PDA

View Full Version : How has pregnancy affected your hair?

Tehillim408
June 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Ever since becoming pregnant almost nine months ago (my due date is next week!), my hair has been healthier and longer than ever. It no longer gets greasy, and can go a week without washing and still look clean. It has grown a couple of inches, although I did not monitor the growth each month so see how fast it grew.

Also, my skin has never looked better! Not a single breakout or pimple. I love being pregnant :) Well, most of the time anyway.

What about you? Did pregnancy change your hair for the better? For the worse? Did it alter your hair's texture at all?

LaFlor
June 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM
With both of my other pregnancies my hair grew faster and was much fuller and prettier. I never had a shed afterward either... I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

This pregnancy my hair seems happy... but I still have another 4 months, so I hope I end up with the same results as last time :D

My skin hates pregnancy :( Break-out city... and after birth it gets worse for a while.

Kayla Nyx
June 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
With my mom, she said I turned her hair more curly, and her hair became course. also, she was 20 years old when she gave birth, and I gave her gray hair! sorry mom. :D

Rosetta
June 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM
My hair also grew faster in both of my pregnancies, especially the latter, but don't remember any change in texture really. I didn't have a shed afterwards either, guess I was lucky! I think my hair did get greasy faster, though.

Good luck & congratulations on your impending birth & baby, Tehillim408! :)

clarinette
June 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM
First pregnancy : nothing much that I remember , but it was 10 years ago and I wasn't hair obsessed.
Second one two years ago: my hair started morphing from 1a to what it is now, sort of wavy; and it's still evolving ....strange :)

Tigermama
June 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Congratualtions! So excited for your little sweetheart to arrive! Mine grew super fast. I had two babies in a row, with the best hair of my life being the time after the second one. Long and super shiny! For me I learned that the time AFTER pregnancy is just as important for your health. It's easy to forget about Mom's nutrition while the baby is little, but your body needs special care too, like great meals and lots of water and sleep. Those things can also effect the awesome new hair that we grew while pregnant! I forgot that with my first two, and dont want to do that again.

Tehillim408
June 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Congratualtions! So excited for your little sweetheart to arrive! Mine grew super fast. I had two babies in a row, with the best hair of my life being the time after the second one. Long and super shiny! For me I learned that the time AFTER pregnancy is just as important for your health. It's easy to forget about Mom's nutrition while the baby is little, but your body needs special care too, like great meals and lots of water and sleep. Those things can also effect the awesome new hair that we grew while pregnant! I forgot that with my first two, and dont want to do that again.

And good tips!

Sundial
June 28th, 2012, 09:34 AM
During the first few weeks of pregnancy, I shed heavily. But thereafter, it has stabilized and it feels like everything is back to normal. I haven't noticed any increase in growth or thickness.

Sama
June 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
My hair was happier than ever during pregnancy! :) I think the prenatal vitamins helped, but I also think there was just something about being pregnant that led to thick, shiny, healthy hair, and my clear skin. After my daughter was born, I did have some shed but my hair didn't thin out or anything like that. I still take prenatal vitamins [3 years later, ha] and I know it helps my hair but there was definitely something special about pregnancy that really nourished my hair.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Ever since becoming pregnant almost nine months ago (my due date is next week!), my hair has been healthier and longer than ever. It no longer gets greasy, and can go a week without washing and still look clean. It has grown a couple of inches, although I did not monitor the growth each month so see how fast it grew.

Also, my skin has never looked better! Not a single breakout or pimple. I love being pregnant :) Well, most of the time anyway.

What about you? Did pregnancy change your hair for the better? For the worse? Did it alter your hair's texture at all?

Not to be a bummer, but dont get too excited. After both my children where bone my hair went to crap for almost 2 years. They will tell you a few months is more "average" but both my children where almost two before it started to calm down...

Yes my hair did get thicker and fuller during pregnancy... The science behind it is that your fallout slows down during pregnancy... After pregnancy?? Let the fall out begin!

Inozz
June 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
My hair got more wave after each baby. I nearly had ringlets after my second baby when I cut my hair jaw length. I don't recall how it look otherwise.

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
My hair was wavy before I had my kids now it's springy spiral curls, I did notice more growth but I wasn't checking so I couldn't tell you how much, I noticed less fall out during but a fair amount after each baby, my family does a seasonal shed in spring though so seeing more hair fall out is not a major panic attack for me. Best of luck to you soon to be mammas out there! Remember keeping your hair up and away from tiny hands is a very good thing!

Rufflebutt
June 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Before my mother was pregnant, she was blonde. After she had me, her hair turned deep brown. XD Funny how hormones do things like that.

poppy81
June 28th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I noticed my hair was thicker, I noticed it especially when I tied my hair up in a pony tail. It seemed to grow longer after my daughter was born, now looking back at photos I can't believe I didn't notice how long my hair had gotten. I felt like I needed a change after my daughter was born so that's when I chopped my hair. A downside to my pregnancy in relation to hair was I got terrible psoriasis in my scalp that I had to see a dermatologist for, it was very embarrassing for me, it was pretty bad.
But my skin was perfect!!

blond_betty
June 29th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Yes my hair did get thicker and fuller during pregnancy... The science behind it is that your fallout slows down during pregnancy... After pregnancy?? Let the fall out begin!

Ah yes, the memory of having a comb full of hair and crying to Husband asking him to check my head for bald spots...ha ha!

On the skin aspect, my pregnancy evened my hormones out I guess. (The endocrinologist told me my moderate to severe acne was because I have slightly more testosterone than estrogen in my system.) Not sure if I totally believe that though.:confused:

GlennaGirl
June 29th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Oh my goodness, when I was pregnant I had GREAT hair. :p I have never, ever been able to call my hair "lush"...except when I was pregnant. Just not very much fell out during that time.

After I had my children, all those hairs did fall out, but I was left with what I'd had before I got pregnant, so for me it wasn't too big a deal.