, but now that it is almost BSL it just looks bad. It really makes my hair look thinner than it actually is.

So all that to say I like layers, but only when they are EXACTLY what I ask for. ;)

From now on, I cut my own hair. lol.

LaFlor
June 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I love my layers most of the time :D

I always try to grow them out only to have some put back again. I just love the look of all the different lengths and the movement I get from them. It also keeps my hair from getting tangled. I don't see myself ever getting rid of the layers completely.

I'm trying to stick with long layers at the moment, but I miss my shorter ones from time to time.

It is a pain with updo's, but that is the trade-off :shrug:

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I love layers, but hate that they make my hair look sooooo very thin.
I am aiming to grow them out completely and see how I feel. I would like to have long layers eventually.
I will always keep my face framing and short bangs though.

gonzobird
June 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I like mine. Alot. And I do t mind a few random scraglers poking out of my braids ... I'm not one for a perfect polished look. I think a bit messy looks better.

kaydana
June 29th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I love my layers! I dye the last two inches of my hair bright colours, and I love the effect the layers give (and not having to worry about straight lines!). Bits of hair sticking out of braids can get annoying, but for me the awesome streaks of colour running through the braid totally make up for the extra effort it takes to keep the layers contained.

Mononoke
June 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I'm not sure it counts, but I have outgrown bangs which I think frame my face in a flattering way, and am considering to leave them instead of growing them out like I meant to.

Tia2010
June 29th, 2012, 07:52 AM
My SIL loves her layers! She has such thick hair that without layers, she wouldn't be able to control it :)

CurlyMopTop
June 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I loved my layers at shorter lengths, but they make my hair look too thin at longer lengths.

Loviatar
June 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I like Spidermom's new layers :D

Diamond.Eyes
June 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I really don't like mine at all. I've been trying to grow them out for a year or so now, and they are very annoying, especially when I want a nice looking braid that doesn't have my layers poking out.

swearnsue
June 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I like layers on other people as long as they don't get in the person's eyes. I have a thing about that; it just bugs me.

MissManda
June 29th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I had layers that I completely grew out last summer. I didn't like them because they were meant for a shoulder-length style and were thinned to death (about 1/3 of my full thickness was left on my head). Most of my hair was also rather damaged from demi-permanent dye, so they stuck like velcro and tangled like crazy. I didn't think it looked very nice on almost hip-length hair, so I gradually got rid of them and am very happy with my blunt U-shaped hemline.

I do like the look of layers, especially on wavy or curly hair. I might try layers again someday and make sure that they are more suitable for longer lengths or maybe I'll just get some face-framing ones. For the time being, though, I am going to enjoy my mostly one-length hair and the nice, even braid that it makes.

DarkCurls
June 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I didn't use to mind mine -- I liked them a lot back when they were still short enough to be face-framing --, but now I can't stand them. They drive me crazy when I braid my hair, and since I love braids...
I still like the way they look when my hair is down, though.

Debra83
June 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
This month.....I like them!!! :D

auroraclio
June 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with mine, when I wear my hair down and wavy they look great, but in up-do's they drive me nuts

Sylvestrix
June 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm actually very fond of mine!

I made a sort of major decision about a fortnight ago to have my hair all chopped to the length of my shortest layers, so I wouldn't have any anymore. I lost almost 7 inches, but at the time thought I wanted rid of them.

This resolve lasted all of fifteen minutes- I went back and had layers cut in all over again xD Not my brightest moment!
Although I went from having a very deep 'V' hemline to a blunter one, which I think I prefer, so it wasn't an entirely wasted endeavor!

I've every intention of keeping my layers as I keep growing- yes, they are a bit of a pain when trying to bun or braid neatly, but my tufty buns have just recently been shown a whole lot of love on this very forum, which has made it bug me a whole lot less- it gives my 'dos a bit of character, which I'm actually growing to prefer- I don't pull off neat and glossy very well :D

Bagginslover
June 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Love mine generally, But I would like to grow out some of them, as I have a lot! I want to keep long layers, but my shortest are half the full length of my hair, so they need to grow! I do like the way my hair looks with them though, and I get around poky braids by oiling and adding an extra band here and there at the moment. Buns are getting neater all the time, even without extra clips or pins.

MintChocChip
June 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I both love and hate my layers. I love them because without them I don't think my face looks in proportion somehow. I think my hair looks prettier with layers, as a general rule.

However I don't like the fact that my braids thin out so much at the ends because of them, and the little flicky bits annoy me. I didn't like the look of me with shorter hair and shorter layers either, but I wouldn't want to get rid of them completely. They add a nice bit of texture to my hair I think. I just wish my layers were a bit longer. I got my hair trimmed the other day and she cut some of the layers way too short! Now, it's going to take me even longer to have long hair with LONG layers! :mad Le sigh.

kitschy
June 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I like my long layers. They help my curl to pop.

missmelaniem
June 29th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I love mine. I actually have what I call a slightly below chin length bang and then slight layering at the ends. I like volume, so it really helps with that

This photo is the closest that I could find to what it looks like

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID15498/images/1269361040_jen_lg(1).jpg

spidermom
June 29th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I had long layers and face-framing fringe done last weekend.
Love-love-love!

ravenreed
June 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I adore my layers. They do make braids fuzzier at the ends, but I just leave a long tassel. I wear my hair down or in a high pony tail more than I wear braids, and I like the way layers look in those styles. I also think they make my buns less likely to come undone. They were more trouble when I first started trying updos because they stuck out of buns a lot at WL, but once I got closer to TB, they stopped being a problem at all.

longhairedwolf
June 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I love my layers. The last four or so inches of my hair are layered, and I also have a few face framing layers. I always wear my hair down, and I love the shape they give to the sides of my hair and the hemline. Because my hair is wavy, they enhance the wave patter as well. Because my hair is thick, the layers spare me from triangle or mushroom head.

I can understand why they might be a pain if you were trying to do up-dos and they kept poking out, or if your hair was thin and they made it look even thinner.

SnowWhite
June 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I married my layers, I'll keep them.. ALWAYS!!

Jessibear2854
June 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I like mine. Alot. And I do t mind a few random scraglers poking out of my braids ... I'm not one for a perfect polished look. I think a bit messy looks better.

Yes, me too! I think I look weird if my hair is too neat.

rbecks
June 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Love them - when I have no layers my hair although straight is practically unmanageable because there is just too much in my way.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I love my layers. There was a period of time when I almost grew them all out, but it just made my hair so heavy and unstylish that I just had them cut back in again and I never looked back.

They're still long so they don't poke that much out of my braids.

Tristania
June 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I love having layers, they give my hair so much movement. Blunt, straight hemlines just don't do anything for me. I also think that having some shorter layers at about chin length is much more flattering.

jellycatty
June 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Most of my hair will never not have layers lol

Honey_Bear89
June 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have had layers ever since I can remember! I usually love my layers but this past time I went to my stylist and she put in way too many. At first I loved them but now they are just a pain. I have layers a bit below ear level and then longer ones that are almost BSL! It doesn't look bad and if styled everyday it would be fine. However, I can be lazy when it comes to that and I am trying my best to stay away from heat tools. I am currently trying to grow them out so that my shortest layer is shoulder length.

MonaMayfair
June 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I love layers, I had some cut in earlier this year after being unable to tolerate one length hair (which I find really dull) for one moment longer.
I REALLY didn't want to go the hairdressers, but for layers there was no alternative.

Next time I get my hair cut, I'd like lots more layering. It is a pain with braids, I have to keep re-doing them, but it's worth it.

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I like layers on chin to APL length hair. I think they look better at the those length than blunt hems. I actually don't like the idea of blunt hems at all. My problem with my current layers, is I have thick, hair that stylists always seem to thin drastically when putting in layers.

but on the other hand my hair is starting to get pretty heavy. so IDK.

Valorie
June 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I liked them until I decided to grow to tailbone or more.
At that length trying to blend in layers just seems too hard for me anyway.
Now I hate them because they are growing out and the ends are more damaged than the rest of my hair. However, I'm not opposed to having them again if and when I cut my hair back to a shorter length because at those lengths I do appreciate the style and versatility.

racrane
June 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I have layers growing out and I have to admit, when my hair is down, the layers really enhance my face and all. They're quite flattering.

BUT, I like updo's more and layers drive me nuts. So, I guess I don't think they're bad, just not helpful for me with where I"m at now. (Who knows, I may want them again in the future.)

sharonluvscats
June 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I loved my layers at shorter lengths, but they make my hair look too thin at longer lengths.

My longest layers do look kind of thin now that I'm getting close to wsl. I think the problem is that I have too many layers.

I didn't use to mind mine -- I liked them a lot back when they were still short enough to be face-framing --, but now I can't stand them. They drive me crazy when I braid my hair, and since I love braids...
I still like the way they look when my hair is down, though.

I recently became a braiding addict which is probably why I'm thinking about growing out my layers. The messy braids drive me nuts.I have to braid when my hair is wet if I want the pieces to stay in.

Love mine generally, But I would like to grow out some of them, as I have a lot! I want to keep long layers, but my shortest are half the full length of my hair, so they need to grow! I do like the way my hair looks with them though, and I get around poky braids by oiling and adding an extra band here and there at the moment. Buns are getting neater all the time, even without extra clips or pins.

I have a lot too. I think that is my biggest problem. I have bangs I'm growing out on top of 4 or so different layers of hair. My shortest are hovering over the shoulders and my longest is close to wsl. From the front my hair looks short when it is down. I think I need to grow out the ones that are shorts than bsl.

I both love and hate my layers. I love them because without them I don't think my face looks in proportion somehow. I think my hair looks prettier with layers, as a general rule.

However I don't like the fact that my braids thin out so much at the ends because of them, and the little flicky bits annoy me. I didn't like the look of me with shorter hair and shorter layers either, but I wouldn't want to get rid of them completely. They add a nice bit of texture to my hair I think. I just wish my layers were a bit longer. I got my hair trimmed the other day and she cut some of the layers way too short! Now, it's going to take me even longer to have long hair with LONG layers! :mad Le sigh.

Agreed. I hate how my braids thin out near the end. I'm afraid to get my hair trimmed because I'm worried that my layers will get cut too short. That actually happened to me a few months ago too. The hairdresser decided to "even out my layers" (whatever the heck that means ) and I was back at bsl. Now I tell them straight away not to trim my shorter layers.

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I don't mind mine. I loved them since they made my waves stand out more, but now that I'm braiding more often it's hard to get them to stay put. I'm using a paranda for now to braid with since it keeps all the bits in, and it's better for my ends anyways. I have a side fring though that I need trimmed since its getting long enough to get sucked into my ponytails and braids.

moralita
June 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I like my layers a lot!

GoblinTart
June 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
If i had thick hair, I'd like them. But even just one layer makes the ends of my hair look scraggly, and hardly there. So no layers for me anymore.

gracenotes
June 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I have such a love-hate relationship with layers. I LOVED the way my layers looked with my hair type when I wore my hair down, but they always stuck out of updos and braids. I also found that having layers increased tangles and breakage because the shorter layers would get splits and then tangle with the longer layers. I'm planning on growing out with a shallow U-hemline, and maybe getting some long layers put in if I'm unhappy.

mrs_coffee
June 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I like mine and I plan to keep them. They've kept me from being able to wear up-dos so far, but I don't care that much.

seven77
June 29th, 2012, 01:40 PM
When my hair was long I LOVED my layers.. I am a fan of layers.. my hair just looks so boring when it's one layer. Looks better on other people.

GlennaGirl
June 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I love my layers right now. I had much more layering at the end of last year and found it thinned my hair waaaaaaay too much at the bottom. I cut off that bottom part, basically.

But layers make my hair "interesting" -- otherwise it hangs down my neck in straight strings. Light layering (around my face, and then all around my head but only about an inch up from the hem) give my hair lots of bounce.

This is the only thing I've ever done that made me feel like I had "lots" of hair. :p Yes, my hair does separate at the bottom (you can def. see this in my avatar). But it does exactly the same thing when all my hair is the same length and I have no layers (I know, I've done this). So it can either look thin, plain and separated, or a bit bouncy and separated...no offense to anyone else's taste, my taste runs to the latter for myself.

ETA: I absolutely love messy buns. Not sure on the messy braids thing. When my hair was all one length, I was constantly trying to get my bun to look messy. It would just...sort of fall to one side. I love sticky-outies. :inlove:

GlennaGirl
June 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
When my hair was long I LOVED my layers.. I am a fan of layers.. my hair just looks so boring when it's one layer. Looks better on other people.

I know. I see some all-one-length hair and my jaw falls to the floor at the amazingness of it. :p (Not a word, I know.) But...not when it's my own hair.

poppy81
June 29th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I do! :-) I like having different layers in my hair, especially when it's longer.

ohmygackt
June 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I like my layers, only because my hair might look boring without them. But I wish they were longer so my braids will stay in ;l

DragonFlyPie
June 29th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I absolutely LOVE my layers & hate having all one length hair. It looks great on other people but looks hideous on me, imo. Layers are way more fun & edgy for me.

When my hair is all one length, it looks boring & lifeless.

zombi
June 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I do! I love my layers and I won't get rid of them. I don't mind that they make some things messy, either! I feel my curl pattern is prettier with layers and they make my hair look thicker -- when it's all one length you can really see how 'i' thickness I am! :D

So yes, yay layers!

anachronic
June 29th, 2012, 04:56 PM
not good layers for me:eek:

Vanilla
June 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Layers help define my waves with my hair type. It sometimes bothers me when the layers stick out of braids and updos, but one length hair makes my hair look flat and stringy. It pulls the wave completely out, and I'm left with lifeless hair.

I had 1 length waist length hair and it just hung there, like a curtain.

elbow chic
June 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I've liked them when I've had them. Same reasons as everyone else-- they give more "movement" and shapeliness, plus they feel so light and easy! Makes detangling easier, too.

And like a lot of 2s, they bring out my wurls without having to put much thought or product into "defining" them!

Don't like the ($$) upkeep, tho. And I do enjoy my braids/buns without ends poking out everywhere. Gonna keep enjoying the one-length thing for awhile. If nothing else, it is CHEAP to maintain. :D At this time in my life I am kind of into that. :laugh:

Bunnysaur
June 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I need to have face framing layers, or I look very severe. I love my layers and bangs! I think they look great.

leslissocool
June 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I love my layers :) and I am sure Ultrabella loves hers, if she hasn't posted look her up. Her hair is gorgeous!

akuamoonmaui
June 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I like mine for many of the afore mentioned reasons!

Kristin
June 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I love my layers. :) I tried to grow out some of them when I first came to LHC, only to have them cut back in last November. They allow more movement and volume in the crown area and make my hair feel lighter. My hair holds curl a little better with layers, too. And I like the messy bun look, though I could do without the poking-out pieces when I braid it.

lauren_n
June 29th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I love having layers
I feel like my hair is horribly bland without them, it's so flat and lifeless. And especially when I (finally) grow out my natural colour, I'll want them to make my hair a little more interesting

Puertoricangirl
July 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I like/dislike them. My hair is about BSL length and I have some layers and side swept bangs. I just want them to grow out but I do like that they give my hair different lengths. Once my bangs grow out and I hit waist length like I used to be a couple months ago...I think I will like them more. They can also be a pain when I am trying to do a side braid :rolleyes:

spirals
July 4th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I LOVE my layers. I've had them since jr. high and I will probably have them even at HL. They take weight off my head and enhance movement.

aisha.christine
July 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I love my layers! Without them, I would totally have a triangle head. I have pretty thick hair, and since my hair is so short, anything to make my hair have more movement and shape is a plus for me. :D

IndigoOptimist
July 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I used to love my layers when my hair was shorter and had choppy, very short ones. They make it seem like I have more hair (in thickness) than I do. If it's all one length it looks half the thickness O.O
However now I'm letting them grow out a bit and not cutting them as short anymore as it looks stupid ;) I do like them though, but I want them to be long layers, which is what they're becoming and that's good :)
I don't know how though because the shortest used to be 3 inches shorter than my longest and now there's only 1 inch in it, yet I always cut off the same amount when I trim :s