PDA

View Full Version : I need some objective eyes please!

elthea
June 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm new, I originally only came to learn to do new hairstyles, and I've learned a lot already. There's so much more information than I ever expected. I've treated my hair so poorly, but I can be taught.

I used to wear braids exclusively, and have been trying out some of the buns and the like. My hair is thin, coarse and curly, it's kind of a nightmare, so I was very excited to have some 'dos that looked sleek and smooth - well, as sleek and smooth as I can get.

However, I've gotten some pushback on the buns from a couple of friends, who claim my hairline at the nape of my neck is weird. It's the one I've always had, so I'm not really seeing it.

Is it weird? Would it be more flattering to go back to braids with tails, or to wear the bun lower on my head? My feelings are not at issue here, so delicacy of expression is not required. :)

http://i.imgur.com/lJvSM.jpg

MissManda
June 28th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way your nape hairline looks. I saw the pictures before I read your description and it never crossed my mind as looking odd in any way. :)

Your bun is totally gorgeous and smooth, by the way. :flower:

Dovetail
June 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
If you mean the small sort of bumpiness then that's what my hair does too, and it's fine as can be. I think the only way I get rid of it is if I lay my head over the armrest of a chair and brush my nape upwards to where the bun will be then kind of gather it and brush some more, but I'm trying to brush anymore since its really bad for my hair.

I think the top looks nice, and the sides, and I think that's what people notice more then the bottom. But like I said, the bottom looks just how mine does right now, and ive never had someone say anything.

Eta: if you mean the actual hairline then I think it looks fine, *shrug* it kinda points down on either side and curves up in the middle, but I just checked and mine does that sort of too but a bit more shallowly. Not much you can do about your hairline anyways, so I wouldn't let it bother you. I don't think it looks weird or OMG MY EYES or anything lol

Vanille_
June 28th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think it looks just fine.

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
It looks good to me. :) I love your tiny little curl on your left side. Nice bun too, so neat!

lapushka
June 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your hairline. Yes, you can definitely see that you have curly hair, but what in the world is wrong with that?

swearnsue
June 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I think your nape looks fine, no different than any other. I like the little graceful curl in one of the pictures though! That is what I wish my nape hairs did instead of stick out. Your hair is very beautiful!

Gingerbear
June 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I have no idea what your friends are talking about. Your hairline is totally normal and looks great. Your hair color is also very pretty. I am jealous! My one suggestion on the bun would be to give it a little more volume by using a hair donut or sock bun.

Demi-Plum
June 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the way your nape hairline. I saw the pictures before I read your description and it never crossed my mind as looking odd in any way. :)

Your bun is totally gorgeous and smooth, by the way. :flower:

I think she's completely right. I didn't even notice it. Not everyone has a precision hairline. And I just checked my own in the mirror and, while my hairline seems to be a bit higher up on my neck, it has an upside down U shape to it as well.

I think you should sport your buns with style and confidence!

elthea
June 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks for your time and kind words then folks, I was getting slightly paranoid over it. I didn't care at all at first, but then it bothered me until I took pictures, lol.

You know how something never bothers you, but then someone mentions something about it, and all of a sudden it really does start looking weird to you?

ratgirldjh
June 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I love your bun! It is so beautiful and shiny! I wish mine would shine like that!

I have way more nape hairs than you do and mine grow farther down - seriously I always have a crop of baby hair's that are like 2" long!

I used to try and force them into buns but eventually gave up when my dbf told me that my neck hairs are cute :D

FrannyG
June 28th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I agree with everyone else. I looked at the photos before reading your question, and your nape-line looks pretty much like anyone else's.

Very pretty bun, by the way. :blossom:

MsBubbles
June 28th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have no unearthly idea what your friends are talking about! Your hairline looks completely normal to me.

dollyfish
June 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
aThe hair at your nape looks totally normal. Perhaps your friends are used to a stylist buzzing theirs? If you grow your hair, that's what your nape will look like. If anything, yours is very orderly as far as that kind of thing goes. My nape is always a flyaway hurricane disaster area (see sig pic lol), not that I mind, I kind of like the chaos.

But yeah, don't worry. Your nape is A-OK. And that bun looks PERFECTO! :D

Cinnamoon
June 28th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Looks great to me. You have beautiful hair!

LaFlor
June 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I don't see the problem. :blossom:

Madora
June 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Your nape hairline looks perfectly natural to me. Lovely bun!

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I think it's lovely, I hope that when my hair is that long in a year or so it will look as good.

AspenSong
June 28th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Um, your hairline is fine!!
Mine is the exact same way! I've got hairs WAY lower than the majority of my hair.

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Who are these people and do they have eyes at the back of their head to make sure their own hairlines are like Barbiedolls?

Snark aside, it looks perfectly normal. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it and because of your post, trust me, I'm looking.

christyrose
June 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Your hair looks great, super healthy as does your hairline. I think your friends are just jealous of your beautiful locks!! :) I am!

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Your hair line looks fine and I like the braided bun by the way.

Diamond.Eyes
June 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
It looks completely normal to me. :flower:

Falcore
June 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Who says something like that? It looks totally normal to me. Don't listen to them!

RileyJane
June 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
i dont think it looks weird :p my thinking is, if it really starts to bother you, you could always trim those baby hairs off so that way you could do ur hair however you please :) i have the same problem, but ehhh i dont really care if they bother other ppl. if someone does say something like that to me ( it happens im french so im naturally hairy) i just say ehhhh, oh well :)

blond_betty
June 28th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I think it looks very nice. :)

Wildcat Diva
June 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
My nape "line" looks like yours. However, my hairs there are too short and wispy though, and I am using monistat on them and smoothing them up. I am liking how your nape hairs are long enough to go into your bun.

AnqeIicDemise
June 28th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Your friends are *crazy*. Your hairline looks beautiful. It may be a little lower than the 'classic' beauties out there but its neat and I adore the little spirals.

My hair is 1b/1c and its stuck in a funky wave pattern. The nape hairs don't curl at all unless I use heat. They also grow *outward* and my hairline is very low (I have thickish hair. I'm still recovering from a bad shed.) In fact.. my 'nape hairs' start right behind my ears. It always looks messy and gross. It feels like my hair is always down because I got these little tuffts of hair that just rub against my neck/back of my ears. It also looks disgusting.

But I can't shave because its such horrible upkeep. I'm seriously considering some electrolysis.

HumanBean
June 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Your hairline is fine. Trust me, cus mine is the same shape, but my sides extend towards my face past me ears (see how your sides end just behind your ears?)

I've never had anyone comment on it though. I hate it for myself because I think it totally distracts from the beauty of any updo. I've been shaving the part below my ear, but that's not a good long term solution so I'm considering Electroylisis.

meishkamooshka
June 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I think your buns look great.....:rolling: Oh, I'm so immature. HAHA.

But seriously, they look so neat and prettyful. I don't see anything wrong with them. Heck, I wish mine looked that good!

spirals
June 29th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Your hairline is totally fine. I will say that due to our bone structure, we both need buns with volume--head-eating buns, as it were.

Jing
June 29th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Nape hairlines are always a bit wonky and blurred, and if they are visible it's usually because the person has a pixie cut (unless you're hanging out with LCHers). I think it might just be that your friends aren't used to seeing nape hairlines where the hair is pulled up into a bun.

christine1989
June 29th, 2012, 01:55 AM
My nape hairline looks totally different however yours looks pretty normal to me. Nape hairlines are much different than front hairlines because they can be really uneven and always look a little "weird" to me. My initial reaction to it wasn't even to look at your hairline- I was so impressed by that perfect, neat bun! :)

Ticky
June 29th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Looks fine to me.

SwordWomanRiona
June 29th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Your hairline is completely fine!! (wondering why your friends think it looks weird :confused:!), and your bun looks lovely and quite sleek :)!

Mesmerise
June 29th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Looks like my hairline, so I guess it's okay!!

I have a friend whose hairline at the front is quite strange and uneven, which I think is more noticeable. Mind you she has the most AWESOME hair ever... so I guess it doesn't matter too much :p.

Hosta
June 29th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Your hairline looks normal to me. Your bun is lovely. Don't listen to your friends, I'm sure they mean well but I think they are wrong.

CurlyMopTop
June 29th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Pretty! Your hairline looks like my hairline. Nothing unusual. :D

spidermom
June 29th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I don't know what your friends are talking about!

catamonica
June 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I think your hair looks fine. Try some dehydrated chopped onion & or minced onion. I read online it makes your hair thicker. It made my hair thicker. I put two capfuls in my shampoo. Adding two cqpfuls of olive oil to shampoo & conditioner will make it softer. And Aloe Vera Gel to the conditioner makes it extra soft. I use a spray bottle of four capfuls of olive oil and water. Leave it on for eight minutes. Then shampoo. It makes your hair softer. I wear a low braided bun. It is very comfortable.

shutterpillar
June 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
If your hairline looks weird, then so does mine because mine looks exactly like yours. ;)