PDA

View Full Version : Conch Shell Braid Falling Out :(

Kristin
June 28th, 2012, 05:57 PM
http://www.modernsalon.com/hair-photos/how-to/The-Conch-Shell-Braid-144938795.html

Anyone familiar with this braid? It's just a French fishtail, but I'm having a difficult time with it because I cannot get it to hold at the top. I start around my hairline, but by the time I've finished all that braiding, the top has fallen and it looks like I started on the back of my head! Tips? TIA!

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Have you tried anti-slip methods like doing it just before you wash or with dry shampoo in?

Otherwise just ignore them and do it tight, it sounds like you hair's slippery enough to self loosen.

HazyMoon
June 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I've actually seen this braid before and had planned on doing it to a friend. I bet some pomade would help a bit.

Kristin
June 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I've tried doing it with dirty hair, adding hairspray, doing it damp,... and I always do fishtails tight since they slip. What about hiding a couple bobby pins in there after the first few rounds?

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I've tried doing it with dirty hair, adding hairspray, doing it damp,... and I always do fishtails tight since they slip. What about hiding a couple bobby pins in there after the first few rounds?

If your hair doesn't eat them then, yes, it might work.

Dovetail
June 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM
It's a lovely braid, I can't wait to see how it looks on you. Maybe you could do some sort of ribbon stitching or something on it?

MissManda
June 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM
It sounds like you might be experiencing a similar problem I had with French fishtail braids. When I'd attempt that style, it would just slide down and flop around and not look nice, even on dirty hair.

I found out that the technique I was using to create the French fishtail needed to be adjusted.

When I first tried to make a French fishtail braid, I would start it out like a normal fishtail for a couple of rotations and then proceeded to add only hair from my hairline in to the opposite side of the braid. I saw a lot of YouTube videos that showed this technique, but it does not have enough security for my slippery hair.

Then I realized that I needed to add an important detail. Once I had my French fishtail started, I would make sure to gather a strand of hair from my hairline AND from the half of the braid that I'd already created. Then I'd just fishtail it as usual. Now this braid looks so much tidier and does not slip nearly as much. This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXh5Wv6z0ho) shows what I mean.

I hope I explained that clearly enough. :flower:

If it's not a technique difficulty, then maybe some mousse or pomade would be helpful.

FrannyG
June 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Well consider this. The stylist:

used texturizing mousse before starting the braid
teased the hair and used hairspray while starting the braid
used shaping cream/wax while doing the braid
finished by using hairsprayIt's no wonder that that braid didn't slip. Generally speaking, French herringbone braids do tend to drape, so unless you use product, you won't get the look that is in that photo.

Of course it isn't necessary to use that much product, likely.

MissManda's technique above will help too.

It really is a gorgeous updo though, isn't it? If you or anyone manages to create a version of that look, I'd love to see it!

Kristin
June 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas! If I have time tomorrow, I'll give it another try and get back to you all!

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'd say the bobby pins and some styling product might help.

Cowgirl16
June 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
It is a lovely braid! I would love for someone to try that on my hair. :D

Just to ask....did anyone read the comments? A woman asked if there was another way to secure the end of the braid and the Columnust suggested LOL! :rant: Seriously how rude:draw:

Masara
June 30th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Once I had my French fishtail started, I would make sure to gather a strand of hair from my hairline AND from the half of the braid that I'd already created. Then I'd just fishtail it as usual.

Brilliant!! I've given up on French fishtail braids because of the slipping. I'm going to try again now. Thank you for the suggestion
Not sure I'll manage the conch shell version on myself though.

Milui Elenath
June 30th, 2012, 03:32 AM
LHC always amazes me with it's coincidences. I am wearing a similar style (not fishtail but french) for the first time today - not sure I am ready to try the fishtail braid version. But I also have problems with fishtails slipping in other styles - I will definitely try this tip. Thanks :)

RileyJane
June 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Try instead of doing a loose braid, try doing the braid as tight as you normally would, then when youre braiding gets past the nape of your neck, pull sections of the braid on your head a little so they become looser. then finish the braid. always works on me, and my hair LOVES to come out of braids :P

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I would try it with a french or lace rope braid and an army of spin pins. I also agree with the braid it as tight as you normally would. The whole point of braids is to be tight and hold at least imo. I think rope would end up close enough to get the look and a two strand braid is a lot easier and less work then a..... 4 strand. Now if fish bone is really four I have no idea but that's what I am calling it so there. :p

Slug Yoga
June 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM
It is a lovely braid! I would love for someone to try that on my hair. :D

Just to ask....did anyone read the comments? A woman asked if there was another way to secure the end of the braid and the Columnust suggested LOL! :rant: Seriously how rude:draw:

It wasn't the columnist, just some random dude as far as I could tell. But seriously, who responds to "I'm having trouble with this hairstyle" with "Hahaha cut your hair off then."

Such a gorgeous style... I'm pretty braid-incompetent and can't even manage a decent french braid on myself, but I'd love to see pics if anyone does this!

Immera
June 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Here is a tutorial from LaDollyVita33 that should be more hair friendly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhxZ6el8aY&list=PLF328B7C305D1780C&index=46&feature=plpp_video