PDA

View Full Version : Henna & Jewelweed

longNred
June 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM
My DS has always had the most ridiculous reactions to bug bites and even poison ivy (which coincidentally, I have NEVER had in my life). He had to go on steroids at age 2 because he came into contact w/ a bit of poison ivy oil on my hb's shirt (DS was not even near the actual plant), his eye literally swelled shut in a matter of hours (for a week). Mosquito bites result in HUGE swollen/oozy welts, that resemble impetigo/staph.

so, I inadvertently learned about jewelweed, and how it's a great natural remedy for poison ivy - and low & behold, my backyard is FULL of the stuff.

This year, I've been making jewelweed tea - basically boiling down a large chopped handful of leaves/stems. Dab this concentrated tea on bug bites or rashes, and they settle down overnight. No more crazy reactions for my DS, and with out the use of meds. I'm VERY happy.

Then I learned what is in this plant that makes it so magical... Lawsone. Yeah, the same chemical in henna. Making it soothing, and anti-fungal. I really should of put 2 and 2 together, because the tea that results is a lovely amber color...

Now I have a large mason jar of this tea in my fridge, for clearing up minor skin irritations. Tonight is henna night (root touch up and maybe a light gloss) and I may try thinning out my frozen stash w/ a bit of jewelweed tea and see how it goes.

further info: http://www.thenaturelabs.com/article.php?id=36

Just thought I'd throw that info out there.

akilina
June 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Woah! I grew a ton of flowers in my garden and it looks JUST like that!! I might try rubbing the juice on me because Im currently covered in poison oak. I didn't even come in contact with it myself. My BF worked in it all day and I got it but HE didn't!

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Sounds like your son is ultra allergic! Funny that you're not allergic; maybe it comes from his father's side?

I'm a pretty normal level of allergic to poison ivy oil. I know that jewel weed is not only anti fungal and anti inflammatory, but apparently it helps dissolve and strip the poison ivy oil (which is what the allergic reaction is to). No idea it was lawsone that did it!

Maybe I'll try to collect some and make a tea of it for my hair! It grows like...well...weeds where I am :)

longNred
June 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I didn't get to henna... Booooo... My summer social calendar needs to calm down a bit. But, being out at bbqs the past 2 nights means lots of bug bites... Therefore thankful I haven't used my jewelweed tea for my hair just yet. And yes dollyfish, my hb gets poison ivy just looking at it, DS definitely inherited that from him.