PDA

View Full Version : It's Getting Hot! What's your go-to style?

Sama
June 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I was outside helping my husband with is car and got a little overheated on this extra-hot day we're having. I only had my hair in a ponytail at the time. When I came in, I was just so hot! I frantically tried to get my hair off my neck and back because as pretty much all of us here at LHC know, all those locks create a thick, hot blanket! Now, that's nice when it's cold out, but when it's hot...essentially wearing a nice thick blanket over your head and neck in the summer heat is just no good!!

My hair is just brushing my hipbones now [hooray! I'm really excited about reaching this milestone!], and is too long to turn to that simple "sloppy bun" that I used almost constantly last summer when I was in a bind [and at around BSL]. At this length, my folded-in-half hair still covers my neck and reaches the tops of my shoulders. Realizing that I was just not going to succeed in getting my hair off my neck quickly without taking the time to wrap it up in some sort of bun, I ran frantically to the bathroom in search of my new butterfly slide. [It was a birthday gift from my husband. :)] I ended up tossing my hair up like this ::

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/wiggy14/summerupdo.jpg

My frantic attempts to come up with a quick and easy way to get my hair up left me wondering what other "long hairs" do in a bind. I would love if you shared some styles with me so I have a solution in mind the next time this happens. Please share in the spirit of this hot season!! :D

AlabasterAlice
June 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
French braid that goes into a bun is by far my favorite style in the heat. It leaves bits of my scalp more exposed which helps keep me cool, but that also means burns on my head if I'm not careful.

DarkCurls
June 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Times like this I wake up already sweaty and need to throw my hair up as quickly as possible, so either:
- cinnabun
- LWB
- hair twisted up and secured with claw clip, "Peacock twist" style I guess.
20 seconds, yes, instantly cooler! :D

Later on in the day if I'm bored of the look and not too hot I will take it down and braid it before putting it up again (French/Dutch braid leading into bun, diagonal variations, combination braids, twin braids into two buns, rose bun...). :p

catamonica
June 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I just wear a low braided bun. Even when I'm sleeping. It keeps me really good.

Long_hair_bear
June 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Usually tossing into a hair sticker bun, though I like Chinese and woven buns too! :)

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I do a wrap in a stick or a half pony. Its simple and easy. And amazingly cool.

Rtzgrl
June 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
A lazy wrap with a hair stick when I'm in a hurry, otherwise a figure 8 bun with spin pins. Both stay up all day. We have been having unbelievable heat this June, several days up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit already. I'm finding myself wishing I was bald at times!

Madora
June 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Lace french crown:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/61912Lacedutchcrown_edited-1.jpg

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
My hairs not long enough yet to really have any cool suggestions but I live on the southern coast and my go to is a pineapple bun. Quick, easy, lets my head breath.

Oh! Or you could try an aphroditie knot! ...I just thought of that... my hair can do it but it's a little short so it often falls down.. but yours looks more than long enough

Rowan Will-o'
June 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
My hair isn't as long, so I usually do a couple of twists, and stick an easy-on-your hair plastic (yes, my deep dark secret, but only for at home) barrette. Sometimes when it is very hot at night, I'll just reposition the barrette at the top of my head and sleep with it up all night. I hate to have hair around my neck when I sleep, or when it is very hot.

I'm in the comfort stage of my life, even though I love hair toys, accessories, and jewelry.

Rowan Will-o'

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Here is a link to a video showing how to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo

it's super duper easy peasy and looks awsome!

she says in the video that it doesnt work for silky hair but mine is fine, silky and short and I can make it work... I'm a wavy though so that might be why?

elfgirl
June 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
My hair is between APL and BSL, and it's usually either in a single regular braid, an orchid bun, or twisted around into a coil and held with a hair elastic. But I got my hair fork in the mail yesterday, so I'm giong to use that more often now :D

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Ok so I got a pic. Sorry its not so good. But you see the basic idea.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w471/CarrieAnneVaught/Untitled.jpg?t=1340922843

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Folded French/Dutch plait held with a leather slide.

ladyfey
June 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gibralter bun way up high on my head (my hair is past knee and this holds well with some bent knitting needles)

spidermom
June 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Most often a really quick and messy equilibrium bun.
Sometimes a Gibralter.
Or 2 or 3 buns instead of 1 to spread the weight.

TheMechaGinger
June 28th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Time for a mini-rant: This summer is destroying my hair. Seriously! I have no a.c in my car and only the passenger window rolls down. So anytime I drive anywhere even if my hair is completely up it is soaked in sweat.
The restaurant that I work in has a broken a.c right now so for the customers it's not awful but for me, I have to run around like a crazy person so I sweat like mad.
And I live in AZ, so it's really really dry outside. So my ends are mega dried out from the heat and my roots are dried out from being soaked in basically salt water 24/7.
I can't shower off all the time (WO washes) to get the sweat out because the extra hard water I have actually worsens my hairs condition. I can't wash it like I normally do (S&C) all the time either, that would probably make it even more dry. I've tried co-washing and even if I rinse it for a million years and massage it all out it makes my hair really limp and gross HALP!

spirals
June 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I still wear mine down because I have the bottom 1/3 thinned out. But when I had almost-waist length, I could just tie a knot in it at the back of my head & it would stay. Actually, I still can. But it's reduced in volume now, so I can get away with it. I wouldn't recommend it for straight hair. I will post it in my avatar later.

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Anything quick and with no loose hair. I'm useless in the heat, so I tend to stay around fans, and any loose hair (like say, with a peacock twist) would dry out and tangle fairly quickly.

GlennaGirl
June 28th, 2012, 05:33 PM
My go-to style at this time of year and with my length hair is a peacock twist with the hair hanging down. When it starts getting hotter (95, 96, 100-and-above-ish) I will be pinning my bangs back too, because in that kind of heat they stick to my head. :)

carrieavaught
June 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Here is a link to a video showing how to do it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo

it's super duper easy peasy and looks awsome!

she says in the video that it doesnt work for silky hair but mine is fine, silky and short and I can make it work... I'm a wavy though so that might be why?
I am so trying this on my daughter! I'll take pics too!

Kristin
June 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
A messy bun based on this tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS5-uFEPq9U

I use 2-4 spin pins to secure it as well. It's fun to play with the front and back (French or Dutch braiding up to the pony, poufs, accent braids, etc...) or stick a flower in it, too.

Vanille_
June 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Someone posted a tutorial where you make a Dutch braid, insert a hair stick vertically through the braid, and wrap the tail of the braid around the hair stick and secure with bobby pins if necessary. It has been a god send in this Louisiana heat.

gracenotes
June 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I've been doing messy buns held with claw clips for the most part. My hair has gotten back to a length where my other usual styles are just not working out!

LaFlor
June 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I usually just do a bun with a claw clip. It's been so hot lately that I've been resorting to that look a lot.

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Pony tail hold it up place french barrette under pony tail let ends hang over the top.

inertia
June 28th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I often end up doing lazy wrap buns while my hair is still wet. I need to wash more frequently during the summer but I can't stand to use a blow-dryer or leave my hair loose to air dry, so I just damp-bun it and go.

jeanniet
June 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I just do the same thing I do all year round: a quick bun like the pencil bun or lazy wrap, or sometimes a braided bun.

MiamiPineapple
June 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
My hair is always in a bun unless I am going out. It's hot here!

Cinnamoon
June 29th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Lazy wrap bun when I'm desperate to get it off my neck NOW. That doesn't always stay for too long, though, so I've mostly been doing cinnabuns lately. (Partly because I can finally do a cinnabun with just my spin pins and a hair tie! Yay!) Oh, and the Chinese bun when I have a bit more time to put it up.

Zindell
June 29th, 2012, 01:23 AM
A french twist fastened with a beak clip.

It's so fast! Just twist the hair upwards, fold the hair and hide in the "hair roll", fasten with the clip. Might not work on too long hair I guess. :D

CurlyMopTop
June 29th, 2012, 04:20 AM
French twist, ponybun, lazy wrap, peacock twist, braids......... I guess I have a lot of go to styles..... I like to switch it up a lot. :D

bunzfan
June 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Erm we are a similar length here are mine, folded braid or a braid wrapped round into a bun fastened with a ficcare ,10 sec bun and a Gibraltar bun i do mine differently if this helps its me in the video:o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy4CjLbPC_U you cansecure all of those with sticks to.

shutterpillar
June 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I keep one or two hairsticks, a clear elastic and a scrunchie with me at all times in the summer, and since I am nearly BSL with crazy layers, my options are limited. It normally goes up in a pencil bun, side braid, french braid, or french braid/topsy-tail thing. basically I start with a french braid and then instead of braiding the length when I get to the top of my neck, I will put it in a topsy-tail and secure with a scrunchie or elastic.

If I have some time in the morning and am feeling particularly elaborate, then I will try some different stick buns or a style from LillithMoon videos on Youtube. :)

It is 103 degrees here today and will remain about that temperature through the weekend (where we will "cool off" into mid-90s) so I am definitely required to get creative lately.

Zesty
June 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
LWB or cinnamon bun for me, most of the time. Sometimes I switch it up with a pinless braided bun or something like that. Or, if I'm going to be out in the sun, I'm forced usually to wear it in a braid so that I can wear my hat.

Nae
June 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Damp/wet bunning of any kind. I usually have a lazy wrap or a cinnabun going on. I put it up within 15 minutes of my shower. The wet hair helps keep me cool all day. It doesn't dry til evening. At night, when it is a little cooler out I take it out and it finishes drying right before bed when it goes right back up into a scrunci sorta top bun thingy for sleeping. I don't want it on my neck at night.

My hair is usually pretty soft and happy in the summer when I do this. (I don't wash the hair every day usually, but when it is really hot I at least rinse the hair down so I can damp bun.)

Vanille_
June 29th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Damp/wet bunning of any kind. I usually have a lazy wrap or a cinnabun going on. I put it up within 15 minutes of my shower. The wet hair helps keep me cool all day. It doesn't dry til evening. At night, when it is a little cooler out I take it out and it finishes drying right before bed when it goes right back up into a scrunci sorta top bun thingy for sleeping. I don't want it on my neck at night.

My hair is usually pretty soft and happy in the summer when I do this. (I don't wash the hair every day usually, but when it is really hot I at least rinse the hair down so I can damp bun.)

I've never considered damp bunning, but you make it look appealing. I will give it a try. My hair is getting long enough that I don't really like it down, but I'm having trouble finding styles that are secure enough to keep up without hair ties. I suck with hair sticks. But my hair is kind of fine and the styles just don't want to stick. Maybe if it was damp, there might be more resistance and control. I'll give it a try

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
My default "oh god gotta get my hair up right now" is a peacock twist with a big jaw clip thing (I really should learn the proper name for those things). Takes maybe 5 seconds, and it's easy peasy. :D

Vanille_
June 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
My default "oh god gotta get my hair up right now" is a peacock twist with a big jaw clip thing (I really should learn the proper name for those things). Takes maybe 5 seconds, and it's easy peasy. :D

That has always been mine too, but as I start passing waist level, I don't like that style as much. It's just not the same. :(

Diamond.Eyes
June 29th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Cinnabun, sockbun, fishtail braid, Dutch braid. :) I'll secure the buns with pins or sticks...when I'm super lazy I'll secure it with a hair-safe elastic. :)

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 10:11 AM
That has always been mine too, but as I start passing waist level, I don't like that style as much. It's just not the same. :(

Yeah, I'm going to need to find better quick-fixes when my hair gets longer! Right now I can get away with this at APL.

Dovetail
June 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Right now I've been trying braided buns using a paranda. My hair still has some layers, and so the paranda keeps them from falling out everywhere, and it helps my bun hold better. It's so humid here that anything on my neck gets all sweaty and nasty! Since I'm trying to stretch washes, I'm trying to keep my hair as clean as I can.

rock007junkie
June 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM
With the heat my go to style are cinnabuns. Keeps hair away from face and forms nice waves in case I need to take it down later.

sugarpixie10988
June 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cinnabun or some sort of braid. I'm pretty updo challenged. :rolleyes: At night if it's the day before I wash, I slather my hair with conditioner which helps keep me cool.

NoRush
June 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM
My hair is pretty short yet but I've been loving french and dutch braids either one in the back or one on each side of my head. :bounce:

KwaveT
June 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I don't have enough hair to do anything with it but leaving it loose since my sides are still too short.

Patty lou
June 29th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Heidi Braids
2 braids pinned across the top of my head.

Patti lou