PDA

View Full Version : 2a/F/iii seeks hair twins for moral support

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hey,

I was just wanting to see if there where any of you guys who have my hair type. If you'd like to get together and swap notes / goals / etc...

My long hair goal? - Classic
My hair type goal? - to be as natural as possible while supporting and possibly encuraging my hair type

In otherwords when it's all said and done I want my super long hair to be and stay super wavy

Advice? suggestions? Tips? Just wanna hang out with me and shoot the bull? I'm game :)

starry
June 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Im 2b f ii! pretty close. I'm going for tailbone and trimming the dye and bleach when its at that length. Im going to do fairy-tale ends when its about mid back.

Im water only, i love lemon juice rinses for my curliness. honey made it look lot shiner but i didn't like the feel of it.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Im 2b f ii! pretty close. I'm going for tailbone and trimming the dye and bleach when its at that length. Im going to do fairy-tale ends when its about mid back.

Im water only, i love lemon juice rinses for my curliness. honey made it look lot shiner but i didn't like the feel of it.

YAY! I have a friend :D

I love lemon rinses too!! and ACV.. although my hair doesnt like them too often... maybe once a week or less.... I started out using Dr bronners soap as a poo alternative and I liked it ok but after awhile my hair started looking kind of dull and it doesnt to anything for my S waves at all... but it's still better than the alternative I guess....

I started out with no particular length goal because I knew that would frustrate me with cutting out my dye... Last year I started cutting it out and now I can say I'm fairly certian i'm dye free... Now let the grow begin!!

Do you have any favorite products that you think enhance or incurage your natural waviness?

starry
June 28th, 2012, 11:46 PM
well the honey helped- it really added shine. I didn't like the feel of it as i said. wo weighs down the curl because of the sebum coating the length.
Iv tried mousse which is ok, I'm going to try aloe vera as we have some plants in the garden. I'm still trying things out...
Im going to try some light oilings. today I'll wo wash and scrunch up my curls and Ill post a pic on this thread.. I still bbb in sections and it tends to draw out the curl as in my pic below.
its not easy having our hair type (s).. dont you think?? not quite this or that... its a challenge and you cant comb properly if you scrunch... apparently you're not supposed to comb at all with curly hair- but bbbing is just fantastic. hmph :D

IvanaGil
June 28th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I'm 2c F iii also pretty close. My hair is really wavy, borderline curly sometimes.
My hair loves ACV rinses because it makes combing soooo much easier. As for shampoos and conditioner, my hair reacts the same way to any kind I use. No shampoo has ever made my hair better or worse but I'm currently using a lavender poo and conditioner that's sulfate and cone free.Just yesterday I started using Aveda's curl-enhancer that's supposed to help with frizz and it seems to work well.
Other than that I use coconut oil or almond oil daily.
Oh, and my goal is mid-thigh :)

Oksana
June 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm 2b/F/ii/iii

My hair goal was waist but it is now hip.

My hair loves CO'ing, honey, being left alone after washing and braiding, it hates protein.

To encourage the waves I leave my hair to dry without combing or brushing, I then use a spray bottle with distilled water mixed with aloe vera and a squirt of conditioner and spray it all over while scrunching. I do this a few times and it really defines my waves:

http://i46.tinypic.com/qs44xs.jpg

I generally like having my hairtype but I get the most dreadful tangles especially by the nape of the neck :( does anyone else suffer from tangles?

pepperminttea
June 29th, 2012, 04:32 AM
You might find the 2a F Support thread (http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36484) useful. :)

starry
June 29th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I'm 2b/F/ii/iii

My hair loves CO'ing, honey, being left alone after washing and braiding, it hates protein.

To encourage the waves I leave my hair to dry without combing or brushing, I then use a spray bottle with distilled water mixed with aloe vera and a squirt of conditioner and spray it all over while scrunching. I do this a few times and it really defines my waves:

I generally like having my hairtype but I get the most dreadful tangles especially by the nape of the neck :( does anyone else suffer from tangles?

omg..yes- its - well for me its harder because of the more curls than waves.. but i get it... :) and its not like you can just comb them out- I get frizz.. it is difficult :)

its still damp but--
http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii575/bunnybush/

starry
June 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM
ok- just changed my sig pic to see my curls...

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM
well the honey helped- it really added shine. I didn't like the feel of it as i said. wo weighs down the curl because of the sebum coating the length.
Iv tried mousse which is ok, I'm going to try aloe vera as we have some plants in the garden. I'm still trying things out...
Im going to try some light oilings. today I'll wo wash and scrunch up my curls and Ill post a pic on this thread.. I still bbb in sections and it tends to draw out the curl as in my pic below.
its not easy having our hair type (s).. dont you think?? not quite this or that... its a challenge and you cant comb properly if you scrunch... apparently you're not supposed to comb at all with curly hair- but bbbing is just fantastic. hmph :D

Oh the aloe sounds intresting... I've got an aloe plant but it's abit immature yet to start breaking it up for that sort of thing... Maybe I should get a bigger one and try it...

yea I cheat with the paddle brush somtimes... I acctually have found that I can extend washes that way...

I'll have a wash day... scruch and finger comb if need be.... then when it starts to look limp I'll pile it up on top of my head and twist and clip it with this claw clip thing I have. When I take that down I'll have duper duper wavy day two hair... then day 3 I can lightly brush with a BBB and it looses the waves and give me this really nice bodywave looking thing... but at that point it's borderline lions mane... lol

My hair stays pretty dry most of the time. It's my scalp that gets crudy feeling. Wash day for me useally happens more because my scalp is feeling yuck than because my hair is looking "bad"

Now on the flip side of that coin when I was brushing it out stright everyday I felt like I had to wash everyday because the oil from my scalp in conjunction with the products I was using would weight it down and make it look fine and limp....

Yea I agree it is difficult being a wavy... Stright and curlies alike seem to look at you like your nuts.. And there is SO little information on how to care for wavy hair .. I went on the naturally curly website cause they have a product review thing where you can put in peramiters.... I put in 2a and shampoo and got 4 product suggestions.. thats it.. and two of those where the Deva Curl which I'm allergic too

Ebrancing the wavy has been a God sent for me though because now I feel like I have options... I also feel like knowing my hair better is making way for treating my hair better...

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I'm 2c F iii also pretty close. My hair is really wavy, borderline curly sometimes.
My hair loves ACV rinses because it makes combing soooo much easier. As for shampoos and conditioner, my hair reacts the same way to any kind I use. No shampoo has ever made my hair better or worse but I'm currently using a lavender poo and conditioner that's sulfate and cone free.Just yesterday I started using Aveda's curl-enhancer that's supposed to help with frizz and it seems to work well.
Other than that I use coconut oil or almond oil daily.
Oh, and my goal is mid-thigh :)

What lavender poo and conditioner are you using? If it's the Avalon Organics that stuff make my hair a hot mess... lol

Aveda use to have super nice products back years ago but I've just not been as impressed with them the last few years... I am certian they changed the forumla of there staple products.... Acctually called out the girl at the salon about it and she told me that awhile back Estee Lauder bought the company.... so yea...

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'm 2b/F/ii/iii

Yea I've noticed protine tends to make mine stiff and too much will give me brakeage... I use to use a leave in with protine and day one it would be nice... I think I just loved the smell too much so I'm making excuses... lol... but I couldnt use it everyday because it would make my hair crunchy.... hated that....

I am hearing tones of stuff about honey... I'm just scared to try it because I'm afraid it will make my hair.. goopy? sticky? ....and I can imagine it would be so hard to get out.... How do you use it?

I'm gonna definatly have to try out your aloe tonic spray though... Your hair is SO beautiful ...LOVE it!

lapushka
June 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
You might find the 2a F Support thread (http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36484) useful. :)

This. ^^

I'm a 2aFiii as well. I'm growing towards classic, and am currently past hip.

Arden
June 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
ok- just changed my sig pic to see my curls...

Look at you miss thang! Check those out :)

Yea I forgot to put my two scents in eirlier about the tangels but I am the WORST in the world for getting those little tiny knots right at the ends of your hair.... I think it's because my hair is so fine and sticks together so much...

Ironically it only seems to happen when I brush though.. If I just finger comb, scrunch and air dry I dont notice them as much

starry
June 30th, 2012, 11:41 PM
I'm trying to go product free- I went to naturally curly and that was where I figured out my hair type.

-I made some floral water today which is fun for spritzing- I can get through day 2 if I spritz and scrunch in the morning.. I think that's about it though- must wash after day two and start again.

- re Stright and curlies alike seem to look at you like your nuts

not only thinking your'e nuts you look nuts with hair flying everywhere like a mad woman lol

re then when it starts to look limp I'll pile it up on top of my head and twist and clip it with this claw clip thing I have. When I take that down I'll have duper duper wavy day two hair... then day 3 I can lightly brush with a BBB and it looses the waves and give me this really nice bodywave looking thing... but at that point it's borderline lions mane... lol

claw Idea good- I want to try pinning it as it dries when it gets longer. Oh! another Idea I had was to put a net over scrunched drying hair and letting it dry. I actually read on the naturally curly website that you can wash your hair with a net on so the curls don't slip.. that was a good one.

IvanaGil
June 30th, 2012, 11:52 PM
What lavender poo and conditioner are you using? If it's the Avalon Organics that stuff make my hair a hot mess... lol

Aveda use to have super nice products back years ago but I've just not been as impressed with them the last few years... I am certian they changed the forumla of there staple products.... Acctually called out the girl at the salon about it and she told me that awhile back Estee Lauder bought the company.... so yea...

I'm using 365 lavender poo and conditioner from Whole foods. Yeah, the Aveda stuff is just okay, not great.

Arden
June 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I'm trying to go product free- I went to naturally curly and that was where I figured out my hair type.

-I made some floral water today which is fun for spritzing- I can get through day 2 if I spritz and scrunch in the morning.. I think that's about it though- must wash after day two and start again.

- re Stright and curlies alike seem to look at you like your nuts

not only thinking your'e nuts you look nuts with hair flying everywhere like a mad woman lol

re then when it starts to look limp I'll pile it up on top of my head and twist and clip it with this claw clip thing I have. When I take that down I'll have duper duper wavy day two hair... then day 3 I can lightly brush with a BBB and it looses the waves and give me this really nice bodywave looking thing... but at that point it's borderline lions mane... lol

claw Idea good- I want to try pinning it as it dries when it gets longer. Oh! another Idea I had was to put a net over scrunched drying hair and letting it dry. I actually read on the naturally curly website that you can wash your hair with a net on so the curls don't slip.. that was a good one.

I tried the hair net idea for drying but I felt like the weight of my hair was pulling it downward making the top a little flat. I read in the CG handbook about using the hairnet to wash if you're a 2a... but I can't seem to get my mind around how exactly you would do that?

I mean getting the poo in? Probably not soo hard. Getting the poo out with my thick mess of hair? lol... probably not... Also the instructions are a little hard to understand in the book cause she says to use the hairnet when washing.. but then she says to put the conditioner on down the length of the hair... um... how?

starry
July 1st, 2012, 12:18 AM
lol would you just scrunch it into the lump of hair at the back?? :) heehee seems tricky

Debra83
July 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM
I'm 2b/F/ii/iii

My hair goal was waist and just recently changed to HIP as well thanks to the Hip 2013 thread!!!! I had been kind of toying with the idea and mentionned it a few times, but it was cemented in that thread!!!

The biggest helps for me, I've discovered is C-W-C, wide tooth comb in the shower, and letting air dry without touching but having used a conditioner as a leave in. The conditioner I use the GF triple nutrition as a leave in, and I haven't noticed excess shedding or breakage or anything. But, I HAVE noticed healthy, shiny hair when I do the proper routine.

The real trick is finding something that works for your hair, and not making it weighed down or greasy. EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT, EXPERIMENT!!! And, have fun with it!!!

Protective styles are a help too to avoid mechanical damage (damage from chairs, coats, seatbelts, brushes, hair ties, or clips), as well as nutritional requirements being met can make a huge difference.

AND most importantly, make sure you share your successes with the rest of us!!!!

Happy Growing!!! :D

p.s. I think my hair changes hair types....I see different people with different hair types, but their hair could be a picture of mine!!! Not sure what I am anymore! Especially using henna!

starry
July 1st, 2012, 04:54 AM
Look at you miss thang! Check those out :)

Yea I forgot to put my two scents in eirlier about the tangels but I am the WORST in the world for getting those little tiny knots right at the ends of your hair.... I think it's because my hair is so fine and sticks together so much...

Ironically it only seems to happen when I brush though.. If I just finger comb, scrunch and air dry I dont notice them as much

ta!!! my fiancee was so happy for my getting my first lhc compliment!!! thanks heaps Arden

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 05:31 AM
I am your twin! Take no notice of my siggi that's been straightened. My routine is simple, just wash with Vatika egg shampoo and follow with a moisturising conditioner, I've been doing a dc after each wash and I wash 3 times a week. My hair is air dried, I don't bother with hair driers but I do straighten about 6 times a year.

My goal is classic too, I'm just at hip at the moment and have grown from a cropped bob/pixie cut which was heavily layered started my journey in 2005 and was just past shoulder length when I joined here in 2007. I trim when I need it as my hair is delicate as its so fine but I don't get too many splits, it just breaks if I don't treat it right.

Good luck with your journey, baby fine hair can and does grow we just need to be extra gentle x

Lauren710
July 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm 1c, maybe 1c/2a, F/iii :) I'm not really sure what my hair goal is yet TBH.. I got a haircut at the beginning of June, last one before that was 1.5 years ago, so right now I have layers that range from chin-length to skimming APL and side bangs. I like the bangs, might maintain them, and grow the layers out to BSL-ish and go from there.

As far as hair type goals, I want to encourage waves, handle my hair less and stretch washes while still having it look good, and a CG routine seems to be helping me accomplish that. Prior to finding LHC and other sources of hair wisdom I was washing my hair daily with shampoo and conditioner and brushing it constantly, and I just assumed it was straight hair that happened to be frizzy and unmanageable. I'm finally able to have second day hair that's not immediately relegated to a ponytail to hide the grease, so it seems my head really likes CO washing and not being constantly touched :D

rosance
September 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I am 2a/2b. I seem to have waves mixed with loose curls. I did not know I had waves until I started my hair journey on 2011, was Bra Strap Length. My longest layer is barely touching Waist Length and my shortest is...shoulder length!!! OMG, I REALLY regret getting that stupid scene hair....%&$#! My hair hates protein. If used heavily, it dries out, gets dull, is difficult to run my fingers through, tangles, breaks, frizzes up, gets limb. It's like poison for my hair. I must do light proteins every now and then (use Aphogee Green Tea Restructurizer about once a week on wet hair). I am also in the process of reviving those waves I still am to fully show off. What seems to be taking me to the right track is plopping my hair after washes and leaving it covered with a t shirt (cotton) until it is 80% dry. I then bring it down and spritz my hair with a mixture of water, aloe vera gel. castor oil, extra virgin coconut oil, and giovanni direct leave in. This spritz is still a work in progress, I just made it about a week ago but seems to be the best "product" my hair has ever tried. then I lightly come in with a creamy leave in for my ends in this hot weather (Herbal essence Long term Relationship Leave in). I am in a journey to tail bone and am excited from hearing from those hair twins.
P.S. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!

Alva
September 16th, 2012, 03:32 AM
2a F ii here, so thinner than yours, 2,75 inches at max. Mine is just past hip, but it has been between TB and Classic in the past. Never reached it though, not because of thin ends, but because I got fed up with it. Wearing it up a lot while I love to have it down. I wanna see now what happens when I get to classic and keep it down as much as I want. My ends were still fairly thick back then, so good hopes it will get there again. I maintain a very simple routine, washing every other day, condition the length with a coneless conditioner. I don't do any S&D anymore, or rarely. Just a trim every 6 to 9 months of max an inch.