PDA

View Full Version : Come Hair Type the head O' Arden, please

Arden
June 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Ok it's offical

Clarified with Sauve naturals clarfying shampoo
waited well over 3 hours for hair to dry...

Remained vigilant in NOT touching... even though I super duper WANTED to... lol

So what's my hair type guys??

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Marcie_Coleman/Hair%20Typing%206-28-2012/ht1e.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Marcie_Coleman/Hair%20Typing%206-28-2012/ht2e.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Marcie_Coleman/Hair%20Typing%206-28-2012/ht3e.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/Marcie_Coleman/Hair%20Typing%206-28-2012/ht4e.jpg

Tisiloves
June 27th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I guess...2a.

Diamond.Eyes
June 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I say 2a as well.

jeanniet
June 27th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I'd say 2a. Nice waves!

CurlyCap
June 27th, 2012, 11:31 PM
You have model beach hair! It's perfect like something out of a magazine!

All I know is low 2s, because I'm still learning about wavies. 2a?

starry
June 27th, 2012, 11:33 PM
i vote 2a aswell :) its really pretty too btw :)

LaceyNg
June 27th, 2012, 11:34 PM
i would call that 2a, since i consider it to be too wavy to be an 1. very pretty!

riceball
June 27th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Definite 2a!

SoulOfTheSea
June 27th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Another vote for 2a!

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 12:02 AM
YAY!! 2a it is!

Thank you guys so much for the help and all the lovely sweet comments! I love you guys so much. Best group of hair groupies ever! :D

so for my next question... can you guys tell if i'm F/M/C ? i/ii/iii ??

I'm positive I'm not "iii" but I'm not sure about the other stuff... I guess I'm still trying to grasp how those aspects work

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 12:07 AM
YAY!! 2a it is!

Thank you guys so much for the help and all the lovely sweet comments! I love you guys so much. Best group of hair groupies ever! :D

so for my next question... can you guys tell if i'm F/M/C ? i/ii/iii ??

I'm positive I'm not "iii" but I'm not sure about the other stuff... I guess I'm still trying to grasp how those aspects work

For the i/ii/iii just gather as much of your hair as possible into a ponytail and measure its circumference 2"/5cm or under=i, 2"/5cm-4"/10cm= ii and 4"/10cm or more=iii.

F/M/C refers to strand thickness. If you can barely see or feel a single strand of hair you're a fine, if a single strand is wirey you're a coarse and in between is medium.

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
F/M/C refers to strand thickness. If you can barely see or feel a single strand of hair you're a fine, if a single strand is wirey you're a coarse and in between is medium.

What if you're combination head? lol.... I have some really soft "fine" hairs... I guess they're probably not "truely' fine though.... I also have a couple coarser ones in there... typically it's the salt in my pepper though.... Must be a medium girl I guess...

...now where is that messuring tape :D

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 12:22 AM
What if you're combination head? lol.... I have some really soft "fine" hairs... I guess they're probably not "truely' fine though.... I also have a couple coarser ones in there... typically it's the salt in my pepper though.... Must be a medium girl I guess...

Just pick your best guess, some of my hairs are less than half the thickness of my others.

torrilin
June 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Everyone's a combination. EVERYONE.

You're looking for the dominant impression. So while my type says F, that does not mean there are no coarse hairs on my head. In fact, I've got quite a few... but when you can go through 100 000 strands of hair attached to your head to fish out 2 or 3 easy to find coarse hairs to show people, that does not mean your hair is coarse. I've got a lot more medium strands, but if I fish a single strand out of the mass to show people, chances are it's F.

Really, the same thing goes for curl pattern. There are individual hairs on my head that are somewhere in the 4s for curl level. This doesn't make me a 4something curly because I can literally count the number of hairs that do this on my hands. A lot of curlier ladies will describe their hair as being multiple types because they have individual curls or sections of curls that do not match the overall type.

Very few things found in nature are totally uniform. Humans are not some special exception :).

SongofLove
June 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Haha, I don't have anything to contribute since you've already been typed, but I just wanted to say---that's some sexy hair :D

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Haha, I don't have anything to contribute since you've already been typed, but I just wanted to say---that's some sexy hair :D

Why thank you :D

......ok so I took a pice of ribbon, wrapped it around my hair and pulled till it was in a snug pony tail.... I cut the ribbon where the ends came flush and messured... the ribbon messured at 3 and 3/4 .....so does that make me a ii or ii/iii ?

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Everyone's a combination. EVERYONE.

You're looking for the dominant impression. So while my type says F, that does not mean there are no coarse hairs on my head. In fact, I've got quite a few... but when you can go through 100 000 strands of hair attached to your head to fish out 2 or 3 easy to find coarse hairs to show people, that does not mean your hair is coarse. I've got a lot more medium strands, but if I fish a single strand out of the mass to show people, chances are it's F.

Really, the same thing goes for curl pattern. There are individual hairs on my head that are somewhere in the 4s for curl level. This doesn't make me a 4something curly because I can literally count the number of hairs that do this on my hands. A lot of curlier ladies will describe their hair as being multiple types because they have individual curls or sections of curls that do not match the overall type.

Very few things found in nature are totally uniform. Humans are not some special exception :).

That was really informative... I took your thoughts and went threw and randomly sought out multipal individual hairs to see what came up most... the conclusion being that I am pretty sure I'm "F" .......each individual hairs took alot to get apart and where very thin... I wouldnt nessisarily say "transparent" but definatly like fine strands of silk... Not one pice seemed to take on the texture of cotton thred... I could feel them between my fingers but it when I tried to roll it the pads of my fingers seemed to slid over it more than roll it about like thred....

the only times it seemed like I had "thred like' strands I would inspect further and find that I really hadden gotten all the hair apart and there would be 2 and sometimes 3 or 4 strands still together....

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 11:26 AM

......ok so I took a pice of ribbon, wrapped it around my hair and pulled till it was in a snug pony tail.... I cut the ribbon where the ends came flush and messured... the ribbon messured at 3 and 3/4 .....so does that make me a ii or ii/iii ?

A ii/iii, generally that describes the 3.5-4" crowd.

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Where do I find the hair typing thread? I can't get a picture up now that I've started the curly girl method of hair care but I have these crazy spirals everywhere, if I were smarter I'd figure out how to get a new picture of my freshly dried hair up and let you wonderful experts help me figure out where my hair is now but I'm not so I'll muddle through typing myself if someone would direct me :D

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Where do I find the hair typing thread? I can't get a picture up now that I've started the curly girl method of hair care but I have these crazy spirals everywhere, if I were smarter I'd figure out how to get a new picture of my freshly dried hair up and let you wonderful experts help me figure out where my hair is now but I'm not so I'll muddle through typing myself if someone would direct me :D

Here is the link to the visual hair typing guide http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227

is that what you needed?

bumblebums
June 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM

I think you might be a iii, if only because your hair is currently still short and layered. Once it grows out and most of the hairs are at a longer length, more hair will fit into that ponytail. So while your texture looks like a pretty sure 2a, your thickness typing might be provisional for now :)

SerinaDaith
June 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Here is the link to the visual hair typing guide http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227

is that what you needed?

Yes! Thank you thank you thank you!

Arden
June 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I think you might be a iii, if only because your hair is currently still short and layered. Once it grows out and most of the hairs are at a longer length, more hair will fit into that ponytail. So while your texture looks like a pretty sure 2a, your thickness typing might be provisional for now :)

Yea I was kind of wondering that myself. My hair, although fine, is ENORMOUS if I flip my head over and back.... I have on many occassions had hair dressers complain about the mass of it.... comments ranging from as simple as, "You've got alot more hair than I realized" to "Wow, this takes forever to blow dry"

I guess I'll say ii/iii for now..? but... once it all gets longer I'll redo the mesurments

Tisiloves
June 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yea I was kind of wondering that myself. My hair, although fine, is ENORMOUS if I flip my head over and back.... I have on many occassions had hair dressers complain about the mass of it.... comments ranging from as simple as, "You've got alot more hair than I realized" to "Wow, this takes forever to blow dry"

I guess I'll say ii/iii for now..? but... once it all gets longer I'll redo the mesurments

Sounds like a plan. :D

Niphredil
July 1st, 2012, 03:45 AM
Defenitely a wavy! And 2a looks right to me.

I just read your post about discovering you're a wavy and it sounded familiar. I think society emphasizes on either straight or curly. Everything in between gets either straightened or curled/permed.

I'm a wavy/curly. I get the halo's, the wispy damaged-looking-whilst-they're-not ends, the frizz and the winter induced straightness. Normal haircare (shampoo/conditioner/leave-in) leaves me wavy, additional gels (AV gels or others) and scrunching/plopping gets me curly with spirals between the waves. My canopy has fine strands, the nape area is medium to even coarse. I'm borderline ii/iii and freshly washed it is fluffy and measures type iii thickness, while when it gets greasy and less fluffy I'm type ii thickness.

Your hair looks wonderful! Try different hair care techniques and see how you like your hair best!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2012, 05:21 AM
2A too I reckon. Arden, how did you get your photos on here? I want to put some up too. I just want some - somewhere on here. Lol !!!

Lostsoule77
July 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM

Why don't you just make a pony on top of your head and measure that now instead of waiting for it to grow? ;) :D

Lucky_Lucy
July 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Why don't you just make a pony on top of your head and measure that now instead of waiting for it to grow? ;) :D
Yeah, try it, who knows maybe it'll work! :)