PDA

View Full Version : Measure your own hair

Asma
June 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
This might seem random but can any of you actually measure your own hair? I have to get someone to do it for me everytime, and I feel like that isn't too accurate :rolleyes:

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I have a hard time I just look at it and see where its in proportion to my body.

Rowan Will-o'
June 28th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I did my own yesterday when I joined this group. I felt the hair down my back, where it was longest - placed my finger there (holding it) until I put my tape measure there at the lower end of the tape (like 0 to 1"), and then brought the tape measure up the center of my back to the top of my forehead, which is how I cam up with my current measurement of 28, I believe.

Rowan Will-o'

Asma
June 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I did my own yesterday when I joined this group. I felt the hair down my back, where it was longest - placed my finger there (holding it) until I put my tape measure there at the lower end of the tape (like 0 to 1"), and then brought the tape measure up the center of my back to the top of my forehead, which is how I cam up with my current measurement of 28, I believe.

Rowan Will-o'
I never thought of that, seems like a good idea I will definately try that! :)

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM
For me this question is personally difficult because I have such choppy layers at the moment... Are you supose to mesure to the longest hair? Or the longest hair from the front of your head? Or what....?

My hair from the front only reaches my chin, but I say I'm APL because the back longest layer is about there... is that correct?

DarkCurls
June 28th, 2012, 02:59 PM
You can measure however you like, so long as you always do it the same way (if you change each time you can't track your growth). LHC way, though, starts at your hairline, goes over the top of your head and down your back to the end of the longest hair (I think).
I call myself waist because my longest layers are at waist even though the shortest are only APL. The thing is, I look like I have WL hair, not APL, even though I have shorter layers in the front. :p So I measure the longest hairs.

Anyway, I measure my own hair (what would my mother say if I asked her to measure mine!). Before I found a tape measure I would take my earphones (... I couldn't find any string), put one end of the cable at my hairline (in the middle, center part), and mark off LHC-style where my hair stopped. Then I measured it with a ruler.
Now I do the same, but with a tape measure. It's faster. :D I don't have very long hair, but I'm sure I could measure my own until about mid-thigh, which is about finger-tip length (after which it would be more difficult for obvious reasons).

Asma
June 28th, 2012, 02:59 PM
For me this question is personally difficult because I have such choppy layers at the moment... Are you supose to mesure to the longest hair? Or the longest hair from the front of your head? Or what....?

My hair from the front only reaches my chin, but I say I'm APL because the back longest layer is about there... is that correct?

You can measure anyway you like- just to keep track.

I personally stick the tape measure at the front of my hairline/on my forehead and have someone see the number at the back (at the longest hair)-Yeah I think that what's you said

And yes I think you're right when you say you're APL :)

I don't know if I'm making any sense right now *sleepyhead*

Ooh I found a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI&feature=related (skip to about 1:00)

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I have it easy for now and I don't see it changing overmuch, the hair at the front of my hairline is as long as the hair at the back of my head so I take the measuring tape bend at the waist and let my hair hang down, I run my hand down a strand of hair from the front of my hairline down the tape to get my inches. Not sure if it's right but it is what works for me.

Tizzles
June 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I make my husband help me, because I can't do it on my own and get an accurate measurement. You should have seen him the first time I handed him the measuring tape and said "Babe I need to measure my hair", he was like "What?", with this look on his face like he must have heard me wrong. The next few minutes were followed with "Did you make sure the hair was laying straight?" "Are you sure?". He's a pro at it now though :p

Dovetail
June 28th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I use a piece of string, and run it over the top of my head and down my back. Ten I pinch it where my longest hair is. Then I place it next to the tape measure to see how long the string is.

Unless you have like a cloth tape measure. But if you have one of the stiff construction type ones then when you bend it over your head it won't lay flat and so it won't read right.

Jing
June 29th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I haven't meassured since before I hit SL, but I was actually thinking about doing it today by way of mirror or camera timer.

Bagginslover
June 29th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I use a piece of string, and run it over the top of my head and down my back. Ten I pinch it where my longest hair is. Then I place it next to the tape measure to see how long the string is.

Unless you have like a cloth tape measure. But if you have one of the stiff construction type ones then when you bend it over your head it won't lay flat and so it won't read right.

This is what I do too, except since I measure at my desk at work, I measure against a meter rule rather than a tape!! School science depts are fun!

maria_asa
June 29th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I measure myself too. I asked my bf a few times when I first joined here but he got so annoyed by it I quickly decided it was better to do it myself.
I use a cloth tape measure but since my hair has gotten longer I can't just let it hang over my head and grab it where my ends are. Instead I grab both the tape measure and my hair about half way down and then, carefully not to move the hair, I bring it to the front and check the ends against the tape measure. It's kind of the same technique as for self trimming, I just measure instead of cut :silly:

ladylowtide
June 29th, 2012, 03:00 AM
My sweetie measures my hair for me. He rolls his eyes but humors me.

Mirsha
June 29th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Camera timer. Easy as 1-2-3 :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/No-Eyes/LHC-1070051.jpg

Zesty
June 29th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I measure myself with a cloth tape measure. I hold one end at my hairline and let the rest drape over my head down my back, then I use the other hand to pinch where my ends are. I usually do it three times to check that I've gotten it right. Works well enough for me, but if I were trying to be more precise I could understand recruiting someone to help.

FrannyG
June 29th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I can quite easily measure my own hair with a cloth measuring tape, but there were some lengths where it was a bit trickier than it is now.

dollyfish
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Rowan Will-o'

This is basically what I do. I have a super long cloth measure, so I just place one end at my hair line and flip it over my head. I grab the longest part of my length and hold the tape measure where my hair ends, and then bring it around to look at it. Not the most accurate method, but I'm trying not to fret over small differences. I only really update my "length" when it reaches a body mark goal, or when the number of inches is so obviously bigger that I make a note on my calendar :)

IvanaGil
June 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Yup. I measure my hair all the time just by feeling my hand down along my back with the measuring tape against my hair. Occasionally I'll have my DH measure for me just to make sure I'm in the right realm of inches :)