PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to clarify daily?

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
yesterday I bought this sauve naturals clarifying shampoo for my hair typeing... It says acctually "Daily Clarifying"

Can you use clarifying shampoo everyday?

How bad would it be to do it if you did?

luxepiggy
June 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
It's probably best not to use it at full strength every day; that could be very drying and strip necessary lipids out of your hair. I would dilute it, at the very least!

Alvrodul
June 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I would think that a shampoo that can be used for clarifying would be too harsh for daily use

Asma
June 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Clarifying is very drying to your hair so it's not a good idea to use it daily. (Washing everyday isn't a good idea either)

The shampoo itself could be diluted or something to make it possible for daily use, but then again I don't think it would be called a clarifying shampoo?

caadam
June 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Clarifying every day in general isn't a good idea. Like luxepiggy said, it can be very drying.

The thing about Suave's clarifying shampoo, though, and I think I read this somewhere on LHC (I think ktani wrote about it), is that it's actually not a very good clarifying shampoo overall. It's got sulfates in it, of course, but it has other stuff in it, as well, that kind of inhibit its clarifying properties.

And I found where ktani says this! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1391208&postcount=1574

Suave's clarifying shampoo tends to leave coatings. I also read that sometimes that "squeaky clean" feeling lots of people tend to get when using shampoo (even conditioner!) doesn't always mean that hair is clarified. I actually experienced this recently when I had to clarify my hair due to some product buildup. My hair, though totally clarified, was actually pretty soft! I was rather surprised.

Anyway, just really be mindful. Clarifying too often can create some issues with hair and scalp. I suggest that you might want clarify only when you really need it. "Daily Clarifying" honestly sounds more like a marketing thing than a good idea. lol :p

Madora
June 28th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Since you strip your hair of everything when you clarify, using a clarifying shampoo everyday will ruin your hair in short order.

Clarifying should be done only when your hair needs it..and conditioned afterwards.

battles
June 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Before I was on LHC, I did use a clarifying shampoo daily. :eek: My hair did NOT look pretty.

I would save the clarifying shampoo just for when you do feel you need to clarify and use a more gentle shampoo the rest of the time.

sugarpixie10988
June 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Before I was on LHC, I did use a clarifying shampoo daily. :eek: My hair did NOT look pretty.

I did the same many years ago, it completely trashed my hair.

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I think it would be super drying on my hair. No clue how it would treat your tresses though.

Long_hair_bear
June 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I clarify once a month and I'm a cone user!

spidermom
June 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
If you need to use it daily, dilute it in water.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I was just curious. I had never seen a clarifying shampoo marketed that way.. seemed odd to me. I try not to wash my hair everyday anyway... I have a showercap and only wash when it looks or feels like it needs washing..... I was just having such super second day head after last night, I was wondering... lol

I bought the suave because alot of people commented on here that it did the job and was super cheap.. that and it was the only "clarifying" shampoo I could find at target... I mean litterally the only one out of two isles of hair stuff (not inculding the organic isle that has shampoo but other stuff too

Most websites I found said that although the bottle says "daily" it really isnt a good idea to use it more than once a week if that...

My all time favorite clarifying shampoo was made by Aveda several years back but I think they stopped making it because I havent see it in years

sharonluvscats
June 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I've actually been experimenting on my poor boyfriend with this shampoo. He has very oily hair so I have him use Suave Clarifying every day along with a V05 clarifying conditioner. His hair is less dry but now he has VERY VERY bad dandruff.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I've actually been experimenting on my poor boyfriend with this shampoo. He has very oily hair so I have him use Suave Clarifying every day along with a V05 clarifying conditioner. His hair is less dry but now he has VERY VERY bad dandruff.

I know it sounds counter productive but you might try giving him somthing with more moisture not less...

From my understandinng you scalp over reacts to too much stripping... and I must say that using no to low poo and acv / conditioner helped with my oily issues

jeanniet
June 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I was just curious. I had never seen a clarifying shampoo marketed that way.. seemed odd to me. I try not to wash my hair everyday anyway... I have a showercap and only wash when it looks or feels like it needs washing..... I was just having such super second day head after last night, I was wondering... lol

I bought the suave because alot of people commented on here that it did the job and was super cheap.. that and it was the only "clarifying" shampoo I could find at target... I mean litterally the only one out of two isles of hair stuff (not inculding the organic isle that has shampoo but other stuff too

Most websites I found said that although the bottle says "daily" it really isnt a good idea to use it more than once a week if that...

My all time favorite clarifying shampoo was made by Aveda several years back but I think they stopped making it because I havent see it in years
Any SLS shampoo will clarify. It doesn't have to say "clarifying" on the label. In any case, don't believe everything you read on a label--clarifying daily is likely to have a very bad effect on your hair.

arcane
June 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM
My clarifying shampoo also says it can be used daily but I typically wouldn't. Now I'm trying to fade veggie dye so I am using it every wash but I also only wash once every week to a week and a half and it gets a good conditioning treatment afterwards. And my hair is good, of course my hair loves to be clarified and when I washed it more often I still clarified once every two weeks.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Any SLS shampoo will clarify. It doesn't have to say "clarifying" on the label. In any case, don't believe everything you read on a label--clarifying daily is likely to have a very bad effect on your hair.

Oh? ......well I feel silly ....I had a bottle of paul mitchel in the bathroom I havent used in ages.. I could have just used that... Silly me going to Target and buying my 2 dollar cheapo clarifying shampoo... :doh:

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2012, 09:04 PM

Not exactly. Many, if not most, SLS shampoos have conditioning agents in them (even cones) which deposit on the hair as the shampoo is rinsed away, so the hair isn't really clarified.

That being said, not all shampoos labeled as "clarifying" deserve the label either.

jeanniet
June 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Not exactly. Many, if not most, SLS shampoos have conditioning agents in them (even cones) which deposit on the hair as the shampoo is rinsed away, so the hair isn't really clarified.

That being said, not all shampoos labeled as "clarifying" deserve the label either.
That's true. I hardly ever clarify and one bottle of shampoo lasts a year or more, so I tend to forget the details. I just use a very basic shampoo when I do need to clarify (usually Neutrogena Anti-residue).