PDA

View Full Version : Alright expert long hair advice needed....dying it?

thistledown
June 28th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hi All :)
Just a quick intro before I get into my dilemma, I'm 25 and live in Australia, I have fine lower back length hair (I've been as long as classic, but I like it better lower back)-I have never been shorter than mid-back length. I really like my hair but on the same page I get bored with it.....so I had bangs cut and they have worked out great..but I'm getting restless again, so here is my dilemma..
I don't want to cut my hair and I don't want to dye it darker or blonde but I've recently spotted this girl, and I'm coveting her hair-I love it!
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Deborah+Ann+Woll/Un+Giorno+Questo+Dolore+Ti+Sara+Utile+Photocall/e1ie1hWEZWr

http://www.trueblood-online.com/cast-crew/deborah-ann-woll-cast-crew/deborah-ann-woll-shares-her-hair-secrets/

http://www.theplace2.ru/photos/photo.php?id=320552

http://www.weloveheronline.com/2011/07/deborah-ann-woll-signs-next-movie-role.html

http://www.glutenfreecelebrity.com/2012/04/26/celebrities-with-celiac-disease-deborah-ann-woll/

I'm teetering on the edge on doing it, but here are the pros/cons:
Pros:
*only live once, so why not?
*I really love the colour in an obsessive i-wish-it-was-my-natural-colour way
*Its fun and different
*I haven't dyed my hair for 10+ years

Cons:
*What if I hate it?
*What if it doesn't suit me ,like, at all?
*I haven't dyed my hair in 10+ years, its really healthy
*I have a lot of hair, it's going to take ages to grow out

If my hair was shorter I would've done it yesterday but the thought of growing out 7+ years of hair tends to pull me up a bit (but then again I can always dye it back as close to natural as possible..) and then there's the worry over damage, I never heat treat and my hair is very nice but really would one dye job make it all fall out or be horribly damaged? Likely not. I think I can pull the colour off, I'm pale with grey/green/amber hazel eyes, I do have a bit of pink in my complexion but this is not red enough to bring it out (I don't think..), I was platinum blonde as a child and now as an adult I have either very darkest blonde or lightest brown hair (even hairdressers can't decide) so I'm pretty sure going lighter won't look bad. I never used to go to the hairdresser more than about once per year but now with my bangs I'm in every 4-6 weeks so I guess up keep would be okay....I hate roots! So right now I'm feeling like this :horse:
So opinions, pretty please??
Vanessa

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I would try a wig to compare the color to your skin tone before you take the plunge.

It should be fine as long as your skin doesn't flush red all the time. That's the number one complaint I hear from girls who dyed their hair red. They loved it except when they blushed and if they blushed all the time...

As for damage, if your hair is that light brown/dark blond shade, it shouldn't take much processing at all to get it to that color, but please don't quote me on that.

I love the color and if it suits you and won't take too much processing (according to a professional), go for it.

thistledown
June 28th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks :) I suspect it'll need to be lightened a bit but yeah hopefully nothing too drastic.
Vanessa

akilina
June 28th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hmm if your hair is all natural and you used a permanent dye in the same exact shade, it would work.
Permanent color lifts color, then deposits color. On the other side, since it sounds like your hair is darker than the pics, it isn't as reversible as a demi-permanent dye. And really isn't even an option, unless you just wanted the same shade with a little different tone. I hope that makes sense :)
I put it as simply as possible.
Trying on a wig sounds like a really good idea. Heck, if you could find a salon that also sold wigs (theres one in my town) they let you try on wigs for fun and it would be a great idea. For fun you could even try on a bunch of different colored wigs. You might be surprised and find another color that looks great on you. ;)

TheMechaGinger
June 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Oh my goodness that lady's hair is so gorgeous it's killing me! I'm growing it all out so I can have that color actually

thistledown
June 28th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I know right! Isn't it delicious.......and she dyes it that colour! She's a natural blonde and uses box dye in reddish blonde by loreal (sp?).
Vanessa

Macaroni
June 28th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I'd suggest that you pick up a box, do an allergy test and then a strand test.

kidari
June 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM
She's gorgeous and her hair is incredible. I recommend maybe trying out a semi-permanent color. It may not completely wash out but at least it won't be a huge commitment should you change your mind after it's been done.

I forgot to add that you should consider picking up 2-3 boxes since your hair is long and more than 2 if it's thick or curly.

thistledown
June 29th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately they don't sell that colour in Aus, and as I'll need to lighten a bit I'm leaning towards a professional :)
Vanessa

christyrose
June 29th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I defiantly recommend a professional. I have been dying my hair for 12 years and I have done a lot of box dye in my time. Professional dyes are much less damaging to your hair. With box dye I can barely run my hands through my hair, but professional dye isnt like that. I also had trouble matching certain colors from the box to my hair because of my ash tones... like I have turned my hair gray! I have learned a lot of colors to avoid, but the dye jobs done by my hairdresser always come out exactly how I want it.

On the other hand I finally have my hair all natural for the most part and its so much healthier. I am still dealing with heat damage but even with that it feels better than the dye. Its still soft even when I dont condition, which is huge for me!

Zesty
June 29th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I say go for it, if you want it and go to the salon often anyway for your bangs. Personally I wouldn't because I hate the upkeep of dyed hair, but it sounds like something you really want and that color is pretty gorgeous. Just treat your hair really nice afterwards and it seems like it should be fine. :flower:

thistledown
June 29th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Well I've booked in for a bang trim and a consultation, so if I'm happy and my hair dresser is happy I'll go ahead-if not well no biggy. I might dip dye the last 3 inches or so bright blue or something instead.
Vanessa