PDA

View Full Version : Motivations for not dyeing your hair

natural_shine
June 28th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I think I'm not the only one experiencing this a lot. Hair grows, I like it, but I feel a lot or urges to do something to it. Like coloring it. The temptation is big. But everytime I dye it, I regret it, and after it grows more, I regret it more thinking "oh look how much virgin lenght I could have had if I hadn't dye it!" Frustrating!

How do you stop yourself, yow do you "guard" your hair's virginity? LOL :guns:
What are your motivations and tips? :D

Ishje
June 28th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I came to like my own hair color a lot ^^
also it feels softer and more healty, and it is nice an thick :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 28th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I didn't guard mine am now stuck with trying to figure out how to let my sparklies shine forth without the whole lot looking too wierd - silver sparklies on medium brown anyone?

skyblue
June 28th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I shed a lot of hair for some reason when I color, so that right there is my motivation to not touch the stuff ;)

Bianca
June 28th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I know how u feel. I love my natural color, but sometimes the urge to do something new just takes over. Thankfully I have only used semi dye, and some depositing conditioner in copper, but now that I cant get it all out, like I could with the semi, I am missing my natural color like crazy. (just like the last time I went red). I will never learn ;) So no tips really, maybe just try and remember, how u regretted it last time.

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Cultivate laziness. ;)

Pixie0763
June 28th, 2012, 05:14 AM
1) Permanent hair color dries my hair horribly. 2) I have natural red undertones, and no matter what shade I used to color it, permanent dyes always faded very brassy orange! Those are my motivation not to dye my hair.

Having said that, I have used conventional temporary or semi-permanent dyes without these problems. :)

johnnystiletto
June 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I used to dye my hair ALL the time; I lightened it, I highlighted it, and I even darkened it. I always thought that my brown hair was SO boring - now I've grown to love it AND the crazy red natural highlights I have that become REALLY noticeable in the sun.

Whenever I get that 'urge' again, I think about allllllll of the money I used to spend on having my hair colored, and I also think back to how I had to chop my hair from hip length to JUST touching the shoulders because of dye damage/growing out the color. Finally, I think about how the dye completely obscured my natural highlights and I think back to how dull and flat my hair ended up looking after multiple rounds with dye!

door72067
June 28th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I've been dye-free since last October and my motivation is all the lovely baby hairs that keep sprouting ....I was frying my hairline and never knew

Cultivate laziness. ;)

I have to admit, *laziness* is strongly becoming a motivating factor...I can't imagine giving up my time to coloring any more

Vampyria
June 28th, 2012, 05:47 AM
It helps me to think about chemicals that dyes have (last time I used it I had a headache for a week), and about the state my hair was in when I was dyeing it. My hair is thicker now, it doesn't break or split. And I just want to use the products that are not tested on animals, and chemical dyes don't really fall in that category.

I also get the urges to use henna, but then I think that my hair is too dark to get the color I want, and how terrible it would be, if I had to grow out the unnatural looking red dye again.

kidari
June 28th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I just think about how much I hate touching up the roots every month and that's enough. Also, I just remember doing the ombre look last summer and how it completely compromised the condition of my hair and the major difference in the hemline. It was so horrible, because the bleached parts were a totally different texture and my hemline was super thin. Now that all of that has been freshly chopped off my hair is silkier, thicker, and shinier so I will never mess with that ever again.

*ETA* I do touch up my roots only with regular dye though. It's a color that matches my natural color to cover up my premature greying. My hair grows fast and it's a total pain to touch up the greys every month. I remember how much more annoying and expensive it was to maintain a completely different hair color at the salon.

Rufflebutt
June 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I started dying my hair black a year ago and I've finally quit. I'm just tired of the upkeep and I want my old hair-color back.

starry
June 28th, 2012, 06:24 AM
i just stopped- i dunno... it has to be cut off later on if I dye it - so that's in the back of my mind if i do (not that I want to a lot)..

also life's too short to put off what you want I've dyed it for years and cut it for years- I want something different now- dyeing is a lot of hassle and its damaging. Also my fiancee says "no." lol.

Madora
June 28th, 2012, 06:47 AM
1 The smell
2 The mess
3 The time
4 The necessity to keep up with dyeing when roots need retouching
5 The cost
6 My hair is beautiful in its natural state. Why mess with it?!

longNred
June 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
It helps me to think about chemicals that dyes have (last time I used it I had a headache for a week), and about the state my hair was in when I was dyeing it. My hair is thicker now, it doesn't break or split. And I just want to use the products that are not tested on animals, and chemical dyes don't really fall in that category.

this is my motivation too. I simply can't bring myself to douse my head in horrific chemicals. not good for your hair or your health.

So I henna, as I'm already a natural auburn, it made sense to go this route.

Long_hair_bear
June 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I just remember that I want to let it grow without damaging it. I have to tell myself this ALOT because I loved my purple hair. :(

Zesty
June 28th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Cultivate laziness. ;)
This, a thousand times over. I could never dye my hair because of the upkeep.

Tigermama
June 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I stop myself by imagining a giant bun on the top of my head. I know the dye will weaken my hair and I have put so many hours into trying to preserve it.

jillosity
June 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
just do a search for "henna removal" or better yet, "henndigo removal" and read what people like me are doing to try and remove it! That's inspiration enough!

I think after 20+ years of coloring my hair, I am ready to embrace my natural color, with the help of cassia and/or henna glosses from time to time ;)

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cultivate laziness. ;)

LOL, this! And cheapness as well, that helps.

EndlessSunshine
June 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I didn't guard mine am now stuck with trying to figure out how to let my sparklies shine forth without the whole lot looking too wierd - silver sparklies on medium brown anyone?
I have a few of those and I am 26, just be happy they sparkle!

LaFlor
June 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
1) I keep a file of beautiful long hair photos of people with the same hair color as me for inspiration. This works 95% of the time to deter me from dye.

2) Use semi's when I really want a change to go darker. I'm usually pretty happy to see my regular color again after the week is over.

3) LAST RESORT: I know this is cheating, but when I'm feeling really in need of a lighter change I get a few highlights put in. My hair is still mostly virgin, but with a little extra pop to keep my color urges satisfied. Plus growing out highlights isn't as big as a pain as growing out dye since they blend in pretty well with my hair.

einna
June 28th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have been growing out dye for about 3 (!!) years now. I only have a few inches left. There are many things that motivate me no stay away from the dye:

- I really want to see what my hair looks and feels like 100% virgin.
- My hair is so much stronger virgin. Focusing on hair health.
- Natural color variations and highlights <3
- Motivational pics
- The thread here on growing out dye
- LHC in general.
- Laziness
- Saving time, energy and money. Use money on hair toys and products instead. ;D

juliaxena
June 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Two words: split ends.

spidermom
June 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM

See Xandergrammy. When she decided she wanted to go natural, she simply stopped dyeing it.

spidermom
June 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM
It helps that I love the silvery blonde color I'm getting. My original color of a mid-range golden blonde always had so many admirers that it seemed a shame to mess with it, although I did experiment with bleaching, temporary red dye, and henna.

When I'm really up for a change these days, I go crazy and use a Manic Panic type color. So far, I've used red-violet, turquoise, and purple. These always fade out right about the time I'm ready to live with my own color again (3-4 months).

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Try going for a stain instead? I am resisiting the urge myself, I have a box of black, a jar of henna and a jar of purple manic panic in my house that I somehow have not yet parted with... I also have about two and a half inches of my natural color since I stopped the dye in February. I really don't want to give that progress up.

Best of luck to you!

Bunnysaur
June 28th, 2012, 01:44 PM
It helped me a lot to realize that I don't quite remember what my natural color looks like.

christyrose
June 28th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I am at the same point, but I keep fighting the urge because I know in the end I will regret it!

RileyJane
June 28th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Well it was hard for me at first, bc I got into the habit of always wanting to try something new. But that urge subsides. What helped me get the point of wanting and loving my virgin hair is looking at pictures ( even if you're Googling it) id your natural color, it helps show the natural beauty ofyour own hair! Also, LHC definitely helps when seeing all the lovely pictures of long, beautiful healthy virgin hair! So give it a try, ams trust me that urge will go away :)
P.s. also look at your friends hair if they're am avid dyer, you can literally see the horrible damage that comes with dying it! So resist if you want the healthiest and naturally shiny hair possible :)

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I went from dye junkie to dye free in two years.

Reasons not to dye?

-Better health
-Not having to stress over touch up's
-Savings of 120 dollars (or more) per hair appointment
-Less frequent need for hair appointmenst
-Less trimming by that same stylest who's wrecking your hair with chemicals

Motivations to keep from going back when the tempation strikes?

See above

Anje
June 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I intend to have long silver hair one day, and I emphatically don't want to have to grow out a bold line of demarcation to get it. So I'm growing the henna out now while it still blends in well....

I still consider wild vegetable dyes like Manic Panic to be fair game, though. I may pick up a pot of something in traffic cone orange one of these days to tint my hair toward something a bit more fiery.

Tota
June 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I don't want dye to touch my hair ever again because it took sooooo long to grow it out. The last three years were very painful hairwise but now I'm proud and happy that I made it ;) I also very much like that I don't have to dye my roots every month. I'm quite lazy when it comes to my looks or as my mother calls it - bohemian lol. I also love that my virgin hair is ten times stronger and shinier my dyed hair ever was. And for the first time in my life I got to the length I was never able to achieve while dying my hair (splits, dry ends - constant snip-snip). I also like the fact that I'm a rarity in my surroundings and that many people now admire my hair even more because women my age with virgin (longish) hair are rare here. Well some admire me and others ridicule me but that's another story.

jacqueline101
June 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I found I like bling strand and other things better.

Rowan Will-o'
June 28th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry everyone, but my motivation is to color my hair, as I don't want to be a totally gray/white 65-year old, when I can have luscious red hair (from the bottle). Does coloring really cause the hair not to grow so much? Mine appears to be getting longer (maybe not as fast as I would like), but the only drawback seems to be hair not quite as healthy. And, at this point, if I let it go natural, it would like really silly until all the red was cut (oh, no, no no).

Rowan Will-o'

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Sorry everyone, but my motivation is to color my hair, as I don't want to be a totally gray/white 65-year old, when I can have luscious red hair (from the bottle). Does coloring really cause the hair not to grow so much? Mine appears to be getting longer (maybe not as fast as I would like), but the only drawback seems to be hair not quite as healthy. And, at this point, if I let it go natural, it would like really silly until all the red was cut (oh, no, no no).

Rowan Will-o'

If you like your hair with color, color it... but I would think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say it's healthy for your hair..

gillybeanxo3921
June 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
A lot of my friends dye their hair, and usually it makes their hair dry, crunchy, dull, tangly.. it's not worth it, unless you really don't like your color. One of my friends had such beautiful long hair, and then my other friend got bored and wanted to dye it for her. It was supposed to be auburn but it came out an unnatural purple-ish color. It lost a lot of shine and softness, and she ended up cutting it back to shoulder length once it had faded a bit.

Ligeia_13
June 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
..not having to give out money for hair dye all the time? :o Right now that would probably be my main reason.

natural_shine
June 28th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thnx everybody. I'm really resisting.

I found somebody who wants me to put that Caca Noir I bought on her head. So it won't tempt me so closely anymore. And I'll get to play with hair, LOL

Thnx for the advices, they;re all really helpful.

Heatherzilla
June 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Laziness seems like a pretty good motivating factor. I have henna ready to goop on my head and I'm currently psyching myself up to actually go do it. I love the colour and how it makes my hair feel, but yeah upkeep is lame.

dwell_in_safety
June 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
It feels softer, is shinier, and tapers much less. I can't wait to get rid of my dyed hair and have softer, shinier hair that actually looks iii in thickness, rather than ii due to extreme taper.

Jeno86
June 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I've stopped dying my hair due to how unhealthy all the dying was. Also I'm pretty lazy and the upkeep was more than I wanted to deal with anymore. Another reason was I wanted to see my natural color again.

palaeoqueen
July 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM
I have finally lost the desire to dye my hair but if I ever waver just one look at the dry, splitting ends ought to do the trick! My bank account is also a lot happier since I stopped dying my hair.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I quite like my hair colour :)

And I'm scared of dying my hair.

Oh, and the only 2 times I've done, it f'd with my hair health and curl pattern.

IndigoOptimist
July 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I loved dying my hair once upon a time and still get the temptation to change it now!
I use toners/tints now. Wash-in wash-out jobbies which just sit on top of the hair and come out after a few weeks that are meant for bringing out that natural tones in your hair. I also like Manic Panic and other such 'natural'/gentle dyes for brighter colours like blue/green/red/pink ect :)
I don't think I can stop dying my hair completely, but doing so in a less damaging way is better :)

betsb
July 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've dyed my hair because of the grays but if I had a choice I'd leave it natural. I love the different highlights natural hair has, I don't have that anymore.