PDA

View Full Version : Question About Co & Shedding

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM
I started CWC as soon as I joined here, and it worked great. My hair has still been really dry so about 3 weeks ago I started mostly CO washing instead & my hair seems to like it. I have noticed an increase in shedding, but in the beginning I assumed it was due to stretching my washes. Yesterday I realized that not only am I shedding tons more, but most of the hairs shed are longer strands.
10 days ago I started applying Monistat every other day hoping to increase my growth, I have been measuring very precisely and there seems to be no growth. I realize that 10 days is a very short period of time, but last month when I had not yet started CO or Monistat my hair grew more. Is it possible that CO washing is not only increasing shedding but also stalling growth?

ETA: Sorry if I shoud have posted this in the CO Washing thread, i just figured that since It also had the added Monistat angle, it would be better....
Thanks

DarkCurls
June 29th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I don't see how CO-washing could stall growth. :confused: I'm no chemist, but that sounds weird to me. Unless you shed all your longest hairs...

I have noticed an increase in shedding since I switched to CO, but because the overall condition of my hair has been improving, I'm loathe to go back to shampoo. I haven't counted the hairs because it'd take so long, but I'm estimating about 80-120 every time I shower. I have been noticing a normal growth rate, though, so I'm trying not to panic. :p

Short answer is yes, it can increase shedding (a change in your routine can induce more shedding for a short period of time, or a product your hair doesn't like for example).
If the problem persists I suggest trying with a different conditioner, and if still happens then you may want to look elsewhere.

bumblebums
June 29th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I can't comment on the Monistat, but since you have two variables at play, it will be hard to pin down the exact cause of your shedding. I have heard of CO causing shedding for some people, though I haven't experienced it myself--quite the opposite, in fact. But perhaps you are simply manipulating your hair and touching your scalp more, which can dislodge telogen hairs.

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 06:09 AM
I don't see how CO-washing could stall growth. :confused: I'm no chemist, but that sounds weird to me. Unless you shed all your longest hairs...

I have noticed an increase in shedding since I switched to CO, but because the overall condition of my hair has been improving, I'm loathe to go back to shampoo. I haven't counted the hairs because it'd take so long, but I'm estimating about 80-120 every time I shower. I have been noticing a normal growth rate, though, so I'm trying not to panic. :p

Short answer is yes, it can increase shedding (a change in your routine can induce more shedding for a short period of time, or a product your hair doesn't like for example).
If the problem persists I suggest trying with a different conditioner, and if still happens then you may want to look elsewhere.
Thank you, I also like the overall condition of my hair since switching to CO, but am worried about the increased shedding mainly because my hair is so fine and thin to begin with. Switching up my conditioner before abandoning CO all together seems like a great idea. I will try that! :)

Theobroma
June 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I can't speak to the growth stall, but CO most definitely can and does cause excess shedding for some people. I was CO for a year and a half and by the time I realised that the wad of hair that was coming out at every was was, in fact, much bigger than it should be, I'd lost a significant percentage of my thickness.

Like someone upthread I loved the overall condition of my hair with CO and the fact that my scalp was less flaky, and I kept telling myself that since I wear it up all the time, all those naturally shed hairs had no chance of coming out except when my hair had my full attention because I was combing or washing it at the time, so even though it looked like a lot it wasn't more than it should be, right?

Nope, wrong. The moment I (very reluctantly) reverted to shampoo my shedding dropped to a third or a quarter of what it had been with CO.

Lesson learned; CO works for some people, but I'm not one of them. Now I get to sit tight for several years while my thickness (hopefully) grows back. :(

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM

I can't comment on the Monistat, but since you have two variables at play, it will be hard to pin down the exact cause of your shedding. I have heard of CO causing shedding for some people, though I haven't experienced it myself--quite the opposite, in fact. But perhaps you are simply manipulating your hair and touching your scalp more, which can dislodge telogen hairs.
Definitely manipulating my hair more, especially due to the Monistat. Will keep that in mind. Thanks :)

I can't speak to the growth stall, but CO most definitely can and does cause excess shedding for some people. I was CO for a year and a half and by the time I realised that the wad of hair that was coming out at every was was, in fact, much bigger than it should be, I'd lost a significant percentage of my thickness.

Like someone upthread I loved the overall condition of my hair with CO and the fact that my scalp was less flaky, and I kept telling myself that since I wear it up all the time, all those naturally shed hairs had no chance of coming out except when my hair had my full attention because I was combing or washing it at the time, so even though it looked like a lot it wasn't more than it should be, right?

Nope, wrong. The moment I (very reluctantly) reverted to shampoo my shedding dropped to a third or a quarter of what it had been with CO.

Lesson learned; CO works for some people, but I'm not one of them. Now I get to sit tight for several years while my thickness (hopefully) grows back. :(
Thanks for this very useful info. My hair being so thin, I definitely can't take that chance and will monitor shedding carefully from now on. Good luck with regaining your thickness! :)

Thanks for replies, I'm off to buy some new conditioner. If I don't see a decrease in shedding by a few days, I will have to go back to CWC :(

ravenreed
June 29th, 2012, 07:04 AM
I have the opposite problem. For me, shampoo causes shedding, as well as other problems. I now only shampoo my length when it needs it and try to avoid shampoo on my scalp. Since I get shampoo related sheds, I suppose someone else can get conditioner related sheds. However, since you are using the same conditioner as part of a CWC, it doesn't seem as likely to me that the conditioner is causing it. I would think you would shed more during the CWC as well, if it really was from the conditioner.

Theobroma
June 29th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for this very useful info. My hair being so thin, I definitely can't take that chance and will monitor shedding carefully from now on. Good luck with regaining your thickness! :)

Thanks! I hope CO works for you with the right conditioner, but don't be afraid to walk away from it if it doesn't. There's bound to be another hair care routine out there that works well too and doesn't cause shedding.

Just to give you a little more info: I think my shedding actually increased by tiny increments during my CO period. I doubt it was as heavy right at the beginning, because that would have scared me off instantly; it sort of crept up on me over time and I didn't notice until I was losing huge amounts in every wash! So do pay very close attention to your shedding. Maybe photograph your washday sheds to have some sort of objective reference -- I know it sounds obsessive, but I started doing it when I reverted to shampoo so that I'd have more than my impressions and memories to go on. It's helped my peace of mind a lot!

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I have the opposite problem. For me, shampoo causes shedding, as well as other problems. I now only shampoo my length when it needs it and try to avoid shampoo on my scalp. Since I get shampoo related sheds, I suppose someone else can get conditioner related sheds. However, since you are using the same conditioner as part of a CWC, it doesn't seem as likely to me that the conditioner is causing it. I would think you would shed more during the CWC as well, if it really was from the conditioner.
Hm, well I just figured since the conditioner while doing CWC never really came in contact with my scalp that applying conditioner directly onto my scalp, while at the same time not washing would make a big difference.. ???

Theobroma
June 29th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Does CWC involve getting conditioner on your actual scalp? I always thought it involved coating the length with conditioner, then shampooing the scalp, and then applying conditioner to the length again. If the conditioner isn't getting on the scalp, then I'd have thought that two applications of it on the length shouldn't trigger shedding?

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks! I hope CO works for you with the right conditioner, but don't be afraid to walk away from it if it doesn't. There's bound to be another hair care routine out there that works well too and doesn't cause shedding.

Just to give you a little more info: I think my shedding actually increased by tiny increments during my CO period. I doubt it was as heavy right at the beginning, because that would have scared me off instantly; it sort of crept up on me over time and I didn't notice until I was losing huge amounts in every wash! So do pay very close attention to your shedding. Maybe photograph your washday sheds to have some sort of objective reference -- I know it sounds obsessive, but I started doing it when I reverted to shampoo so that I'd have more than my impressions and memories to go on. It's helped my peace of mind a lot!

Photographing sheds doesn't seem obsessive ;) I'm already putting alot of energy into trying to get my hair healthier, better make sure it doesn't fall out in the process! Sort of defeats the purpose..:D Thanks again! Oh, and do you use sulfate free shampoo?

Does CWC involve getting conditioner on your actual scalp? I always thought it involved coating the length with conditioner, then shampooing the scalp, and then applying conditioner to the length again. If the conditioner isn't getting on the scalp, then I'd have thought that two applications of it on the length shouldn't trigger shedding?

This is what I always thought too!

Theobroma
June 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I'm already putting alot of energy into trying to get my hair healthier, better make sure it doesn't fall out in the process! Sort of defeats the purpose..:D

Exactly. What use is having beautifully soft hair if you end up with not enough of it to cover your scalp!

Thanks again! Oh, and do you use sulfate free shampoo?

I'm still looking for a sulphate free shampoo that I really like. The one I'm using at the moment does contain sulphate, but not as the main surfactant, and it's fairly mild in general. In any case sulphates don't seem to make me shed, so this is not an issue that's high on my list of priorities (though I wouldn't say no to a completely sulphate-free shampoo if the perfect one came along!)

caadam
June 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Hmm... well, I'm a CO washer and I certainly don't have a problem with growth. I had put a thread up after being on LHC for 15 months, and showed 18 inches of hair growth. :D But that was some months ago. I had also chopped off three inches out of those 18 inches, and those three inches are back. LOL

As for shedding... you know, I thought I was having a shedding problem until I started brushing every day. If I brush every day, I shed probably no more than 15 hairs a day. If I don't brush every day, the shed hairs kind of pile up because I'm not brushing them out, and when wash day comes around, I'll notice 20-30 hairs. Just my observation. ♥

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Exactly. What use is having beautifully soft hair if you end up with not enough of it to cover your scalp!

I'm still looking for a sulphate free shampoo that I really like. The one I'm using at the moment does contain sulphate, but not as the main surfactant, and it's fairly mild in general. In any case sulphates don't seem to make me shed, so this is not an issue that's high on my list of priorities (though I wouldn't say no to a completely sulphate-free shampoo if the perfect one came along!)

ok, thanks! :)

Hmm... well, I'm a CO washer and I certainly don't have a problem with growth. I had put a thread up after being on LHC for 15 months, and showed 18 inches of hair growth. :D But that was some months ago. I had also chopped off three inches out of those 18 inches, and those three inches are back. LOL

As for shedding... you know, I thought I was having a shedding problem until I started brushing every day. If I brush every day, I shed probably no more than 15 hairs a day. If I don't brush every day, the shed hairs kind of pile up because I'm not brushing them out, and when wash day comes around, I'll notice 20-30 hairs. Just my observation. ♥

Wow, your hair grows fast! :)
I already brush everyday, and now that I think about it I don't find that many hairs left in my brush daily, most of my shedding seems to be left in drain after CO'ing. I shed sooo much more than 20-30. :(

cocolover
June 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I am one of those that cannot have conditioner on their scalp, and CO doubled my shed easily. I have gone back and read my blog and can see that whenever I would try to make CO work, my shed would increase. CO is great for my length and great for my curls, but my scalp just hates conditioner. I have even experimented with all natural conditioners versus ones with chemicals....both cause an increase in shed for me.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I did CO and loved what it did for my hair but it caused me to shed quite a bit so I stopped immediately.

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cocolover & HintOfMint- Thanks for your input, starting to think I should get off the CO'ing immediately and see if my hair returns to normal shedding rather than experimenting with different conditioners..

ratgirldjh
June 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Any conditioner on my scalp makes me shed especially conditioners with protein. SLS shampoo made me shed even worse.

My usual washing methods are soap/acid rinse or bentonite/acid rinse and I get NO shedding after washing with these methods.

Since I rarely use conditioner or shampoo I could tell the difference after ONE use since I suddenly had several hairs come out after washing and later and this never happens - the only time I usually have a few shed hairs if after taking my hair out of a braid at night and combing and brushing and getting ready for bed.

I have a friend with very long hair who uses shampoo and a leave in conditioner and every time she combs her hair she has to stand over a waste-basket and she thinks this is normal :confused: all I know is that for me it is definitely not normal and if I stay away from conditioner or SLS shampoo that I never have this.

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Any conditioner on my scalp makes me shed especially conditioners with protein. SLS shampoo made me shed even worse.

My usual washing methods are soap/acid rinse or bentonite/acid rinse and I get NO shedding after washing with these methods.What kind of soap do you use? Are you rinsing with vinegar?

Since I rarely use conditioner or shampoo I could tell the difference after ONE use since I suddenly had several hairs come out after washing and later and this never happens - the only time I usually have a few shed hairs if after taking my hair out of a braid at night and combing and brushing and getting ready for bed.

I have a friend with very long hair who uses shampoo and a leave in conditioner and every time she combs her hair she has to stand over a waste-basket and she thinks this is normal :confused: all I know is that for me it is definitely not normal and if I stay away from conditioner or SLS shampoo that I never have this.
That's scary!

heidi w.
June 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Most people have a bit of a tiny increase in shedding in the wake of washing hair. This if fairly standard and somewhat normal, no matter the method of hair washing. But I have noticed a lot of CO people commenting that they shed more after starting CO washing. I'm not sure of the why of this outcome. But I have noticed the comment somewhat frequently.

heidi w.

mckenzie
June 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
heidi w.- Thanks for letting me know that this seems to be a frequent occurrence.
Also wanted to tell you I happened to watch your video on oiling a few days ago, and I found it really informative. Your hair is truly amazing!

Elithia
June 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I first started CO-washing only about six years ago and for the first year or so I shed immense quantities, both in the shower and throughout the day. I don't brush or comb my hair at all, so the only time shed hair gets removed is in the shower, so I figured it was normal. But it turned out to be a result of poor diet (malnourishment -- I was a 16-year-old girl, go figure) and as soon as I started eating more protein the problem fixed itself.

But I still do notice much more shedding on days when I CO-wash. I've started doing it every other week or so and just conditioning the length otherwise. In the winter I get buildup on my scalp and have to do it more often, but in the summertime it seems to work ....

bunzfan
June 29th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I actually stopped co washing a few months back because i was scared about how much i was shedding but then i was able to pin point it to a particular conditioner so i changed back to my old one and now i only shed about 5 hairs . So maybe change the conditioner the old one was making my head itch like crazy :(

ratgirldjh
June 29th, 2012, 01:45 PM
That's scary!

I use a 100% lard home-made soap right now. My hair really likes it. I have used other soaps in the past as well but this is my favorite for now. It is totally unscented and very gentle.

I use a dilute ACV/water rinse of 1 tablespoon ACV to a liter of water. Then I rinse this out well and squeeze my hair out and do a final rinse with cold reverse osmosis water since we have hard water and this has helped my hair a lot! much shinier and less mineral build up :)

mckenzie
June 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks to everybody for all the helpful replies!
I washed my hair this morning with Sulfate free shampoo and I was so happy to find that I only had approximately 15 hairs shed. :D I had no idea the turnaround in sheds could be that immediate! That means I was losing 100+ extra strands with every wash

mckenzie
June 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
cont. 100+ extra strands lost every time I CO-washed my hair...

Theobroma
June 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM
cont. 100+ extra strands lost every time I CO-washed my hair...

That was exactly my experience as well. The MOMENT I reverted to shampoo my shedding dropped to a third or a quarter of what it had been, and stayed there.

mckenzie
June 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
That was exactly my experience as well. The MOMENT I reverted to shampoo my shedding dropped to a third or a quarter of what it had been, and stayed there.
Yeah, it's pretty remarkable. I have been running my fingers through my hair all day expecting to find trapped sheds, but nothing...
Again, thanks for sharing your experience with CO and helping me realize what was going on!

Theobroma
June 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
My pleasure. It's something people need to be aware of. For some CO is fantastic, but for others it just doesn't work... And sometimes when you think your shed looks like it's too much, that's because it really IS too much!

salisem
August 20th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Glad I found this thread...

I was beginning to think I was shedding too much from CO washes, so I decided to start counting my shed. Yesterday I did a CO wash, and counted 51 lost hairs from the wash and finger combing afterwards. Today I did not wash, and counted only 9 lost hairs from finger combing, combing with my wood comb, and BBB combined.

I know we're all different, but I think I'm going to try what was suggested here, and switch to a sulfate-free shampoo.

Madora
August 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
@mckenzie...You might find this article interesting...especially the paragraph 3rd from the bottom re: shedding

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121

PetuniaBlossom
August 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Well, I don't have anything original to say, just want to add my voice to the chorus. I started CO-ing when I first found out about it on LHC. I liked it, my scalp liked it, my hair seemed to like it. Except that my shed rate went up dramatically! I tried switching to different conditioners. Shed rate still alarming. My hair was noticeably thinner. :eek: OK, that was enough for me. I went back to CWC and the shed rate went back to normal IMMEDIATELY. I mean, like the first time I CWC'ed.
I don't plan to do any more CO-ing, ever.