PDA

View Full Version : Smooth and shiny hair

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I am happy to finally be getting my curls back after so long and am SO excited that my poor damaged hair is doing much better but, I also want some shine and smoothness, you know? At home, I have honey, my normal conditioner, coconut oil (which my hair doesn't really like), eggs, mineral oil ,cocoa powder and possibly some vegtable/oilive oil mix. I might be able to find a few other stuff if I'm lucky, but that's what I'm working with. What would be the best DT for smoother, shiner hair? I am thinking of honey (how long to heat it so I don't experience lightening?) and some of my normal conditioner mixed together with some coconut oil possibly. Ideas? What is your go to DT for shiny hair?

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 05:53 PM
The honey has to bubble (I think about 30 sec in the microwave). Your idea sounds good, like an aloe-less SMT. :D

Mesmerise
June 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hmm... this is a bit tricky to answer, because I think some people just HAVE shiny hair and others don't. If you've never had shiny hair, it may just be the way your hair is formed, and while you may be able to put something on your hair to make it appear shinier, if it's not really "shiny" hair, you may not be able to get the look you want, if you know what I mean.

I only say this because it's something I've noticed about hair (particularly kids' hair...as their hair is generally more likely to be virgin and just showing its normal self). Some kids have lovely hair but it doesn't shine at all... while others just has a natural shine to it!

Sorry if that was no help ;). Personally I like adding a bit of coconut oil or something to my hair (very teeny bit), BUT that being said, my hair actually IS sort of shiny when it's sitting right and not boofing everywhere. If I wear my hair in an updo, for example, it looks nice and shiny (part of this may also be henna!). Even when its stupidly fluffing, the individual strands have shine in the way they reflect light. (So my hair is not always smooth AND shiny lol).

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Its not that my hair isn't shiny, it is sometimes, but with the heat damage i have, the shine is very hit or miss. My hair is also a bit coarse, so it isn't super shiny all the time, it basically needs a bit of moisture to shine and look less dull. The honey has to bubble in the microwave, alright, I will do that, then mix it with my conditioner, thanks!

momoftwo708
June 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hi, may I ask how damange your hair was? My hair is a wrecked due to all hair dye. I recently had to cut it from all the breakage, my hair was wsl then bsl then crumbled to apl. I never really had shiny hair, just worrying how Long everyone's unhealthy hair became healthy again

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM
My hair is not noticiably all that damaged (besides being dull at times and a bit dry), but I flat ironed for 4 years so it will take some time for it to be really nice again. It was so terribly dry and needed both protein and moisture for months to the point that it wouldn't curl, my current shampoo and conditioner balances it so I am just lookg for some extra norishment for my hair.

LaFlor
June 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I think the no aloe SMT idea sounds good.

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I warmed the honey up till it bubbled, mixed in conditioner and am about to wash my hair and glop it on. Excited i am!

Rufflebutt
June 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM
My hair is the opposite of fussy.

Honestly I find that the more moisture I give it, the more shiny and soft it is.

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
my hair is only fussy because I flat ironed it for 4 long years, it is less fussy as it gets more and more nourishment.
I'm SO scared this honey treatment lightened my hair...I microwaved the honey for 30 seconds before mixing it in and only left the treatment on for 30 mins, is there any risk of lightening?!

lmfbs
June 28th, 2012, 08:15 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I can't get hold of aloe vera right now either, so just conditioner, honey and coconut oil? Do I need to clarify first?

What about how to mix it? Do I melt the honey and coconut oils into liquids first, then pour them in with the conditioner? Do I apply to wet or dry hair? I assume I cover in clingfilm?

Sorry for all the questions!

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Lots of questions, no problem, don't be sorry. Clarifying or not depends on your hair as of now, I didn't clarify, but i clarified just last week so i had no reason to, I would if you haven't in a while. I just used honey and conditioner because my hair hates coconut oil, but if your hair likes it, use it. So, microwave the honey (a tablespoon or two) for thirty seconds to prevent lightening of the hair, then, mix it into the oil (only use a teaspoon or so of oil depending on how much oil your hair likes before it gets greasy) and conditioner, stir very well until combined. Wash or clarify hair, squeeze out extra water, rub in the mixture until throughly coated, cover in cling wrap or shower cap, let it sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse very well in lukewarm water, let air dry as usual. good luck!

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Lots of questions, no problem, don't be sorry. Clarifying or not depends on your hair as of now, I didn't clarify, but i clarified just last week so i had no reason to, I would if you haven't in a while. I just used honey and conditioner because my hair hates coconut oil, but if your hair likes it, use it. So, microwave the honey (a tablespoon or two) for thirty seconds to prevent lightening of the hair, then, mix it into the oil (only use a teaspoon or so of oil depending on how much oil your hair likes before it gets greasy) and conditioner, stir very well until combined. Wash or clarify hair, squeeze out extra water, rub in the mixture until throughly coated, cover in cling wrap or shower cap, let it sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse very well in lukewarm water, let air dry as usual. good luck!
I don't have any coconut oil but I'm going to try that tonight with the honey! Sounds lovely, and my hair will smell yummy!

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Sadly, the honey scent doesn't really stay in, at least in my hair it didn't but the shine is out of this world! It is truly amazing!

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM
My hair is damaged, and I wouldn't mind the shine.

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 09:03 PM
In that case, honey should be great, it made my hair soft and moisturized, enjoy!

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you for this thread. My oldest daughter has extremely curly and dry hair. Can I use the honey in a leave in for her or would I have to mix it in a rinse out?

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't use honey as a leave in only because it is sticky, but mixed with a fair amount of conditioner (the honey microwaved first to prevent lightening) it will make a heavenly deep treatment for moisture starved curly hair.

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Her hair is going to be thanking me, and I know she is going to smile cause she has never had soft hair like my youngest daughter. Thank you so much for the wonderful tip!

Wildcat Diva
June 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
You can add vegetable glycerin to this mix too!

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
You can add vegetable glycerin to this mix too!
glycerin? You mean like oil? Or could I do olive oil?

Hollyfire3
June 28th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Olive oil would work also, just use a small amount because it is very heavy, maybe a few teaspoons?

Miss Maisie
June 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
My hair is pretty soft and shiny to begin with, but I recently started using jojoba oil, and OMG THE SHINE! Seriously. I use 2 drops when my hair is damp, and there is a remarkable difference in shine, smoothness, and softness. This is definitely my hair's favorite oil (olive oil was good, coconut was just okay, and my hair hated mineral oil).