PDA

View Full Version : Wear hair DOWN for a month challenge

Dizzy_zzz
June 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
So, I've seen the "Wear hair up for a month" challenge, but what about those people who have trouble wearing their hair down? I challenge you to let your locks loose for a month!
Incentive: now that it's summer, there's no more jacket collars to get strands stuck in. :p

Anybody ready to face the challenge? :guns:

caadam
June 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't do this challenge because my hair would get terribly tangled if I leave it down. lol And it does; if I leave it down for twenty minutes, I'll have a good amount of tangles to get through, and that means the potential for damage. :p

However, I'm sure some people will join you in time. Good luck!

EndlessSunshine
June 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
This would be a "Try to not get food in my hair" challenge. lol Good luck!

Dizzy_zzz
June 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Ick, that's a very good reason not to do it! Thank you for your reply. :)

Maybe I should make a few amendments:

-If your hair is super tangly, don't feel pressured to join
-Half-ups are fine (and pin-backs, what have you)
-I'm debating whether or not braids should count, because braids are technically 'down'
-When you NEED to put it up for safety reasons and such, by all means go ahead, but try and keep *down* the main, everyday style.
Another incentive:

It will give your poor scalp a break from having your hair pulled back all the time so and potentially help with hair loss.

Show off the pretty locks you've worked so hard on growing! :D

bunzfan
June 28th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I'm now trying to do this 3 days a week if i don't get to hot.

Dizzy_zzz
June 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm now trying to do this 3 days a week if i don't get to hot.

Yay! Welcome to the (club?) challenge!

WaitingSoLong
June 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'd have to chop it all off at the end of the month if I did this. I am curious if anyone past waist can do this. Maybe if I sat still all day every day but I work in a kitchen and at home I am outside doing yardwork, mowing, or cooking inside, it wouldn't actually be SAFE for me to do this and plus it is against rules for working in a kitchen anyway.

I like the idea, though, and will watch to see who does this.

sun-kissed
June 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'd love to, but my already broken hair would murder me. :D Have fun though!

Dizzy_zzz
June 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'd have to chop it all off at the end of the month if I did this. I am curious if anyone past waist can do this. Maybe if I sat still all day every day but I work in a kitchen and at home I am outside doing yardwork, mowing, or cooking inside, it wouldn't actually be SAFE for me to do this and plus it is against rules for working in a kitchen anyway.

I'm hip, and I'm hoping I can manage at this length, though it's not all that much longer than waist, I suppose, for me.

Thanks for your interest and your reply! :)

Dizzy_zzz
June 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'd love to, but my already broken hair would murder me. :D Have fun though!

Hehe, thanks!

Ticky
June 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I would, however the heat makes me want to do bad things in general. But I practically wear it down-ish all the time, since it's mostly in a braid, half up or down, with an occasional bun looking thing.

IvanaGil
June 28th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Ouch wearin my hair down longer than a few hours is the perfect recipe for massive dread-like knots. Good luck to anyone brave enough to do this one!

DarkCurls
June 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I think it's a good idea. :) I realise that there are problems with tangles, damage, etc at excessive lengths, and that putting your hair up is a good way to avoid that, but I think learning to deal with your hair when it's down is possible... and I love the look of long hair when it's down... Though I'd try more like "a week" at first, rather than a month, because ouch for tangle-prone hair.

I'd join, except it wouldn't be much of a challenge to me because I wear my hair down every single day (which is why I'm on the other challenge :p). I just like my hair better down.

akilina
June 28th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Oh ahah I think I have already been doing this for the last 5 years :D
I hate wearing my hair up so much!
Mostly because I feel like I look ugly like that.

Soltimus
June 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
You know what, I think I'll accept this challenge :D
I wear my hair up every single day, and have done so for a few years now with more or less no exception. Today my boyfriend told he how much he liked to see my hair when it was down so I left it there as an experiment. I'd like to see if wearing my hair down will drive me nuts or not, ha ha, so I'm game.

dollyfish
June 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I already wear my hair down every day! Though it's getting to the length where I probably shouldn't... I just can't stand how my head and face look without my hair to buffer and distract!

I'd suggest for the rules of this challenge that temporary updos are kosher. Say, when eating, or driving with the windows down! Those are the only times I put my hair up :p

italianamama
June 28th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I think braids should count as "down!" I rarely wear my hair in a bun because I prefer braids. And because I had to wear my hair in a bun every workday for five years when I was in the Marine Corps, and I am no longer enamored of the style. At least a braid shows off most of my length!

Plus, I'm lazy. I usually braid in the morning and before bed, with a quick scalp massage beforehand and it goes back in the braid. Maybe a little fingercombing. I digress.

So make braids count and I'll join you! I have to keep the strands tied up anyway, to keep my hands out of it. I'm a chronic hair twirler :/

Diamond.Eyes
June 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ha, I wish I could but I know my hair would be very damaged at the end of the month. Plus, I would proabably get it in my mouth quite often, get it caught in things, it would get dirty a lot sooner, and it would be effected by the extreme heat where I live. Let us know how it works out. :flower:

blaketob
June 28th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'll join :) I kinda never wear my hair up though so its not much of a challenge :p

Henrietta
July 2nd, 2012, 02:23 PM

I feel similarly. Apart from having seven tons of food in my hair (a bonus for having it on my face. I'm a total child when it comes to eating things while walking, so I have hot dogs and stuff like that everywhere between my hairline and my chin :D ) I would probably have it damaged. Too much friction, wind (=tangles=more combing=more damage), touching...
But I'm waiting for the brave ones to see how they're doing! :)

catamonica
July 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
I would worry about split ends. It would take longer to grow. Only once in a while, I wear it down

Pumpkin3826
December 26th, 2016, 12:29 PM
I love this!!!

I liked the idea of the hair up challenge because once you have done it and you decide to wear your hair down it will seem so much longer since you are not used to seeing it down. I just don't like wearing my hair up so that one was a bust for me.

What is the point of having long hair if you never wear it down? How are you going to enjoy all your efforts of growing your hair out if it is always in a bun?

I just carry a brush with me to work and I brush it out on lunch break and I am good to go all day! I have learned that I subconsciously toss all my hair over one shoulder.. I guess if I get too hot or busy and work I gather it and pull it all to one side. Then I notice about 10 minutes later that all my hair is on one side. Haha. My favorite thing then to do is to push it all behind my shoulders and I get to feel where it lands on my back as a reminder that it is growing because you get to feel it hit lower and lower on your back!!! :happydance:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 26th, 2016, 04:26 PM
So, are many people doing this? I couldn't because

At fingertip plus length it would catch on everything
I would get fed up with it always being in the way
I would get much too hot, it's like wearing a thick blanket
It would tangle every five minutes
The cat would tangle himself up in it
Even if I'm sitting down and have it in my lap, it then still disappears under my thighs....
It would drive me crazy getting everywhere and i would have to chop it off.

Just - not practical.

But I do LOVE the idea of wearing my hair down, I agree that it is so romantic.

To the question "Why have long hair if you never wear it down?" I say that you can't do awesome updos and variety of styles unless you have long hair. It is still on display, just in a different way. Plus it is protected from damage, unlike if it is worn loose.

I'm enjoying this thread, to see who successfully wears their hair loose.

yahirwaO.o
December 26th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I love wearing mine down and nice!!!!

I hardly ever put it up now and when I do I just feel annoyed and not comfortable. I like it to be all directions and such. Mine isnt rally long (reaching BSL chest) but I can't never bother with buns or braids! Done it before, made me reach a very nice lenght but Im more me with it loose, flowy and enjoying it like a hapy hippie!!!!

Upside Down
December 27th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Even I can't wear it down all the time for a month. I wear it down very often, but never for the whole day!
It is simply not practical. Usually I wear it down for work or if I go out in the afternoon or evening.

I did once for a training and it was surprisingly not too uncomfortable, but I still prefer to have it up. And I also never wear it down when I am out and about with my son, because I am always bending down and squatting picking things and him up etc. At home also, always bunned. It is more practical that way!

But I remember a very nice thread "wearing hair down - a group project" or a similar name, it was about wearing it down to enjoy it more often with personal boundaries as to how much.

catabear
December 27th, 2016, 02:07 PM
I love wearing my hair down, but usually sometime throughout the day I end up putting it in a braid because it gets EVERYWHERE, not to mention it gets caught on EVERYTHING - car door, door knobs, zippers, my boyfriend.... haha!

Seija
December 27th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Once mine stops looking like a mullet, I'm going to try this. If I had hair like most of you, I'd never want to wear it up :(

Tassledown
December 27th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I think this would be a cool challenge to try sometime just to try out different half-up hairstyles I've had my eye on - but I definitely couldn't do every day (unless it was braided) because by the end of the week my hair just does not look good - but then again, it'd be interesting to see if I could manage it.

I just definitely do not have the spoons for it anytime soon. Once I'm back in school maybe.

If anyone does do this I'd totally want to see the different styles they use to do it, though!

school of fish
December 27th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Hey, looks like I've aced this challenge many times over already, hahaha!!

I do already wear it down pretty much all the time, at TBL and with great success. Sure it tangles so I have to comb/TT it out a few times a day, and sure I do have to remain vigilant about not letting it get caught in things, but I prefer to display it down so I've made the little adjustments and accomodations as length has grown. I'm also not growing past where I am now so I don't have to think so much in terms of 'saving' my ends for the future as I would if I were, for example, growing to terminal ;)

I'm pretty sure also that my natural texture allows me to wear it down as I please - it really doesn't take me that long to detangle and it's slippery enough that it tends to slide free of things before it gets too tangled up in them, so I'm well aware that down-wearing might not be as straightforward for some others as it is for me. For those with other textures, 30 days down might present a far greater challenge! ;)

Curious to see how people manage through their 30 days :)